What are the odds?

The Only
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It must have been a really funny joke.

How could it not have been, seeing the bleak chances of a coincidence like this one occurring and yet having it occur anyway.

And Juhyun didn’t know how to feel about it — seeing the face she thought she had already grown to forget, again.

And yet it was still that same smile on the face in front of her that she recalled finding herself mirroring before; except that now, things were different and Juhyun’s face remained expressionless — although the pounding of her heart screamed otherwise.

And the next thing she knew, was a pair of familiar arms around her pulling her into a warm embrace which she thought she had long forgotten.

“ It has been so long, Juhyun unnie!”

Yet Juhyun remained baffled by how her nerves still managed to be entangled with the same vicious fluttering in her heart despite it being so long.

But how could she forget that feeling.

It was still just as intense as before.

“ I missed you.”

Of course, those words encompassed a different meaning now — or at least for Juhyun’s own good, she had to remind herself to think so.

Yet the tautness in her jaw from clenched teeth over a single embrace was evident that her heart felt differently.

After all, how could you forget your feelings for someone who never truly left your mind? Whom even if did leave, still left traces in your memory?

But that was also how Juhyun should remember her feelings for Kang Seulgi.

A memory.

And Juhyun wasn’t about to crumble over a memory.

 

Except that it wasn’t a memory now that the monolid was here, holding her like she used to.


But Juhyun could not afford to slip back into old habits.

So when Seulgi pulled away, Juhyun mustered a polite smile in return — a masquerade to hide the anxiety that was building up at the base of and threatening her to regurgitate.

“ It’s nice to see you again, Seul.”

Seulgi chuckled awkwardly.

“ It’s nice to see you again too, unnie. I hope things have been going well? ”

And then there it was, that nauseating churn in the pit of her stomach which followed that question.

She didn’t want to start a conversation about how she had been.

Because that would mean re-opening old wounds and recounting how painful it was for her to heal from her heartbreak.

And that would also mean telling Seulgi how hurt she was when she chose someone else over her.

And that would also mean accepting that she was and probably still is in love with Seulgi.


“ Yeah it’s been pretty okay. Sorry to be abrupt but I am in a rush for an appointment at the moment so I have to go now.”

“ Oh I won’t hold you up then. Here’s my number, since you changed yours and I don’t know if you still have mine. Drop me a text and let’s catch up when it’s a better timing for you, unnie.”

Seulgi smiled warmly and Juhyun was sure that she was about to have a panic attack if she didn’t leave now.

“ Sure. I’ll let you know again. I have to go now, so... see you.”

 

With the piece of paper that was slipped in her hand, Juhyun quickly spun on her heel after flashing a polite smile and scurried past the gantry, leaving a slightly confused Seulgi who merely shrugged and went on with her day.

Thanking God the train wasn’t crowded, Juhyun finally let go of the breath she didn’t realise she had been holding after settling down on an empty row of seats she had to herself.

Any second longer in that conversation and Juhyun might have either fainted or thrown up.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter