Am I a joke to you ?

Your smile annoys me the most

Jinyoung was tidying his belongings neatly as per usual getting ready to go. He usually is very quick to get ready to go home. However, he was taking longer than usual that day. Something was bugging him. He knew for a fact that something was wrong with Jackson. He knows him so well that he could sometimes predict what his beloved member would do or say. The shooting went really well and they all seemed to have had a good time so he didn’t know what was bugging his friend. And of course Jinyoung was always very sensitive to other people’s feelings especially of those he cherished.

 

Jackson was looking at his phone, with a serious look, while sitting. It wasn’t unusual per se. He often had that look when he is focusing on work, watching his schedule or when he was on social media. On the other hand, the members were getting changed in a more comfortable outfit or grabbing their phone and bag. All of them were very quick especially Mark and Bambam who were out of sight in a second. Yugyeom was the only one left with Jinyoung and Jackson. He was listening to music while randomly dancing, somewhat daydreaming. Jinyoung growing impatient and worried, grabbed his bag and came closer to Jackson.

 

He pulled his ear playfully and said, « You are staying here for much longer ? Let’s head out. » 

Jackson, way too focused on his phone, shrugged and did not answer. Jinyoung insisted once again by taking a better look at his face.

 

« Why ? Something is wrong, Seun-ah ? »

 

Jinyoung said in the cute voice, teasing him.

 

Jackson finally broke his attention from his phone to look in Jinyoung’s eyes. His look was too cold and serious to Jinyoung’s taste.

 

« If you know there is, why ask ? »

 

The younger was surprised and hurt by his answer. There must be something serious going on for Jackson to be like this, he thought. What could it be ?

 

« What do you mean, something happened ? »

« I don’t want to talk about this now, so can we please just go ? »

 

Yugyeom who did not hear a word they said, was heading out still very focused on his phone. Only God knows if he was pretending or not, probably unwilling to be caught up in an another neverending bickering like these two often had.

 

Jinyoung was definitely not the kind to wait patiently even if he knew it was a bad idea to push Jackson to talk. He was way too worried to wait, especially after they had such a great time filming the show.

 

Jackson stood up to grab his bag when Jinyoung grabbed him by the wrist to force him to sit back. Jackson stared at him while squinting and pressing his tongue against his cheek like he usually does when something is bothering him. He did not say a word and kept avoiding Jinyoung’s worried stare.

He sighed and finally said, « Don’t be worried, let’s go come on. »

 

« Don’t be worried ? Do you hear yourself ? Look at yourself for God’s sake. » He said while pointing at the mirror.

 

« What ? I’m okay. I mean okay, I’m not but I don’t want to talk about it anyways. You will make a big deal out of it. »

 

Jinyoung clearly getting more and more annoyed by the second, lifted a brow and said, « Spit it out, because we are not leaving if you don’t talk. The only time you looked at me so angrily was when I messed up big time and you were mad at me for a long time I still can’t forget that look. »

 

« At least, you know you are the one who caused it. I’ll give you that. »

 

« I mean…what ? No, I was not saying I caused it but that something serious was going on. Wait a second, what did I do ? »

 

Jinyoung was even more lost and worried. He loved to tease Jackson but not to the extent of him looking mad and scary.

 

Finally Jackson looked up and stared at him. A strand of his brown hair graciously falling on his forehead.

 

« You, Park Jinyoung, keep messing with my heart and I don’t like it. I don’t know what is going on. »

 

Jinyoung’s sad and worried expression quickly turned into a chuckle and he said, « Don’t tell me you’re mad because I did not kiss you and spitted on your face by mistake. I mean how can I kiss you on national television, are you mad ? »

 

« See, you don’t get it. Let’s go. »

 

Jackson who finally was opening up, stopped talking as soon as he felt that Jinyoung was making fun of his feelings and misintrepeting them. He stood up for real this time and faced Jinyoung. He squinted again and was looking for his words because he knew Jinyoung was not going to let him be if he didn't explain himself.

 

« Wow…How can you say that ? It’s not about that. » He continued, still hurt by Jinyoung's words.

 

« So tell me please, what is it about? » Jinyoung said while letting out a sigh, almost begging. 

 

« Sometimes you can be very mean you know that, right ? You are really something. »

 

Jinyoung let out a nervous laugh. He knew Jackson was being serious. But he felt like no matter what he was going to say would be misintrepeted. What could he have done ? He really didn’t get it. He didn’t do something out of the ordinary. 

 

« So tell me, what is it ? You are turning me into this big monster. I’m glad nobody is listening. What would they think seriously…»

 

« You are seriously thinking about other people’s thoughts on you right now ? You see, I don’t think you understand. »

 

« Understand what Jackson ? I feel like you are just picking a fight right now and I just want to go home peacefully. If it’s not about the kiss, what is it ? I know I often make fun of you but never in a bad way. So yes I don’t get it, I don’t understand what you are thinking. And if I am completely honest, it’s often the case. I look at you and I don’t know. You are pretty predictible when you’ll do something or say something funny. Also it definitely shows when you’re angry like right now. But to know exactly what it is that you’re thinking and feeling I don’t have a clue. Enlighten me, please. »

 

After his long speech, Jinyoung finally catched his breath. It seemed like he was getting angry at Jackson now, which was not the case. He felt like that for a while and felt right to say it now while they were being honest – maybe even too honest – and serious all of a sudden. The two of them had a very loving relationship in front of people and it showed everywhere they would go. Everybody around them could testify of it. However, as they were both very bad at fighting – or maybe too good at it – they would try to avoid conflict and even keep it to themselves when something was hurtful. And most importantly, among all the members, those two would get sulky very easily. So it could be a dangerous combo if none of them decided to let go and be more understanding about the other’s feelings.

 

They were looking at one another but no one was ready to talk, too afraid to hurt the other as they were both already really hurt. Jinyoung was looking at Jackson with big eyes, almost tearing up.

 

Jackson put a hand on Jinyoung’s arm and said in a low voice, « Look I’m sorry, okay? I’m not trying to pick a fight. »

 

He continued, « It’s the way you act towards me, around me. I admit I tend to take everything seriously. But helping you with the kiss scenes, it meant a lot to me, more than you would think. When you came to ask me for help, I admit I was surprised. I thought it was a joke. But then I could tell from your expression it wasn’t...»

 

« I…. »

 

« Not let me finish please. » He paused and said, « I feel what we’re doing means more to me than I want to admit. And sometimes it feels like it's just a joke for you. »

 

Jinyoung paused. He opened this mouth but nothing came out.

 

They were suddenly interrupted by a knock on the door. They were so focused on one another they jumped a bit.

 

« Yah, what you are doing, do you need a ride or not ? I was waiting for a long time, the others kids are already gone, there are only the two of you left. What ? Why are you looking at me with such a surprised face. It’s as if you’ve seen a ghost. Come on out, you two. »

 

« I’m sorry hyung, it’s my fault. We’ll be out in a second, wait for us. »

 

Jackson said something before Jinyoung could say anything.

 

« Hey, why would you say that ? I was the one to tell you to stay. »

 

« It’s my fault. Come on, let’s head out. »

 

« But we are not finished yet. Seun-ah… »

 

« I’m okay I swear, and we’ll have all the time to talk about this so please let’s go. Jinyoung, come on. »

 

Jackson looked at him with a smile even though his eyes were telling something else.

 

« Okay but before you go… »

 

« Don’t apologize please, I don’t want to hear ‘I’m sorry’ please don’t. »

 

Embarrased to be busted by Jackson, he stuttered while brushing his hair roughly, « I was going to say that – that you should tie your shoe laces first. »

 

« But… »

 

« No 'but' Jackson, just listen for once. »

 

« But…I have none ? » Jackson looked at him intrigued, pointing at his shoes.

 

« Okay whatever let’s head out. »

 

Jackson laughed while looking at a very embarrased Jinyoung, rushing to get out. He can be really cute when he wants too, he thought to himself.