Endings and Beginnings

Evanescent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When the policeman, the same as the previous day, came to tell her that the lower half of the house was ready for her, she was relieved to be pulled from her tumultuous thoughts. She began to fix the house once again, her thoughts filled with images of Dami's body and the girl's haunting final words. How had she known she was going to die? Had she had a premonition, or was she just guessing because they were all afraid? Or was it something else?

Minji's eyes landed on the notebook where Dami had been writing, and realized that the pages she had written were gone. Why would the attacker take the notebook pages? Or had Dami taken them out? Minji couldn't shake the thought that it mattered, and with that she carried the notebook to her mother's craft room to sit at the writing desk there. Selecting a thin pencil, she set to shading in the notebook's page with the aoft lead, slowly revealing what the other witch had been writing.

It was facts about the case, she realized - Dami had been researching it in her own way. She had the same realizations as Minji, that it wasn't likely to be a vampire bcause of the facts that ers had to be invited in, and Mikyung wouldn't have invited one inside her home. No matter what. Dami had also made a note about the livers, then continued on to mention how a vampire would have drained the corpses of blood. She was right, there, and Minji's brow creased in thought even as she continued to reveal the writing in the lead. Dami had been writing a list of facts, from how the victims were killed to what magic Mikyung had used in the battle. What she saw next made her blood run cold.

It's someone we know. 

It was just those four words, but everything in Minji's mind clicked into place in that moment. "Oh my god," she breathed, and looked up at the door in fright. It made sense - the witches all went missing without signs of conflict, and their bodies turned up later. Like they had been lured away. The first battleground had been Mikyung, and she had allowed the someone into her home. She had been prepared for something, because she had a shielding ready to place. And then... 

Hakyeon had tried to get into the house to protect Dami and Yoohyeon, but he couldn't get through the wards until Minji dropped them. The wards had still been up. If it had happened as Yoohyeon had said, the wards would have been demolished - nothing, not even something as strong as Hakyeon, could get through the wards when they were activated. And Dami wouldn't have been dumb enough to let something in, would she?

Minji found herself standing to her feet, fear making her hands tremble as she placed the pencil down beside the notebook. No, Dami wouldn't have done that. That meant that the attack had come from inside the house, and that left only -

"Yoohyeon."

The tall woman's sharp features made sense in her mind then, too - they weren't cat like, they were fox like. With surety guiding her steps, Minji moved down the hallway to the room the two girls were sharing. She readied a spell before she pushed open the door, her eyes adjusting quickly to the darkness within. A form lay on the bed, appearing to be sleeping, but even as Minji hit the lightswitch she knew what she would find.

Blood soaked the sheets beneath Sua's body, the gaping hole in her chest still bleeding freely and her fingers still twitching. Yoohyeon was nowhere to be seen, but of course Minji didn't let her guard down - if anything that only made her more jumpy. She crept into the room, guilt making her stomach boil as she thought of how Sua had been so kind to to Yoohyeon. It was that last bit that made her angry and bolstered her, though, and she stopped creeping and pulled herself to her full height. "Where are you," she said bluntly. "Just come out and let's get this done with."

Her mind was spinning through a list of spells, though she did her best to not let that show outwardly. There was no answer, and she moved to the doorway of the conjoined bathroom to check inside. No one there, either. Taking a deep breath, she cast her senses over the room - there was no one there except for her and Sua's body. Minji resolutely did not dwell on that last bit, instead exited the room and headed directly for her own room, intent on fetching at least her athame and some potions.

She didn't expect Yoohyeon to be sitting on her bed, looking through her velvet case of magics with a pensive expression on her face. Minji's face darkened as she took in the bloody jaw and fingers of the ceature before her, knowing that this was Sua's blood that she wore so proudly. "How could you," she growled, "They were your friends."

"Not really," Yoohyeon said lightly, selecting a potion meant for allowing clarity of mind and lifting it before her to study. "I actually only came here about three months ago. I was positively surprised at how long it took anyone to suspect me, and even then your dear old mom didn't even think to let anyone else know about it. Though," she added with a sly glance at Minji, "She apparently did send a letter detailing all her suspicions to you. Did you just not want to believe her, or...?"

The damned burnt letter. Minji's guilt deepened as she realized that had she read the thing when it had arrived, she may have been able to prevent all these deaths since. "You're a ing kitsune," she growled, "How did you pass as a witch?" Her fingers worked behind her to create a spell, hoping to keep the woman talking and distracted.

"Well actually," Yoohyeon said, dropping the bottle back into the velvet box without care and standing abruptly, "I am a kumiho. At least get that right. And you witches are so easy to fool, just show up with the sob story of 'oh I'm an untrained witch, will this dying coven please train me, can't you feel my magical talent' and viola. Always so full of yourselves."

Minji's spell unleashed then, catching the kumiho smack in the chest with a blast of energy, sending her stumbling back several paces. Minji was already working on a second spell even as that one released. To her surprise, though, Yoohyeon recovered quickly, her fingers lengthening into claws and her smile showing fangs as she straightened. "And without your familiar, you're powerful enough that this will at least be a fun kill."

Yoohyeon launched herself across the room, inhumanely fast and with claws leading - Minji stepped back and yanked the door shut, releasing her sealing spell just barely in the nick of time. She heard the impact when the kumiho hit the door, but she didn't wait around to see what happened. She turned and ran, down the hall and to the stairs, taking them three at a time i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter