Chapter Four

constellations that point to you

Of what little sleep Chanyeol has, he dreams of a nightmare. 

 

It is hazy yet blinding, coming to him in bright flashes of colours. They move, disappearing as quickly as they come. Chanyeol feels as though he’s stuck in a tornado without an escape. At one point, he watches himself stab daggers on the backs of his EXO colleagues; each one of them letting out an agonized, silent scream. The dream shifts quickly, and suddenly Junmyeon is pointing a gun at him — but the bullet he fires does not reach Chanyeol, stopping just before it pierces his skin. The one holding the trigger changes to the next member, becoming a torturous cycle; from Jongdae, to Kyungsoo, and then Sehun, when suddenly it is Yixing standing in front of him. 

 

“What do you fear?” He asks again, like wind whispering on Chanyeol’s skin. Ghostly voices chatter incessantly from the darkness that shrouds everything around them. What do you fear? They repeat, their high-pitched cries getting louder and louder. What do you fear? What do you fear? 

 

Nothing,” Chanyeol breathes out, as Yixing’s face morphs into Baekhyun. Perfectly poised, alluring from the slope of his eyes to his slightly-parted lips. Gun pointed straight at the heart. The voices are hushed to a deafening silence. Time stands still when a single tear spills from Baekhyun’s right eye. He pulls the trigger, dust and smoke recoiling from the shot. Chanyeol feels himself falling back from the impact, crimson marigolds blossoming from his ribcage. 

 

His eyes flick open from shock. Between the huge gasps of air and the sweat that beads down his pale face, his alarm begins to ring. 

 

 

xx

 

 

Junmyeon arrives back in the base at seven in the morning, not a minute early or late. His sleek, black car rumbles softly as it pulls into the carpark of the building. As the tires cross a faint silvery detection line starting from one entrance wall to the next, Chanyeol observes the nearly invisible laser sensor grids scanning the entirety of Junmyeon’s car before blinking a light green. 

 

“Way not to attract any attention to yourself,” Jongdae drawls, eyeing the glossy black car as he walks up to Chanyeol, but the latter barely has the mood to respond with a smile.

 

In terms of mornings, Chanyeol has seen better days. Right now, he can’t function without a cup of caffeine. Not to mention the current predicament Baekhyun has placed him in by presenting a proposal of alliance. Its terms are still unbeknownst to Chanyeol, and he hates himself for being intrigued. He finds it humorlessly ironic that he had initially planned on EXO forming a truce with the man in order to secure Kim Jongin, but instead, it is given to him just like that; gift wrapped, bowtie and everything. Just that now, it won’t be between the whole branch and Byun Baekhyun. It’d be with Chanyeol, and Chanyeol alone. 

 

“Hey, Park?” 

 

He turns to find a bespectacled Kyungsoo, awkwardly idling behind the two of them. Donned in all black as per usual, he looks considerably troubled as he finds the words he wants to say. “Look.” He scratches his nape before giving Chanyeol a sympathetic look. “I’m sorry for yesterday. I thought about it, and although I still think that a green light for this is extremely unlikely, we can give your idea a shot.” 

 

It annoys him how Baekhyun can read him like an open book. How Baekyun picked him, out of the whole branch, to form an alliance with. He seemed to be aware of Chanyeol’s lack of guilt in potentially breaking the rules of the organization. However, hearing Kyungsoo’s apology, he must admit that the emotion of guilt prods at him a little easier. But he can’t tell them about what Baekhyun has said to him. He just can’t. Not only would they prevent him from going, the very idea that Chanyeol presents lies on the basis of betraying the organisation, effectively breaking the trust they have in him. 

 

“No worries, Kyungsoo,” Chanyeol shrugs, ignoring the sinking feeling tugging at his heart. But he forces it down like bitter medicine, letting out a yawn for good measure. “But I’ve been thinking about it too, and we might as well not waste any time or trouble ourselves even further. We can do this without Byun Baekhyun.” 

 

See, easy. Deceiving people is easy. Chanyeol has picked it up along his whole career, and he hadn’t encountered problems while doing so. Even with Kyungsoo, of all people. 

 

“Oh, um, wow,” Kyungsoo blinks, surprised at Chanyeol’s reply, but he falls for Chanyeol’s clever facade of sincerity nonetheless. “Thanks, Park. I appreciate it.” 

 

Chanyeol shrugs. “Getting rid of him would be the most sensible thing to do.”

 

No, he doesn’t believe it does. In this current time when the NIS is constantly giving into the mafia’s whims, now definitely isn’t the time for them to get stronger. 

 

“So you see what I mean?” Kyungsoo looks relieved. “We shouldn’t execute an impromptu plan like that.” 

 

There are a lot of ‘shouldn’t’s in Chanyeol’s career. But the ends justify the means. The ends always justify the means. Rendezvous with Baekhyun in Seoul, extract enough information from him and then reveal it to the rest of EXO. Sure, they’ll probably be mad but once they catch Kim Jongin they’ll be able to tweak some of the information in the report, right? Chanyeol thinks it through. A flimsy plan, but he isn’t really one for planning. 

 

But then there is Baekhyun, spilling over too much charisma and having way too good an eye for seeing through the likes of Chanyeol. It is unfair, really, that he feels so transparent around the man. Chanyeol supposes he tends to pride himself in the quality of his work. Every outfield agent has a certain way they like to carry out their missions. Some are similar, while some contrast. Its a good thing that Jongdae is his partner; both are quick to follow-through, brash when they have to be, and always ready to get each other out of a tough spot. 

 

However, they do have their fair share of disagreements, mainly because most people may find Chanyeol… unethical in carrying out missions. He’s changed, though, Junmyeon would say, laughing nervously to the Seoul agents. Really, he has. He used to be worse, but he’s changed. Chanyeol doesn’t know if unethical is the right word, but he can certainly say he doesn’t care for the consequences of actions he deems necessary. And meeting Baekhyun may well be one of them. And he knows no one would allow him to go, even Sehun, who Chanyeol knows has planted this seed of doubt in his mind, would still think that Baekhyun is forming some sort of trap. It is unsettling to say the least that Baekhyun’s the first to figure out Chanyeol’s line of thoughts and actions just by exchanging a few words. 

 

 No need to accept his proposal straight away, Chanyeol assures himself wearily. Just meet him at the Bridge and see what he has to say. But somehow, he just has the feeling that Baekhyun knows that’s exactly what he’s planning to do. 

 

The steel doors on their left open with a gush of cold air, Junmyeon walking in looking more tired than usual, but Chanyeol has spent enough years with his boss to know that the man can go days without sleep and still complete an undercover mission in the designated timeframe. He wasn’t placed in charge of the EXO branch for nothing. 

 

“Where is he?” Junmyeon says as soon as he steps in, glancing at his watch. Straight to the point, as always. 

 

“Slammer, boss,” Jongdae replies, the three of them turning around to catch up to Junmyeon, who’s already walked past them towards the elevator. “Didn’t make much of a fuss.” 

 

“Good.” Junmyeon looks at Chanyeol’s way pointedly. “I trust that there were no more dogfights.” 

 

“He picked up some light bruises from Park’s fists. But they’ll heal,” Jongdae replies again.

 

“Your arm?” 

 

“Just a light scratch.” 

 

Junmyeon huffs an airy sigh. “I’m glad everyone is fine. Byun Baekhyun may not look it, but he is extremely dangerous. We have to leave him up to Seoul headquarters.” He gives Kyungsoo a nod. "You did the right thing." 

 

Chanyeol resists the urge to roll his eyes. The Seoul agents will yet again hide behind a curtain of confidentiality, taking everything in their custody with them. As long as Chanyeol remains within the confinements of EXO, Seoul HQ will never let him even speak to Baekhyun again. Granted, they have a good excuse; with EXO only being able to focus internationally. Bringing Baekhyun back to Seoul immediately labels him as a domestic case.

 

 They all board the elevator, silent as the doors close and bring them underground. Chanyeol glances at Junmyeon a few times, before asking the question bugging him ever since Junmyeon walked in. 

 

“Hey, boss,” he says. “How’re you so calm about Byun? Were you not close to him when he was still in the NIS?” 

 

Junmyeon is quiet for a second, before his head turns to face Chanyeol. “We weren’t close. He was a genius for his age. Missions we did together with the Seoul agents were strictly professional. Didn’t see him that often because he usually went on missions himself, but working with him for a while did teach me a little bit about who he really was. Back then, at least.” 

 

“Care to share?” Kyungsoo says. 

 

“He is a hard man to read, I’m sure you all have discovered it by now,” Junmyeon says, backed up by their nods of agreement. “During the planning phases of our missions, he was a very serious boy. Way too mature for an eighteen... nineteen year old. But when it came to working undercover, it was like he had a different personality entirely.” 

 

“What?” Jongdae comments, smiling incredulously. “You tellin’ me he’s a good actor now?” 

 

Chanyeol’s eyes fixate on the ground. You don’t know the half of it.  

 

“He’s an expert in deception.” Junmyeon walks out as the elevator doors open. “We can’t underestimate him. However, I do understand your intentions using him to catch Jongin, Agent Park. The mafia made a move last night. I wanted to inform everyone  but Sehun isn’t here. I’ll just let him know later.” 

 

This is shocking to all three. They had calculated that the mafia would retaliate after they had made a scene in their home country; trying to find Jongin to work towards their demise, but they didn’t know that it would be this quick.

 

“What happened, Junmyeon?” Kyungsoo asks hurriedly. 

 

“Agent Seulgi was attacked an hour ago.” He replies. “A pair of assassins located her in France. Thankfully, she made it out of the fight alive. But she can’t stay there any longer, her cover’s been blown. Agent D.O, the NIS has an order to bring her back from France. Do so after transporting Baekhyun to Seoul.” 

 

“…Roger,” Kyungsoo says, exchanging glances with Chanyeol. Something’s off. Its too soon for them to execute a counter attack. In addition, how were they able to locate Seulgi so fast? The whole thing didn’t line up. They were sure that the mafia doesn’t have technology and a skill base as advanced and ranged as their own. In fact, according to the timeline of events that happened last night, their response is practically instantaneous. Was it a retaliation to their attempt in finding Kim Jongin or a complete coincidence?

 

“What’s Agent Seulgi doing in France?” Jongdae frowns. “Seoul agents are in charge of domestic affairs.” 

 

Junmyeon curls his lip, sighing. “That’s what it says on paper, but EXO is plainly just a cover for the NIS to do the work they don’t want to dirty their hands in. As of late, the Seoul agents are branching out into the Europe situation as well.” 

 

Well, that . Personally, Chanyeol doesn’t like the Seoul agents meddling in their business mainly because he doesn’t think they’re up for it. EXO was carefully chosen among the best agents in the NIS and the fact that the NIS wants to be involved in their work — but not enough to get the blame — strikes a large cord within him. That, and also having the power to tell him what he can and cannot do. 

 

“Okay, but how do we even know that its the mafia who attacked her?” Chanyeol presses. “It could be the MI6. Both are situated in Europe and close enough to France.” 

 

“Well, this is just a hunch,” Junmyeon replies, his voice lowering. “But because of the attack on Agent Seulgi, I think that the MI6 and the mafia are connected.” 

 

“What?” Jongdae sputters, exchanging a worried glance with Chanyeol and Kyungsoo. “Boss, are you sure?” 

 

Junmyeon looks at them, stopping in the middle of the hallway, as the they follow suite. “No. Its just a hunch. But of course there is not enough evidence to prove that a British spy organisation is collaborating with illegal criminals. I already addressed this to the NIS but it got rejected due to lack of evidence.” 

 

It is rare for Junmyeon to declare something without definitive truth. And for him to be so adamant about a hunch that he even requested the NIS to investigate it. Of course, it is relatively hard to believe, since the mafia has been stirring up trouble for the MI6 as well. Hence, the thought hadn’t really come up to the rest of them. 

 

“What makes you say that, Junmyeon?” Kyungsoo asks, beating Chanyeol to it. “Its common knowledge that the mafia is causing trouble for both the MI6 and the NIS.” 

 

“I don’t know,” Junmyeon grumbles, his steps quickening. “The MI6 could’ve been the ones who ambushed Agent Seulgi, but the technique in doing so is crass like the mafia. That’s why I’ve been suspicious. The attack is way too obvious for the MI6, and too quick for it to be the mafia.” 

 

A solemn silence envelops their conversation. Something just doesn’t fit the puzzle pieces together. Chanyeol tries to connect everything he knows from the NIS together with the situation, but it doesn’t make sense. Junmyeon is right, the assassination couldn’t have possibly happened if the MI6 and the mafia were at loggerheads with each other; which is the information the NIS provided them with. All of a sudden, Baekhyun’s words slither into his brain, bits and pieces of ‘I gave them the encryption’ and ‘you can’t trust the NIS, either’ oddly click in his muddle of thoughts. 

 

They will let me out ... I have a deal with them.’

 

He stops in his tracks, right before the closed-off entrance of the Slammer. Agent Seulgi couldn’t have possibly been attacked by either of them alone.  

 

Unless someone has been providing either the MI6 or the mafia with insider NIS intelligence. 

 

“Park, you alright?” Jongdae’s voice snaps him out of his thoughts. Surprised to find himself staring hard at the ground, he looks up to see Jongdae standing in front of him, an eyebrow raised. Junmyeon and Kyungsoo have already opened the Slammer, walking in before Chanyeol had noticed. 

 

“Yeah.” Chanyeol smiles dismissively. “Just exhausted.” 

 

See, easy. Deceiving people is really easy. Baekhyun should know, Chanyeol thinks, as he walks into the Slammer, looking straight at Baekhyun’s bruised, yet awfully smug face. He’s deceived an entire organization. 

 

 

xx

 

 

He has a rogue agent to , but he just can’t concentrate. Baekhyun had predicted everything perfectly. Junmyeon did indeed instruct Jongdae and himself to deliver Baekhyun to Seoul (much to Chanyeol’s pure annoyance that he is, yet again, correct). While Chanyeol packs the bare essentials for a one night stay, Sehun skulks into his room. 

 

“Look, hyung,” he starts, a guilty look crossing his features. “I’m sorry for saying those stuff earlier. Maybe I got too ahead of myself.” 

 

Junmyeon coming back to base must’ve inflicted a sudden conscience in Sehun. And of course, if anyone were to find out that Agent Park is colluding with a criminal of the organisation, Sehun would definitely be a loose end. The latter had already crossed a hard boundary by revealing the existence of the decryption process to Chanyeol; even if he was aware of it or not. And if Agent Park were to be brought down by this little scheme he has with Baekhyun, he can’t imagine having Sehun face the same consequences. 

 

“You’re right,” Chanyeol replies crudely. “I’m glad you’ve come to your senses, Sehun. Let’s never speak of this again.” 

 

Sehun seems hurt by Chanyeol’s icy, dismissive tone, but he seems to understand nonetheless. He gives a slow, cautious nod. 

 

“Say hi to the guys at Seoul for me,” he mutters politely, before disappearing behind the entrance of Chanyeol’s door. 

 

Once Chanyeol is sure that he is gone, he slumps onto his bed in a tired heap. He can’t believe he isn’t having second thoughts about this. Despite what a ticking time bomb Baekhyun is, Chanyeol has never been so sure of doing something. He thinks back the past hour, where Junmyeon chatted with Baekhyun in the Slammer. There was no grilling, no spiteful, hateful remarks. Just an ordinary conversation. That’s what struck the whole ordeal as weird. Besides pleasantries, Junmyeon asked Baekhyun calmly what he had been doing, to which the latter replied with a “Oh, Suho, you know I can’t tell you”, and a chuckle that didn’t hold his usual tone of mockery. If Chanyeol didn’t know better, and if Baekhyun wasn’t standing in a small cell, he’d think that the both of them were friends. 

 

Junmyeon says they weren’t close, but there is a faint fondness in their exchange that bears no bad blood. It is odd, really. Baekhyun is a criminal to the organisation. But Junmyeon isn’t one to lose his composure either, so the situation was hard to read as it is. 

 

He glances over at the clock. It is almost time. Chanyeol grabs his bag, heading out to the drop ship pad. Kyungsoo and Jongdae are already there, and in between them stands Baekhyun, the ghost of a smile flitting across his lips making Chanyeol avert his gaze. His face, while adorning small patches of black and blue, still manages to look shamelessly confident. Upon seeing Chanyeol walk in, Kyungsoo lowers the plug door, getting in first before Jongdae ensures that Baekhyun does. 

 

“We’re taking the water route to Seoul,” Kyungsoo says absentmindedly, sitting himself in the cockpit and turning on a few switches. The drop ship softly hums to life. “As usual.” 

 

Baekhyun looks around. Despite already being in the drop ship once, he still looks in awe of being inside the vehicle. “They never had this before.” Chanyeol hears him mouth out. Jongdae shudders, making sure his seatbelt is tightly fastened. 

 

“You know I really can’t get used to being underwater. Makes my ears pop,” he complains. “Also, my arm is getting better, thanks for asking everyone.” 

 

Chanyeol raises an eyebrow. “You’ve dealt with worse.” 

 

“No thanks to you,” Jongdae glares, but it holds no hard feelings. He turns to Baekhyun, sarcastically saying, “So, Byun, excited to see your old workplace?” 

 

“Wouldn’t call it ideal,” Baekhyun replies, with a placid smile. “But it will be nice to see some old faces after a while.” 

 

There is a brief silence, until Jongdae replies gruffly, “you haven’t gone back since?” 

 

“Oh, I have,” Baekhyun says. “But only once, a month after… I quit.” 

 

Jongdae looks at Chanyeol, giving him a look. “Well there’s a story, huh, Park?” 

 

Chanyeol remains quiet, focusing his gaze on Baekhyun, an indication for him to continue. 

 

“Its not much. They just tracked me down and brought me back to run some investigations. Wanted to kill me, I figured. But we had that deal going on, you know. So I was released, no charges. Tried to assassinate me the following year, but, well. I had bigger threats.” 

 

He’s talking about the Scotland expedition, Chanyeol realises, as Baekhyun’s eyes flicker towards his direction in a brief, knowing look. 

 

“Damn, who knows if they’ll kill you this time,” Jongdae says heavy words with a distinctively light tone. 

 

Baekhyun tilts his head. “They could’ve easily done it in the past few years if they could.” 

 

But they can’t, for whatever reasons Baekhyun has up his sleeves, they can’t. Jongdae doesn’t ask any other questions after that. Things are tense enough with Baekhyun around. Chanyeol looks out at the small window next to the plug door, the watery image of the island’s rocks a blurry grey as the drop ship leaves the Jeju base, propelling towards the sea surface. 

 

Sehun’s voice crackles in his earpiece. “It was nice seeing you, my friends. Its a shame you can’t stay longer. Anyways, Junmyeon asked me to repeat the protocol, so here goes...” He clears his throat melodramatically, eliciting a scoff out of Kyungsoo. “Agent Park transfers Byun Baekhyun to the Seoul Headquarters. Due to the unforeseen circumstances, Agent Chen will assist Agent D.O in a rendezvous with Agent Seulgi to bring her back to Seoul.” 

 

“Ugh, why me,” Jongdae groans. “I’m an injured man.” 

 

“Did Junmyeon not tell you guys?” Sehun replies blankly. “Baekhyun made it clear that he’d only comply if Chanyeol is the one to him to Seoul.” 

 

Jongdae frowns, eyes darting towards Baekhyun suspiciously, sharing Chanyeol’s look of mild surprise. Baekhyun blinks at them innocently. He might’ve been correct in his predictions, Chanyeol notices, but it isn’t dumb luck. Baekhyun has tricks up his sleeve to make things go his way. 

 

“Tell me why he can make conditions,” Jongdae grumbles. “He’s the captive here.” Baekhyun does not seem interested in their conversation, eyes glazing over, relaxed. 

 

“He said you’re too noisy,” Sehun huffs. “And if Seoul has to listen to his conditions, you think Junmyeon can just ignore them?” 

 

They are interrupted by the drop ship swerving abruptly to the left, the ocean waves above them crashing against the blackened island’s edge; their momentum bringing the drop ship along with them. They almost crash into the rocks if not for Kyungsoo. 

 

“Hold on,” he calls from the cockpit. The drop ship whirs loudly, gaining both power and speed, its propellers churning the sea water as the drop ship rockets away from the island. “Don’t get too comfortable,” he adds, the drop ship plummeting lower and lower as they travel at a faster pace. “Trip’s only thirty minutes.” 

 

Chanyeol takes the opportunity to look everywhere other than Baekhyun’s direction. The white lights lining the ceiling of the interior, the screens of computers computing data of their surroundings, the stock crates tucked neatly at a corner. But there’s a limit to what Chanyeol can look at inside the drop ship, and occasionally his eyes meet Baekhyun’s, who sits comfortably opposite him, beside a scowling Jongdae. 

 

This is torturous, Chanyeol sighs inwardly, Baekhyun’s presence weighing on him like stacks of bricks. Finally, after staring at the bland, grey floor way past the time he started to get bored, Chanyeol lifts his head slowly, only to catch Baekhyun already looking at him, expression unreadable. An uneasy feeling of awkwardness creeps into Chanyeol’s nerves. Don’t trust him, the voice comes back, whispering fervently. Don’t trust him. You have no reason to trust him. Baekhyun catches his glance with heavy-lidded eyes, the corner of his mouth twitching upwards ever so slightly. Pretty boy, the words blurt themselves out in Chanyeol’s mind. A dangerous treachery. Yixing’s voice arises from his cloud of thoughts, sympathetic and rueful. What have you gotten yourself into this time, Park?

 

Thankfully, Baekhyun chooses to be silent for the rest of the trip, minutes crawling slowly for the seconds to catch up when the drop ship finally slows down, indicating that they reached the Seoul Headquarters.  Chanyeol feels the vehicle stop, suspended in the dark ocean waters. Freeing himself from the tight seatbelt, he walks towards the cockpit, metal doors automatically opening as they detect his presence. He is greeted by a front row view of the underwater entrance of the Seoul headquarters, protected by a circular steel door wide enough for the drop ship to travel through. Shrouded in darkness, it is impossible to see — without the two headlamps Kyungsoo turns on — as it hides deep in the crevasses of a gigantic cave that makes up part of a wide sea stack. 

 

Faint laser sensors draw themselves on the outline of the drop ship before blinking a sharp red. The sound of a click is heard before a voice comes through the cockpit comm. 

 

“DROPSHIP:1004 requesting entry, the sensors have detected that you are carrying an unrecorded identity on board. Agent D.O of EXO Branch, declare the hostility before stating reasons for access.” 

 

Chanyeol recognizes that voice. The head of the defense department; Agent Taemin. 

 

Kyungsoo turns behind to face Chanyeol while sitting on the pilot seat in frustrated bewilderment. “Don’t they know that we have him?” He grumbles under his breath. However, before Chanyeol can say anything, he turns back and presses the loudspeaker button. 

 

“This is Agent D.O of EXO reporting to Seoul HQ,” he responds professionally. “Unrecorded identity has been disclosed earlier by Agent Suho. We are here to transfer rogue agent Byun Baekhyun for investigation.” 

 

A heavy, almost suffocating silence envelops them, Taemin only responding after what was a minute. 

 

“Information provided is in accordance to the disclosed report,” he says. The sensors blink green and the circular steel door rolls to the side. “Access granted to DROPSHIP:1004.” 

 

Kyungsoo pushes a small lever and presses two buttons, the drop ship starting to move slowly into the Headquarters. Once the full vehicle enters, the steel door moves back to its original place, creating a short wave underwater due to impact. Dotting the cylindrical area they were travelling through, beads of light flicker on consecutively to guide their way. The reality that he had entered the wolf’s mouth sinks in. The Seoul HQ isn’t exactly a comfort zone for him. Chanyeol walks out of the cockpit and back to the main body of the drop ship. Even Jongdae wears a grimace, eyes darting towards him warily. 

 

“Not your favourite place?” Baekhyun glances at the both of them. When neither reply, he leans back on his seat, albeit tightly restricted by the seatbelt across both his shoulders, and adds, “huh, me too.” 

 

They’ve escorted numerous of targets back to Headquarters before. Usually, it does not go well. The loud sounds of the lights turning on as the drop ship travels through the tunnel of water are enough for their captives to either spew out empty, colourful threats, which dissolves quickly into desperate pleads for their lives. The ordeal often ends with either Jongdae or Chanyeol making them bite onto a gag or knocking them out clean with a single punch. No prizes for guessing who uses which method. 

 

Baekhyun does none of those things. Legs dangling innocently, barely reaching the floor, he is a quiet calm. If he were to be scared like all the other guys before him, Chanyeol wouldn’t know. He’s too busy avoiding Baekhyun’s line of sight. The latter’s unpredictability plucks at his nerves, and his attractive proposal hanging by Chanyeol’s fingertips rings loudly in his head. Instead, hand against the wall, he leans his weight on it while waiting for them to reach the water landing pad. The drop ship jerks slightly with a thunk, its engines purring to a stop. Kyungsoo emerges from the cockpit with a breathy sigh, pulling off his black gloves and placing them neatly in a small compartment beside him. 

 

“We’re here,” he says, glancing at them, as if to urge them to make a move on. 

 

Jongdae chews his lower lip, looking Chanyeol’s way with a somewhat sympathetic expression. “Guess this is where we part, Park. D.O and I will follow the drop ship up to the sky launch pad.”

 

“Pick me up tomorrow?” Chanyeol says casually, unbuckling Baekhyun’s seatbelt and holding the latter by the shoulder. For protocol reasons, Kyungsoo tosses a piece of rope from said compartment to Chanyeol, who uses it to tie Baekhyun’s hands behind him. It really isn’t necessary, considering that the sensors at the entrance would have detected any dangerous firearms if the captive were to have one. However, protocol is protocol, and protocol states that all captured hostilities must be secured properly. 

 

Kyungsoo snorts. “After I deliver Agent Seulgi back here, I’m driving this straight back to Jeju. We don’t have any outstanding missions for tomorrow, and I’m planning to get every bit of rest I can get.” 

 

All the better. Chanyeol nods, pulling out his pistol to hold against Baekhyun’s back. Jongdae opens the plug door for him, the latch sliding sideways in a smooth motion. “Wish me luck?” Chanyeol says wryly. He catches a sliver of amusement crossing Baekhyun’s features. 

 

Jongdae smiles at his bitter joke. “You’ll be fine, just make sure you don’t run into Agent Xiumin and then get the hell out of there.” 

 

“That’ll be hard to do,” Baekhyun suddenly says, grabbing their attention instantly. They follow his gaze out of the plug door. A man with slicked hair almost as white as his skin stares back at them. Donning a smart tailored suit coupled with a pair of round glasses, he pockets his hands, leaning against the iron railing as he watches them stand by the entrance of the drop ship, dumbfounded. Though he stands halfway across the room, he scans each of their faces from right to left before his gaze lands on Baekhyun. A prominent frown hardens his features. 

 

And yet, while Jongdae breaks out into a cold sweat, Baekhyun has the audacity to wear his usual mockery, grinning as he stares at the man below. 

 

“If it isn’t Agent Xiumin,” he calls, smiling coyly. “Nice to see you again after eight years, Minseok.” 

 

Despite Baekhyun’s obvious disrespect in mentioning his real name, Minseok chuckles mirthlessly, pushing his back off the railing to stand on his own weight. The lead investigator’s presence even makes Chanyeol feel slightly intimidated, though not as much as Sehun and Jongdae make it out to be. However, Minseok does have an undeniably strong character, clearly unfazed by Baekhyun’s taunt. The slant of his eyelids narrow almost haughtily as he looks up at the drop ship, unamused expression enough to tell them that he does not plan to entertain Baekhyun’s light ridicule. 

 

“Welcome home, Byun Baekhyun,” he replies, scathing on the tongue. “We all missed you so much.”