First

Watermelon Soda
Please log in to read the full chapter

It's been forever.

She used to always drink this watermelon flavored soda (under her parent's permission ofc) when she was children. Together with her childhood friends, they would run to the hilltop and enjoy the drink under the japanese maple tree.

Oh how Minjoo misses that. 

How Minjoo misses them.

The sizzling sound greets her ears the moment she pops the tab. Her eyes turn melancholic as the smell, the color, everything about the drink brings back memories.

"Excuse me..."

She blinks her eyes, trying to stop the mist forming in her eyes. She takes a moment to compose herself until the person calls her the second time.

"Excuse me."

"Yes?"

She finally turns around and frowns at a girl around her height standing in front of her. She can see the girl's reddish skin behind her lose checkered shirt before her eyes travel downward to a pair of black fitted pants and canvas shoes. Her eyes then shift upward to fluffy locks of burgundy hair in a shoulder-length bob cut. The girl pulls the snapback hat with 'work is play' printed on it downward, covering her face even further than the small glimpse Minjoo already saw. The girl looks ethereal despite covering herself more than she can show -

"Uhm, can I get your number?"

- and Minjoo wasn't expecting to hear the pick-up line from someone that she believes more beautiful than herself.

"Excuse me?" Now it's Minjoo's turn to ask. She tilts her head to the side at the same time her eyes catch movement hiding behind a wall not far from them. Two girls are watching them from the woman's back.

"...is she an idiot? How could she pick up girls like that?"

"...I told you to teach her first, duckie!"

Minjoo's eyes narrow at the whispers and apparently, she's not the only one listening.

The girl turns her head with a huff to her companions. "Argh! I told you I can't do it!" She throws her arms in exasperation before turning her attention back to Minjoo (which she can finally see the girl's full face) and flashes an apologetic smile. "We're sorry for disturbing you, miss. Have a good day."

The girl leaves and Minjoo hears her speaking about buying her companions' lunch set, which Minjoo doesn't pay attention to because her gears are already working full inside her mind.

That face.

"Kkura-unnie?"

The girl stops and turns her head back at Minjoo with questioning eyes. Minjoo waits in anticipation as she grips the soda can tighter.

It takes a while until the frown dissipates and the girl points a finger at her.

"Minjoo?"

Minjoo tastes the watermelon soda she missed so much in despite not drinking the soda can.

"It's been a while." Sakura's greeting comes in a whisper as they stare at each other. No one wants to peel their eyes away from each other, it seems, and Minjoo returns the greeting with a silent nod.

They open their mouths at the same time, and as if to prove their undying chemistry, they also stop talking at the same time. The silence slowly grows uncomfortable.

Minjoo eyes an empty bench nearby, giving a silent offer to sit down and talk, and as expected Sakura gets the message. Though the japanese glances at her watch instead before pressing her hands together in an apologetic manner.

"I'm sorry, Minjoo, I have work coming up." She grimaces, trying her best not to be too dismissal, "but now that it comes to this, let's exchange each other's phone number."

"Ah, okay." Minjoo is too perplexed by the fast pace and she hands her phone wordlessly to Sakura, watching as her childhood friend hurriedly punches her digit before dialing herself. After making sure the call goes through, Sakura hands the phone back to Minjoo.

"It's really nice meeting you here, Minmin." Sakura smiles. Oh how Minjoo misses hearing that nickname, "I'll contact you later once I'm free. Uh...bye!"

Sakura really gives no room for the younger to respond, and Minjoo ends up watching the japanese's approaching her companions. The two girls throw confused glances at Minjoo as Sakura drags them away.

Her senses finally come back to her like a stone dropped from the cloud; hard and fast. And Minjoo finally screams in exasperation.

She can't believe Sakura whom she hasn't seen in five years just dismissed her in five minutes!

Minjoo was in the middle of class when her phone vibrates. She looks around to make sure no one pays attention to her before pulling her phone out from under the table. She puts her textbook slightly upward and slides her phone under it to make it less obvious from others' eyes.

[I miss watermelon soda] gc

chaewon: kkura-unnie
are you free today?

Minjoo smiles at the message. That day Minjoo told Chaewon about meeting Sakura and the older girl couldn't stop pestering the japanese to meet ever since then. Minjoo lost count how many times Chaewon told Sakura that she misses her.

And how many times Chaewon calls her stupid.

Minjoo rolls her eyes.

sakura: i'm free from dinner afterward.
why?

chaewon: great!
minjoo's mom invited me to have dinner at their house. you should come too!
I bet she'll be so much delighted to see you again!

Minjoo drops her pen in surprise, thanking her neighbor seat friend from picking it up for her before turning her attention back to her phone. She quickly sends a private chat to Chaewon

Minjoo: wth chaewon i didn't say anything about my mom inviting you for dinner!

Chaewon: so? it's a fact you always eat dinner at your home anyway. just tell her you guys are having two more stomachs to fill.
and trust me I bet you kims will love to have us over

Minjoo: urgh pray that mom hasn't decided our dinner yet. you know how she loves planning our meal ahead of time.

Chaewon: oh trust me she'll be on her way soon to

Please log in to read the full chapter