Chapter 3

Scholar who walks the night

Areum uses her morning to disguise her self as a noble woman, she covered her head but her face still visible. Then she headed towards the city with couple guards for protection.  Staying at the castle was very boring and she also wants to forget about Hak Yong's incident. She decided to keep it to herself and act like nothing happened.

      The dark haired beauty was now looking at some jewelry that were put on display outside of a little shop when she heard yelling, she turned around to see the source and a bookseller bumped into her, she almost fell down but one of the guards steadied her.

      "Oh! I'm so sorry miss I was just-" the bookseller was cut off by her. "I'm fine, but why were you running?" The princess asked. "Royal officers are rounding up everyone that sales or buys books." The man said quickly before running again.

     Yang-sun encounters this firsthand as she’s out distributing books to children, and at the sound of approaching officers, she tells the children to scatter. She didn't find a place to hide, officers were quick and caught her. While the poor girl was dragged away a voice interrupted them, "Let the poor boy go." Areum demanded with authority. The Chief officer knew her and quickly bowed down to her, "Yes, your highness." He said.

      "Don't make it obvious and don't tell anyone about seeing me here, do you understand?" The princess said. The Officer only nodded and walked away leaving Yang Sun with the princess. "Thank you so much your highness!" Yang Sun yelled bowing to the girl in front of her, "Shhh, don't say it out loud, people may hear you!" The princess whispered.

       Yang Sun put her hand on and nodded, "You're welcome, but be careful, next time I won't be there to save you." The princess said before walking away from Yang Sun.

 

       Back at the castle, the princess asked the guards about the booksellers, "So what's the deal with those poor villagers? They were only trying to live, selling books is the only source of money they have." Areum told the Chief officer. "I can't tell you your Highness." He said looking down. "I guess you forgot what I'm capable of. If you don't tell me I will strip you of your position." Areum warned. 

       "Fine, I-I'll take you there your highness..." The Chief Officer mumbled before taking her to the tribunal. It was already night. The two arrived at the place where all booksellers were held captive. The princess was confused to see no guards, but she became more confused to see Gwi sitting arrogantly infront of the booksellers.

       She retreated and hid behind a wall, wanting to know what he was going to do. The Chief guard was no where to be seen. 
       
     The sellers are mostly confused, not scared, even when Gwi steps out to confront the crowd, scanning their faces for one to spark recognition. None does. He approached one of them. "What?" The man said courageously, "Is this bag yours?" Gwi asked holding up Yang Sun's bag. "No" the man simply answered. Gwi leant close to the bookseller taking in his sent but since it wasn't him he rose. 

       "The person who has this sweet scent, who will it be?", Gwi asked, The booksellers looked blankly at Gwi when he asked if any of them are the owners of the bag in his hand. It’s Yang-sun’s bag, that has been retrieved from the forest chase, and nobody recognized it. "The owner of this bag? Is he here Gwi's patience wore off, then grabs a bookseller at random and bites down on his neck, sending the crowd on frenzy.

        A gasp escaped the princess's lips, she put her hands on to muffle her upcoming sobs. Gwi smelt a scent even sweeter and knew who it belonged to, he looked at Areum but she quickly hid herself praying he didn't see her, but unfortunately he did and was just infront of her. "Shhh... You don't have to be afraid." Gwi said hoping to comfort the young lady but it didn't do. "S-Stay away f-from m-me..." She stuttered with a trembling voice. She was evidently scared of him,  trembling and tears stained her face.

      He started to feel guilty for showing her the beastly side of him, "I would never hurt you..." Gwi said approaching her but she quickly took a step back, that pained him but he desguised it with a serious face. "You killed that man.... A-and God knows what you'll do to the others.... How can I trust you when I just saw you killing an innocent b-bookseller..." The princess said. Gwi knew she was right, he was an evil monster, killed for fun, and for the first time he felt guilty about it.

       "Just let me explain first.." Gwi said but 
Areum spoke again, "You don't have to! I've seen everything! I just wa...nt to..." The princess started feeling dizzy and gripped her head. She started swaying untill she fell but Gwi quickly caught her before she touched the ground. Black dots started blurring her vision untill she lost consciousness.

      Gwi picked her up and ran towards her quarters, he layed her gently on her bed. He took it as a chance to admire the princess and take in every detail of her to keep in his mind, he wished to see her smile and laugh even for once.

      He took her hand in his, and talked forlornly to her, "I didn't mean to scare you, or even show you the dark side of me that way... Will you accept who... Or should I say what I am?" Gwi asked her but she only stays  asleep. "Please say yes... I love when the others  are scared of me or hate me, but I wouldn't stand it If you hate me..." Gwi said looking at her. "Can an angel like you accept a devil like me?" Gwi added with a sad voice.

      After few minutes, Gwi could hear soft whispers coming out of Areum's mouth, she was talking in her sleep. "Father... Don't go... Please stay..." She whispered and Gwi knew exactly who her father was, he killed him 10 years ago because he knew of the secret plan to kill him. He sighed feeling a wave of guilt hit him. She quickly woke up from her dream or nightmare and breathed heavily. Gwi sat back next to her and hugged her.
      
       "Shhhhh... I'm here... You're fine..." He soothed her but she knew his voice and started struggling, he was much stronger than her and gave up. In an instant the princess started sobbing. He hugged her tighter and started saying sweet things to calm her down. It hurt him to see her in pain, he always saw her crying. 'What are you thinking, snap out of it Gwi, you can't make the same mistake again.' he thought.

       "Princess look at me..." He demanded but she refused keeping her head up, he sighed and left her head up so that his eyes meet his. "Forget everything you saw tonight..." Gwi compelled Areum. She only nodded. "Now go to sleep, you look tired." He said laying her back on her bed 

 

       Next day, Yoon passes Hye-ryung in the street, and picks up a handkerchief that she drops. Something about the way Hye-ryung looks at him makes the encounter seem premeditated, but they each continue on their way.

     Yoon went to see the prime minister and found the courtyard covered in blood from last night’s interrogation, and asked why he hasn't been made aware of the proceedings.

      The prime minister asserted his authority to search for Eumlan Seosaeng without interference, so Yoon gave him a thinly veiled warning to make sure there was no evidence left behind, just in case a nasty rumor spread about a vampire eating all the booksellers in town.

        Hye Ryung was standing in front of Gwi in the underground castle, "She knows that I'm a vampire." Gwi said sitting on his stone throne. Hye Ryung's eyes widened and she looked at Gwi in disbelief. "H-How?... Is she fine?" Hye Ryung mumbled. Gwi took a deep breath, "For all I know, she's fine. Yesterday, when the book sellers were in the courtyard, she was also there... Watching behind a wall. I didn't recognize her scent until I bit one of them." He said. 
        
       "Then what happened?..." Hye Ryung asked worried about her friend. "She fainted, not before telling me how horrible I am. Then I took her to her room." Gwi answered, not mentioning the part where he spoke to Areum while she was unconscious. No one should know about his feelings towards the young princess.

       "I must go and talk to her, she might be traumatized from what she saw yesterday". Gwi sighed, "No need, I compelled her to forget everything she saw." He said. Without another word, she bowed and left the vampire. 

       Areum was in her study ready a book, when Hye Ryung came in, she bowed to her and sat in front of her. The princess sent her a smile, "It's nice to see you Hye Ryung." She said putting down her book. "Me too your Highness, did I interrupt your reading, I can come back later." Hye Ryung said but the princess only chuckled and shook her head, "I was bored and really wanted someone to talk to."
       
       Hye-ryung robotically fed the fish in her pond, ignoring the protests from her maid that she’ll overfeed them to death. She threw the entire bowl of food in and replied impassively that that was what she was trying to do—kill them—and reminded her maid that she hated the fishy smell of them.

      The maid became worried because her father dotes on the fish, and then he stormed in, incensed that his precious pet fish are all dead. Her father, the Prime Minister Choi, Gwi’s puppet official who does his bidding.

      Prime Minister Choi pitched a fit when Hye-ryung ignored him and asked if she didn't see her father. She turned around and asked, “Would someone who offered up his daughter as food to a bloodsucker for his own advancement look like a father in my eyes?”.

       Back at the castle, Areum was having a night walk alone but she didn't notice Gwi who was following her the whole time. She saw Hak Yong talking to some guards. The princess stopped in her tracks and so did Gwi. She mustered her courage and walked towards him. Maybe what she saw was just a misunderstanding.

       "Hak Yong-ah!" Areum called in a sweet voice that made the man turn around. "Your highness." Hak Yong bowed respectfully to the princess, the princess smiled a sweet smile that melted Gwi's heart. She quickly walked towards Hak Yong "Don't be formal, we knew each other ever since we were kids." The princess said after hugging Hak Yong. The man was a bit flustered, he didn't want to be rude so he hugged her back.

      At that moment, Gwi felt anger rise in him, mixed with another feeling, that was new to him, jealousy. She broke the hug and smiled at Hak Yong, "Hak Yong, I missed you." Areum said, "I missed you too your highness, it's really good to have my little sister back" He said. The princess felt disappointment after he said those words.

      "Yes... So are there any news tha-?" Areum asked but she was interrupted by a woman who she saw that day with Hak Yong. She bowed to the princess and smiled to Hak Yong, he gave her a genuine smile. "I want you to meet my fiance Lee MinJi." Hak Yong said as he laced his fingers with MinJi's. 

      Gwi could see how her eyes held sadness and disappointment in them but she succeeded to hide them with her bright smile, He felt more anger and hate towards Hak Yong right now. "You're going to pay for breaking my little princesse's heart. "Gwi whispered. 
      
      "Nice to meet you." The princess said trying her best to not start crying. "Your highness I have some work to do and I need to go see the prince." Hak Yong said. "Yeah sure." The princess said, they bowed and left. 
Areum only stood there watching them go as tears started to run down her cheeks.

       She ran back to her room and closed her bedroom door. She threw her self on the bed and started crying. Suddenly her bedroom's door opened, the princess sat on the bed and wiped her tears. "This is the second time we meet like this." Gwi said looking at Areum, "Get out please, I'm not in the mood to speak to anyone." She said not moving from her place and looking down.

       He scoffed before walking towards her and sitting next to her. "If something saddens you just tell me, the pain would become less." He told her putting two fingers under her chin and moving her head so she can look at him. Areum took a deep breath, "It's just someone... I thought we would end up together but sadly he has a fiance now... We grew up with each other and I secretly loved him but he only treats me like a younger sister... It hurts." She confessed crying the last word out. 

       Gwi put his arms around Areum and hugged her close, putting his chin on her head, "Don't cry, he's not worth your tears..." Gwi said feeling the princess tense under his touch. He let go of her and stood up, "I heard after tomorrow, the city will hold the lantern festival, would you like to go out with me and forget about that Hak Yong?" Gwi asked. She thought for a moment then she slowly nodded. "Fine. See you at night next to the back door of the castle." She said.

        He scent her a breath taking smile, "See you there little princess." Gwi said after he disappeared. Areum realized what she did. She accepted to go out with the man that she was warned of. The princess held her head in frustration and layed on her bed thinking of what to do.

 

Don't forget to upvote and leave a comment! <3