end.

high stakes
Please log in to read the full chapter

Contrary to what the general population thinks and worse, what some so-called devoted fans believe, Myoui Mina considers herself quite transparent. They see a hidden treasure, finding refuge within a dark trench coat, only privy to the oceans in Mina's brain. Funnily enough, the captain of her ship is hardly seen manning the sails; opting instead to lounge in her personal quarters or stare idly out at the calm sea, allowing her thoughts to drift afloat with the ripples. Warm and gentle, she bathes in clarity.

 

"Ready to start again?"

 

Sana, on the other hand, Mina considers a complete mystery. Like one of those crystalline lakes with a clear view of the rocky floor. Jump in, and you'll either have a nice swim in shallow waters or a deep dive into an inevitable death. Mina had heard that drowning's one of the worst ways to go.

 

"Um, let me just go to the bathroom first," Mina says, scurrying away.

 

This is their tenth time meeting, but Mina thinks that the number of times they've rehearsed this one scene has to be in the hundreds. She turns the faucet off and scrutinizes her appearance in the mirror, leaning in closer until some droplets from the countertop steep into her new shirt. There's a blemish on her left jaw that might pass as a mole to the unkeen. Mina regrets her choice to show up bare-faced before traipsing back to the room.

 

"Ready?"

 

Mina nods, smiling in a way that she hopes is perceived to be polite and amicable, that doesn't give away the sinking anxiety she feels. The bathroom trip had washed away the fatigue in her body, leaving only the initial stirrings of a thunderstorm, brewing in the pit of her stomach.

 

"What the hell's the matter with you?!"

 

This is the pivotal scene. The big confession, the of the film where the two stars finally get together after 90 minutes of pining and denial and genre humor. Mina paces the room, allowing her character to inhabit her. Sana's lines require a lot of yelling in this scene, and Mina doesn't fail to hear the hoarse tinge creeping into Sana's voice as the hours melt away into 2am.

 

"Answer me."

 

Mina can feel the skin on her nape chill, leaving goosebumps in a lain path. She clenches her fist, flares her nostrils, very slightly exaggerates a sharp inhale. She plays her part.

 

"I'm in love with you!"

 

Mina sees Sana's eyes widen, just for a moment. Real surprise only lasts for a second, Mina had learned in acting class, before it settles into some cobbled emotion the human psyche loves to inflic

Please log in to read the full chapter