My Pretty Bestfriend

What If

Hyung, how are you? Three years have passed since your leaving. I hope you're happy with the angels there. Today I visited you with your beloved sister. We really miss you. Ah about my promise, don't worry. I always try to keep my promise, I'll keep her as you have done for the rest of your life. You can trust me.

I put the flowers near his grave. I glanced at someone who was beside me. She still closed her eyes, maybe she wasn't finished with her prayer. I looked at every detail in her face. Yeppeuda. She grew into a beautiful girl. I still remember our childhood, she often cried because of hyung and I . Not hard to make her stop crying, we just need to buy her favorite ice cream.

She was happy when me and hyung treated her like a princess. She said that she felt special because she was the only girl among us. We have far left that time without us knowing. We have grown up. And hyung has left us very quickly. I don't want to remember what happened to him, it felt like opening a wound to us. I hate that jerk who make hyung's life leave this world.

"Yah!".

The sound interrupted my thoughts.

"I have called you many times, but you only look at me blankly".

"Ah mianhae". I scratched my head. "Are you done?".

She just hummed. She then held the grave. "Oppa, I'll go home now. See you again". She kissed that grave.

I smiled seeing it.

"Let's go Chaeng". She said while holding my hand.

Hyung, I'll visit you again next time.

We walked while holding hands. We don't feel awkward doing it. We have been friends for years, holding hands is a natural thing for us.

Since hyung left, I tried to always be beside her. I feel I have an obligation to look after her. She's my best friend and she's precious. I will not let bad things happen to her.

We arrived without us knowing. I followed her into her house. I found our parents there. They were talking about something when we entered.

"Oh you arrived". Her mother welcomed us. I used to call her eommonim. Our family has a close relationship, we're like a family. We're also close neighbors. My house is right next to theirs.

I sat next to my mother. Tonight we will have dinner together to commemorate hyung's death. We always commemorate it every year.

I can see many dishes on the table. Eommonim must have spent all day cooking it. The main menu of the night is steak. I already know the reason, this is hyung's favorite food. If he were here with us, he would be really happy.

I had trouble cutting the steak in front of me. Unfortunately, the meat was moving as if it doesn't want me to cut it. I glanced to my right side. I can see her eating elegantly. A moment later she turned to me and mouthed 'what?'. I pushed my plate hoping that she would cut the steak for me. But she turned her gaze to the plate, then looked back at me and mouthed 'no'. She returned to eating her food.

"Mina, help Chaeyoung cut the steak". Her father suddenly said.

She took my plate lazily and cut the steak. I could see she was pouting. I smile because of it. I'm glad to see her upset like that.

"Thank you Minari". I said when she gave the plate back to me. While Mina was still pouting.

 

No One POV

Today's event continued into the night. Their parents decide to drink alcohol. While their children are in Mina's room. Chaeyoung lay down on the bed, while Mina sat on the edge of the bed busy with her phone.

"Where will we go this weekend?". Chaeyoung asked.

Five seconds.. ten seconds.. and fifteen seconds. There's no answer from the older. Chaeyoung glanced at her. He saw that Mina was still busy with her phone. He then got up and tried to take it.

"Yah you ignored me. Wait, who is this?". Chaeyoung's gaze was fixed on the phone screen. He found Mina chatting with someone.

Mina didn't respond. She took back her phone.

Chaeyoung gave a mocking smile. "Whoaa Minari has a boyfriend".

"N-no. He's just my friend".

"Is that so? Then why are you afraid I read your message?".

Mina rolled her eyes. "What were you talking about?".

"Ah I'm asking about our date. Where are we going?".

Chaeyoung and Mina have a tradition in their friendship, they'll spend a day together to go to the arcade, watching movie marathon or just walking around. They call it best friend date.

"Err... I don't think I can go out this weekend".

"Why?". Chaeyoung showed disappointed expression.

"I'll go with my friend".

"Friend? Which friend?". Chaeyoung knows all of Mina's friends because Mina's friends always end up being Chaeyoung's friend too. "Oh, I know. The friend you just chatted with, your boyfriend right?”.

"Y-yah!". Mina tried to hit Chaeyoung, but the younger managed to avoid it.