Chapter 1

Scholar who walks the night

   While Gwi was chasing Sung-Yeol and Yang-Sun in the forest. Princess Areum, the crown prince Yoon's younger sister was sleeping in her palanquin, the journey was really tiring. The night was a quiet one, only criquets are owls were heard.

        We then see Gwi, who looks to have momentarily lost his ‘prey’, soon pick up the scent again, only to find a rabbit that has YangSun’s blood on it. SungYeol smeared blood on the rabbit from YangSun’s shoulder wound he made. Angered by the situation, Gwi shouts SungYeol’s name out into the night.

        SungYeol reaches a waterfall, where he urges YangSun to endure for a little longer. He jumps in, and as the pair fall lower into the water, YangSun thinks about her father and sister, thinking that she may be close to death.SungYeol notices her struggling to breathe and presses his mouth to hers a few times.

      Meanwhile, above them, Gwi has gotten back on track. But them being in the water, the scent is gone. Gwi says that it would be a waste if he caught SungYeol after waiting so long to start the chase, but doesn’t seem to mean it as he roars in frustration.

    Areum woke up after hearing the ear deafening sound. She peeked from the little window but saw nothing, only guards and bearers. She laid back, took off her golden circular glasses and closed her eyes.

     Few moments later she heard yelling and clanging of swords. After putting her glasses back on. A guard named ByungHoon opened the palanquin door and pulled the princess gently out of the palanquin, "Your highness! Bandits are attacking us! You have to run now!" The guard said.

     Areum nodded and gave a last glance at her guards before running with ByungHoon. They kept running until Areum's shoulder was hit by an arrow. 

      She screamed in pain and fell down. ByungHoon helped her up, "Your highness you have to go now! I'll fight him off! Just run!" The guard told her and she did what she was told. She took off as fast as she could, but the dress and bleeding shoulder didn't help her.

      In the meantime, Gwi was walking back to his dungeon when a sweet scent hit his nose, he couldn't help but walk that way, he wanted to know who's blood it was.

     He kept walking until he saw a girl limping and grasping her shoulder, she seemed in a lot of pain, it was the first time he felt sympathy towards a human.

     She almost fell down but he caught her using his supernatural speed. Her blood was soaking her Jeogori, tears covered her face and her glasses became foggy but her beauty was still present. She looked up at Gwi and gripped his robe tightly.

      "H..Help me..." She said between sobs, "Please... I wa..want to see my family... I miss them..." She whispered before losing consciousness in his arms. Gwi just stared at her the whole time , there was something familiar about her. 

      He picked her up bridal style and ran back to the underground castle. He carefully placed her on his bed and went to fetch something from his chest of drawers. 

     He came back to Areum, sat next to her holding a knife in his hand, and carefully took out the broken arrow, she whimpered quietly in pain. He looked down at her pained expression and frowned but said nothing.

      Taking the hawthorn knife in his hand, he made a cut into his own palm, before he dripped his own blood onto her wound. With quiet sizzles, Areum's wound started to heal. He took off her Jeogori that turned from white to crimson red and covered her with one of his black cloaks. 

      After couple minutes, Areum opened her eyes slowly, and got up from the bed, she stood up with the cloak still on her. The place was cold and dark, candles were the only source of light. She checked her shoulder but saw nothing, only a blood stain. She hugged the cloak as she walked further from the bed, looking around the place.

      The cloak was very big for her which caused her to step on it and fall, she closed her eyes waiting for the impact but she only felt two strong hands catch her, "You're a clumsy one, aren't you." She heard a deep voice say before slowly looking up at its owner, Areum gapes at his beauty, but she quickly teared her self from his grasp.

      "Who are you? And why am I here? What is this place?" She asked trying to sound brave and strong but she sounded like a scared kitten to him. "People call me Gwi, you're here because I've saved you from bandits and if you remember, you were the one who asked me for help." Gwi answered the clueless girl.

     "May I ask who you are? You seem like a noble young woman." Gwi asked her in return. Before she could answer him the prime minister rushed in but as soon as he saw Areum he stopped dead in his tracks and didn't waste another second to bow to the princess and Gwi. "My Lord, Her Royal Highness" The old man greeted.

     Gwi didn't take his eyes off the beautiful girl infront of him, "So you're the princess... How come I haven't heard of you." Gwi said walking closer to Areum, he looked like a predator and she looked like his prey. 

     "I rarely come here...I live in Hanyang... I come just to visit the King and my older brother." Areum said looking anywhere but him. Gwi put a finger under her pale face and turned her head to look at him. "Nice to meet you, your Highness." Gwi said with a smirk on his face.

      "Your Highness, you may go up and change, there are maids who can you to your quarters. I'm going to inform the king about your arrival." the prime minister said. She only nodded in response, and left without saying another word.

       The minister confesses to Gwi that the King’s behaviour is unacceptable, especially as the request to arrest Lustful Student came from Gwi 'This King is clearly not so controlled as I thought he was'. He goes on to moan that the only thing the King cares about is the completion of the second palace and keeping his bloodline on the throne.

       Talk turns to JungHyun’s diary and what Sadong did with it. Gwi picks up YangSun’s bag and inhales deeply, thinking that if he can find ‘this man’, he can find SungYeol.

                               ⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘

      The maids were getting Areum was ready to meet her family. She kept looking at his cloak that was neatly folded on a table as a maid did her makeup.

       Meanwhile, Yoon is playing target practice, shooting around the man he caught in the forest. He comes to his last arrow as the King enters the courtyard, angry at having overheard him speaking about Prince Sadong.

     Yoon motions for the man to be brought to where they all stand, as he explains that this man has been following him for the past three months. A council member is shocked to recognise the man and shares a worried glance with another, especially when Yoon tells them all that this man has been sending back information on his whereabouts back to someone in the council.

      The King refuses to believe Yoon’s word and demands a confession from the spy. Yoon kneels down in front of the man and produces a handmade doll from within his hanbok. Yoon tells him that the people who hired him will kill his family, but he promises to protect them. The man wells up and blurts out his confession, that the Minister made him do it. The man even tells Yoon where to find the evidence.

     Yoon tells the King to remove the accused minister from his position and punish him accordingly. The King does so and even gives Yoon a nod of acknowledgement.

      Night came, Yoon, the king and Areum were having a dinner together, she told them what happened on her road to the palace. "But then someone saved me." She said. "Who's that? so we can thank him properly." Yoon said after taking a sip of his water.

       "He said he was called Gwi. He lives under the palace." After what the princess said the king and Yoon shared nervous looks. "Areum whatever happens don't talk to him again. He's a bad person." The King ordered his youngest granddaughter. "Yes, your Majesty." the princess responded quietly looking down at her plate.

     After the dinner, Areum was standing on her room's balcony enjoying the blurry view since she lost her glasses, thinking about yesterday's night events until she felt a cold breeze hit her, she looked around and saw Gwi standing next to her and watching the scenery infront of him, when he looked down at her, she immediately looked away.

      "So how's our princess doing?" Gwi asked with his signature smirk looking down at the beauty next to him. She only ignored him and kept staring infront of her. "Well... You forgot those." Gwi said holding the clean glasses infront of her. She hesitantly reached for them but he pulled them away. "I need a thank you. I saved you and brought you your glasses." He said with his signature smirk.

      Areum gulped, "The King and Crown Prince told me to not talk to you, and that you're a bad person." She mumbled quietly unsure If he heard her or not, but he did, he was a vampire after all.

     Gwi sighed, "Don't worry, I won't hurt you. I just saved you yesterday, remember?" Gwi said giving Areum her glasses. "Thank you, wait, I have something to give you back too." She said entering into her room and picking up the black cloak, when she walked back to the balcony, there was no one. Areum sighed and walked back to her room to sleep.
          
      Gwi meets with the king late that night and instructs him to call Yoon back to the palace and capture Eumlan Seosaeng(lustful student in Korean). The king resists, warning that he’s taken measures so that if Gwi kills him, word will be released to the world of Gwi’s existence. He intends to go after the information Sadong had found; Sadong had told him of the diary’s contents before dying. Looks like this king’s still got a bit of fight left in him.

    Gwi doth protest again that no method exists to destroy him, and the king calls him on the bluff: “Then kill me.”

     Gwi advances and bares his fangs, and the king braces for death. But Gwi holds back, he remembered what the princess told him that night, she wanted to see her family, "I can always kill you and the crown prince once you fail to find Eumlan Seosaeng, and make your precious little princess my bride." Gwi said smirking. "Leave Areum out of this, she doesn't have to know anything about what you are." The King said. 'So Areum(Beautiful) is her name, it really suits her.' Gwi thought.

     "How come didn't I know that you have a 
granddaughter, you were hiding her from me I suppose, why?" Gwi asked walking closer to the king. "She's the only granddaughter that I have, and the crown prince's younger sister, all I did was to protect her from you." The King clarified, Gwi only nodded and disappeared.

      Little did the king know that Gwi isn't willing to hurt her in anyway. Once he laid eyes on her, her innocent eyes and beautiful face moved something inside of him. 'No Gwi, you must not think like that, love is for the weak, and you're not weak' He thought to himself as he returned back to his dungeon, but before that he passed by her quarters and gave a last glance to her room's balcony.

 

 

 

Don't forget to comment and upvote!