Four and Three

Evanescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It didn't take very long for the other three witches to arrive - they may have not been friends of Minji's, but they were scared, and the home of their coven leader might provide the best chance of safety for all of them. Sua, a short and beautiful young woman with a bold nose and discerning eyes, was the first to greet Minji. They had known one another iously, though their parting hadn't been on the best of terms, and Minji halfway expected a blunt or rude remark from the shorter woman. To her shock, Sua dropped her bag on the doorstep and pulled Minji into a tight hug there in the doorway of the home. "I'm glad to see you," she said softly.

Minji nodded in silence, hugging the other woman back even as her eyes swept over the two remaining coven members. Both were tall, one with a soft, round face and down-turned eyes, the other with sharp features that reminded Minji of a cat. "Come inside," Minji said, releasing Sua and beckoning them all into the house.

It didn't take long to get them settled - there were four bedrooms in this large house, and though one was the craft room now and one was occupied by Minji, there was one more for use - the final was her mother's bedroom and she was not comfortable with anyone using that. "One of us should stay with you," Yoohyeon said as she lay her bag on the bed of the guest bedroom, and after a moment of consideration Minji nodded. 

"I will," Sua said immediately, and followed Minji to the other guest bedroom. Minji's belongings were there, and she had changed her clothing in that room, but the bed still had not been slept on. Sua took note of that with a raised brow, then lay her bag on the floor beside Minji's and turned to give the taller woman a forced smile. "We're going to be okay," she said softly.

Minji wasn't sure if she could agree with that, her heart heavy with the implications of only three witches being left from the coven, young and not the most powerful at that. They were being hunted and she was intelligent enough to know that she should be afraid. She didn't say any of that to Sua, though, instead nodded and forced her own smile in response. "Take a few minutes to get settled. Then let's gather downstairs and compare what we know."

It didn't take long for the four witches to compare notes - they were all leaning in the same direction, that vampires were the culprits, though Dami had been surprised and drawn quiet at the news of the missing livers. Minji had called the morgue this morning, as she had intended, and the mortician had confirmed what Hakyeon said. Both Sua and Dami were quiet at this news, revealing to Minji that they had not previously known that, but Yoohyeon leaned forward in what seemed to be interest. "So then what could it be?" she asked, her eyes wide in fear.

Something about her actions and words bothered Minji, but she pushed that aside and answered. "I don't know. I'm not sure that it's not this Hakyeon being - he said I should know what he is, and I believe that he is a warg, but unfortunately the grimoire doesn't say much about them. I don't know if his kind is susceptible to salt, or if they like livers, or what. Or hell, if they even kill witches!"

"Everything hates witches," Dami said in her low voice, eyes on the table. "We're not exactly kind to magical creatures."

Both Sua and Yoohyeon gave her exasperated looks that said that this was an old conversation, but Minji found herself nodding in agreement. "Yeah, unfortunately that's true," she said, ignoring the swiveled looks of the other two women. "But still, everything points to vampire. And I am not sure that Hakyeon isn't a vampire, actually - it isn't like I have ever met a warg and he feels almost like a er." This set off another round of questions that resolved with Yoohyeon taking the grimoire to pour over it in search of answers, Sua leaning over her shoulder. Dami took to messing with a guady silver cross thing that Mikyung had kept in the living room, a far-away and thoughtful look in her eyes, and Minji was left to sink into her own thoughts.

Night finally came and with it, a knock on the door. Yoohyeon jumped, and Sua moved her fingers as if beginning a spell, but Minji had been expecting this. "Stay here," she told the others, not wanting to frighten her guest. She moved to the door, passing Dami sitting on the floor in the living room, now scribbling in a notebook with a determined expression on her face. The cat hovered near her, and she absently scratched it with her off hand. 

Hakyeon turned to face the door as she opened it, taking several steps back so that he wouldn't appear as a threat. Minji took note of that action and nodded slightly, then crossed her arms over her chest and raised a brow at him. "You have company," he said, eyes darting behind her. "I hope it's enough to protect you."

"Are you threatening us?" Sua asked, startling Minji with her quiet approach. She turned to see the shorter woman staring intently at Hakyeon, and recognized that she was using a spell to look at his energy. "What do you want?" she added.

Hakyeon shook his head, no hint of a smile anywhere on his tanned face tonight. "I want to show you something. You need to see it, you need to understand what is going on here," he added, looking at Minji intently. She wasn't sure why he was singling her out, but as Sua continued to pester him with questions, pushing magic at him fruitlessly to try and get him to be more pliable, she had the sudden realization come to her.

Her years of being a lone witch had made her more powerful than those in the coven, had made her more willing to question what she thought she knew. "Sua," she said quietly, laying a hand on the shorter witch's shoulder. Sua quieted and looked up at Minji, who simply nodded at Hakyeon. "Le me get my jacket. And I'm not coming alone," she added, cutting off Sua's protest when she looked at her. 

The shorter witch nodded in reluctant agreement at that, and moved to fetch her own jacket. Minji closed the door on Hakyeon and hurried to the kitchen to find Yoohyeon still digging through the grimoire. "Sua and I are going out," and when the other looked out the window as if to say it was dark, continued, "We will be careful. The warg wants to 'show us something'. You and Dami set up extra wards while we're gone just to be safe, and use my familiar to make them stronger. We'l be back soon," she added, grabbing her jacket from the chairback.

She told Dami the same things, though Dami didn't try to argue or offer concerns. As Minji went to leave, though, Dami said, "I'm going to die."

The words left a chill on Minji's spine, but when she questioned why the other girl said that, Dami said nothing and went back to her writing. Minji finally decided she didn't have time to sit and try to pry answers out of her right then, and decided to get them when she returned. She met Sua at the door, and, taking a deep breath, opened it and stepped out into the night air to come face to face with Hakyeon.

Or at least face to chest - geez he was tall. He respectfully stepped back, putting several feet between them, then lead the way down the steps without waiting to be told. There was a slight chill to the autumn air that made Minji stuff her hands inside her jacket pockets, her fingers going through the motions of a battle spell in case it was needed. She was pretty sure she saw Sua do the same thing, even as the other woman's hands were stuffed into her own pockets to shield against the chill. It was interesting that Hakyeon didn't seem concerned about the spells they readied, despite that Minji was sure he could feel the change of the energy of the two witches behind him - his shoulders had tensed when they had prepared their spells.

He led them about an hour's walk away, leaving Minji inwardly grumbling about the fact that they should have brought a car, but finally he stopped at an unkempt cemetery. "This is where you want us to go?" Sua asked incredulously, and Minji had to agree. This was definitely something that a vampire would do - cemeteries were their haunts. Hakyeon shrugged in response.

"It's where they've been disposed," he simply said, pushing his way through the rusted gate and setting off up the slight hill toward the center of the graveyard. The two witches shared a long look, then Sua shrugged as well and followed him. Minji brought up the rear, hoping that the two witches would be up for whatever lay waiting for them and wondering if she should have brought the other two as well. Hakyeon stopped in the dead center of the gravestones, looking down at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter