end

can you hear me?

    After a tiring day at her family's restaurant, Jeongyeon packed up her stuff and proceeded to walk home. It's late at night and there are no more buses available. She sighed when she looked up to the cloudy skies, "What a luck, huh." After a while, it started raining. Jeongyeon had no choice but to make run for it. She didn’t bother looking for a shelter anymore since she lives about one block away now.

 

                Jeongyeon got home quite fast but that doesn’t eliminate the fact that she’s now soaking wet, from head to toe. She noticed that the lights were still on, most probably because she stayed up, waiting for her to come home. Albeit tired and cold, Jeongyeon walked up to their porch with a huge smile on her face.

 

                “Hey, love! I’m home!” Jeongyeon greeted the source of her perky voice and blinding smile.

 

                “Yah! Why are you wet?! Didn’t I tell you that I’ll just pick you up after your work once you’ve rung me?” She asked. She looked at Jeongyeon who was dripping wet but still kept a silly smile on her face. She sighed, “Just go wash up now before you get sick. I’ll wait for you out here. It’s movie night today!”

 

                Jeongyeon chuckled and shook her head. She went up their room to get a fresh set of clothes and proceeded to the bathroom. After washing up, she looked at her phone and saw 3 new messages from her good friend, Jihyo. She wondered what it could’ve been since it’s already quite late.

 

Jihyo:    Hey Jeong, sorry for disturbing you this late. I was wondering if you’d like to join us tomorrow for a reunion.. You know, just like before.

                We’ve all been busy these past few days but the girls are free for some time tomorrow, if you’re up for it?

                You don’t need to go, but we all miss you.

 

                Jeongyeon just stared at her phone for a while. It has been some time since they all met up to catch up. Plus, it is her day off tomorrow. She won’t have anything better to do anyways. She missed hanging out and having a chat with her high school best friends.

 

Jeongyeon:         Hey! I wasn’t asleep yet anyways..

                                I’d be up for some catching up tomorrow. Just text me the details.

                                And I miss you guys too.

 

                After messaging Jihyo, she went down and went straight to the kitchen to get some chips and drinks. She then proceeded to the living room and sat down on the couch.

 

                “What movies are we binge watching today, hmm?” Jeongyeon asked the girl in her arms with a lazy grin.

 

                “I’m feeling a pirates night.”

 

                Jeongyeon woke up to the smell of maple syrup and pancakes. Why is she up so early? We slept at 3am last night… She thought. The sunlight shone through the window and almost blinded her. The bed was getting slightly cold from the lack of body temperature. Rising up from their bed, she went down to their kitchen and inhaled. Jeongyeon walked towards her and gave her a back hug.

 

                “Yum, that smells really good. What’s our menu for today, chief?”

 

                “Wow, good morning to you too. I figured you’d still be asleep till now.” Jeongyeon then pouted and said, “Well, the bed was getting quite cold and the sunlight was shining right on my face. Plus, my girlfriend left me alone to hug a pillow…” The older girl just let out a laugh and muttered a soft baby.

 

                As the girl continued cooking, she said, “I’m almost done here, can you please set up the table? You still need to prepare. Jihyo called to tell me that you’ll be going with her today.” Jeongyeon then remembered her conversation with Jihyo last night. She can’t wait to see them again. She checked her phone to see messages about the details of their meet up today. She let out a soft hum and did as she was told.  After a while, they finished cooking and ate.

 

                “Where are you guys going?” Jeongyeon stopped chewing and said, “Mina opened up a new café down in Gangnam. She offered that we go there.” The girl left out a small hum and asked, “Will the rest of the girls be with you?” She nodded and finished up her plate.

 

                After eating, she took a bath and prepared herself to go out. She decided to go with a smart casual outfit and brought a small bag with her.

 

                “Bye love! I might stay out late with them. Don’t wait up for me okay? I’ll tell one of them  to drop me off here.” Jeongyeon gave her a soft peck on the cheek.

 

                “Ok love, take care! Love you!” The older girl shouted as Jeongyeon ran out of their house.

 

                “Love you too!”

 

                Following Jihyo’s instructions, Jeongyeon found herself standing in front of a fancy-looking café. She went in and was greeted by elated screams and the strong aroma of coffee. She heard a series of Jeongies and a triad of unnies. She was then tackled by hugs.

 

                She let out a laugh and said, “Hey! I can’t breathe!” The girls let go of her reluctantly, as if missing the feeling of the girl in their arms.  Dahyun and Chaeyoung suddenly turned to face Jeongyeon with a serious face and asked, “Unnie, answer us honestly. Did your girlfriend ditch you that’s why you chose to come today?”

 

                “Yah! Am I not allowed to miss you, you idiots?” Jeongyeon screamed at the pair. They let out a laugh and said, “Loosen up, unnie! You look tight!” She just let out a huff and sat beside Momo. The latter’s eyes shone brightly and hugged her arm.

 

                Dahyun suddenly cleared and said, “Since we are all here, I’d like to announce something…” The girl talking stared at her best friend and partner-in-crime, Chaeyoung, who continued what she was gonna say.

 

                “We’re getting married!”

 

 

                After the bomb was dropped, a series of congratulations were heard. All the girls were happy for them. All of a sudden, Jeongyeon let out a loud groan, gaining everyone’s attention, “Dahyun alone and Chaeyoung alone are bad as it is, and now we have to deal both of them together!” The girls mentioned looked at each other and smirked, “Well unnie, you just have to prepare yourself.” They let out a laugh and so does Jeongyeon.

 

                “So Jeongie, what have you been up to? I heard you were travelling around for quite some time.” Jihyo asked. Last time they heard from the girl, her dad said that she was out travelling around Europe with her girlfriend, Nayeon.

 

                “Yeah, I wish you guys could’ve been with us though. Backpacking around Europe was one of the best experiences in my life!” Jeongyeon then told them about their adventures (and of course, their misadventures) during their 1-month stay there. She told them about Paris, the all so famous leaning tower, and much more. Sana perked up with the mention of Paris and said, “I bet you both had a lovely time in Paris. They say it’s the city of love.”

 

                Jeongyeon let out a laugh and told them how Nayeon got so annoyed with the mimes; she instantly hated Paris because of them. “Maybe next time, all of us can travel together.” Tzuyu let out a suggestion, “I was hoping we can all fulfill our high school graduating wish: travelling together.” Mina let out a definite hum and said, “I want to visit Switzerland again! Maybe we can finally convince Momoring to do the thrill walk.” Everyone chuckled. Last time, they all travelled together except Jihyo, who had a knee surgery recently during that time. Everyone went on the thrill walk, even the scaredy cat Kim Dahyun, but not Momo.

 

                Everyone agreed. Momo shook her and said, “We should go to the States. We can food crawl and-“ Sana interrupted her best friend and asked, “When will you ever not think of food?” They all laughed at the usual banter of the two bickering best friends. Jeongyeon let out a soft smile and thought, I miss all of this. The laughs, the smiles, the endless bickering, the nonstop jokes…

 

                They all continued sharing stories with each other and time passed very fast. They all decided to call it a night. Chaeyoung looked at the time and saw that it was already 11:23 pm. She asked Jeongyeon if she’d like a ride, which the latter agreed to.

 

                After saying their farewells, they all parted ways.

 

                As Dahyun and Chaeyoung drove Jeongyeon home, they made a quick stop to the convenience store. Jeongyeon stared at Chaeyoung questioningly as Dahyun went out.

 

                “Let’s have a quick drink. Is that okay with you?” She asked her. Jeongyeon didn’t see what was wrong with it and agreed. Dahyun came back with a plastic bag and announced that she got chips and soju. Leave it to Dahyun to blow your eardrums off.

 

                After some twists and turns, they ended up at their old hangout place: the playground. Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung sat on the swings while Dahyun cozied up on the fallen leaves on the ground. They all had a bottle each and started to drink.

 

                It was quite for some time until Jeongyeon spoke up, “Nayeon and I broke up.” The younger pair nodded in understanding, and Dahyun urged her to continue. “It was in Paris, ironically. We were just fine during the morning. I mean, I hoped we were.” Jeongyeon let out a sigh and took a sip from her drink. “What do you mean, unnie? You hoped?” Chaeyoung asked.

 

                “Did you know that our relationship was already falling apart before our trip? We decided that maybe we can go on a pseudo honeymoon, see where it takes us. We thought it was going to do us some good.” Jeongyeon let out a laugh and continued, “It was acutally going well for about a week. But then we just started arguing over small, petty things. We fought because of the noise, the plans, the dinner. But then again, maybe I was the one to blame for all those.” Jeongyeon started tearing up and the two were quick to comfort the older one.

 

                “I just… The feelings I had for her started fading, you know? One day, I just woke up and realized ‘I don’t love her like that anymore’. I didn’t have the heart to tell her that, so I just did the small things to slowly put a distance between us. I started coming home late; I’d seldom tell her I love her. Sometimes, I’d go as far as to argue with her and make her leave.” She let out a shaky breath. She regret doing those to her. After all, Nayeon was Jeongyeon’s first love. Yes, the feelings aren’t as strong but it’s still there, deep down in her heart.

 

                “Who broke up with who, if you don’t mind us asking?” Dahyun asked her.

 

                “It was me. I couldn’t torture her anymore. I felt so bad, dragging her on and keeping her down.” Jeongyeon shut her eyes. “I cheated on her… With Bona. I fell in love at first sight. She made me feel like I was a giddy high school student who just saw her crush in the hallways.” The pair sew their mouths shut and let the older continue.

 

                “Our thing went on for a week till I decided to tell Nayeon. Tell her that I love someone else now: that I don’t love her anymore. That I want to break up.” Chaeyoung gave her a pat on the back and said, “Does Bona make you happy?” Jeongyeon agreed almost immediately, “No doubt on that.” And let out a small laugh.

 

                “Don’t blame yourself, unnie. At least you told her immediately. I’m proud of you, we’re proud of you. You had the courage to let her down softly, one time, than to prolong her stringing around.” Dahyun told her. “Have you heard from Nayeon-unnie?” Jeongyeon shook her head and the three of them just sat in silence after that. After finishing up their drinks, they cleaned up and brought Jeongyeon home.

 

                She saw Bona fast asleep in their room and smiled. No doubt, really, that this girl made her the happiest she’s been the past few months. She gave her a kiss on her forehead and went to the balcony to get some fresh air for a second.

 

                Truth is that, she lied to Dahyun about one thing. Nayeon calls her at least once a week, though it has been approximately 2 months since she last called. She texts her regularly even if she already deleted her number. She’d wonder who texted her in the middle of the night, but she remembers her number by heart. She doesn’t think she’ll ever forget.

 

                Her phone rang suddenly, and she answered. Just like what she always does. She answers, but she never speaks.

 

                “Hello love, it’s been a while. Can you hear me?” Jeongyeon clasped shut as she heard her voice again. Her voice sounded like she was drunk, she sounds like this every time she calls. The soft melancholic feeling spread out in her chest.

               

                “I’m sorry for disappearing for quite some time. Did you miss me? *chuckles* I heard you guys met up today. I couldn’t go. I don’t think I can face you without breaking down..”

               

                “Dahyun told me that she and Chaengie were getting married soon. Who would believe they’d get married first?! Always thought it would’ve been us… Jeongie… *sobs* I miss you so much. I’m sorry, can we please go back to how we were?” Jeongyeon doesn’t know why but tears slowly dripped down her face. “God, I miss you much that it hurts. I gave you time, Jeong. I gave you distance. Did it help? Can you come back to me now, love?”

 

                For the first time ever since Nayeon called, she finally answered.

 

                “I’m sorry, Nayeon-unnie. I’m happier now. I think it’s time for you to let go too.”