Graduation

She was Sunshine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1 - Graduation

 

Hyewon

 

 

I didn't know how it started but somehow I just realized how sudden she lit up each dark corner in my life. It was a subtle breeze, barely noticeable, and yet grew stronger, like a sudden gust blowing away a neat pile of leaves, leaving a mess, then in a blink of an eye, she brought a tornado making its way towards a city. Before I knew it, I was completely blown away.

You see, I didn't actually talk to her that much in the University. She was, rather, an overwhelming character. If she wasn't joining contests, she would be helping out with big projects. Which doesn't surprise me at all, considering that she was Student Council President in her last year. Unlike me, I was just a normal kid. She and I were just a little too different. I guess. 

I was the most quiet kid in class. No kidding. I had a few friends. I just mind my own business until she came along.

Yena

"Oh my God. I didn't know you're into Twice." She kind of popped out randomly in one corner. I was talking to Sakuchan about the project and she just weirdly blurted it out of nowhere.

"Uhm. Where'd you get that information? I'm not." I coldly replied.

"Your steam account says otherwise. You like Chaeyoung." She smirked. Yes, from how coy she looked, she has been staring at my laptop for the past hour completely avoiding all forms of academic activity. Now she found someone to divert all her attention to. 

"I like Chaeng. But she seems really underrated." She sighed. I don't want to get hooked into a conversation with her because I'd be too distracted. 

"She's talented, cute, crazy pretty, artistic and amazing. Of course, my heart belongs to Sana. Hahaha" Yena began to spazz about Chaeyoung and Sana. I was completely mum and hushed about it, just letting her go on about why Chaeyoung was one of the best kpop girls, occasionally mentioning Sana in between. As I was listening to her, I couldn't help but stare at her lips, protruding, almost pouting, her forehead was scrunched up, and she looked so passionate with what she's saying. 

What is she getting all worked up for? I thought. Without me noticing, I let out a soft chuckle. 

"Yah. You're bothering us, Yena. Go away." Sakura sneered at her. 

"Oh please, You'll thank me once Hye becomes open of her once tendencies." Yena rolled her eyes and nagged Sakura. 

Hye. Wow. She called me that and we aren't even that close. But I didn't mind it at all. She didn't mean any harm and she had a fun aura around her. And besides, to her, everyone was her friend. Ever since then, I kinda kept an eye on her. 

---

It was almost graduation and death was near everyone. Requirements after requirements, deadlines over dead students, thesis defense, and the impending doom of the board exam reviews were taking a toll on everyone's sanity. But not mine though. I was always calm during these situations, insinuating panic won't help anyone. 

Somehow, I always found myself hanging out with Sakuchan and her friends, Nako and Eunbi, which eventually became mine as well. Throughout the entire duration of it I found myself in their apartment, if not studying with them, we would play games all night long. But that time around everyone was out and I was waiting for Sakuchan to get back from Kaeun's place. So it was the perfect time to parasite their WiFi connection and play online.

Suddenly a nudge from someone in my friend list.

 

            sattangsarang: hello I love Chaeyoung.

            Ilovechaeyoung: who's this?

            sattangsarang: ack. we've already played 5 games straight n u don't even know me.
            sattangsarang: T R A G I C

            Ilovechaeyoung: srsly you're the one who keeps on trashtalking the opponents only to lose all the 5 games we played in.

            sattangsarang: only because I have ty connection at my place. 

            Ilovechaeyoung: now who dis

            sattangsarang: u at saku's?

            Ilovechaeyoung: yes.

            sattangsarang: then open the door and let's play

            sattangsarang is now offline 


Weird. I thought. Then suddenly someone knocked at the door. To my surprise, it was her. She was wearing a yellow hoodie with a backpack held tightly behind her back. It looked heavy and she had the biggest grin on her face. 

"Yena." I looked at her.

"Yo hey what the hye I've been playing with you and you don't even know who I am???" She had her hands at her waist.

"Ah. I thought it was a random kid talking . I didn't bother to know who that is." I chuckled.

"My username would have been a giveaway." Yena strolled inside. "anyway. Where is Saku?"

"Nako said she's out eating samgyupsal." I answered. Yena had a weird look in her eyes and a sinister smile. 

"She's probably eating Kaeun. Hahahahaha." Yena laughed like a mad man. I looked at her weirdly. 

"Oh by the way, the reason why I came here was this." Yena took her laptop out. 

"It's two in the morning. You should sleep or study." I said as she was setting her laptop up on Sakura's bed. She had a fiery look in her eyes.

"I don't sleep." 

"I don't study either." She had a dumb smile plastered on her face.

"Come on. Let's play." Yena insisted and I couldn't say no.


------


A month before graduation, everyone has been computing their grades like crazy. It was a good thing I had a good head above my shoulders. Heck, my grades are probably at the top 10% of the entire batch. Don’t get me wrong, I’m just really proud of the fruits of my hard work, my entire focus has been graduating on time. It was such a hectic final semester but somehow I managed to pull through. Now, I’m just studying for finals exam.

But for now, I think I owe myself a good game. Maybe I should visit Sakura’s place. Over the past few months that I’ve been mooching off Sakura’s room amenities, I’ve become closer to some of my classmates who I haven’t been able to interact with for the past years I’ve been in the same class with them. It’s really amazing how everyone was living in the same building. It really that I live a block away from them. 

Room 1906

I knocked at the door. I heard rustles, typing, and a whole lot of shouting inside the room. Is it safe to enter this warzone? I wondered. As I was about to enter the room, a hand stopped me from going inside. 

“It’s chaos there. Don’t go.” Eunbi blocked the door knob. 

“Why?” I asked. 

“Look.” Eunbi pointed at the bottom of the door. An unknown fluid seeped through the door’s cracks which brought a foul stench to the hallway. 

“Ew, what’s that?” 

“That’s our thesis.” A sudden voice popped out of nowhere. “We’re checking the properties of oil and testing our prototype right now. We’re rushing to get results, we’re so behind schedule and I’m late haha!” Yena wiped sweat from her forehead. She appeared flushed. 

“Where have you been? Nako and Sakura are waiting for you!” Eunbi shouted.

“I had council matters to attend. They’re not letting me live ugh.” Yena whined. “The elections for next year’s executive board are on-going. While there’s no one elected yet, guess I’ll be steering the ship.” Yena smiled. 

“Are you going to your room first before going to Saku’s?” I asked. Yena lived three rooms away from Sakura.

“No. I’ll get dirty anyways.” Yena answered as she tied her hair and wore surgical gloves, getting ready for the mess that is masked as Thesis. 

Yena slowly walked towards the door, crouching as she looked at the spilled fluid at the bottom of the door. After a deep breath, she opened the door with Eunbi’s keys. For some odd reason, I was nervous with what the room holds. 

The girl in the ponytail gave her last look at the both of us, knocked her head to the side and smirked. The same smile she’d give whenever she had a plan brewing. 

“Where does she get the energy to do everything?” I asked.

“She might look like an airhead but I think Yena knows her responsibilities.” Eunbi answered. 

“I mean, sometimes she falls short, but I think she makes up for it.” She added. 

Well yeah, she had this hyperactive lifestyle, she wasn’t good academically, I’d say she’s just an average student but she pulls through. Though, she appears that she’s just winging it. It’s amazing really. 

“Anyway, what brings you here?” Eunbi asked.

“I was hoping to play haha but it seems like my playmates are busy.” I answered. “We can hang out at Yena’s room.”

“Uhm..” Eunbi was hesitant to answer.

“I don’t think Chaeyeon’s there, Eun.” I answered. Somehow, the air between Eunbi and Chaeyeon still isn’t the same after their break up a year ago. 

“Let’s go?” I asked her. 

“Sure, I’ll just get my laptop in our room.” Eunbi answered. 

Looks like my plan for abusing Sakura’s room amenities transferred to Chaewon, Chaeyeon and Yena’s room. Thank the gods for free wifi and in their room, they had food. Praise the lord for more food. 

Their room was always welcoming to visitors. Well, Chaeyeon and Yena is. Chaewon on the other hand was a little grumpy, it was a good thing Eunbi knew how to make Chaewon more approachable. 

“My room has been invaded by a cat, a midget, and a hyperactive child. They are currently devising a prototype that can either save or eradicate the world. Staying outdoors is not safe.” Eunbi knocked and greeted Chaewon who opened the door. She gave a bow.

“We seek refuge. (and probably some of your snacks)” I bowed as well. Chaewon rolled her eyes. 

“Come in. I have iced tea in the fridge and some chips. There’s also pasta. Just don’t forget to clean up.” Chaew

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter