Outro

No Song to Regret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

[OUTRO]

 

 

 

I’m aware that our readership is notoriously pedantic to ballads like My Heart Will Go On or I Will Always Love You, but here comes the day a ballad pulls at my heart string: the newest Sia-Greg Kurstin composition Ariadne. We all can talk how exceptional and deeply curious Christopher Nolan’s cinematic execution is, but it is Ariadne that lends the movie’s its poetic justice. When Chalamet’s cry cracks as he tries not to bow under the weight of the world imposed on his shoulders, Shon’s 11-second long note-holding, part plea and part stubborn willpower, catapults us to a new height where only a select few of us are both human and divine.

(Nick Lang, The Rolling Stones, November 19, 2023)

 

Mix some Samuel Beckett-inspired lyrics, some Sia, and a lot of Wendy in a song, and you get Ariadne. What a strong contender for the Academy Award for Best Original Song! Sia might have received the script before the movie even started its principal photography, but somehow Greg Kurstin’s Midas touch made the song work perfectly for the of the movie.

(Mark J. McCain, Billboard, November 19, 2023)

 

I’m delightedly surprised by the work Wendy has done for the soundtracks. Where have you been hiding her all this time, Korea? Or, maybe, in Wendy’s case it takes being in the company of geniuses for a diamond to shine.

(Kenneth Hiraga Knowles, Paste, November 20, 2023)

 

I’ve just found out that it doesn’t take much for me to get wrecked: just hurl Timothée Chalamet’s tears and Wendy Shon’s voice in a Christopher Nolan movie at me. Be honest with me, you also cried when Wendy hit that C6.

(Amanda Sanders, Buzzfeed, November 21, 2023)

 

 

 

[+279, -11] The movie is so good, and the song deserves the Oscar buzz. Good job, Composer Sia, Producer Kurstin, our Wendy.

[+99, -15] Idolhood is too small for her.

[+101, -6] Her runs are to die for.

[+78, -1] Those 11 seconds of glory aigoo...

[+204, -88] If Taeyeon’s voice is that of someone divorced seven times, Wendy’s is that of someone divorced ten times AND having to serve in three world wars.

 

[+588, -12] Nation’s best friends!

 

[+133, -72] I heard Wendy refused to appear in the MV with Sia. She’s letting fame get to her head. This is a waste of Seulgi’s talent. Sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter