Us At The Beginning

A Love To Hide

 

Chapter 1 : Us At The Beginning

 

At one of the most prestigious Elite Universities in Seoul with its best reputation for highest admission standards to accept not only rich but top brightest and talented students, known as “THE BLACKVEL” University, a sight of rich kids wearing most up-to-date fashion, holding luxurious bags or driving the most expensive cars were just the norms for students here, it didn’t excite them at all to see those extravagances or luxuries, but what took their attention and interested them most were things happening in a daily basis at each of Elite Clubs in their university.

At a cafeteria, some friends were gathering for their breakfast before they started their respective classes, occupying their usual corner, which was known at their spot, nothing marked as reserved but some students knew better than to sit on them at particular time. These people were like the rest of rich kids whose clothes, cars, bags and items were overpriced and luxurious, but what made them special and powerful, was a fact that they were elite members.

“Wow, such a news in the morning” Joy exclaimed as she opened a chatting application and looked at a particular Group Chat which belonged to Elite Clubs, she was one of the members.

“What is it?” Irene took a sip of her coffee, she was reading something else on her phone, and not what mentioning about, Joy didn’t reply but showed a picture on her phone to Irene

“Is that Jisoo and Jin Sunbae-nim?” Irene furrowed her brow at a picture she saw.

Jennie who was staring out of the glass window, tiled her head slowly, she lowered a mug of her coffee that she was holding, she stole a glance at Joy and was listening to what she had to say next.

“Who else could they be?” Joy responded to Irene’s question, “He asked her out in front of hundreds of students, and pictures of them are everywhere now” she added, informative.

“Not totally surprised, he have been chasing after her for 2 years, since our fresh year” Irene analyzed after she figured out a period of time on her head, they were going to a 3rd years of university life now.

“I didn’t know you even count it” Joy snapped, amused.

“I wouldn’t do it if she wasn’t in a competitive Club” Irene chuckled, “Right Jen?” She asked at a person who didn’t bother to share her opinion as if she didn’t care, Jennie shrugged her shoulders as a respond, and that was Kim Jennie everyone knew.

Kim Jennie, 3rd years at Fashion Design, a rich and cool girl that men and women were after, but none could ever get close to her, her cold attitude warded them off, her gaze alone could send chill down someone’s spine. Despite all of those infamous factors, Jennie was considered one of the most popular girls in a Cool Club which consisted of Krystal, Irene, Joy, Yeri and Jennie, one of the four Elite Clubs in this University, founded for those with exceptional talent and skills, not only being excellent at their respective majors and study fields, they were also known for being genius in music, sport and arts. For a decade, a completion in various segments was held every year among the four Elite Clubs for a prestige honor and the tradition had passed down from year to year and members would stay for four years or until they graduated, and based on club tradition, members of each club became rival by default, competing to be the best one.

Jennie from a Cool Club and Jisoo from a Light Club who majored in Finance and Economy, were known for being rivals at music, but none of a single soul in this whole university ever had a clue that they were step-sisters, not even these two closest friends besides Jennie now, it wasn’t what Jennie was proud to tell everyone though.

Jennie checked on her phone for the first time since they sat down in this cozy café , she rummaged through a group chat and stopped at a group named Elite Club, she clicked at photos that Joy were mentioning earlier, and zoomed in a guy face who standing in front of Jisoo in the picture, Jennie inwardly scoffed at a photo of Jin handing Jisoo a banquet of flower, no one knew what Jennie was thinking.

“By the way, have anyone seen Yeri, isn’t she supposed to be here?” Joy asked as she stared at an empty space beside her now, Yeri wasn’t a person who would be slow when it came to food.

“She may be crying somewhere” Jennie stated, it made Irene and Joy turned to a person who had been quiet a whole time, Joy frowned though.

“Why would she be crying? What happen to her, did anyone hurt her?” Joy shot a series of questions, her aggressive yet protective mode showed up.

Irene rolled her eyes, and said “Didn’t you remember that Jin Sunbae-Nim is Yeri’s crush?”

Joy sneered, “Well, that was just a crush” , she clicked her tongue

Jennie didn’t expect Joy to be serious when she said Yeri was crying, so she said, “It was supposed to be a joke when I said so” Jennie chuckled, and Irene did the same when they exchanged their looks.

“Well,don’t get it then, It’s not fun though” Joy retorted, she didn’t find Jennie’s joke humorous for once, and to be honest, except for Yeri, who was kinda funny sometimes, the rest of them didn’t seem to have a good sense of humor at all.

But before they could discuss more a person they were talking made her way to the door, she stopped by to make an order and walked toward them

“Whatever, there she comes” Irene averted her attention to a new comer, Yeri wore a long face and it only made Irene hold her laughter, then all eyes were at Yeri.

Yeri took over her usual seat “I guess you guys have already found out”, Joy nodded when Yeri finished her question.

“I can’t believe he did that” Yeri sounded frustrated

“What did you expect him to do then? Ask you out?” Joy snapped, Yeri put her tongue out at Joy, the latter responded with a same action, and now it was time for Jennie to roll her eyes.

“Anyway, I’ve heard that some of Jin oppa’s fans started to form an anti-club already” Yeri told the new information she got.

“That’s ridiculous” Joy exclaimed, obviously disgusted by such a childish act

“What’s a shame, what are they thinking on those little heads?” Irene groaned, she didn’t like such a silly idea of people claimed as smart kids here.

“I told you not all of them got accepted because of their brains” Jennie commented with a slight humor

“Let’s them be then” Irene said

They were chatting until it was time for them to leave for class and lectures, Jennie was with Irene as they were attending a same lecture room, while Yeri and Joy went on separate ways.

As they were walking along side, Irene was the first to notice Jisoo and her friends, Lisa, Chaeyoung and Wendy were standing together like they were talking about something, but they kept their voice low when they noticed Irene and Jennie coming their way. Chaeyoung was the only one who sending them away her gentle smile, but the rest of them kept their straight face, Irene smiled back while Jennie kept walking as if she didn’t see them.

“Why did you smile at them?” Lisa chided Chaeyoung, after Irene and Jennie were out of their sight. Chaeyoung tiled her head and looked at Lisa, “Why couldn’t I?” Chaeyoung retorted, she didn’t see why they had to act like they didn’t like each other all the time, when the fact was they never disliked one another, they only happened to be in a different club and competed against one another.

“You don’t see the way they look at us, do you?” Lisa asked “They don’t like us Chaeyoung”, Chaeyoung frowned, she knew that fact but she didn’t understand why Lisa suddenly being so moody, and even brought it up now.

“What’s wrong with you?” Chaeyoung asked, Lisa was about to bicker when Jisoo gestured her stop

“Calm down, both of you”, Jisoo butted in, “ Chaeyoung ah, don’t you have a class in 15 minutes?” Jisoo reminded as she looked at her watch, Chaeyoung thought of it.

“Oh, yeah, thanks for reminding me” Chaeyoung said “ I’ll get going now, see you guys later” Chaeyoung smiled at Jisoo, waved at Wendy but ignored Lisa.

“Yah” Lisa called after her

“She is just angel” It was Wendy who placed her hand on Lisa’s shoulder and gave her a light squeeze to calm her friend down, as Wendy watched Chaeyoung proceeding to her lecture hall.

“Way too friendly sometimes’ Lisa pursed up her lips

“That’s her and it’s always her, and she is right, what’s wrong with you today?” Jisoo asked caringly. Lisa calmed down and was aware of her mood.

“I’m sorry, I’m not in a good mood today” Lisa sighed, everything looked quite annoying for her today.

Jisoo looked at her friend and said “You don’t have to be sorry, but if you want to apologize, then Chaeyoung deserves it, not us” Jisoo told.

“I will” Lisa heaved a long sigh, “So how will you deal with Jin Sunbae-nim now?” Lisa asked, and it reminded why they were here together from the first place.

Jisoo was receiving several phone calls and messages from her friends after a photo of Jin oppa asking her to go out on a date with him spread all over SN in their university. None of these, would not have happen, if Jisoo wasn’t a star of a Light Club, and Jin oppa wasn’t a hot guy who made appearance on magazines and stuff, he had quite a huge group of fans. As a nice person Jisoo was, she saved his face by not rejecting him in front of people, and accepting his flower, so he took it a wrong way and people who saw photos also jumped into a conclusion that she agreed to go out with him.

“I’m gonna talk to him personally after lunch” Jisoo told them her plan

“Sooner it’s better, make it a clear cut if you don’t want to go out with him” Wendy pointed out her opinion” Don’t lead him on”

“I agree with Wendy” Lisa agreed

“Yeah, I will do” Jisoo nodded agreed, smiled at her friend to reassure them

Jisoo inwardly sighed, another thing to deal with. As much as she tried not to be in spot light, it seemed to chase after her, and she couldn’t avoid it. This was not a peaceful life of youth she was dreaming of, Jisoo just wanted a simple normal life at the average university like some of her friends back at high school, but she wasn’t granted what she was looking for, when life threw her something bigger and better and she had to live with it, it wasn’t something anyone should be complaining about to be studying in one of the best reputation in Korea.

 

--------------------------------

 

Loud and enthusiastic cheer from fans sitting at an indoor stadium watching a semi-final match of archery competition between their university famous teams lifted up a whole new exciting atmosphere in a completion field. Banners supporting each team, individual printed names could be seen for each particular athlete for showing their love and support.

“Fighting!”,Jisoo encouraged as she looked at Chaeyoung, Lisa and Nayeon, a team consisting two from her elite club and one from a regular sport club

“Thank you” Chaeyoung smiled at Jisoo, then she turned to look at Lisa, a tall brunette showed Chaeyoung a fighting gesture when she lifted her hand up in the air, Chaeyoung beamed at a sight.

Standing next to them, was a competitive team, representing one member from an elite club, Irene and two other from sport club, Tzuyu and Hyeri.

They walked toward a standing point, and prepared for shooting, as announcement was made for starting, each of them took a deep breath and a game started

People held their breath as each arrow dashed its way out, from each team, loud applause followed after score showed up on a monitor screen, game carried on with neck to neck score until the last arrow.

Irene stood there calm, her every movement was being observed, she pulled back a bow string, focused on a target, and released an arrow.

She made it to a ten ring

Applause crowd cheering filled a stadium when her team made it the next round, and as expected, their competitive team from a Light Club were going to final match alongside with the.

“You’re amazing” Yeri praised as Irene made it way to her friends

“Bravo!!” Joy chirped excitingly, while Jennie made a fist bump with Irene, as she made it back to her seat next to Jennie.

“Shall we go out and celebrate tonight?” Yeri suggested, she exchanged her look with Irene

But Joy was the first to respond “I’m in” , she said without even thinking, Irene rolled her eyes, Joy didn’t hide her excitement when it came to anything involving drinking and partying.

“How about you, Jennie?” Irene looked at a girl beside her, but Irene thought she had already got an answer.

“Sure, count me in” Jennie confirmed anyway.

“Yeah” Yeri squealed “So our usual club?”, everyone nodded in agreement.

“Hope we won’t run into them again” Irene looked out at a far corner where a group were preparing to leave, for a swift moment her eyes met Wendy’s who turned around, Irene looked away.

“Funny how a small world it is, the more we don’t want to see them, the world seems to draw them closer” Joy complained funnily, which earned a chuckle from Jennie, she followed Joy’s gaze and it fell upon one person, who was smiling at her friends, Jennie then commented and agreed with Joy “ Yes, it is”

 

----------------------

 

When a nightfall came, smart kids were gone, black angels appeared. Inside a club, with ear-deafening and bombarding music, people and alcohol, Jennie, Irene, Joy and Yeri were dressed in night-out black dress, revealing their nice legs, cleavages and collarbones, and it was unavoidable that they would become a center of people’s attention, eyes-drooling them as they were spinning their heels making their way to a VIP private room.

“I’m sick of those eyes” Irene complained

“We can’t help it, we are irresistible” Joy said, Yeri scoffed.

Jennie sank on a soft sofa as soon as they made it to a reserved room, it was a private section of the club where they could still enjoy the bombarding music and drink, while having a great view of a whole club from the top view, where they were seated.

“I’m thirsty” Joy announced

“What are you waiting for then?” Yeri smirked, knowingly

The light clashing sound of their toasts started and continued, a party started and they could care less if they would wake up tomorrow with their throbbing heads, they were having fun and living a moment, wild and free. At least that what Jennie believed everyone should do. Smart kid didn’t always have to stay back home, and read only books, they could be learning about life elsewhere and be living while they were young.

“Did you guys order your Uber driver to drive our cars back?” Irene asked, she wanted to remind them before they wouldn’t be able to do so after more drinks.

“Yes”

“I did”

“Um”

All of them answered, and this was how smart kids did, they wouldn’t risk to be caught drinking and driving, they were smarter than to get themselves into unnecessary troubles, while they were living at its fullest, they played safe to keep themselves alive longer too.

“Oh, isn’t that them?” Joy exclaimed as she stared down on a dancing floor and saw a group walking in, it wasn’t hard to notice though, they outshined among a crowd

“Absolutely yes” Irene peaked though and confirmed

“Isn’t that Wendy, is she?” Yeri furrowed her bow, “Yes she is, without her nerdy glasses” Joy affirmed, and Irene couldn’t help but fixed her stare at a mentioned person.

“By any chance, aren’t they purposely following us, are they?” Yeri joked and laughed but Jennie raised her brow upon a realization.

“You could be right, Yeri” Jennie smirked

“Eh?” Yeri confused, so were Irene and Joy but they didn’t get any clear answer when Jennie tore her gaze off them and lifted up her drink.

“For our beautiful life” Jennie made a toast, her girls smiled “Cheers” The rest of them followed suit.

 

On the other VIP room, Jisoo, Lisa, Chaeyoung and Wendy were sipping their champagne after making a toast. This was one of the least favorite places for Chaeyoung and Wendy to come, but they didn’t mind it once in a while, as long as they were together. Actually, it was Lisa’s idea at first to come for a celebration of their victory today, but they didn’t confirm coming until an hour ago when Jisoo suddenly called them and made a confirmation, so here they were, in an Ace Club, made for those of snobbery high-class people and celebrities.

“So how did your heartbreaking session go?” Lisa asked amusingly, remembered Jisoo’s plan to clear up with Jin Sunbae-nim.

“He seemed to take it well” Jisoo answered.

“How?” Chaeyoung was curious

“He didn’t cry or get mad” Jisoo explained, “ But he doesn’t look happy” she added

“Of course, how could he be happy?” Chaeyoung shot her sarcasm, Lisa laughed

“Poor him” Wendy said, “He is a good person”

“You can’t force your feeling no matter how good that person is, if your heart doesn’t feel, you can’t make it feel” Lisa voiced out her opinion

“I agree” Chaeyoung joined in a conversation “Heart chooses who to love”

“And you can’t change the way you feel” Jisoo added

Three of them seemed dazed in their own world thinking which made Wendy left out, she observed them and said “Why do I feel like you guys are in love, aren’t you?” Her tone was hinting a joke though.

“You’re not kidding us right?” Jisoo was the first to respond with her light-hearted tone.

“Yeah, I was kidding” Wendy laughed away, she didn’t want to make a situation awkward, if none wanted to say anything.

Night was creeping away, time ticked passing midnight and indicating an early hour of a new days, club-mix songs were replaced by slower tempo music, Chaeyoung rested her head on Lisa shoulder’s as her eyes were getting heavier from being drowsy so was Wendy, they were waiting for Jisoo to come back from a rest room so they could leave and ready for their bed, they had enough for tonight.

Jisoo waited until she sent her friends off on Wendy’s car with her family person chauffeur was ready to drop each of them home, Jisoo thanked him for waiting for them and asked him to drive carefully.

“Each of you, text me when you get home” Jisoo lowered her head talking to her friend though a rolled down window.

“We will” Wendy answered on behalf of them

“And you too, drive safe” Lisa peaked though a window and told her frined, “ I will” Jisoo assured.

With that said, the chauffer drove off from the parking lot of a club, made its turn and out to a main road, Jisoo waited until a car was out of her sight before she walked off and get on her car, but she didn’t move away yet, she wasn’t hurried, her apartment complex was just ten minutes away, she lazed on her seat, and a music in her car, and didn’t leave until she could make sure about something, and it wasn’t until an hour later when a group of four girls proceeding to each of their cars, they passed keys to those who looked like their hired drivers. Jisoo waited until they left then she did too.

 

----------------------

 

Hitting on pass-code on a door, Jennie stumbled back and forth a couple time before she finally could open a door into her place, the light was automatically on as soon as she walked inside this luxurious duplex condominium, the door was shut behind her, she didn’t bother to take off her shoes as she was making her way to her bedroom, flung her bag into her bed, Jennie plopped herself into soft bed.

“I’m home” She said tiredly, her half face dipped into her pillow, she was going to drift into sleep when she heard a notification of her phone, she fumbled through her bag and got some messages on a group chat from her friends to let each other know that they were home already, she typed an icon “home” to let them know too, and before she put her phone away, she got a new message from Another Kim , Jennie chose to ignore it and closed her eyes

 

Jennie fell asleep after a while, she must be in her deep slumber that she didn’t even aware that someone got into her bedroom, the extra weight dropped into the bed wasn’t enough to wake Jennie up. A soft sigh escaped from a new comer who sat at the edge of the bed, Jennie was deeply asleep than to be cautious, and Jisoo couldn’t imagine if a person who came in here wasn’t her but some kind of creep

“How could I not worry about you? Jisoo shook her head, although she knew this place was highly secured, one of the best and safest residential in this expensive area and only residents here were allowed to access, she couldn’t help but worry about this person.

Jisoo reached for Jennie’s feet before gently removed her shoes away and dropped them on the floor, then she fixed Jennie’s sleeping posture, pulled up a blanket to cover for her and walked to a bathroom to get a few pierce of wet wipe to gently remove make-up on Jennie’s face, Jisoo smiled at a sight before her, done with what she was supposed to do, Jisoo walked to a closet, taking out her pajamas and walked to a bathroom.

Under the warm shower, Jisoo let the running water wash away her tiredness while her mind welcomed random thoughts and replayed the occurrences, she reached for her shampoo bottle which stood next to Jennie’s, they had different preference on most everything, the only thing they shared was this place, a place that only two of them knew, it wasn’t Jennie’s nor Jisoo’s, it was theirs.

It took Jisoo sometimes until she dried her hair, and got ready for bed, she slipped herself under a blanket and snuggled closer to a sleeping figure, Jisoo smiled, even Jennie was still in her dress but Jisoo didn’t mind to cuddle her in her sleep.

“I just love you too much Jennie” Jisoo whispered before giving a kiss on her forehead, and drifted off to her dreamland.

Inside the warmth of Jisoo’s embrace, although Jennie couldn’t fight back her drowsiness nor force herself to open her eyes, she felt it by her sense, and knew this precious presence, she smiled in her sleep before snuggled closer for more warmth, both of them sleeping in each other’s arm peacefully and forgetting a reality behind.

 

------------------------------

 

8 years ago

 

“I hate you, go away” Jennie furiously threw her stuff at Jisoo when a slightly older girl came over to tell her that dinner was ready and their parents were waiting, Jisoo didn’t leave and stood there, she dodged away from flying objects, as she thought she was successful doing so and about to persuade Jennie once again, an alarm clock flew out of nowhere and hit right on her forehead.

“Ouch” Jisoo groaned in pain as she felt a shape pain ran though her head, Jennie’s jaw dropped, she was shocked.

“Are you…” Jennie swallowed back her question, and instead she split out her spiteful word “ Serve you right” , Jisoo went quiet, she was holding her forehead which now, had a cut and blood oozed out, and Jennie noticed it, her eyes widened but she bit her lips, not to utter any word.

“You should eat, it’s not good for your stomach to skip meal” Jisoo lectured, she wiped away droplet of blood before walking away , but before she was out of the door, Jennie called her.

“Jisoo” Jennie paused, she wanted to apologize but her pride got on a way, Jisoo held the door for a brief moment but Jennie didn’t say anything so Jisoo did. “I’ll tell omma and oppa that I slipped and bump my head, you should just go and eat” Jisoo finished what she wanted to say and closed the door.

Jennie didn’t know what to do, she sat back on her bed, wallowing on her guilt, she looked around her messy room and hugged her knees. It was only a moment later when she decided to get out of her room and met everyone at the dining table, Jisoo had a bandage on her forehead and ate in silence.

Her parents looked happy that she finally came down for dinner, they didn’t mention about Jisoo’s accident until Jennie couldn’t tear her stare of Jisoo, then her mother explained that Jisoo was clumsy and had an accident. It saved Jennie from trouble but didn’t spare her from feeling guilty, she lowered her head and ate in silence

 

7 Years ago

 

Jennie held her breath, she had a set of embarrassing scenario on her head when her teacher asked them to hand in homework, she was playing game and completely forgot about it, she took out her book and slowly made it to her teacher’s desk, she was clutching tight on her book.

“Kim Jennie?” Her teacher broke her trance, when she reached for a book, Jennie sighed before passing to her

“Mrs Choi” Jennie was going to confess that she didn’t do her homework when her teacher opened a page where homework was supposed to be down

“Yeah?” Mrs. Choi didn’t look at her while she was examining her work.

“I…” Jennie was interrupted when her teacher spoke first “Good job”, Mrs. Choi smiled at her

“ Eh?” Jennie was confused.

“Well done on your homework” She complimented and Jennie had to peak over, she got a glimpse of homework done, she was stunned, although a handwriting was a good of copy of her original handwriting, Jennie knew it wasn’t hers and she didn't do it for sure.

“Now may you go back to your seat” Mrs Choi smiled at her, Jennie nodded and walked back.

As Jennie looked out of the window, she mindlessly thought about the things, and then one person came into her mind, without her knowing, a smile graced on her face, Kim Jisoo.

 

5 Years ago

 

Jisoo looked out of the window where rain was pouring down heavily, and it was as heavy as her head when she turned to look at a person on her bed, Jennie was having a high fever and refused to go to hospital. This was a first she had to deal with such a kind of situation while her parents were aboard on a business trip. As if it wasn’t hard enough, Jennie was naturally stubborn, and became more difficult to deal with when she was sick.

Jisoo was sitting there staring at a pale face girl, for as long as God’s know until Jennie blinked her eyes open, her fatigue made it hard for her to wake up.

“How are you feeling?” Jisoo placed a black of her palm on Jennie’s face, concern was filled in her voice.

“I’m tired” Jennie replied weakly

“Do you want to eat something?” Jisoo asked, Jennie shook her head, and Jisoo could only sigh.

“Jennie ah, you need to eat, otherwise you won’t get any better” Jisoo pleaded

“I don’t feel like eating” Jennie argued

“I have not eaten, why don’t we grab something to eat now?” Jisoo recommended

“Why didn’t you eat?” Jennie asked

“It’s too lonely without you at the dining table, I was waiting for you to wake up” Jisoo reasoned, Jennie felt bad that Jisoo had to wait for her, so she agreed to take some bit which Jisoo asked their maid to bring some food over, Jisoo was happy that she could persuade Jennie to eat and take her medicine.

“Are you cold?” Jisoo kept checking on Jennie’s body temperature, “Um” Jennie hummed her reply.

“Can you make some room for me?” Jisoo asked, Jennie furrowed her brow but she moved anyway, Jisoo climbed on a bed, and slipped herself under the blanket, Jennie was blurredly watching what Jisoo was doing, without word, Jisoo slowly pulled Jennie closer to her chest and cuddled her. It could be a side effect of the medicine, or her physical weakness, Jennie gave in easily, or she didn’t even feel like protesting to such intimacy, but hugged the older girl back, seeking for more warmth.

 

Without any of them knowing as time went by, from warming up and accepting each other as sisters, another feeling came and took toll on them, they became attract to one another, and by the time they realized it, it had bloomed into another level of feeling, developed into something deeper that they never thought it could happen but it did, none of them wanted to admit, but they couldn’t do without it, a feeling that they had to hide, not from themselves but from a whole world.

 

---- TBC --- 

 

 

A/ N : English is not my first language, my apology for any typos.