BONUS

The Magic of Hello Kitty

“Mi Sun, look at your nephew, he’s so adorable.”

 

 Baekhyun lifted up his one year old, Chanhyun, dressed in a Hello Kitty onesie, his chubby cheeks drooping as he dozed off. Mi Sun, now a strong and independent 18 year old, cooed excitedly at her nephew - he was too cute for this world, and she absolutely adored him, especially when he was dressed as her all time favourite Hello Kitty.

 

“Oppa, how did you get such a cute son? I bet Chanhyun has most of Chanyeol oppa’s genes.” Mi Sun teased, the infant’s feet and chuckling when Chanyhun’s toes start to spread out slowly. 

 

Mr and Mrs Byun were out of the country, going on an anniversary trip somewhere in Jeju-do, Mi Sun therefore took the bus happily to Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s beautiful house resided at the southern part of Seoul. Why wouldn’t she be excited? Her Baekhyun and Chanyeol oppa are always showering her with love and attention, they were like her second set of parents. Mi Sun was most excited about meeting her nephew again, a chubby little boy with way too many folds. They were getting ready for a halloween party hosted by Chanyeol for his hotel’s annual Halloween celebration, and Baekhyun thought that it would be perfect to dress Chanhyun up in a Hello Kitty outfit for his first halloween.

 

“Yah! Did you just call me ugly?”

 

Mi Sun cackled, looking at her older brother who had a huge pout on his face. Chanyeol walks in, and notices the frown on his husband’s face. He too found it adorable, Chanhyun was going to pick it up once he grows older.

 

“Babe, why the gloomy face?” Chanyeol reached out to wrap Baekhyun around his waist, both watching Chanhyun’s sleeping face.

 

“Chanyeol oppa, I said that Chanhyun was cute because of your genes. Now oppa thinks I called him ugly.” Mi Sun sing-songs. Chanyeol immediately stretches out his palm to high five her.

 

“That’s my girl!”

 

“Hey! How dare you take her side!” Baekhyun pouts even more, visibly disheartened. Though this isn’t the first time they have . Ever since those hospital visits, Mi Sun and Chanyeol have teamed up together to tease Baekhyun endlessly, they just love seeing that pout and crossed arms.

 

“Sorry, Chanyeol oppa stole my heart the moment he sang me the Hello Kitty theme song.” Mi Sun laughs, Chanyeol and Mi Sun giggle once more when Baekhyun places his hands at his hips, ready to lecture the mischievous duo. 

 

“Byun Mi Sun! Do you know how much your brother visited you when you were in the hospital? I went everyday after school! And young woman, don’t go around saying things like that, you have a boyfriend now, don’t you? What if he thinks you’re having some kind of affair behind his back-” 

 

Baekhyun looked like an angry housewife, Chanyeol realises that Baekhyun’s protective instinct became stronger ever since Chanhyun came into the world, the smaller was ready to nag about anything and everything about safety and morals.

 

“Hmph, you sound just like mom. Also, Kyungsoo knows who Chanyeol is, he even said that Chanyeol was one of the most handsome men that he has ever met.” 

 

Chanyeol smiles to himself, wanting to give himself a pat on the back for looking so handsome. Despite the passing of time, he still resembled his high school profile, he had aged well, and even had a more toned body than before. 

 

“Park Chanyeol. I’m not done with you.” Baekhyun scolds, but his face immediately turns soft once he notices Chanhyun slowly beginning to stir, crying for food.

 

“Chanhyunnie, are you hungry? Do you want some milk?” 

 

The infant dressed in the Hello Kitty onesie stops fidgeting, breaking out into a smile when he sees Baekhyun smiling back at him. Baekhyun prepares a bottle for the infant, and the moment Chanhyun on the bottle aggressively, Baekhyun closes his eyes and kisses him on the tip of the head, swaying slowly to imitate a rocking chair, something that Chanhyun finds very comforting. Baekhyun was completely unaware that there were two pairs of eyes, looking at him like a hawk.

 

Chanyeol’s face softens too, seeing his husband taking care of their son with so much love - it was amazing how his high school sweetheart is now his husband of almost 5 years. As cheesy as it gets, they really have come a long way from those painful times many years ago. Chanyeol gets up, wanting to help once he notices how much of a messy drinker Chanhyun is, with milk spilling from the sides of his mouth.

 

“Yah, Chanhyun-ah, eat properly!” Chanyeol scolds playfully, grabbing Chanhyun’s Hello Kitty baby handkerchief to wipe the baby’s chubby cheeks. Chanhyun just simply looks up to his father with his big droopy eyes, full of curiosity and wonder.

 

Mi Sun smiles at the busy couple, trying to keep their baby entertained. Sometimes she missed the days when she would be babied by them instead, but even she herself couldn’t resist Chanhyun’s charms.

 

“Mi Sun, go get changed, we’ll leave the house soon.” 

 

Baekhyun reminds his sister, pointing at the dress laying on the sofa. Mi Sun nods, and grabs her dress, going to the guest bedroom (her temporary bedroom) to get changed. As she changes into her dress, she is once again reminded of her ‘battle scars’, there was a period of time when Mi Sun felt really insecure about it, but her Baekhyun oppa told her that there was nothing to be embarrassed about. 

 

“Mi Sun, what happened?” Baekhyun bent down to her sister’s level, noticing that her sister was already crying the moment she went home.

 

“The girls in my school...they saw my scar when we were changing for fitness class, they whispered and said it looked ugly.” Mi Sun cried. Baekhyun enveloped her in a hug, Mi Sun was a pre-teen, the age where she was going to be sensitive about the way she looked and how people thought of her.

 

“Mi Sun-ah, your scars are not ugly at all. You are so brave, do you know that? You fought with cancer, and you should be proud of yourself. You were sick, underwent treatment and healed. These are your battle scars, Mi Sun-ah, be proud of them. Don’t be embarrassed, okay?” 

 

Baekhyun spoke to his sister gently, holding onto her hands. The teary-eyed pre-teen looked at her brother in the eyes, there was so much confidence in his voice, assuring her that she is indeed very brave.

 

“I love you.” 

 

Mi Sun reaches in for another hug. Apart from Hello Kitty, and Chanyeol, Baekhyun was the one who comforted her the most.

 

Mi Sun walks out of her room after getting dressed, a heel in one hand and a necklace in the other. In other words, a complete, total mess. Baekhyun shook his head, but he must admit, his little sister looked beautiful in her dress. It also made him think of how much his little baby sister has grown, the one who used to spend her days in the children’s ward is now jumping up and about, trying to find her phone. 

 

“Babe, can you help me get the carseat ready? We’re going to be late.” Chanyeol opens the main door, calling out for Baekhyun.

 

“I’ll be right there. Mi Sun, take care of your nephew for a while, yeah?” Baekhyun slips into his shoes, walking out to help Chanyeol with Chanhyun’s carseat.

 

Mi Sun walks over to the sofa, where Chanhyun is laying on a playmat with a toy in his mouth, likewise staring at her with wide eyes. She grabs onto Chanhyun’s tiny little fists, trying to keep his eyes on her as she picks up the multiple Hello Kitty dolls placed around his playmat. 

 

“Hello hello kitty! Hello dear friend 

Your smile's pretty like a flower that's in bloom 

Love is in your heart and things are happy too 

Hello hello kitty! Play with us today!” 

 

Chanhyun immediately breaks out into a smile, laughing loudly while his eyes turned into little crescents as he finds the song so entertaining.

 

“Your parents used to sing this to me all the time, Chanhyunnie.” Mi Sun talks to the infant, acting as if he really understood what she was saying. 

 

“When you grow older, you’ll understand why. Maybe your papa and daddy will tell you auntie’s story, then you’ll know why I like Hello Kitty so much. And maybe you should thank me in the future...when you can start talking. If not for me, your parents wouldn’t have met, hmm?”  Mi Sun continued, while Chanhyun only listened. It really was comforting to talk to a baby, they don’t talk back, and look like ‘good’ listeners.

 

“Well, enough of me talking. Let’s show you off to all of Chanyeol oppa’s employees.” Mi Sun lifts the infant up from his playmat, and adjusts his onesie before leaving for the main door. Baekhyun and Chanyeol fight over who is going to strap Chanhyun into his carseat, and as expected, Baekhyun wins once again. 

 

It’s crazy to think that a simple animated character, a cartoon cat that simply pranced around on television, could bring so much joy and hope to someone’s life. The magic of Hello Kitty seeped into every nook and cranny of the Byun household, and now even in the Park-Byun household. Who knows what would happen when Mi Sun gets married in the future? Hello Kitty bedsheets, matching Hello Kitty slippers and toothbrushes? Kyungsoo has a lot of adapting to do.

 

But well, that’s another story for another time.

-

Added this little bonus for halloween :) I made an error in the one shot so hopefully this bonus makes up for it too (thanks to the reader who pointed it out! <3) 

Also if you read my other fics, you'll realise that I love pairing Chanbaek with kids, it's a super super super cute concept that makes me sleep well at night lol.

Hope you enjoyed this!