of love notes and late night shifts

A Poem Titled You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

II.

 

The hallways are almost deserted, except for a couple of latecomers who have probably overslept, the same way Jeongyeon has. 

She shuffles towards her locker, and presses down the buttons to open it up; a small yellow paper slips out and falls to the floor. Sighing, Jeongyeon kneels down to pick it up, running her fingers through her blonde locks as she assets the unfamiliar object. The piece of paper turns out to be an envelope, and the first thing Jeongyeon notices is the tiny flower doodle in one of the corners. She smiles.

 

She tucks it in the pocket of her black hoodie, assuming it’s some invitation to the school’s upcoming drama -although these usually look fancier with the extra effort the drama club kids put into them-, or a VIP invitation to some kind of nerds-only party that she would totally join.

 

Coming back to her senses, she grabs her literary theories book and rushes to class, praying to the Gods of University and Suffering that her professor is as late as her. 

 

She makes a beeline to the back of the classroom where her friends are slacking with an empty spot, saved just for her.

The professor walks in the second she takes a seat. 

 

“Missed your alarm?” one of her two classmates asks.

“Mornings would’ve been for me if they started at two in the afternoon and didn’t have eight a.m classes.” the blonde groans, earning a snort from the other girl.

 

“Miss Yoo, miss Minatozaki!” their professor warns, shooting them a glare.

“If glares could kill,” Jeongyeon whispers, before they apologize in an attempt to avoid the wrath of their teacher.

 

Sana nudges Jeongyeon in the side, trying to stifle a giggle. She looks over to see their other friend, the third edge of their triangle, sprawled all over her papers, sound asleep.

“If Ji sees her, she’s as good as dead.” Jeongyeon comments.

“Waking her up is even riskier. You know her,” they both sigh, paying their attention back to whatever their teacher is scribbling on the whiteboard. 


 

The class is over, and they struggle to wake their friend up, who grins sleepily at them as she stretches out a yawn.

“Had a nice nap, miss Hirai?” professor Park’s voice fills the almost empty room, and the three girls freeze in place.

 

“Next time try not to snore.” she adds, as Momo makes a strangled noise, straining out an apology. 


 

“At least no one else was here to witness that.” Sana jokes once the professor leaves the class.

 

“Yeah, that way no one would’ve known how we died or who killed us.” Jeongyeon mocks, stuffing Momo’s books in her bag.

“Why do you even bother putting out your stuff, miss Hirai?” she complains, mocking their teacher as she does.

“I need to look like I’m trying.” Momo replies, smiling sheepishly.

“As if..” 

“But,” Sana interrupts, “doesn’t she look so hot when she’s pissed off?” 

 

“Minatozaki!” both of her friends groan at the same time.

“Stop romanticizing Ji’s desire to kill us.” 

“Control your gay hormones. It’s punishment enough that I have to deal with Momo’s mess on a daily basis.” Jeongyeon teases as she stares at the girl in question, who is now looking at her with an innocent pout and puppy eyes, like a kid on the verge of breaking into tears.

Jeongyeon gives in, guilt eating her inside out. Damn how weak Momo’s pouts make her.

 

Sana ruffles Momo’s hair, throwing a glare Jeongyeon’s way - look what you’ve done now -. 

 

“Hungry?” the blonde asks, and Momo almost jumps out of her place. “Yes! I want a hamburgerwith-extrafriestwoslicesofpizzaand..” she trails off as if to think, “ice cream,” she adds with a -eating grin, looking much more awake at the mention of food.

“Here she goes again.” Jeongyeon sighs, throwing her hands in the air, “I didn’t have enough sleep to deal with this .” 

 

They run to their next class, ‘cause Momo insisted on getting a snack, and Sana was too busy eyeing one of her crushes to notice the time.

 

It’s not until the third lecture that Jeongyeon remembers the yellow envelope from the morning. She grabs it gently and pulls out the sky blue paper carefully tucked inside.

 

i’m drunk on your scent,

and your laugh is my favorite song..

 

Jeongyeon turns the paper, looking for anything, any sign, on who might’ve put that in her locker. Nothing but the little doodle.


 

“Hirai!” she scoffs, getting Momo’s attention. “Too early for April fool’s.” 

Jeongyeon rolls her eyes at Momo’s nonchalant demeanor, and waves the little blue paper.

“I know you did this.”

“No I didn’t.”

“You did!”

“Whatever.” Momo shrugs, and Jeongyeon starts to believe that, okay, maybe it’s not her best friend who’s pulling a prank on her.

 

Sana comes back from the restroom minutes later, and Jeongyeon asks her if she was the one who slipped the love letter -she cringes at her choice of words- in her locker. Sana denies it too.

 

“You have a secret admirer, miss Yoo.” they for the rest of the day -the rest of the month.


 

-

 

V.

 

The letters keep showing up in her locker at random times -she has tried to make a pattern but failed. Sometimes it’s on wednesday mornings, sometimes Friday evenings, sometimes not even once for the whole week. And she doesn’t tell her best friends that not finding any, kind of makes her, a little bit, maybe, sad. 


 

-

 

I.

 

Jeongyeon greets the girl behind the counter as she makes her way to get a cup of noodles and a bag of crackers

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter