of midnight.

of midnight.

the ending stage of the new year celebrations invited all the artists who had performed that night out onto the stage to sing a final song for fans. the wjsn members, in their politeness, and more so confusion as the artists poured onto the set, had somehow found themselves gathered behind everyone, singing along with the rest of the artists as the celebrations came to a close. they peeked between bodies to see if they could spot their fans, recognisable in the sea of banners and lightsticks by the twinkling ujujung bombs which bobbed to the beat of the music and shook wildly whenever a wuju was spotted waving amid the other artists.

 

juyeon was a little disoriented; it was freezing, and the music permeating from the speakers blocked any voices she could hear. every one of her senses were compromised by the distraction of the loud music, flashing lights, confetti, and cold wind swirling around them. but she continued to smile and wave above the heads of the people in front of her (her height gave her that advantage at least).

 

suddenly, she felt a smaller hand tug on hers and out of instinct, she turned her head, bending her neck only slightly to listen to whichever member was trying to say something to her, when in a brash moment, her lips collided with another pair; slightly cold, but smooth and glossy. a euphoric feeling instantly spread throughout her body as every noise dulled to a slight ring in her ears, her head spinning just a little as she froze on the spot. it took juyeon just a moment to snap out of it and after a split second she pulled her head back in shock to see her older member jiyeon blinking up at her, with a hand over .

 

her immediate reaction was to laugh. how preposterous was it that her only new year's kiss was an accidental bit from her older member at a public event in front of not only their fans but many other groups and their fans. “i’m sorry about that, eonni,” she joked, pulling jiyeon closer to be able to hear her better. “what did you want to say?”

 

-

 

in the car ride home, juyeon sat silently in thought, watching the lights pass by the window as she pulled her lower lip between her thumb and forefinger. it was still slightly glossy, but she couldn’t tell if it was her own makeup or if it had been transferred by a certain pair of foreign lips. she couldn’t explain to herself why her thoughts dwelled on that split moment. she did fanservice all the time, and it never felt like that before. she figured it was because she hadn’t expected it, and moved her mind to something else.

 

beside her, dayoung was nodding off to sleep with her blanket slipping from her lap, and juyeon reached across to pull it back up to keep her warm, when she happened to look up and lock eyes with jiyeon who sat a couple seats in front of her, mid-conversation with sojung. a cold feeling overcame juyeon as she felt that she shouldn’t have caught jiyeon staring. she sank back into her seat and looked back out the window, the tips of her ears turning pink as her thoughts swirled around her head, from glossy lips to small hands to pretty older members whom she hadn’t seen inthat light before but now couldn’t help thinking that it wouldn’t be so bad to kiss those lips again… right?

 

-

 

lying awake in bed, restlessly kicking off her blanket and letting the cool air embrace her skin, juyeon looked across at hyunjung sleeping peacefully under her duvet. she sighed, sitting up before walking to the kitchen. she neglected to notice the hallway light was already on when she entered the kitchen, heading straight to the sink.

 

“hey.”

 

juyeon jumped out of her skin and clutched her chest as she spun to find the source of the voice. of course she knew it was jiyeon just by the tone of her greeting, but when her eyes lay on the older girl, clutching a cup of tea and wearing simply a black t-shirt and god-knows-what underneath, she became tense and acutely aware of her actions.

 

“you scared me,” she murmured, turning back to the sink and running the water to grab herself a glass.

 

jiyeon chuckled over the rim of her cup. “it was kinda funny,” she replied back in a low voice. juyeon turned off the water and merely pursed her lips in response.

 

“yeah… almost as funny as when we accidentally kissed earlier,” juyeon barely whispered, her eyes flickering upwards to see how the other would react.

 

jiyeon smirked slightly, one corner of turning upwards the way it always did when she members. “and you liked that, huh?” she crept forward, sliding her cup onto the counter and pressing her hands either side of juyeon as she trapped the younger in the corner of the kitchen. juyeon’s knee knocked against hers and tensed immediately upon the impact as if she were embarrassed.

 

“i don’t… know…” what was wrong with her? she was never this sheepish around her members. her ears burned as she felt the elder’s breath against her cheek.

 

“no?” jiyeon whispered, leaning closer until their torsos were millimetres apart. “then why are your cheeks so red?”

 

juyeon huffed and lifted her hands to cover her cheeks before she felt the other’s fingers wrap around her wrists, preventing her.

 

“don’t. i like it,” jiyeon said. her thumbs brushed against the younger’s burning cheeks as her face drew impossibly close. juyeon drew another deep breath because she figured she’d need it. jiyeon’s lips pressed against hers, less abruptly this time, and not as glossy, but still soft and warm. the same feeling from the earlier event swept through juyeon’s body as she melted into the kiss, her fingers twisting into the hem of her own shirt. longer, deeper and closer, juyeon preferred this kiss, under the dim light of their kitchen, not so cold that she couldn’t feel the way jiyeon pulled her closer, and not so loud that she couldn’t hear jiyeon’s breaths getting trapped in the gaps between their lips. only the sound of footsteps coming down the hallway could cause them to disconnect, and only as they pulled away from each other did juyeon feel the cold air sweeping in again.

 

hyunjung stuck her head through the door, hair dishevelled and eyes squinting at the light in the kitchen. “hey, i heard you get up, are you okay?” she asked.

 

juyeon looked at hyunjung, then at jiyeon, then back at hyunjung, smiling. “yeah, i’m good.”