end.

when the world makes sense
Please log in to read the full chapter

Mina's shoulder is warm, Dahyun thinks. Or rather, feels, as they're sidled together in the back corner of the library. It's quiet here; heavier traffic in the form of ratlike footsteps and shuffled books usually occur up front. Sometimes, there are suspicious sounds whispered a few aisles over. But today, it's just Dahyun and Mina.

 

They've been dating for somewhere around a year, although there'd been no set start date. It'd just, happened. Mina had kissed her some months back, sure, but what they feel for one another filters inward and outward through a flurry of other ways: when Mina carries an extra book atop her own pile so Dahyun doesn't wilt over in a tumbled heap on the campus grounds, when Dahyun doesn't demand Mina's attention whenever Mina's personal gaming time sloshes into their dates. The fact that they've never raised their voices at each other when one makes a careless remark, and - the way they really see each other, through glassy, unclouded snow globes prizing something precious.

 

A cackle prances its way into the shell of Dahyun's ear, nibbling at its walls with delight. Somehow, the sound is simultaneously quiet and loud, and to anyone else, might sound a bit callous, but for Dahyun, it's something to commit to memory; catalogue until they fill up her own library. Mina is reading one of her dumb humor books again, and Dahyun realizes she's drifted into a sort of sleep-addled state, lingering in the space between their fingers playing with one another, capering to and fro like children. Mina's book is leveled against her knees and she clears before reciting, "What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an unwilling agnostic and a dyslexic?" a beat, "you get someone who stays up all night torturing themself mentally over the question of whether or not there's a dog.”

 

Dahyun's lips flit upwards at that, and her teeth begin to show as Mina loses herself in a flood of laughs. Dahyun playfully covers Mina's mouth with her hand, lest the stocky librarian just happens to be wandering nearby, her famous shh ready to pounce. (Dahyun will steal a kiss later.)

 

"That's funny," Dahyun comments, shifting her hand to rest on Mina's knee. She lightly caresses it and finds her smile growing again as she sees Mina biting her bottom lip in restraint.

 

"Yea," is all Mina says before she goes back into silent mode, her pupils frolicking through the text lines.

 

Dahyun feels something stir in he

Please log in to read the full chapter