Prelude

Where You Are I'll Stay

In the Kim Family there is one important thing to remember...

Maybe 2 or 3 things but the most important being this, the family heirloom is not for sale.

Its origin was unknown but mom, grandma, and even the journal of great great grandma tell the same story.

This futuristic looking phone device was important.

The tale was told that one day an odd girl befriended an outcast of sorts. Someone whose origins were unknown and whose general persona laid out mysteries no one could solve. An oddity that led to the belief of curses and isolation and resulted in a lonely soul who made a home outside the towns gates. But there was one curious girl who wasn’t so fond of rumors and rules so she wandered and wandered until she found a home that seemed warmly lived in. A vast contrast from the images words had left in her mind from mouths too loose. And an even more starker contrast from a town who personified their own words more closely than who they were trying to project them onto.

The girl who was too curious and too stubborn to leave mysterious unsolved decided to stay.

She stayed when she heard a door creak.

She stayed when she heard the owner of the small cabin walk in.

She stayed despite wanting to jump at her own anxieties.

Would she regret staying? Would she actually die? Was her gut intuition finally a mistake?

She heard the scuffle of footsteps moving closer until they abruptly stopped a few feet behind her. A silence settled before them as they both tried to gauge the strange situation they were in. A stranger in a house whose owner was outcasted from the same town the stranger lived in.

She could feel eyes boring into the back of her head. feel the questions rising and rising and she just couldn’t believe the utter boldness she had to walk into a strangers house. She berates her mannerless self for a moment and finally swivels herself around to be face to face with the owner.

But if only her one act of boldness was enough because she had forgotten to open her eyes. The safety of pitch blackness held her back, her hands clenched, brows furrowed with now a drop of sweat closely hanging from it.

She could feel the edges of insanity until she heard the sweet sound of a giggle in front of her. A sound so befitting of the home she entered. A laugh that matched so well to the saving warmth of the fire she sat near. The tension that was in her shoulders melted with ease and a fire of her boldness grew to take its peak.

With one eye cautiously opening, she saw her.

Someone she couldn’t believe people from her town called so many bad names. In an instant a frustration began bubbling within her small body that flamed with anger and injustice. She wanted to yell at them but she saw tenderness in the eyes looking at her. She wanted to run but she felt more welcomed in a strangers home than the town she’s grown up in. She wanted to break something but all that broke was the reality she’s been shoved to believe. She wanted to uncover truth and the truth she found was simultaneously breaking her.

The small girls mouth hung open, still baffled, suddenly her own hand swiftly closing her jaw shut and she bowed deeply, apologizing how she had intruded into a strangers home.

The small girl heard the wondrous laugh that she wished she could hear again and lifted her head. The woman in front of her who had eyes that sparkled too brightly and a smile that warmed her soul she couldn’t help but finally, finally burst into tears.

How could people be this cold? The tears wouldn’t - no they couldn’t stop because she had grown to know these horrendous stories yet here they are breaking her with every lie. Her cries filled the small place so densely and so fiercely. The woman who was outcasted so unfairly understood her cries, understood the heart she was bearing but didn’t want her to suffer her same pain. She hugged her just as fiercely as the small girl cried, hoping that she could communicate that the burden wasn’t hers to bare.

The embers had already cooled before the small girl had stopped crying. The sun was beginning to fade and the cold of late autumns wind drifted more closely to their skin.

“Young child.” The woman gently spoke, combing the small girls hair out of their face. “What is your name?”

The young girl sniffed, trying her best to see clearly despite her puffy and red post crying face.

“I’m Dahyun.”

---

 

“So that’s where the story begins.” Clapping her hands together like a slate ending a scene. "A brat kid goes to a house she wasn’t supposed to go to and ends up with this.” Dahyun lifts the device towards her laptop camera. “And now it’s been passed down to me because out of all the aunties, cousins, and sisters, I’M the one who inherited the name Dahyun?!” She paces around the room, a pair of eyes watching intently from a laptop screen. 

 

“I mean, what am I supposed to do with this? What’s my responsibility? Why is this-“ she credulously points to the device, “my responsibility now??” She flops onto her bed in defeat. 

 

“Mmmm…” Chaeyoung hums. 

 

The distressed girl shuffles to look at her laptop only to find her friend on her phone. She claps her hands in front of the camera, “Hey! Are you paying attention?” 

 

“Yes and no.” Chaeyoung responds bluntly. “ Yes I’m paying attention to your life long generational crisis and no because I’m trying to retake my enneagram because there’s no way I’m a 1.” 

 

Dahyun hums in agreement. She finally sits up, cross legged, in front of her laptop, “You’ve been hanging with Tzuyu a lot haven’t you?” She slaps her knee, laughing prematurely from her own joke, “you’re a 3 with a wing 1!” 

 

“Oh. Very funny.” Chaeyoung rolls her eyes. “But honestly, I don’t see why you’re freaking out about the whole family heirloom thing. Nothings happened the past 10 generation. What makes this time around any different?” 

 

“…” 

 

The silence was unsettling. 

 

Chaeyoung looks up from her phone onto her computer screen and sees her best friends face turning pale. She waves her hands over the camera, “Hey! Earth to dub! You’re gonna literally turn into a ghost.” 

 

“…” 

 

“Dub!” 

 

On the other side of the screen Dahyun looks at the family heirloom.

 

The heirloom was lit and Dahyuns vision was fading. But the thing she thought was a hunk of junk was glowing and it functioned like any normal technology. She was definitely about to faint but the words rang loudly before her head hit the edge of her bed frame. 

 

“I’m here.” 

 

--- 

a/n ahh so yes. I've uploaded with a missing part ahhhhh. well what's done is done. lets go!