Chapter Five.

Lykos Curse

WARNING! Some graphic content here + violence. I'm letting you know now just incase. boop.

CHAPTER FIVE | The Change

 

Rowoon waited in the courtyard of the school with his phone pressed up against his ear.

Come on, come on.

He tapped his foot on the ground, impatiently waiting for Dawon to pick up his call. Class was currently in session, so the courtyard was empty. But still, Rowoon couldn’t help but keep an eye out for the other students.

Hello?”

Rowoon jumped at the sound of his friend’s voice through his cellphone. “Dawon!”

Rowoon? What’s going on? Why did you call me?”

“I don’t know how to explain it, but something’s happening to me.” Rowoon quickly checked his surroundings and continued. “I think I’m losing my mind.”

“What do you mean? Where are you?” Dawon sounded alarmed by his words.

“I don’t know what to do. I’m at school right now—” There was a shuffling on the other end and multiple different voices that spoke over each other. Rowoon looked down at his phone then listened again.

Rowoon? Is that you?” Hwiyoung called to him instead.

“Hwiyoung. I need help.” Rowoon could feel his heart pounding in his chest. His vision was getting all funky as he listened to the phone, and at the same time, he could hear the soft chatter of two girls somewhere in the distance. Not only that, but he could smell them as well. The scent of vanilla and a hint of mint shampoo. There was also a underlining smell of copper that made his stomach grumble.

“Rowoon listen to me! Stay where you are until I come get you. Don’t. Go. Anywhere! You hear me?!” Rowoon slowly dropped his phone from his ear and let his arm go limp at his side. His phone dangled from his two fingers, then fell to the ground with the call still connected.

“Rowoon? Kim Rowoon?!” Hwiyoung was practically yelling through the phone, but Rowoon couldn’t hear him. He could only hear two heart beats and the constant flow of liquid like water flowing over a rocky edge.

His eyes shifted into a vibrant yellow and he started off in the direction of the sound like he was under a spell.

Staggering down the hallway, Rowoon stopped when he spotted two girls walking with their arms linked together. They giggled and talked, completely unaware of the hungry eyed boy who was sizing them up.

“I can’t believe you tripped in front of the whole class!”

“Stop it! I don’t even want to think about it anymore. I’m so embarrassed I could die!” One girl whined.

“Ok, ok, let’s just get that scrape of yours treated.”

Their scent, the smell of blood. Rowoon could practically taste it on the tip of his tongue. He was intoxicated just by thinking about it. He craved it so strongly.

Straightening up, he drew closer to the girls, eyes still glowing brightly. He could see the same intricate picture of veins running through their bodies as he did in his mother. The way they shined was so enticing to him. Just a little closer and he’d reach them. He was so hungry.

“Oh no you don’t!”

Two arms gripped the back of his shirt and dragged him into one of the classrooms. Rowoon struggled to get away, but the strength of the other person was unbelievable.

He was thrown effortlessly across the floor, plowing down a row of desks as he slid. Thankfully the room was empty so nobody could see the white-haired boy as he furiously marched over to Rowoon and lifted him up by his collar.

“K-Kim Taehyung?” Rowoon choked, finding this whole thing oddly familiar.

“You’ve caused me one hell of a headache!” Taehyung hissed, throwing Rowoon once again so he smacked hard against the blackboard and crumbled to the ground.

Rowoon coughed and somehow found the will to try and get back up. He was in a ton of pain, but his body felt unbreakable.

“Stay down.” Taehyung groaned in annoyance and stepped on his back, pinning him to the floor.

“What the hell?! What do you want from me?!” Rowoon struggled to get his words out as the guy’s foot threatened to snap him in half.

Taehyung sighed and crouched down, putting a little more weight on his foot, causing Rowoon to wail in pain. “I would love to kill you. Buuut, I’ve been given orders to spare your disgusting, infected life. For whatever reason…” He leaned in near Rowoon’s face to speak to him. His voice was nothing but bitter.

“I’m taking you with me whether you like it or not. Can’t have you making any messes around here!” Taehyung announced and grinned at what he was about to do.

“This might hurt just a bit. Or maybe a lot.”

He put all his strength into his foot until he could hear the loud crack of Rowoon’s spine and a shrill shriek from the boy before his body went limp. So much for feeling unbreakable…

“All in a day’s work…” Taehyung sighed.

 

✦✦✦

 

Rise and shine kid!”

Rowoon was awoken by a slap to the face. The hit was hard enough to nearly dislocate his jaw from its hinges.

His head hung to the side then he pulled forward into a hunched position. Blood dripped out of his mouth and he spat some of the liquid onto the floor.

“Did you really have to hit him that hard? His blood is going to stain the carpet!”

Rowoon squinted his eyes in order to see straight. He wanted to rub at his throbbing cheek, but his arms were being restrained tightly by ropes.

“Sorry. Guess I don’t know my own strength.” A male apologized coolly.

The room he was in was dark, but he could just barely make out two figures as his vision returned to him.

“Where am I?” Rowoon groaned dryly.

“You’ve been kidnapped by the mafia and have three days to retrieve our money.”

“Shut up Daniel! Stop being such a child!” A girl with ginger red hair smacked the back of his head as he stood like a statue with his arms crossed. He slightly flinched at the contact then laughed it off with a cheeky grin.

“Just joking. You’re actually in our apartment.” Daniel said truthfully.

The girl rolled her eyes and plopped down on a long leather couch with an exasperated sigh. “Let’s just get this over with so we can get him out of here. The smell is making me sick.” She covered her nose with her slim fingers to block out the offending scent.

“What do you want from me?” Rowoon struggled in his restrains, scooting forward in the chair he was bound to.

“We’re going to try to save your life.”

He jerked his head to his right to see Kim Taehyung standing at the edge of the sofa. The boy avoided eye contact with him and stared elsewhere instead.

“Save my life? Do you mind explaining what the hell is wrong with me in the first place? Am I dying or something?” Rowoon suddenly felt angry. He was usually a very laid back and shy person who rarely got angry, but he couldn’t hold back any longer. “What is happening to me?!”

“You are dying.” A voice from in the darkness of the living room spoke out, drawing everyone’s attention.

Up against the pale wall was a tall, gray haired male with a simple white t-shirt that was tucked loosely into black pants. He raised his head to look at Rowoon with glowing blue eyes.

His breath hitched.

W-what?” Rowoon’s voice grew shaky.

“Technically, you’re going to start rotting from the inside out until you become a disgusting, demonic creature that does nothing but feed on flesh and fear.” He explained seriously and pushed off of the wall to approach him.

“W-wait, what do you mean demonic creature?” Rowoon shook his head and struggled to break free once again.

The male stopped in front of him and cocked his head to the side to get a better look at the purple webbing that was snaking its way up the side of Rowoon’s neck.

“You’re the strangest transformation we’ve seen.”

“You’ve got to be joking? This can’t be real.” Rowoon refused to believe the nonsense he was hearing, but at the same time, it had to be true. His emotions were jumbled. Something was clearly wrong with him, but he didn’t want to accept the fact that he was becoming a monster.

“You were bitten by a werewolf, but not the good kind.” Daniel said from behind the gray-haired male.

“A werewolf?” His memory of the night he left the hospital suddenly returned to him. The creature that was calling him, the white wolf, and Kim Taehyung. It was still vague, but he could just barely recall the lost events leading up to where he was now.

“Yes, a werewolf!” The red head snapped viciously, shooting up from the couch. “Do we need to spell it out for you?”

“Calm down Seulgi.” The gray-haired male ordered her softly.

“I can’t Youngk. He makes me sick.” Seulgi grumbled and relaxed on the couch once again.

“Well, yelling at him isn’t going to change anything.” Taehyung said under his breath spitefully to which Seulgi whipped her head around to give him a death glare.

“Ok, that’s enough. Let’s be nice to each other, alright?” Daniel stepped in between them so their view of each other was blocked.

Taehyung crossed his arms and sighed deeply. He and Seulgi had the worst tempers in their pack, and if they didn’t slow down now, things would surely end in a physical fight.

Rowoon waited with pleading eyes for more of an explanation. So was he just going to die and that was it? He had gotten bitten by a mutated werewolf and his life was over? It wasn’t an easy reality to accept.

“Anyways.” Youngk paused and thought carefully before delivering his next words. “You were bitten by an infected werewolf. That purple rash and your uncontrollable hunger are the results of the change. Most people attacked by an infected are killed before the bite can even take its course.”

“Most people?” Seulgi huffed while inspecting the red polish on her nails. “No human has ever survived a bite from an infected that I’ve seen. A normal human is usually slaughtered within seconds of crossing paths with one. But you—” She pointed at him with one brow arched. “—You survived. And I wouldn’t consider you lucky either. I myself would have rather died.”

Rowoon’s heart had sunk to his toes. He wanted answers but got the biggest punch to the gut.

“So, then what now? Are you going to kill me? Am I going to become one of those things? The infected?” Rowoon tried not to get choked up, but the fear was building.

“No.” Youngk answered slowly. “We’re going to try to help you.”

“And how do you plan on doing that?” Seulgi questioned incredulously. “We’ve never dealt with this kind of transformation before. The infection is already changing him, and if we let him live it will probably do more harm than good. That stench of his will attract every last infected werewolf from miles around, bringing them straight to us. And we can’t send him home like this if things don’t go well. That would also bring more attention to us with a missing child on our hands. So tell me, how are you so sure that we can actually help him?”

They all stayed quiet. Seulgi had a point but neither of them wanted to admit it.

“There is a way.”

A deeper, more manly sounding voice joined the conversation from behind Rowoon. Seulgi visibly shrunk back on the couch at his words.

Footsteps trailed across the floor until Rowoon could feel a looming presence behind him. The feeling he was getting made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up.

“With my bite I can slow down the transformation enough to allow my own to begin taking its place.”

“What do you mean Kangjoon–hyung?” Youngk stared at their leader full of curiosity.

“It won’t be perfect, but he is still human until the infection completely takes over his heart and brain. If I bite him then my curse can fight against it.”

“Then he’ll be half werewolf half infected?” Daniel muttered as he put the puzzle pieces together in his head so they made sense to him.

“Is that really possible?” Seulgi asked doubtfully.

“It’s worth a try. If it works, then my bite should be able to keep the infection at bay for as long as he can learn to control himself. Then the only other thing we’d need to do is plunk the roots of the sickness.” Kangjoon explained, placing his hands on Rowoon’s shoulders. The tense boy flinched as he did.

“So you think killing the one who bit him will stop the infection?” Taehyung clarified.

“That is exactly what I think.”

“Well.” Daniel clapped, “we have the bait already. Now just give him the bite and let’s get on with this!” He grinned with excitement.

“W-wait. What are you going to…” he stuttered and felt the man’s arms travel up to his neck and the left side of his head. Hot breath tickled at his neck, sending chills down his spine. “Please don’t!” He whimpered, but it was too late. Fangs plunged through his skin, causing a blood curtailing scream to escape his lips. The pain that gushed through his body in that moment was so excruciating that he quickly lost consciousness.

 

✦✦✦

 

Water splashed on Rowoon’s face. He suddenly woke up, coughing and squirming on the wet floor.

“Wakey, wakey stinky!”

Rowoon tried to pull himself off of the ground with the added difficulty of the shackles clamped around his wrists. As he moved, the chains connected to them rattled loudly in the small, dark room.

“What’s going on? Where am I now?” He groaned, zipping his head around to inspect his surroundings.

“You’re in a safe place for now. We can’t completely trust that our alpha’s bite stopped the infection, so until we know for sure, this is where you’ll stay.” Youngk informed him through the small, rectangular opening in the metal door across the room from him.

Rowoon glanced down at the heavy chains attached to his wrists, ankles, and waist and his eyes grew wide.

“What the hell is this? You chained me up?!”

“It’s for your own good kid!”

“How long am I supposed to stay like this?”

“Until the infection takes over or not.”

“Or you die.” Seulgi added in.

Die?!” Rowoon stressed, his voice cracking. “And how long will that take?!”

“Could be hours, or days. It’s up to you.”

“Days? B-but my parents, my friends! They’re going to be freaking out looking for me!” Rowoon tried to stand up, but he tripped over the heavy chains and dropped down to one knee.

“Don’t worry about them. Just worry about yourself.” Youngk said and started to slide the window shut.

“Wait! Don’t! Please! Guys, you can’t do this to me!” He pleaded, stumbling over the chains again and planting his face firmly into the ground.

“Have fun kid!” Daniel said before the window fully shut.

Guys! Please! Let me go! Don’t do this!”

“I like him. I’m sure he’ll pull through.” Daniel put his hands on his hips and smiled at the door.

Seulgi huffed. “That kid has no chance. He’s too weak.” She crossed her arms and kicked off the wall of the dimly lit hallway. “He won’t last the night.”

“You wanna make a bet?” Daniel challenged with a grin.

Seulgi rolled her eyes. “No, because I know I’m right.”

“If you’re right then you have nothing to worry about.”

“Your cockiness will be your downfall.”

“Then it’s done! If he makes it to tomorrow morning without the infection completely taking over, then I win. Ok?”

Seulgi stared at him in contemplation. She sighed and shook her head, “Fine, but get ready to face the consequences when tomorrow morning comes and that kid has a bullet in his head.”

“We’ll see.” Daniel offered his hand to her and she smacked his away viciously. He laughed and glanced down the hallway.

“Hey Taehyung! You wanna get in on this bet?”

The white-haired male leaning up against the corner of the hallway stood there with his arms crossed and eyes closed.

“Taehyung? You in? Yes? No?”

Seulgi watched him from the corner of her eye, trying to seem uninterested if he joined in or not. She was mostly curious to see who he’d agree with, her or Daniel.

Taehyung kicked off the wall and disappeared around the corner without a word. He wanted nothing to do with their game. Whether Rowoon died or not, he could care less.

Seulgi sneered in Taehyung’s direction. “Figures…”

“Sounds like the fun is starting.” Daniel announced with a smile and Seulgi brought her attention back to the door. Youngk was still standing up against it, seeming very relaxed as he listened to the younger boy’s screaming and pleading.

“Please… please… please let me go…” Rowoon’s vision got blurry and his body swayed side to side. His voice was becoming hoarser as he continued to speak.

When he opened his mouth again, he cried out in pain, feeling an intense burning sensation radiating throughout the bite wound on his neck and chest.

His body was drenched in sweat, and with every burst of pain, an animalistic growl coated his screams.

“What’s—happening?” Rowoon choked, feeling his fingers curl uncontrollably. It felt like his body had a mind of its own.

A couple of hours went by with him struggling in agony. He flopped onto his back and breathed heavily. An underlining demonic tone came out as he gasped for air.

The purple webbing of the infection had made its way up the side of his face and around his torso. His body burned the most in those areas, as if he was being branded by scorching hot metal. The pain was too much. He just wanted it to end.

Daniel was sitting on the floor in the hallway, drawing circles on the wood with his index finger out of boredom. He wasn’t affected by the screams of the younger boy, but Seulgi was beginning to find it quite disturbing despite her seemingly thick skin.

“He’ll give up soon. Sounds like he doesn’t have much longer.” She pointed out.

“Nah. Give him some more time.” Daniel refused to give up on him. He peered up at Youngk, searching the beta’s blank expression for any feedback, but he was nearly impossible to read. They just had to wait.

Rowoon lifted himself onto his knees and growled like a wild animal. His wide eyes glowed bright yellow and sharp fangs appeared in his mouth.

His hands slammed down on the ground and his back arched. His entire body was trembling. Sweat dripped from his wet hair onto the floor, and saliva brimmed around his lips.

When he raised his head, his view of the door faded into the shining, red outlines of three bodies. He could see the other werewolves perfectly through the wall.

“Please…” He choked, reaching out to them, but a sudden crack made him cough. His muscles bulged and his spine arched into an unnatural angle. The purple webbing proceeded to spread until his skin had turned a solid purple-ish gray color. It was then that his mind lost all control. He was no longer himself. He couldn’t even remember who he was. He didn’t look human anymore. Rowoon was beginning to resemble the same creature that had attacked him that night. The same creature that started all the craziness.

Puncturing the metal floor with his sharp claws, he roared loud enough to shake the building.

Seulgi and Daniel were slightly taken aback by the power the boy possessed with his howl alone. It was apparent to all of them that their leader’s bite had failed. Rowoon wasn’t strong enough to fight the infection. Keeping him alive any longer would be dangerous. This meant they needed to take action, and fast.

Even Taehyung, who was back on the couch in the living room, knew what going to happen next. He was seated, leaning over with his hands folded together. As soon as he had heard the boy’s howl, he closed his eyes in silent acceptance.

Kangjoon was there with him, staring out at the city through the glass wall of the apartment with a neutral expression.

“See. I told you he wouldn’t make it.” Seulgi shrugged her shoulders in fake disappointment.

“Aw man.” Daniel rubbed at the nape of his neck. “What a bummer.”

“That means I won.”

“You’re right. You won fair and square.” Daniel nodded and turned to face Youngk.

The beta was still leaning against the door, unmoved.

“Youngk?” Said Seulgi.

“What?” He answered.

“Aren’t you going to stop him now? Those chains aren’t going to hold him for long!” She stressed, coming off a little bossy.

Youngk nodded in agreement and retrieved the gun he had tucked into the belt of his pants. Rowoon was growling and slamming around the inside of the room. There was no sign of the boy he used to be. Only a monster remained. It truly was a shame.

Seulgi and Daniel watched and waited as Youngk slid the small window of the door open and aimed the gun at the creature inside.

Daniel jokingly covered the She-wolf’s eyes with his hand, but she immediately swatted it away with a scowl.

Youngk lined up his shot. One silver bullet straight to the head would do the trick. As his finger gripped the trigger, the beta suddenly hesitated. His eyes widened.

“What? What’s wrong?” Seulgi asked, feeling the shift in the male’s emotions.

Daniel blinked in confusion and followed Seulgi to the door.

“He’s not gone yet.” Youngk muttered.

What?!” Seulgi peeked through the opening and saw Rowoon, well, the wolf he had become, biting his own arm. Razor sharp fangs drew blood as he chomped down over and over again.

“What is he doing?!” Seulgi exclaimed, perplexed by the creature’s actions. “Is he eating himself?”

“I believe the kids trying to fight back.” Daniel laughed, feeling very amused by the sight.

Rowoon unlatched his teeth and fell hard against the left wall, growling and hissing ferociously. Blood dripped from his mouth and splattered in different directions. He thrashed his head and raked his nails across his face, howling as he did so.

“Ugh.” Seulgi covered her nose and backed away from the door. “That smell! His blood reeks!”

“You’ve got that right.” Daniel’s nose scrunched up that the scent, but he continued to watch.

The creature squealed and yanked at his chains, using enough strength to snap one of the lines in half.

Youngk flinched. His hand still cradled his gun. He wasn’t sure if he should keep waiting to see if the boy would pull through or kill the infected wolf before any more damage could be done. If he was to escape them and roam free, it would be a disaster.

“Kill him, Youngk! He’s going to get loose!” Seulgi shouted.

“Wait.”

Wait?! How much longer can we let this go on?! The infection is too power. He’s just suffering now. Soon enough he’ll be braking out of here, and if he slips through our fingers, the blood he spills will be on our hands!”

Youngk glared at Seulgi with his blue eyes. Without saying anything, she was shot down by the beta’s authority.

“As much as I hate to admit it, she’s right. We’ve got to stop him now.” Daniel joined in. He didn’t want to get on the beta’s bad side, but something needed to be done.

Just as Youngk was about to give in, Rowoon belted another ground shaking roar. A burst of wind brushed through the small window and they all turned away to protect their faces.

Rowoon fell onto his back in a struggle and clawed at his abdomen, ripping and tearing. His eyes went from yellow to brown, and his leathery skin began to change back to his natural color. Some of it started peeling off like a shedding snake. His body morphed until all that was left was a battered and gasping Rowoon. He was drenched in sweat, with wounds covering his bare skin. He made brief eye contact with Youngk before completely passing out.

The three wolves stood there frozen in awe.

“Holy .” Daniel huffed. “How about that?” He turned around and patted Seulgi on her shoulder. “Looks like I won.” He whispered in her ear and walked off down the hallway triumphantly.