What is a Patronus?

All Things Magical: Twice One-shots

Originally posted on chaengsdragon.tumblr.com. It is a little fun writing exercise I did based off of this post

Please note I wasn’t particularly attentive on the members’ Patronuses, rather I focused more on how they achieve the charm than what they produce. Feel free to send in headcanons! 

Disclaimer: I do not own any parts of the Pottermore Universe, including but not limited to: settings, characters, the mechanics of magic, etc. All of this belongs to the author of Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling, and Warner Bros. respectively. Idol characters are purely fictional and have no affiliation with the actual person and/or group.


 

When the girls first produce the Patronus Charm successfully, they are in awe. The charm is difficult to conjure already, but they soon discover that the hardest part is finding the perfect, happy memory. It must be a memory that makes them intoxicated with ecstasy, drunk on euphoria, and so delirious with bliss, that for a single moment, they can think of nothing more but pure happiness. 

 

What is a Patronus anyway? 

 

A Patronus, Nayeon expects, is singing loudly at the top of her lungs as the wind carries her voice. It is when she is with her friends and their arms are wrapped tightly around her, promising to never let go. It is when her younger friends come to her for help and ask for a comforting hug. It is the sparkle in Jeongyeon’s eyes when the Gryffindor girl tells a joke because even if it is not funny, she will laugh just to see that cheeky grin. Nayeon giggles when she sees a rabbit hopping about.

 

A Patronus, Jeongyeon realizes, is the loud cheers she hears in the Quidditch stands as her Housemates chant the Gryffindor name after she makes a save once again. It is raising the Quidditch Cup trophy over her head and her teammates chugging down butterbeer in celebration. It is when the small Ravenclaw kid clings to her robes with a look full of awe and tells her, she always wanted an older sister. It is when Nayeon comes over to bother her, knowing she is the older girl’s first choice and always will be. Jeongyeon gasps as a Komodo dragon flicks out its tongue.

 

A Patronus, Momo assumes, is the small things: the friendly nod in the hallway from a classmate, the gentle pat on the back after a job well-done, the grudging approval in the professor’s eyes when she (finally) learns from her mistakes. It is when she turns on the radio to full volume and dances in her dorm room when no other student is around. It is during the holiday banquet when delicious food is served and best of all, she is able to share it with the people she cherishes the most. It is when she knows that she is valued and loved. Momo fervently claps her hands together as a raccoon scurries around.

 

A Patronus, Sana believes, is cuddling by the fire on a cozy, winter day with a hot cup of tea in hand. It is when her friends let her kiss them willingly and they stick out their cheeks, waiting for her lips to touch. It is when that lost girl with skin as white as snow accepts her hand and they start a friendship she comes to treasure deeply. It is when Tzuyu looks her straight in the eye with so much trust, so much vulnerability, that her heart swells because she understands it is only for her. Sana squeals as a dog wags its tail happily.

 

A Patronus, Jihyo knows, is watching the sunset, and as the golden hour commences, a final glow is painted on the horizon. It is when she receives a parcel containing a prefect badge and a letter from the headmaster, her family congratulating her, and her sisters shouting out that they want to be just like her someday. It is when she watches her friends and classmates proudly show off their hard work, and she is overcome by an affection like that of a mother. Tears trail down Jihyo’s cheeks as an owl perches itself on her shoulder. 

 

A Patronus, Mina thinks, is acing her exams and all of those late nights in the common room are worth it. It is when she sits underneath the stars and she gazes up at the endless possibilities, taking the time to breathe. It is simple moments like when she has her beloved bottle of ketchup at hand. It is when she catches sight of that deep dimple as Chaeyoung grabs her hand playfully and they both laugh. Mina beams in delight as a swan swims gracefully in the air.

 

A Patronus, Dahyun guesses, is being able to sleep in late, tucked underneath the weighted covers and not having to worry about the day ahead. It is when she shares breakfast with Sana and they read the newspaper together, exchanging talk and quips as if they had done this their whole life. It is when Momo surprises her with snacks from the kitchen, remembering that the chocolate-flavored ones are her favorite and shoves an armful towards her. It is when Chaeyoung and Tzuyu are by her side, and she knows that the three of them can endure anything together. Dahyun’s heart flutters as an eagle spreads its wings magnificently.

 

A Patronus, Chaeyoung imagines, is soaring above the land on her trusty broomstick as adrenaline pumps through her veins. It is the freedom of both the body and the mind, and letting herself just live life the way she wants. It is when she and Dahyun successfully pull off a prank and even better, do not get caught for doing so. It is when she is met with that gummy smile and hears that she will always have a place to belong. Chaeyoung roars alongside a tiger, proudly.

 

A Patronus, Tzuyu determines, is the silence right before the morning birds chirp and the dead hours of the night slowly come to life. It is when she listens to her friends plan out elaborate tricks that she knows will get them all in trouble, but doesn’t stop them because they have so much fun pulling them off anyway. It is when she takes her first trip to Hogsmeade; the older girls drag her around everywhere, and even though she complains, she is smiling because they all had been counting down the days until she could join. It is when she sees Gucci yip with joy for he is not only her precious dog, but also a piece of a home she misses so dearly. Tzuyu sighs as a fox prances in silver. 

 

A Patronus, the girls learn, is unique to their own definition of happiness and extends beyond just a single memory. It is an embodiment of who they were, who they will be, and most importantly, who they are right now. Happiness is fleeting, they know, but in that moment, it lives forever.