Today's Ring: Jaehyun

Two Rings

Jaehyun shuffled his way through the stifling crowd of people at the market, trying his best to avoid the sticky bodies of the people he was pushing past to get to the hospital. Today, he had managed to harvest a decent stack of lumber that could be used to craft items for the royals and his employer had given him 5 more raes (the currency they used) to his weekly salary of 30 raes. This extra raes would be used to buy the medicine his brother requires. Jungwoo has been suffering from multple sclerosis since a year back and that really took a toll on the family finances because he could not work any physical work. 

As a Class 2 member, Jaehyun was only allowed the choice of doing work that class 1 members are entitled to or work as farmers or small goods businesses. The only way to rise to the next class would be to earn enough of what Class 3 members - do. However, that is nearly impossible. Often the farmers are under the supervision of class 3 members who retained the profits earned to themselves and small businesses would find themselves overshadowed by the larger ones with flashier and bigger storefront. The elites at class 4 with their greater wealth would patronise the larger stores and flaunt their wealth there. Class 4 members are the ones, alongside the royals to be granted full passage to the education system hence holding jobs like lawyers, doctors and businessmens. Class 3 members could attain high school education but only allowed to pursue further education if they had the money. As a class 2 member, Jaehyun received the minimum level of education and he often kept a sidejob of teaching class 1 members how to read. If the police finds out, he would most definitely be punished. After all, they are considered the slaves of the system, doing the most menial jobs for society and are not supposed to be literate. 

Jaehyun unconsciously touched the ring hanging around his neck with a black string. He hated this class system thoroughly. He held on to a dream of success before, that perhaps he could meet the other half of his ring and bring a better life for his family. The royals had assured the citizens that anybody who finds their soulmate would be given a mysterious power by Pandora, the stone that guards their country Neo. What power is that? Jaehyun hadn't really witness it, what he did saw was when people in his class and class 1 who found their soulmates being taken away by soldiers. He witnessed a neighbour whose soulmate was a class 3 girl, had wanted to marry each other, but he disappeared. Poof. just like that. His parents searched through the streets for days, begged for help with the police. But nobody did anything. The girl? Announced her marriage just weeks later to another class 3 guy. They showed off their matched rings and claimed to have been blessed by the power of Pandora, destined to do greater things together. 

Jaehyun knew then, that the royals and elites just wanted to keep the power to themselves. He wasn't even sure if there is even a power. Magic doesn't exist. How could it be. They probably just wanted to give false hope to people like him, foolish enough to believe in the lies of the royals. He will not be foolish enough to announce his soulmate if he does, especially if its someone of another class. Besides, all Jaehyun wants to do now is earn enough money, get proper medical help for his brother so that his brother will get better. There is no cure but at least Jungwoo won't be in so much pain. All jaehyun could do now is get painkillers to ease his pain. Finding his soulmate is the last thing on his mind. 

After pushing through the crowd, Jaehyun finally arrived at the hospital. To his surprise, the entrance was surrounded by stern-looking soldiers prepared to push back anyone.

Curious, he asked the old lady next to him who shrugged her shoulders and huffed, "I just need to get my medicine but they refused to let anyone in." 

"Hey whats going on?" Jaehyun was getting annoyed and decided to ask one of the guards. 

" Mind your own business." 

" Dude, we just want to get our medicine. You're the one blocking our business!" Jaehyun started to push his way through, only for the guard to shove him with such force he fell on his . 

"That's enough." A low voice travelled for the lobby of the hospital behind the guards and immediately, the guards parted to the sides and created a path resembling a red carpet. Jaehyun was a little disoriented and had not looked up to find the source of that voice but suddenly, a hand appeared. 

Jaehyun found himself glancing into the most beautiful eyes he seen in his entire life. He knew he must have looked like an idiot then, but he could stop himself from being memerised and dropping his jaws. 

"Are you alright?" The voice felt like honey on his ears and he quickly snapped out of his reverie and took the hand that remained outstretched towards him. The guy pulled Jaehyun to his feet and he swore he felt a charge went between them. Jaehyun wasn't sure if the guy felt it but he never did let go. 

"Your highness, you cannot be holding to these people like that." A man in a suit coughed and quickly pry their hands apart. 

"How dare you not -" Bofore the man could finish his words, the guy had placed a hand in front and stopped him.

"It is fine, let us go.... All of you are free to go into the hospital now!" 

----

Jaehyun stood rooted at his spot for a few moments still, thinking of those eyes when he felt a sudden weight on him. 

"Dude are you okay? You were insane." Jaehyun turned to find his best friend Doyoung, looking at him with concerned eyes. 

"Who was that?" Jaehyun had heard the other man called him your highness but still had no idea who he was. Class 2 members and below were usually not armed with much knowledge about the royalty because they are "not supposed to appear in front of them anyway".But Doyoung would know. Afterall, Doyoung is a class 3 member who was the only person along with his family who never looked down on him. 

"That is Prince Taeyong. He is the 2nd in line and the one not favored to be the next heir." 

"Why not? He seems nice..."  

"Exactly. He is too nice to everyone, even those in class 1. The king doesn't want a weakling like that. Plus, his mum is just a 3rd wife. The queen would never allow that." Doyoung explained. "But what was that? I saw it. The two of you stood still for a good 5 seconds staring at each other."

"I don't know... I felt something when I was holding his hand, like I want to hold on to him for a long time." Jaehyun's voice softened to a whisper, afraid of letting anyone hear that.

"Jae? Whatever you feel? Don't. He is royalty. As much as I hate this stupid system, it's still best not to associate ourselves with them. You'll get in trouble. Comeon, let's get those medicine for Jungwoo." 

"Yeah, I'm sure it's nothing." Jaehyun replied. But the truth is, he wasn't sure at all. 

Those eyes never left his mind since.