Their Life

Beautiful Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At age 5: 

 

 

The sounds of loud chattering and boisterous laughter are what greeted a young girl's ears as she follows behind an older woman. As they advance down the hall in silence, the noise escalates, and the girl slows her steps. Seeming to have sensed her discomfort, the woman looks back at her with a smile, reaching to hold her hand gently, this small action seemed to help her nerves a little, but it does not stop the loud beating of her heart as they resume their walk towards their destination.

 

 

"Class settle down on your seats."

 

 

A gentle voice commands the crowd, making the sounds lessen into silence. With their feet stopping and halting, the girl knows they've arrived. The woman lets go, and her arm drops to her side, her hand fidgets before settling to pull on the tip of her pink dress, while her other hand grips harder on the sling of her backpack.

 

 

"Good morning, everyone. We have a new transfer student."

 

 

The students make a noise of acknowledgment, but the girl does not move. The teacher looks down to her level and smiles, "Go on, introduce yourself." she urges.

 

 

Eyes still focused on the floor; the girl shakes her head. The quietness was unnerving as they wait for her to talk, but as more time passes, the uneasiness within her little body starts to bubble out. The pounding of her heart is massive, and tears began forming in her eyes. It seemed to go on forever when a loud voice echoes through the room.

 

 

"What is your favorite color? Do you like pink? I like pink too."

 

 

The girl raises her head, and her eyes lock with a girl in a blue blouse and black shorts, long blonde hair cascading down, smiling at her.

 

 

"I'm Lee Chaeyeon, and I just turned five years old, how about you?"

 

 

She thinks the girl is weird, why would she suddenly say that out of the blue. But not knowing why, started moving, and before she knew it, she was already talking.

 

 

"I'm Miyawaki Sakura, I’m six, and pink is my favorite color."

 

 

Chaeyeon beams, nose scrunching, and eyes sparkling as she looks at Sakura "Teacher Kim, can she sit beside me? Ji eun is absent, and I like her more."

 

 

Before the teacher could answer, Sakura moves towards the empty seat beside Chaeyeon without a word, surprising both the teacher and the rest of the class.

 

 

Chaeyeon does not look away, even as Sakura had sat down, she continues to stare at her, smile not fading. Soon, she rummages through her bag, before taking out something and placing it on Sakura’s desk.

 

 

Sakura looks back at her puzzled, but Chaeyeon points to her desk. Sakura looks down and sees a pink crayon and some pink flower stickers.

 

 

“Since you like pink.”

 

 

Sakura nods and can’t stop the smile that was slowly forming on her lips. She looks back at Chaeyeon in adoration and this action makes Chaeyeon’s grin widen.

 

 

Both girls wore the same matching grins the rest of the day.

 

--

 

At age 6:

 

 

"Bye, mama."

 

 

Sakura bids her mom goodbye as she gets out of the car. She is carrying a big bag in one hand and her favorite teddy bear in the other. She walks to the familiar pathway towards the house she's considered her second home. It was quite a coincidence that their houses are near each other, a 15 minute walk distance to be exact.

 

 

Before she reaches the door, it opens and reveals a wide grinned Chaeyeon wearing a blue dress, the same golden locks shining under the sunlight. Sakura looks down at her pink dress and smiles. Just like the first time.

 

 

"Saku Chan!"

 

 

Chaeyeon runs up to her instantly, engulfing Sakura in a hug sandwiching the teddy bear between them. Sakura giggles, hugging her back. Chaeyeon pulls back and smiles, immediately grabbing her hand and pulling her towards the house.

 

 

Sakura lets Chaeyeon drag her inside, the smile she's donning never leaving her face.

 

 

When the two settles down on the couch, Chaeyeon's mom comes in with a bowl of popcorn and two glasses of orange juice. She greets Sakura and walks towards the TV to start the movie. She pats their heads and leaves for the kitchen.

 

 

"Did you know fishes could talk?"

 

 

Sakura shakes her head. Of course, she didn't know, as far as her seven-year-old knowledge goes animals don't talk.

 

 

But Chaeyeon grins, excited at Sakura's confused expression and eagerly explains the movie they were about to watch. It was about a clownfish trying to find his son.

 

 

"Do you think the fishes in the ocean are always happy because they have their own clowns?"

 

 

Sakura looks at Chaeyeon and sees the sincerity. She thinks Chaeyeon is weird but not knowing why, started moving, and before she knew it, she was already talking.

 

 

"I'm sure they are."

 

 

Chaeyeon hums as she leans her head on Sakura's shoulder.

 

 

"So, are you, my clownfish?"

 

 

Sakura leans her head on Chaeyeon's and makes a sound of agreement.

 

 

"Yeah! You're my clownfish, too"

 

--

 

At age 7:

 

 

Sakura and Chaeyeon are both at the backseat of the car. They are on their way to their ballet class. Sakura wasn't that good at dancing, but Chaeyeon is phenomenal. Sakura wanted to stay at home and play games. So Chaeyeon said it's okay and that she'd go alone, but she wanted to play games with Chaeyeon and not alone, so here she is sitting beside the girl, laughing at the faces the latter is making. They were both giggling so much that it makes Chaeyeon's mom look back at the rearview mirror with a smile.

 

 

"What are you girls giggling about?"

 

 

Both girls look at her but don't answer. A few seconds of silence, Chaeyeon suddenly burps, and Sakura's eyes widen in surprise. Chaeyeon eyes shift from her mom to Sakura in a guilty manner. Chaeyeon's mom shakes her head, used to her daughter's antics.

 

 

"I tried to blow bubbles using my saliva?" Chaeyeon explains

 

 

But Chaeyeon's mom just laughs, "No more soda for dinner, okay, Chae?"

 

 

It seems they are caught despite Chaeyeon's attempts. Earlier, before they were about to leave, Chaeyeon's dad had given her a soda secretly when her mom had told her no. Sakura watches as the two smiles mischievously. Sakura moves to protest, but Chaeyeon's mom beats her to it.

 

 

"You're an accomplice Sakura so no soda for you too."

 

 

Sakura pouts, feeling it was unfair since she wasn't part of it, but Chaeyeon taps her side.

 

 

"I was really trying to blow bubbles; I felt the bubbles come up."

 

 

Sakura looks at her confused, how Chaeyeon's eyes light up, she sees the sincerity there. She thinks Chaeyeon is weird, how can you make bubbles from saliva, but not knowing why, started moving, and before she knew it, she was already talking.

 

 

"I wanna try it too."

 

 

Chaeyeon beams as she gives Sakura the soda can she was hiding. Sakura takes it and drinks, and Chaeyeon was right, she did feel bubbles come up and just like Chaeyeon she burps loudly. Chaeyeon laughs so hard, and this makes Sakura laugh too. Chaeyeon's mom shakes her head but smiles as she watches the two.

 

--

 

At age 8:

 

 

Chaeyeon and Sakura were at Chaeyeon's backyard laying down on the mat and looking at the stars. It was another typical sleepover at Chaeyeon's place, and the two decided they wanted to go camping.

 

 

After what seemed like hours of convincing, with the help of Chaeyeon's dad, her mom finally relents. But not before showering the two of them with mosquito repellent. They were busy playing and telling stories when Chaeyeon's mom comes out and tells them it was time to sleep.

 

 

Chaeyeon protests, wanting to stay up more but to no avail. She looks to her dad but feels betrayed since he too agrees with her mom.

 

 

The two have no choice but to get inside the tent and sleep. The two were laying side by side, Chaeyeon shifts around and opens the tent, bringing the light from the moon inside, she places her pillow by the entrance.

 

 

Sakura sits up watching Chaeyeon curiously. But Chaeyeon looks back at her with a smile, patting the space beside her. Sakura follows Chaeyeon, and the two are now laying down, looking up at the sky.

 

 

A few seconds of silence pass and Sakura thought Chaeyeon had fallen asleep; she feels her move beside her. She watches as Chaeyeon reaches up towards the sky.

 

 

"Hey Saku Chan, I'm kinda jealous of the stars."

 

 

"Why?"

 

 

"They get to stay up all night."

 

 

Sakura pauses and soon laughs heartily. She did not expect that to be the reason. Chaeyeon's way of thinking is really out of this world.

 

 

"Only you would Jjae."

 

 

Chaeyeon brings her arm down and pouts she looks at her offended. But seeing Sakura laugh so much, her expression softens and shrugs as she looks back up to the sky.

 

 

"I wanna be a star. Don't you think stars are beautiful?"

 

 

Sakura looks to her side and sees Chaeyeon staring up to the night sky. Sakura thinks Chaeyeon is weird, how can you be a star when you can't even fly, but not knowing why, started moving, and before she knows it, she was already talking.

 

 

"I think you're beautiful."

 

 

Chaeyeon appears surprised but does not take her gaze away from the sky. She sees two stars who are noticeably brighter than the others and wears a fond smile. She slowly turns her head and sees Sakura was also staring up at the sky, and seeing the moonlight reflecting on Sakura's face; she too thinks she's beautiful.

 

 

"Then Let's be beautiful stars together."

 

 

Sakura's smile becomes more evident, and she nods.

 

 

The next morning, Chaeyeon's dad comes out to wake them up. The scene before him puts a smile on his face. He sees Chaeyeon and Sakura fast asleep, hands intertwined.

 

--

 

At age 10:

 

 

It was the end of the class; students were all preparing to go home. Sakura was sitting beside Chaeyeon, resting her head on her palm, watching the girl, who was busy putting her things inside her bag.

 

 

"Why do you take out a lot of things? Isn't it tiring to put it all back again?" she notes when she saw the number of things on Chaeyeon's desk.

 

 

Chaeyeon shrugs as she puts the last notebook inside.

 

 

"You'll never know when you're gonna need these things, and it's better to have them out than waste time to look for it in your bag."

 

 

Sakura looks at the Pikachu doll currently on Chaeyeon’s hand "When will you need a Pikachu doll?"

 

 

Chaeyeon shrugs again, "Pikachu needs to listen to the lecture too, you know."

 

 

Sakura stares at Chaeyeon. Sakura thinks Chaeyeon is weird, why would a doll listen to the lecture, it's not even alive, but not knowing why, started moving, and before she knows it, she was already talking.

 

 

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

 

 

"Let's go?" says Chaeyeon as she zips her bag close and gestures to Sakura. Sakura nods, taking her bag and standing up to follow Chaeyeon out.

 

 

"Jjaeyeon ah, let's go eat Tteok-bokki."

 

 

"I would love to, but you know I have dance club today Saku chan."

 

 

Sakura's posture slackens at the information, "Ah right."

 

 

Chaeyeon notices her friend's sad disposition, so she moves in front of her, stopping her tracks. "It's not too late to join?" she says hopefully

 

 

Sakura shakes her head, "You know I'm not good at it."

 

 

Chaeyeon's eyebrows furrow, "Who says so? I think you're good, and you just need little practice is all."

 

 

Sakura smiles a little, but it doesn't reach her eyes. "No, it's okay Jjaeyeon ah" as she resumes walking. Chaeyeon catches up to her, grabbing Sakura by the arm.

 

 

"I'll come to your house after the club, I'll bring Tteok-bokki, and we can play games too."

 

 

Sakura's eyes widen, "Really? Will your mom be okay with it?"

 

 

Chaeyeon nods and smiles, "Yep, my mom loves you so I'll ask her to drop me later; I don't want my best friend to be sad."

 

 

Sakura's expression brightens, feeling better at the prospect of hanging out with Chaeyeon later, "Okay."

 

 

Chaeyeon smiles back and rummages through her bag, taking out the Pikachu doll.

 

 

"Here. Pikachu will keep you company in the meantime."

 

 

Sakura takes the doll and smiles.

 

 

"See? Told you you'd never know when you'll need it" Chaeyeon winks

 

 

All Sakura could do was laugh.

 

--

 

Age 15:

 

 

As Chaeyeon become busy with club activities, it was harder for the two to spend time together. Chaeyeon made a lot of friends at her club, the likes of Kim Chaewon, Kim Minju, Honda Hitomi, Ahn Yujin and two years older Kwon Eunbi always around Chaeyeon, Sakura felt out of place.

 

 

But both had tried to keep their time together, mostly with Sakura’s effort to fit in the circle. But inevitably it was hard when topics about dancing and competitions come up.

 

 

Sakura was not alone though, after befriending Kang Hyewon and Choi Yena, who are avid gamers, she naturally drifted away from Chaeyeon’s circle. And the two spent even lesser time together, no more sleepovers or surprise visits.

 

 

Chaeyeon was currently at the club; they were practicing for a school performance, which will be next week. She was busy practicing while her other teammates are currently resting. They’ve been practicing for almost four hours now, and Chaeyeon has not stopped. She was the best in the group, even their current club leader Kwon Eunbi thinks so. But she was too much of a perfectionist, which worries Eunbi greatly.

 

 

“Chaeyeon ah, you should rest it’s already perfect” she calls the younger who was monitoring their practice on the iPad.

 

 

Chaeyeon stops and looks at Eunbi, “Unnie, I don’t think it’s perfect yet.. you see this par--”

 

 

Eunbi shakes her head, “Even if it isn’t we still have tomorrow, look at Minju, I think she’s dead already, Chaewon is glaring at us behind our backs, Hitomi’s cheeks aren’t so puffy anymore, and Yujin is sitting, god forbid that puppy is sitting down there must be something wrong, we should go home, Chae”

 

 

Chaeyeon glances around and true to what Eunbi said; everyone is already exhausted. She knows she should, but she can’t help this sinking feeling, the feeling of not being perfect. She has been feeling like this a lot these days, and she doesn’t know why.

 

 

Eunbi watches as Chaeyeon was in contemplation. The girl had changed, before she was confident and practices don’t usually end this late. Now that she thinks about it, it was always Chaeyeon who wants to end practices earlier in the past; she wonders what had changed.

 

 

“Let’s continue tomorrow Chae, and if Sakura were here, she would be already complaining about waiting for too long.”

 

 

At the mention of her name, something seemed to have hit Chaeyeon, but as quickly as it came, it also disappears just the same. It did not go unnoticed by the hawk-eyed leader though.

 

 

“Sakura hasn’t been around anymore huh, I kinda miss her” she comments trying to gauge the younger’s reaction.

 

 

Chaeyeon’s expression changes, proving Eunbi’s theory right. She approaches Chaeyeon, placing a hand on her shoulder “Why don’t you talk to your best friend Chae, it seems you need it.”

 

 

 

Sakura was at home with Hyewon and Yena. She was currently watching the two play Injustice. She was resting after playing for quite a while. She moves to her bed to get more comfortable when her hand comes in contact with something. She grabs it and realizes it was the Pikachu doll. It seemed she never had the chance to give it back to Chaeyeon. She misses the girl so much. Don’t get her wrong, she enjoys Hyewon and Yena’s company, but Chaeyeon is different.

 

 

The way the girl would laugh her unique laugh, the way she smiles, her warm hands, bear hugs, golden locks, and just how her mind works so differently, Sakura misses them all.

 

 

Grasping the Pikachu doll, all her memories of Chaeyeon comes running back. And her feet start to move on instinct, she quickly stands up and makes her way out of her room as her two companion calls out to her. She ignores it as she lets her feet lead her, right foot then left foot, she knows her destination, not even bothering telling her mom who was busy to notice as she steps out and continues her trek.

 

 

But she didn’t get far when she saw the person she wanted to see. It seemed Chaeyeon had the same idea as she had when she saw her walking towards her with an almost bashful smile.

 

 

“Hey, Saku Chan,” she says, waving her hand awkwardly.

 

 

Sakura stares at her, not yet believing that Chaeyeon was here. She hasn’t seen the girl for weeks now and seeing her right now, here in front of her home, when she herself was about to go and do just that feels surreal. They stand there unmoving, studying each other’s faces. Chaeyeon’s smile fade clearly misunderstanding Sakura’s state of immobility, prompting the girl to run towards her, engulfing the girl in a hug.

 

 

“Oof. It’s nice to see you too” Chaeyeon says hugging Sakura back with the same force.

 

 

After what seems like minutes, Sakura pulls back, and the smile she’s wearing is so blinding that it makes Chaeyeon smile wide.

 

 

Chaeyeon notices the Pikachu doll that was on Sakura’s hand, with her eyebrow raised she looks to Sakura questioningly, “Did Pikachu keep you company while I was away?”

 

 

Sakura laughs as she shoves the Pikachu doll on Chaeyeon’s face. Both girls laugh.

 

 

“Well, I kinda want my best friend back so can you tell Pikachu to back off?”

 

 

Sakura thinks Chaeyeon is weird, how can she have her back when she never left in the first place, but not knowing why, started moving, and before she knows it, she started talking.

 

 

“I missed you.”

 

 

Chaeyeon’s expression softens, “I missed you too.”

 

--

 

Age 16:

 

After the two best friends reconciled, the now two groups merged into one. With the addition of Jang Wonyoung, Yabuki Nako, and Jo Yuri, their group grew, and now there are twelve of them, sitting in the cafeteria.

 

 

Sakura and Chaeyeon were currently in their own world, Sakura was telling her about this new game that came out in the ps4 and Chaeyeon, although not that into games was smiling as she listens attentively to her best friend.

 

 

Chaeyeon finds it cute that Sakura seems to go on and on whenever she talks about these games. She does like some of it, but if she's honest, she only plays it whenever Sakura does. She's her best friend so no matter what Sakura likes to do, she would like it too. That's the rule she made in her head.

 

 

As Sakura was in the middle of her rant about killing zombies, when a tall guy approaches the table. The group stopped what they were doing and stared at the charming guy with all smiles. They watch as this guy was obviously smiling at someone specifically. And Chaeyeon did not like it, not one bit.

 

 

"Hey Sakura, I'm Do Minjun"

 

 

Sakura does not say anything and just stared blankly at the guy. Who was utterly oblivious to everyone's stare.

 

 

"I'll get to the point, would you want to eat Tteok-bokki with me after school?"

 

 

Everyone in the table was surprised, they think this guy is brave. Eunbi watches as Sakura opens in shock, she watches as she struggles to say something. She looked to Chaeyeon and was not surprised, the girl was glaring holes at the guy's face. But what came out of Sakura's mouth shocks the whole table.

 

 

"What do you think, Jjaeyeon?"

 

 

Chaeyeon stops glaring at the guy and turns to look at Sakura beside her. She sees genuine curiosity there. She can see that Sakura will do whatever comes out of Chaeyeon's mouth. Chaeyeon feels overwhelmed by how much Sakura trusts her. But she didn't want to take advantage of that.

 

 

She somehow knew this would come. Sakura is gorgeous, with her big eyes, long nose, doll-like face, she was bound to be popular. It's not like Chaeyeon isn't popular too, she has her own admirers, she was dubbed as the best dancer in the school after all, but she always turns them down right away, Chaeyeon didn't need anyone's opinion on it because she did not like them.

 

 

But hearing Sakura ask for her advise, makes her think that Sakura may like the guy and was just asking Chaeyeon for permission. So she tells her what she thinks is the best answer, even if it puts a frown on Sakura's face, as well as the rest of the occupants of the table.

 

 

"You can do whatever you want Sakura, I'm not your mom."

 

 

Sakura stares at her in disbelief, eyes grew more prominent, mouth wide open. She waits a few seconds for Chaeyeon to take back what she said, but the girl already resumed eating. Sakura was annoyed, and she did not try to hide it.

 

 

"Fine." She says as she looks towards the guy who was clearly uncomfortable with what he witnessed. "I'll see you after school, Do Minjun ssi."

 

 

And with that, Sakura stands up abruptly and walks away from the table. Hyewon and Yena look at each other then to Sakura's retreating back. They were hesitant, but Eunbi nudges Yena on the side and signals to Hyewon to follow the girl.

 

 

As the two left, the rest of the table was quiet, Eunbi, in particular, was staring at Chaeyeon. Chaeyeon knows this, but she chooses to ignore it. She can hear Eunbi sigh loudly as she continues eating.

 

 

Chaeyeon was at the gym after class. She was in her dancing attire, sitting down on the floor, staring at nothing. There was no practice today, but she decided to come and dance despite it. She was trying to shake the anxious feeling she had since lunch.

 

 

She was completely drained, but the feeling does not go away. She kept thinking if Sakura really met with that guy. Why did she have to do that? She knows the answer to Sakura's earlier question yet she still decided to give the wrong one.

 

 

She puts her head on her hands as she rests it on her knees. She was focused on her own thoughts that she didn't notice someone approach her.

 

 

"Hi, Chaeyeon ah."

 

 

She looks up and sees Choi Hyunjin, one of her admirers. He has been one of the loyal ones, still not giving up despite Chaeyeon's constant rejections.

 

 

"Oh Hi Hyunjin ah," she says

 

 

"Are you okay?"

 

 

Chaeyeon was about to answer when the sounds of someone running towards them catch their attention. She watches as the person she had wanted to see come marching towards her in a look so determined.

 

 

"Jjaeyeon ah!"

 

 

Chaeyeon stands up as Sakura stops in front of her. Blatantly ignoring the other person in the room.

 

 

"Saku Chan?"

 

 

Sakura was staring at Chaeyeon as she tries to catch her breath. She has been looking for the girl and was told by Eunbi that she would be here. The two were focused on each other that they did not even notice that Hyunjin had left. Chaeyeon could not hide the feeling of relief that she felt when she saw Sakura run towards her. The anxious feeling she felt earlier disappeared as soon as Sakura was here.

 

 

"Did you know that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter