The Gloomy Forecast

A Gloomy Forecast of Jealousy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Key: Chloe & Vincent

Everything about him, from his blonde curls to patchy facial hair; rough hands to tall statue; and tired laugh to body heat, appealed to Chloe. He towered over her, but she enjoyed looking up to trace over every minute detail of his face with her eyes.   Despite her pride, Chloe found herself still surprised by the thought of Vincent liking her. He was someone she had never expected to get with, despite obsessing over each of their exchanges in private, and every interaction they now made as a couple thrilled her. Her hand seemed to fit perfectly in his, and the feeling of his skin lightly brushing over hers spread both nervousness and gratitude through her. However, her surprise and happiness came with a harsh price--insecurity.   Having never been one to suffer from a lack of confidence, she struggled to manage her increasing fears of being dismissed and replaced, and as an unfortunate side affect, her pride soon inextricably transformed into jealousy. Within a few weeks, the loving gaze that had once rested on him shifted to one of judgment at the girls around them, and rather than making confident entrances, as she had once used to, her immediate priority upon going anywhere was to swiftly glue herself by his side.   Aside from the dismal weather outside--it was raining and thundering loudly--Chloe entered the Great Hall for dinner in the same way as any other day, only to freeze at the sight of another girl talking and standing .. too close to her boyfriend. As her despairing emotions slowly began to get the best of her, she watched as they laughed and glanced at each other, seeming too happy and looking too comfortable. She slowly slid her tongue over her lower lip, which had slightly dropped from her dismay, and bit the inside of her cheek.   "Hi," she said, interrupting their conversation as she moved over to slide and place her hand over Vincent's arm. Her gaze livid, Chloe unflinchingly stared at the other girl while an unhappy smile appeared on her face. "It's such a pleasure to meet you, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to steal my boyfriend from you for dinner. Goodbye!" She waved goodbye and watched the other girl leave, only to immediately release her boyfriend and back away from him in anger when she lost sight of the other girl in the crowd.   "What was that?!" she exclaimed furiously, staring up at him with a demanding look in her eyes. "You might as well date her instead at this point!"

Vincent couldn't remember the last time he had smiled or even laughed for that matter. He was in the Great Hall enjoying some time with a fellow classmate of his, talking about what jinxes they would use on dreadful old Umbridge. It felt odd being so relaxed. It had been several months since he had the pleasure of smiling so much. As much as he hated thinking this way of her, Chloe had been the reason behind his misery.

In the beginning of their relationship, he was head over heels for his girlfriend. From sneaking kisses to enjoying peaceful afternoons by the Great Lake, he was very much wrapped around her finger. But as the weeks progressed, something changed within in her. Vincent tried his best to figure out what had changed but Chloe being Chloe, she wouldn't say a word.

The loving girl he had fallen for changed to a possessive person he couldn't recognize. He quickly learned that his attention must only be on her and her only. Any time he had available was for her. Everything suddenly revolved around her and it became suffocating for him. He'd been to avoid her if he wanted to talk with his mates. It led to some pretty nasty fights but to him it was worth the small amount of time he had away from her.

His thoughts were suddenly interrupted by her voice. He turned and witnessed the very familiar look of anger Chloe had whenever she caught him talking to someone else. This time would be far worse considering he was interacting with another girl, a huge no-no in Chloe's book of rules for him. He mouthed a quick sorry to his mate, who looked slightly horrified by Chloe's intimidating aura.

He could feel his body already tensing up, usual reaction when he's around her. "I can't believe you had the audacity to do that." His words came out, seething through his clenched jaw. "After that, I don't think I owe you any bloody explanation. You've made a fool out of me and yourself." His frustrated gaze met hers. As much as he wanted to yell and let out his anger, he knew he had to control himself. The last thing he wanted was to cause a scene. It wouldn't bode well for either of them. Even after all the things she had put him through, he still cared for her.

At his response, her eyes narrowed and she nearly sneered. "I've made a fool out of you and me?" she asked, rephrasing his question while mocking his words derisively. A scoff of disbelief escaped her lips as she folded her arms over her chest, looking at him pointedly. "I have every right to know, and honestly, I don't even think I want to hear anything else that you have to say. Not even your 'bloody explanation.'" Again, she sarcastically mimicked his tone.

Seeing Vincent with another girl terrified her. Her first reaction would be to observe the girl, which often resulted in worsening her insecurities about her appearance, and her second reaction would be to observe his interactions with the other girl. Usually, she would then become stricken by fear and sickened by jealousy after concluding that he was finding happiness from others. It was frightening how easily his actions could make or break her day, and she was failing to realise her degree of obsession over him.

"It's unfair that I have to go through all of this emotional trouble because of you," she added, her eyes flitting up to rest on him briefly. In that short moment, her expression betrayed her fear, panic, and hurt, but she concealed her emotions quickly, hardening her gaze. She made movements to leave, and her long, brown hair shifted over her shoulder to cascade down her back. Her slender fingers re-positioned her book bag over her shoulder, and she stoically walked past him, harshly bumping into him while doing so.

The moment her face was hidden from his view, her collected composu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter