Friends Stick Together

Wear My Heart to Keep You Warm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Nayeon,” the doctor calls her.

The room itself makes her want to disappear. It’s as if she’s being recorded or read through her body language and she hate it to the guts. There’s a skeleton in front of her, looking dead as ever, which she wishes she is now. She only wants to die and nothing else.

“You disregard your life now, but your friends saved you. You have real friends that you can count on, and I’m really happy for that.”

Nayeon’s looking at the floor, failing to control her body shaking for some unknown reason. What’s all in her head is that she regretted texting the youngest girl a farewell, not knowing that they were already on their way to her home.

 

, , .

Chaeyoung received a letter in the mailbox from Nayeon half an hour ago, bidding farewell. Their group knew already what Nayeon’s dealing with, and within the two weeks of being in hell, Nayeon didn’t seem to be doing a progress even after taking her prescribed medicines.

“Jeongyeon, we are ing running out of time!” Chaeyoung cusses in panic. She just wants to go to Nayeon’s house as soon as possible because this is the second time she’s attempting, but today, with a letter that surely goes that she really has decided to finally do it.

They’re waiting for Jihyo at the bus stop but she’s stuck talking with the coordinator of the student council even though she keeps saying that it’s an emergency and she doesn’t know what’s her friend’s condition and she wants to know badly, save her from what she’s about to do. Nayeon turned off her phone and even the telephone line, the three of them can’t reach out to her in any possible way.

He threatened Jihyo that he will report her as an irresponsible student council president if she goes in her own accord, leaving all her members behind just so she can escape and do what she wants.

‘What a head’, they all think.

“I know, I know, but we have to wait—” Jeongyeon’s also panicking, walking back and forth, pulling her hair with both of her hands, but she was cut off by the small girl.

“No, Jeongyeon! One of us have to be there for Nayeon, for Christ’s sake!” Chaeyoung decides, already walking to her bike. “I don’t care that her house is far from here, I just want to go there and make sure she’s safe.”

“But—”

“Wait Jihyo here and I’ll text you about Nayeon.”

Chaeyoung looks at her phone before pedaling.

Nayeon

I don’t think I have time left to make a whole book of how thankful I am for meeting you, Chaeyoung. I just want you to know that what I’m about to do is my choice and I’m actually happy that I know my life is ending very soon. Don’t cry, okay? Sorry that you won’t see me again. You’re a good friend and the world deserves more people like you. Bye

19:32

She curses to herself as she hopes she’s not late. She decided to keep the text to herself so Jihyo and Jeongyeon wouldn’t be worried twice as they do already.

 

“Ma’am, I am strict with a patient like Nayeon,” the doctor said as she softly pats Nayeon’s hand. “She’s a smart girl, really. She knows she needs help but she just can’t find anyone who can understand what she’s feeling. That’s why she agreed to be in a Ward for at least two weeks. She’ll stay there until she shows signs of recovery. Don’t worry, she will be monitored every second. She’s safer there than being on her own outside.”

Nayeon can see her mom’s tears streaming down on her cheeks. She’s worried sick about her daughter. She barely talks, even routine of singing every morning which she knows her daughter really loves to do. She just has that bland look in her eyes as if there is no soul behind it. She wipes her tears as she composed herself. “But can I at least see her?”

“She’s not allowed to have a visitor for a week, I’m sorry. The resident doctor and I need to know which are her stressors so we can avoid it. I called a staff already and they’re on their way here.”

 

“Someone’s life is in danger and you’re more concerned about this pointless meeting of yours?”

“How dare you talk to me like that?”

“I don’t know what’s happening with Jihyo but she looks like she’s about to cry while you talk about your plans that doesn’t really help the School. Why would you think she’s lying to you?”

“Because it’s obviously a lie.”

“No, you know what? This meeting is over. Jihyo, Tzuyu, Seulgi, Irene—let’s end this meeting and have a private one in another day without Mr. Choi.”

Jihyo’s really thankful for Sana even though she got a detention… and a talk with the principal.

“Don’t worry about me, worry about your friend. Go to her! Now!”

It’s almost 20:00 and she run as fast as she could to her car and asks her driver to pick up Jeongyeon at the bus stop.

She can see Jeongyeon running after her car even though they haven’t parked at the side. She immediately opened the car door and sit beside Jihyo, hugging her already. She knows how precious Nayeon is to Jihyo even though she always acts like there’s a wall between them just to see her pout. A hug from Jeongyeon made her tear up, remembering all her memories with Nayeon.

She never knew Nayeon can reach to this.

She never knew Nayeon can think like this.

She never knew Nayeon can end up like this.

And now, all she thinks is her fault not seeing these symptoms.

“Chaeyoung’s on her way, don’t worry. Nayeon’s gonna be fine, I know,” Jeongyeon whispers, trying to comfort her at the worst situation. She doesn’t know what to do but hug Jihyo.

 

“I love you, remember that, okay?”

That was Nayeon’s mom’s last word as she looks back at the locked door. She saw her mom peeking, the last tear saying goodbye for the meantime before she makes a turn.

Nayeon used to be happy playing with wheelchairs but this is a different case. Yeah, they say it’s bad to play with something like this but she’s just a kid, curious with everything. She remembers Jeongyeon having a cast on her left feet around October and they had trouble borrowing the wheelchair from the clinic because it’s taking up their time every Recess and Lunch, so they improvise.

“I think this is a bad idea.”

Chaeyoung scoffs, not being able to comprehend that the one who always make trouble would say something about being caught. “You really think we’d leave you waiting with the rude nurse?”

“Yeah,” Nayeon agrees as she presses “1” in the elevator. She looks back at her and crosses her arms proudly, “Besides, you’re obviously injured and need some extra special care. You won’t get in time to eat and you’d get a ton of sermon again for being late, especially with our English teacher. I mean, sure, you are kind of stupid for tripping at the stairs, but it’s not your fault that you have an inborn knee. Why can’t he understan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter