Different Kind of Magic

Magic

Seulgi just came back to her shared apartment with Joohyun after two weeks of being at her province. It's been a hard time for the younger girl  as she was there for her grandmother's wake. Joohyun went home with her for the first week but couldn't stay longer than she wanted because she has work to attend to that's why she made sure she'll be at home when the other girl comes back. She set up the movies and prepared a hearty meal for the both of them wishing it will help the college senior to cheer up.

Seulgi has always been a grandma's girl. Her parents worked at the city when she was younger, leaving her under the care of her grandparents who treated her very well. She's so close to her grandmother that she can't sleep without her grandma's arm wrapped around her and she's still like that until now, she'll sleep better when Joohyun's arms are around her which the older girl finds cute.

If not for better opportunities, Seulgi would not leave the province and her grandparents' home but she knew she had to so when she finished highschool, she immediately went to the city for her studies. Not used with sleeping alone, the girl felt very home sick without her grandma around which led to midnight calls to them as she cried about missing them. Seulgi even thought of transfering back to her province but her grandmother talked her out of it, telling her what made her go in the first place.

"You've always dreamed of studying at the university your parents met, right?" Seulgi's grandmother told her over the phone when she called her crying for the nth time. "Don't waste the opportunity you've received, not everyone is blessed to pass that entrance exam."

"But it gets lonely at night, I can't sleep without you." 

"Ya! You really have to suffer first before you succeed! How would you be able to buy me those diamond earrings if you give up?" Her grandmother said causing her to laugh. "Your grandfather here is asking me to tell you about his leather shoes too so you better do well, Seulgi-ya."

Everytime she feels sad, she goes back to that conversation to help her feel better, to make her remember why she's away from them.

Aside from the diamond earrings and leather shoes, she knows her grandparents were really rooting for her and were looking forward for her to come back as a succesful person, she uses that thought to motivate her each time she wants to give up. She always make herself remember that she's doing this not just for herself and her parents, but also for her grandparents.

 

A few months before her second year ends, Seulgi was walking back to her apartment when she saw a listing on a bulletin board about a bed space open for rent. The description says it was a one-bedroom apartment owned by a college senior who's also from her university. She realized they'll be sharing a room together if she moves in and that actually made her feel a little happy. Sharing a room with someone means she'll be less lonely. She's been asking her college friends to move in with her but most of them were already settled in a good place while the others who are available weren't really who she wants to live in the apartment with.

Yeri, her junior who she became friends with as soon as the school year started, would totally turn her into her personal maid, same with Joy so they weren't really be in her choices. Wendy would be the perfect roomie but she's already had herself a good deal with the apartment she's living at. Jisoo would also be a great choice but she's already living with her best friend, Jennie who's also studying in the same university under a different program. She has already met Jennie a lot of times and the girl was extremely nice and sweet and although she actually offered for them to find a bigger space to all live together, she politely declined telling them she wouldn't want them to go through that hassle just for her. But also, she thinks something's going on with the two despite Jisoo's exaggerated denial and she doesn't want to witness that. 

She tore a piece of paper below which contains the contact information about the owner and went home to call her parents and ask for their opinion about it.

"Why don't you just ask your friends again? Maybe they already changed their minds now." Her mother said after drinking her water. They're having an online dinner date, her parents who are already back in the province tending to their business were eating dinner at home while she's having hers at her apartment.

"I ask them every month and they're already growing tired of me asking that."

"How about Yeri? She's a really sweet girl I don't think she'll enslave you like what you always say."

"Mom, don't be fooled by her! She and Joy are devils in disguise."

Her mother laughed to that. Her friends already met her parents when they decided to visit her one time. Her parents treated them all to dinner and they were completely in love with Joy and Yeri. If only they know how wicked those two are!

Her father turned the camera his way before talking, "We're just worried because you don't know who you'll live with. You're seriosuly the only person I know who would throw away the chance to live alone."

"Well, that makes me special," she replied with a wink which made her father laugh. "Seriously, though, I'll meet the owner somewhere before signing into anything. You can even go with me if you want."

There was a silence and Seulgi was crossing her fingers while waiting for the final verdict. With a sigh, her father turned back to her, "Fine. But be sure to meet with the owner in a public place where there are a lot of people, okay? And inform us when you'll meet the owner, we'll see if we can go there and join you."

Seulgi made a little 'yay!' and thanked her parents for allowing her. "I'll call her tomorrow morning and I'll tell you when and where we'll meet. Thanks again, Mom and Dad!"

As soon as Seulgi woke up the next day at 8AM, she immediately dialed the number listed on the paper she took yesterday. She's a little bit nervous because this will be her first time to live with anyone other than her family and she doesn't really know what to expect.

After the fifth ring, she heard a small voice greeting her over the phone. "Hello?"

"Hi. Is this Bae Joohyun?"

"Yes,"  the girl on the other line said, sounding like she's just woken up because of the call. "Why?"

"Oh, this is Seulgi and I'm calling about the room rental, is this a bad time to talk?" Seulgi asked. Maybe 8AM is still early for her to call. She heard a groan and a faint 'what the hell' from the girl before she got a reply, "I'm quite busy today and I have to meet my groupmates tomorrow, can we meet friday night instead?"

 

 

Apparently, Joohyun wasn't really trying to rent out her room.

It's friday and Seulgi was seating in front of the girl at a restaurant near school when the girl told her that. "You're the 10th person to call me about renting my room, that's why I decided to meet up already and explain what really happened."

"You're telling me you aren't aware your apartment is posted in the bulletin board?" Joohyun nodded with a sigh. "And you're telling me, it was a prank made by your cousin to get back at you for pranking her?"

Joohyun gave out a small smile hearing her reason from the other girl's mouth. It sure sounded stupid. "Yes. She's a freshman in our university." She sighed again just thinking of her cousin. "That Kim Yerim, really.."

Kim Yerim?

"Kim Yerim? From the Business department?" Seulgi asked and the girl looked at her with big eyes. "Yes, that Kim Yerim. You know her?"

Seulgi let out a small laugh when she realized they're both talking about the same person. The world is really small because in front of her is another victim of Yeri's evilness. "That kid, really... she's my friend though I'm a year older than her. So, you're the cousin she's been talking about, the one she constantly exchanges pranks with."

"Yeah, I think I went overboard last time when I gave out her number telling people she's looking for a hook-up." Seulgi laughed to that, she remembers a pissed Yerim turning her phone off because she keeps on receiving calls and texts from people she doesn't know. "She was so pissed that time, her phone kept on ringing the whole week."

"Well, yeah, I think I did a really good job at that one."

"She got back at you with a good one too, though." Seulgi said laughing. "So, you're not looking for a roommate?" She asked again, just to be sure. She's a bit disappointed because she already looked forward to having a roommate but, oh well.

"Yes, why do you need one, anyway? Did your roommate leave your apartment?" Joohyun asked curiously.

"I'm living on my own, but I can't get myself used to it that's why I've been asking my friends to be my roommate since last year. None of them were available, though. Yerim was actually offering to be my roommate but I'm scared she'll just enslave me and prank me all the time."

Joohyun laughed a loud one, even clapping her hands. "You've made the right decision not to accept her offer. That's also why when my parents told me she'll live with me until they find a place for her, I immediately looked for one myself. Fortunately, one unit at my building became available. You'll never know the relief I felt that time."

"Yerimie will totally kill us if she finds out we're talking about her like this." Seulgi said while munching her food.

They both continued eating until Joohyun asked again. "Why do you want a roommate?" 

"Well, I get really lonely. I'm not really used to sleeping alone as my grandmother hugs me to sleep ever since I was young. Living alone makes me sad." Seulgi replied honestly. "My dad told me I'm the only person he knows who'd choose living with a roommate when they have already provided me a unit of my own."

"He's right." Joohyun sid laughing.

The two finished their food and when Seulgi was already going to walk the other way towards her apartment, Joohyun held her by her arm. "Seulgi..."

"Yes?"

Joohyun dropped her arm and looked downwards, feelng shy on what she's about to say. "I had fun tonight.. thank you."

"I did, too, Joohyun unnie." Seulgi said smiling because she really did. Joohyun seems to be a nice person, such a waste that she isn't looking for a roommate because they'll probably click.

"Uhm.." Joohyun started and Seulgi waited. "Actually, I was thinking earlier, maybe a having a roommate would be nice, too."

Seulgi looked at her with wide eyes. "Are you telling me..."

Joohyun finally looked at her with a smile. "Yes, if you're still interested."

Seulgi couldn't help herself and hugged the older girl. "Thank you, Joohyun unnie!"

 

Two months later, Seulgi has already transferred her things to Joohyun's unit. The apartment was very clean and spacious, much bigger than her own. They talked about how they would split the bill and came up with an agreement. 

Yerim was so surprised when she found out what happened and was telling them she is their cupid which made the two girls blush but Joohyun hit her in the arm telling her to stop making things weird.

Yerim rolled her eyes whispering "ungrateful grandmas" which earned another hit from Joohyun.

Since Joohyun wasn't really looking fo a roommate, there was a minor problem that occured... there was only one bed.

Seulgi told the older girl she'll just get one for herself but realized the room would be cramped because Joohyun's bed is quite big. "If it's alright with you, we can just share a bed." Joohyun suggested shyly one time when they were trying to plan out their arrangement. Seulgi sees nothing wrong with that because that would also benefit her, she misses sleeping with someone beside her so she agreed with an excited 'yes'.

"That's actually more than alright, unnie."

 

That's how everything started for them, they went from simple roommates, to lovers. It was awkward at first when Seulgi realized she was having feelings for the other girl. Imagine living together with the girl you love, sharing meals, and sleeping together... those almost gave her a heart attack. As for Joohyun, since the first night they met at the restaurant, she already knew she likes Seulgi so when she noticed the the younger girl trying to avoid her, it was really hard for her that's why she confronted her while they were having dinner.

"It's nice that you decided to eat dinner with me again." Joohyun said lightly. It's been a week since they last shared a meal because Seulgi either goes home later than usual or excuses that she had already eaten with friends and needs to do a lot of homeworks.

"I'm not- I... I was just busy." The girl said stuttering.

"Uhuh. It was never a problem before though."

Seulgi sighed and looked at Joohyun, "What's wrong, Joohyun unnie?"

Said girl put her utensils down and looked back at Seulgi. "I don't know, Seul. You tell me."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't you really?"

Seulgi stood up bringing her plates with her at the sink. "I have a lot of things to do tonight, I'll wash the dishes tomorrow. Thank you for the mea-"

"You're avoiding me."

Seulgi turned back and was surprised with Joohyun's closeness, she didn't even hear her move. "Unnie..."

"Why are you avoiding me, Seul?" Joohyun asked.

"I'm not..." Seulgi answered with a small voice.

The older girl bit her lip and sighed, leaning her back to the refrigerator at her left. Still looking at Seulgi she asked, "DId I do something wrong?"

"No!" Seulgi said in panic, she doesn't want Joohyun to think that because the girl has been nothing but a wonderful person, too wonderful that she started to grow some feelings for her. "You didn't do anything. I.. I'm just... I don't know.." She added with her head hanging low.

"Seulgi." Joohyun called out but the girl didn't move so she went closer, lifting her chin to make the girl look at her but the girl was quick to avert her eyes somewhere else. "Please look at me." She said with desperation already laced in her voice.

"Do you like me?" Joohyun asked which made Seulgi's eyes grow big as she stepped back hitting the sink.

Joohyun laughed with how she reacted but her eyes were saying something else, she was disappointed, and a bit hurt. "I was just asking, you could just say no, you didn't have to react like that."

"No!" Seulgi suddenly said in loud voice making Joohyun's heart hurt more.

"Oh, okay. You didn't also have to shout it out like that."

"No, Joohyun unnie! I mean, I wasn't saying no! I- I'm not saying I don't like you because I like you so much, I was just saying no to you when you said I could have just said no-"

Seulgi's rambling was cut when a pair of lips covered hers. Seulgi likes her. Seulgi likes her so much and that was all Joohyun needed to hear. "I like you, too, Seulgi. So much."

 

Hearing a beep from the front door, Joohyun knew her girlfriend was already home so she finished setting the coffee table before rushing to the door. "Hey." She greeted Seulgi who is taking off her shoes. "Give me your bags, I'll bring them inside our room and then you go straight to the living room, okay?" The younger girl did as she was told while Joohyun took her things inside the room. When she went out, Seulgi was laready sitting in the floor in front of the table with lots of food she cooked.

"You made all these for me?" Seulgi asked.

"Of course." The older girl said as she sat beside Seulgi who instantly hugged her tight, burying her face in the crook of Joohyun's neck, whispering a muffled 'thank you'.

"You know there's nothing I wouldn't do for you, babe." She said kissing the top of her head.

Seulgi went back to her place and looked lovingly at Joohyun. "I missed you so much. No one was hugging me to sleep when you left."

"Aww. We'll make up for all the nights I wasn't there, Seul."

 

The girls finished eating and they were seating side by side in the couch watching the movie that Seulgi chose (it's Aladdin, a Disney movie, of course). They have already changed into their sleepwear and were just lounging in the living room with Seulgi's head resting in Joohyun's shoulder.

Joohyun knows that Seulgi wasn't really paying attention with the movie and that her mind is somewhere else at the moment. She remembered she had a small act she prepared that learned from her friend from work and she wanted to use it on Seulgi to make her smile even just a bit. She excused herself and stood up to retrive a stem of pink carnations she kept in the laundry room.

"Hey, babe, look at me." Joohyun said facing Seulgi who is still lost in her thoughts. "Babe."

"Yes?"

"Sit while crossing your legs and face me, I have something to show you."

Though she's a bit curious, Seulgi still did what she was asked to. "What's this about?"

"Shh.. it won't work if you'll be noisy." The younger girl laughed and hit Joohyun in her arm. "Fine, whatever."

Joohyun did a magic trick that she learned, getting the carnation behind her girlfriend's ear.

"This is for you."

Seulgi was surprised to see the flower, it's both their favorite and she found the gesture so sweet she wanted to cry. "Hey, I didn't do it to make you cry. Please don't cry." Joohyun said in panic which made Seulgi laugh. "Thank you so much, babe. You are making me so happy."

"I know, I have more magic tricks, do yo want to see them?" She said arrogantly.

"Then, do you know a magic spell that could bring someone back to life?" Seulgi asked in a whisper. Joohyun's heart fell for the sadness she saw in her girlfriend's eyes, hoping she could do something about them but she knows the pain is still so fresh and there's nothing she can really do for now but to be by her side. She lead the girl to their position before, Seulgi's head on her shoulders before answering her. "No, I'm sorry."

"Oh."

"Why don't you tell me about her?"

"Would that bring her back?"

Joohyun held her face and looked at her, smiling softly. "For us. For a little while. Stories are a different kind of magic."

Seulgi's tears started falling, and this time she didn't hastily try to brush them away. She let them fall, she let them run and breakfree. This will be a long night for the both of them as Seulgi will tell Joohyun every little thing she loves about her grandmother and she knows Joohyun will listen.

She isn't okay right now, but she knows with Joohyun by her side, she'll be better.