Fireworks Works In Different Ways

Wear My Heart to Keep You Warm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nayeon probably stinks, considering that it’s her 2nd day, 3rd night in the ward. She wears her sister’s sweater as her pyjamas—somehow, its embrace on Nayeon’s cold body reminds her that this isn’t the real world that she’s starting to like.

 

Nayeon’s lying on her bed while her legs play around with each other, trying to remeber every minute of the day, detailing everything in her journal that happened today before she calls it a night.

 

Day 2, 21:44

I only have a few minutes left before I sl eep. Jisoo and I finally talked with each other after all those awkward staring at each other and Jieun’s constant push that we should talk to each other. Jisoo would only end up with a question of “what are we going to talk about?” but she’d fail because i don’t know what to say, i’m just always shrugging my head—

 

 

“You’re the only one who haven’t introduced yourself to Nayeon,” Jieun scolds the younger girl with a joking matter, standing beside with Jisoo in front of the three girls sitting on the bench at the nurses’ station. “Go on.”

“Fine,” she slumps her crossed arms in defeat and sits beside Nayeon. “I’m Jisoo .”

The older girl just smiles amusingly at how she acts.

“See?” Jisoo points out frustratingly at Nayeon while she turns her head to look at Jieun. “She doesn’t speak, she just always smile. She’s probably the hardest person to talk to!”

Jennie purposely smacks her lips loud, intriguing all the other audience around her. “Actually, you guys have a lot in common.”

Yeri just sits there listening to the girls’ conversation as she waits for someone to wake up.

“Really...?” Jisoo raises her left eyebrow, quite suspicious because nothing seems to be similar with them. “What is it then?”

“Puppies.”

 

 

— when we both heard that heavenly word, good god our eyes just sparkled. She has a pet dog named Dalgom in Gunpo (that’s where she lives, apparently). Since her mom doesn’t know how to cook, she grew up with eating fast foods. Literally. She didn’t went to School for 9 days because she kept playing video games nonstop, that’s why her mom had to ask help from the professionals—she was aggressive to her mom when she plugged the monitor off. She told me she’s guilty that she didn’t fed Dalgom at her right schedule because even she can’t make herself take a shower. That’s why she smells, too, I noticed, but I just zipped my lips. She hasn’t taken a bath for 17 days, and I told her that she really needs it because she might develop UTI or something. She seems to be scared by my warning, that’s why she promised that she’ll wake up early tomorrow to take a shower. Jieun said Jisoo only listens to me because they actually warned her before, but she didn’t seem to take it seriously. Maybe it’s because of the details I gave her about UTI. Also! The slippers that i’m wearing is actually Jisoo’s, she pointed it out to me. I thought my mom just bought a new pair for me. I was walking, only wearing socks to protect my feet from the cold floor, to the nurse’s station to take the medicine before i sleep for my first night here. I didn’t notice that she saw it and apparently, she lend Bogum her too big slippers after she saw me asleep. She was kind of shy, so she asked him to keep it a secret until they finally talk. It fits me perfectly, and now she’s telling her that it’s a gift so I wouldn’t forget about her—

 

 

“Jisoo basically thought she was staying here for some sleepover. When she woke up, she couldn’t find her mom. She thought she just went out, probably buying her a quarter pounder on Mcdonald’s, but when she looked at the door, it’s completely locked up. Everyone thought she’d scream and punch, but she ended up just talking with Jieun.”

Yeri reveals Jisoo’s wild entrance that occurred during the 8th of October. She’s almost nearly a month staying inside, just like Joy, that’s why she knows everything.

“Yeah,” the younger girl rolls her eyes as she sees Bogum approaching them. “I’m completely innocent, but they made me look like i’m harmful. I still can’t believe a mother would leave her own child at this kind of place and come back after a week and say she’s sorry.”

“She must be really sorry tho—”

 

“Our baby chick has awoken!”

 

 

—That’s when I met Joy for the first time. She says she’s a chick because she is, so we just have to go with that. Yeri helped Joy a lot, and Joy’s mom couldn’t thank her enough. She got depressed after being bullied by her own friends, being a varsity and keeping her 

grades up, and the news of her parents getting divorced. She smashed her head on the thick wall until she fell unconscious and somewhere in the part of her brain got damaged, hence, the result of her abnormal actions and speech. They say this is a miracle, but to me, this is a friendship that met in the weirdest circumstance—

 

 

The tall girl literally looks like she just woke up. She’s even scratching her stomach, revealing her chubby tummy. She laughs playfully, a demeanour plan going ahead inside her mind. She lets out a loud and smelly fart before she gives an ‘ooh’ with a little giggle for satisfaction when everybody moved away from her while they complain about the smell. Greeting everyone, her eyes, a bit parted, waves her hand, “G-Good morning! And a kiss kiss to my... to my baby, Yeri.”

She was already walking towards the small girl to give her a kiss, but she hides behind Nayeon, the reason that she’s a stranger to the tall girl.

 

“Oh? Hello! I-I’m Joy! Joy means happiness, s-so be happy!”

 

She shows a sign of confusion, but still tries to flirt with an unfamiliar face in front of her. She scratches her head as she tilts her head, her left hand looking like a dinosaur’s with its tight position, her fingers playing with each other. She looks at Wendy and questions her, “Why... Why am I—am I seeing pretty girls go inside here l-lately?” 

Wendy went inside the ward just a day before Nayeon, and the girl mistook her as a patient that’s been in the ward for a longer period of time because of how close she is to everybody and how comfortable she is to the place.

“This is the first time she complimented me!” Wendy didn’t think much of the younger girl’s rhetorical question, but rather who’s involved with. “I knew you think I’m pretty! You’re just teasing me.”

Joy quickly denies Wendy’s assumption, her ticks coming off suddenly. “N-No, I’m just talking about her and Umji and Mi-Mina!”

“Umji and Mina came here 2 week ago though, what are you talking about?” Yeri laughs at Joy as she looks at her with so much care.

 

“W-Why is my Yeri t-teaming up with the ugly o-one?”

 

“Hey!” Wendy scoffs as she tries to keep herself calm.

“Why w-would a pretty girl g-go here?”

“She’s depressed, too,” Yeri states, fixing Joy’s hair and turns her head to look at the girl on her left, holding her hand. “And her name’s Nayeon.”

“Y-You know, I’m depressed, too,” Joy tries to comfort Nayeon even though the latter looks alright. “I h-hit my head on the wall!”

“And you’re proud of that?” Yeri laughs.

 

“Yes!”

 

“Show me how you did it,” Jieun’s just sarcastic, but Joy took it seriously and is already on her position to do what she did before. 

 

“I’M JUST KIDDING!”

 

“Jieun, you’re stupid!” Wendy smacks the latter on the back of her head.

 

Everyone jumps in their seats as they approach the said girl, but the Joy turns to them and let out a giggle again. 

“W-Why would you guys think I’d do it again? I was just t-trying to be l-like Jieun, always k-kidding around.”

Joy and Jieun had to go inside the nurses’ station and listen to their sermon as they both look at each other, trying not to laugh.

 

 

—Jieun’s actually a pretty cool person. I stayed for the first time because of her. We talked about what’s in a mentally ill person’s head, like, literally. We talked about how we’re so much alike, but the only difference in us is that she’s really a sociable person. Wendy stayed, too, and showed me her deep cut. About Joy, I think she’s really cute with her plump cheeks and chubby stomach. She’s a real flirt especially with Yeri (since the nurses tease them as a couple), but Yeri would always tell them that she already has a boyfriend. Joy told her that she’d wait for them to breakup. That was really funny because I think Yeri and her boyfriend would never breakup. They’re all just fooling around, but I think Umji and especially Mina, are serious, but they’re actually not. I think there’s something with Momo and Mina, but maybe it’s just because they’re both Japanese. I don’t know—

 

 

“Y-You’re gay?” 

 

They all laughed at Nayeon’s reaction while Umji keeps herself calm.

“I-I mean, I don’t mean to offend you,” Nayeon tries to explain herself, but she was quickly cut off by Umji.

“No,” she denies as they went to the activity area for a little gathering their group have. “I actually think that it’s a compliment that you didn’t assume anything. It’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter