Chapter 3

I'm trouble

Taehyung’s day had been so agitated that, even after getting home in the evening, he couldn’t sit still and walked in circles in his tiny apartment.

He had a fight with his boss after he got to work because the client didn’t wait and that was a lost money-making opportunity. Taehyung will have to quit his job soon anyway, before joining the cult and moving to the commune, but for now he still needed to pay next month’s rent and bills. He also worried about getting a fine for causing the bus to make an emergency stop without there actually being an emergency because he had no money to pay a fine with.

But the number 1 thing going around in circles in his mind was why Jungkook didn’t try to recruit him.

T: “Was he simply in a hurry? Are potential recruits designated to them? Am I already on a list of potential recruits that will come to the seminar and, therefore, he didn’t need to bother with me?”

Taehyung really wanted to believe any of these theories, but the logical side of his mind was fighting against it because, instead of saying things like “There’s a better life for you out there. Come and discover it.”, which was what a cult recruiter should say, Jungkook basically said “Stay where you are and view your current circumstances more positively because there are worse things out there.”, which was the complete opposite.

T: “I don’t get it… What’s the difference between me and that ex-prisoner?”

Taehyung then stopped to think about Jungkook’s potential reasons for recruiting ex-prisoners:

  1. You get recruits who are already accustomed to respect and fear authority, follow rules and routine-filled schedules, live in poor conditions, confined and without much free-will.
  2. They have lower chances of being integrated into society and finding jobs and they probably don’t have much going for them when it comes to personal relationships.
  3. They either feel a lot of bitterness towards the world or feel very lost and vulnerable.

T: “Pretty clever… whoever thought of targeting this kind of population segment…”

In case he would get more insight into this matter, Taehyung tried thinking back at his time in the juvenile detention center. Some horrible memories resurfaced, but he kept them under control well enough to conclude that he had been right about why ex-convicts recently released from an institution would make great cult recruits. Now that he thought about it, he remembered a lady approaching him right after he had been released, saying something about Jesus. Taehyung had barely, just barely, kept himself from strangling her.

Ever since he could remember, Taehyung’s mother had always told him he was nothing but trouble. He was an unwanted pregnancy and, apparently, he cried so much as a baby that his father got fed up and left. His mother, however, stuck around and did her parental duties for the most part. She didn’t provide any love or emotional support, since the only reason she had him was because, apparently, “abortion was murder” and she didn’t want to be a baby murderer.

So Taehyung started off causing trouble to get the attention he was lacking, then he became jaded and causing trouble became just a core part of his way of being and living. His mother smoked weed several days a week and Taehyung naturally became part of the weed distribution chain. When he was caught during his third year of high school, he refused to snitch on his source, because that would get him into trouble he really didn’t want, so he was sentenced to 6 months in a juvenile detention center.

Before the JDC, Taehyung was jaded for the most part. After the JDC, Taehyung was filled with so much fear and rage that he was ready to slit throats left and right at the slightest trigger. He absolutely hated people and was convinced beyond any doubt that humans were either evil or frighteningly evil.

---

When Taehyung returned to high school after being released from the JDC, no one dared even look at him because he had the aura of a murderer. Truthfully, he would have become one if he had spent one more month in the JDC, seeing and experiencing all of its horrors.

Even so, Namjoon called out to him in the hallway and, when Taehyung ignored him, Namjoon went up to grab his shoulder. Taehyung barely felt the touch on his shoulder when he abruptly turned around, grabbed Namjoon’s collar and, with a lot of aggression in his eyes and tone, spat:

T: “What do you want?”

N: “To talk to you.” Namjoon answered, while simply looking surprised and confused as to why Taehyung was acting like this.

T: “What for?”

N: “I just wanted to know if you’re okay.”

T: “…”

N: “I tried visiting you, but you wouldn’t see me. I tried calling and writing letters, but you didn’t respond. It’s been over 6 months in which I had no clue what was happening to you and I was worried.”

T: “You wanna know what happened?”

N: “Yeah. I…”

T: “Then skip class and follow me.”

Namjoon never skipped classes, but he skipped then and followed Taehyung to the back of the school where they sat on the ground and Taehyung told him what went on in the JDC. By the end of it, Namjoon’s body was shaking, his gaze was shaking and his voice was really shaking as he tried to get some words out:

N: “How… A-are… you… Are you okay?” Namjoon finally let out as he turned and grabbed Taehyung’s shoulder, looking at him like he was scared that Taehyung was going to break into little pieces right then and there.

For a lengthy moment, Taehyung just stared at Namjoon while the latter looked like he was losing the last bits of hope of getting an affirmative answer. Then, Taehyung said:

T: “Just now… I think I got a little bit saved.”

Namjoon was now confused. Taehyung smiled faintly but genuinely for the first time in over half a year.

---

By the time he was released from the JDC, Taehyung had become consumed by fear and rage. But that fear and that rage subsided considerably because of Namjoon. Because the world still had Namjoon within it, the world still had kindness within it and Taehyung didn’t see it as just horrifying anymore.

As he remembered those times, Taehyung held a hand over his chest because there was a warm ache in there that existed only because of Namjoon.

T: “After all these years, it’s my turn to do the saving…”

After getting over his emotions, Taehyung called a former -buddy who had, at one point, worked as a guard inside a penitentiary and asked him if there was any way of knowing when prisoners would be released from certain prisons. There was. So Taehyung went online to find out when a prisoner would be released from a penitentiary in or relatively close to his city.

Through a great of luck, the next prisoner would be released on a day in which the salon was closed and Taehyung was free and the penitentiary he would be released from was the one near which Taehyung had seen Jungkook. So he went there and waited in hiding till he finally saw Jungkook arrive and position himself with his back against a wall while facing the entrance gate. Taehyung casually walked till he was at a one meter distance from Jungkook, the latter having seen him but didn’t pay him much mind till Taehyung also leaned with his back against the wall and said:

T: “Hey. We meet again.”

Jungkook then looked at him surprised, Taehyung realizing that Jungkook was trying to search his memory for when and where they met before.

T: “You told me to appreciate that I at least have a job and hang in there, remember?” Taehyung said, seeing that Jungkook remembered after Taehyung prompted his memories. “But, in the meantime, I found better alternatives. There’s this organization called the New Life Initiative. I’ll be going to their seminars and…”

J: “Don’t go. You’re better off being homeless.”

Taehyung was again shocked by Jungkook’s response that was the exact opposite of what a recruiter should say, but he composed himself quick and casually asked:

T: “Why do you say that?”

J: “Cause I still have at least a bit of humanity left in me…”

A moment later, Jungkook detached himself from the wall and went up to the ex-prisoner that had just been released and was aimlessly looking around, wondering what to do now, and said the exact same things he did a few days before and in the exact same way.

During this time, Taehyung didn’t blink at all, barely breathed and his mouth was left hanging. He put his hand over his chest and only afterwards realized there was a warm ache in there that he still tried not acknowledging. Jungkook was kind. And the idea was overwhelming Taehyung, so he put all his strength into denying it before it would trigger any hope, compassion or any other kind of positive feeling that was only going to be detrimental to his goal of finding Namjoon. Seeing Jungkook perform his recruiter duty helped a lot in that denial.

When Jungkook walked away, Taehyung blatantly followed after him and sped up till he was beside him.

T: “That was a little cryptic. Would you mind explaining?” Taehyung said, but Jungkook didn’t answer and he wasn’t even looking at Taehyung as he increased his walking speed, so Taehyung tried something else: “Come on. You just convinced that ex-prisoner to join your cult. Why…”

J: “Your cult?” Jungkook asked with shock as he stopped and looked at Taehyung.

               T: Oh… !

Taehyung realized he had messed up terribly. Cult members are usually in denial about the organization they’re part of being a cult. But, whether or not Jungkook was aware or in denial about New Life Initiative being a cult, it was suspicious as if a potential recruit wanted to join an organization while thinking of it as a cult. Taehyung messed up and his expression showed that he was aware of that fact.

J: “Who are you?”

Jungkook looked smart and not brain-washed beyond repair from what Taehyung could tell, so there was no saving this. Taehyung’s whole demeanor changed drastically and he straight-up asked:

T: “Is Kim Namjoon in one of your communes?”

Jungkook’s eyes went wide and he went silent as his mind pieced things together. But, after a long moment, he said:

J: “Yes. He is. But don’t come after him, or you’ll just end up stuck in the same situation.”

Every time Jungkook was honest it shocked Taehyung and threw him completely off his ax, making him unable to act as calm and collected as he had originally planned. So he shouted:

T: “You’re lying! You’re pulling some kind of reverse psychology bull on me so I’d end up going to your communes! Why would you tell me he’s there if he actually is there?”

J: “Because I know what it’s like to look for somebody and have no clue where they are!” Jungkook shouted back with a pained expression and Taehyung remembered that the most likely scenario was of Jungkook joining this cult because he was looking for Seokjin. “Anyway, even if he’s there, don’t come. I went down that path, Namjoon went down that path, and now we’re stuck and can’t leave. If you come, you’ll just end up the same and you won’t be doing him any good. Just…”

T: “What? Just what? Forget about him?”

J: “…”

T: “Ain’t happening.” Taehyung deadpanned, then grabbed Jungkook’s collar and pulled on it before he said: “I’m coming. And, just so you’d know, I’m trouble.”

Taehyung let go of Jungkook’s collar and stomped away.

Not long after that, he was grabbing his head and cursing himself for how he handled the conversation with Jungkook. He could’ve asked him more things about Namjoon’s situation. But, instead, he got mad that Jungkook told him not to come for Namjoon. It didn’t matter that Jungkook might have been very well-intended when he said that, it still triggered Taehyung.

Jungkook wasn’t in the area around the penitentiary anymore when Taehyung looked for him, so there was nothing he could do but call him. However, Jungkook would then learn that the unknown number that had been calling him belonged to Taehyung and might avoid answering in the future. Taehyung didn’t want to play this card now, thinking that it was a card he could use only once and it was better to leave if for later when he would have a more defined purpose for it. Right now, he didn’t really need it.

Namjoon was in the cult’s commune. Taehyung was already sure of it and Jungkook only confirmed. The seminar Taehyung would attend was in two days and that’s the path he would have to take anyway to get to the commune.

So on March 8, Taehyung was ready to go into the rented conference room of a hotel and attend the “Escape the economic crisis” seminar.

As soon as he entered the room, he was greeted by a very attractive lady wearing business attire and a larger than life smile.

L: “Welcome! You must be Kim Taehyung?”

T: “Uh, yeah.”

L: “I knew it. I saw the list of participants and I naturally remembered such a handsome young man. You’re really one of a kind, Taehyung.”

T: “Th-Thank you.”

L: “This is your first time with us, right?”

T: “Yes, it is.”

L: “Then you just made the first step in escaping the economic crisis, its dreadful effects and all of your struggles. You’ve made a wise decision and a brave one, since many become complacent or discouraged and don’t seek out something better. But don’t worry. Everything will be better for you from this point on. Your life will change and you’ll forget you ever had your current struggles. Take it from me, I’ve been where you are right now.” the lady said, putting a hand on Taehyung’s shoulder. “And you will also reach happiness.”

T: “Thank you.”

L: “Go have a seat over there and enjoy the start of your new life.”

T: “Thank you.” Taehyung said again, continuing to act flustered but happy about that interaction.

However, in his head, there were only 2 things going around in a loop. One was the chorus of R.E.M.’s song “Shinny Happy People” and the other consisted of the information from Namjoon’s file.

Recruiters will be attractive people who will seem accomplished, confident, enthusiastic, and who will exude happiness. They will make you want to be like them. They will eagerly welcome you and you will feel like you’ve made instant friends. Love bombing might start at this stage, with them acknowledging you, complimenting you, making you feel special, appreciated and included. They will give you firm and powerful but vague guarantees of happiness. They will frame the organization as superior and those who are part of it as superior compared to the rest of the world.

Namjoon had been taken aback and overwhelmed when he came to a seminar, so he only analyzed everything rationally in retrospect. Taehyung, however, came in fully aware of these tricks, since they had been explained in Namjoon’s file, and he deliberately acted like he was just another lost sheep, ready and grateful to receive the guidance and the love like he had no idea it was all fake.

So when another recruiter came and sat next to him, handing him some flyers and talking to him with another larger than life smile on his face, Taehyung just nodded and let out exclamations such as “Oh” and “Wow”. This recruiter was also touchy. This recruiter also seemed to be a success story for what the organization offered. This recruiter also complimented him, saying that he seemed like a smart guy and that’s why he shouldn’t waste time and money on other seminars and just quickly join the next nature retreat, which would take place in two weeks, cause spots were rapidly getting filled out and then Taehyung would have to wait even more till he could take the next step.

T: Wait, what technique was this again? Sense of urgency? Scarcity effect? Fear of missing out? God damn it, they’re using a load of techniques at the same time! I can’t keep up!

T: “I’m very interested… Thank you for telling me.”

The recruiter then tapped him on the shoulder twice and left to go talk to someone else. Taehyung breathed in and out while trying to be subtle.

T: Damn… If they’re not brainwashed into acting like this, every recruiter here could have an outstanding acting career…

Taehyung took a look around to study everyone more when he unexpectedly saw Jungkook enter with one of the ex-prisoners Taehyung had seen him recruiting. Jungkook also had business-casual attire and a larger than life smile. Taehyung was reminded of the smile Jungkook had in the pictures from Hoseok and Jimin and it gave him chills seeing it used for evil like this.

It looked like Jungkook introduced someone to the ex-prisoner, who talked to him for a while and then completely took over for Jungkook as the latter was handed some flyers and was pointed towards another participant who had just arrived. Taehyung watched Jungkook approach that participant and do the same things the other recruiter had done to Taehyung. It was like watching gore. Taehyung felt sick and, yet, he couldn’t take his eyes off of what Jungkook was doing.

When he finished, Jungkook sat up and scanned the room as he walked away. Then, their eyes met. Jungkook’s smile instantly vanished and he turned into a statue. Taehyung felt relief from the depths of his soul at seeing that real fear on Jungkook’s face and he gave up his initial plan to go talk to him, making it seem like he had been snagged by Jungkook’s recruiting efforts. After a bit of reconsideration, Taehyung realized it might be detrimental later on to both of them if it seemed like they knew each other, so he turned his gaze away from Jungkook and decided to ignore him until he either needed his help or could use him for something. However –

J: “Hello. Is this your first time at one of our seminars? I’m Jungkook.” he said, after unexpectedly taking a seat next to Taehyung and extending his hand towards him.

T: “Taehyung.” he replied, shaking Jungkook’s hand while both of them wore large and fake smiles.

J: “I told you not to come, didn’t I?” Jungkook said in a very low voice but still with that large smile.

T: “And I told you I’m coming and I’m trouble, didn’t I?” Taehyung said in the same way.

J: “This is gonna end badly.”

T: “As long as Joon is alive and free at the end, I don’t care if it ends in mass murder.” Taehyung deadpanned while looking like he was talking about candy and puppies, then he raised his voice a bit and continued with: “Yes, I already heard about the retreat and it sounds very appealing. Maybe we can talk more after the seminar? I really wanna pay attention to it.”

J: “Yes. Of course!” Jungkook also said in a louder voice as he understood that Taehyung was shooing him away. “Talk later.”

Jungkook got up and went to sit at one of the seats at the end of a row. When Taehyung looked around, he noticed that most recruiters were either on seats at ends of rows, near the walls or near the door. This was to deter a participant from leaving in the middle of the seminar, to be able to cut his path if the participant still attempted leaving and to more easily continue engaging with participants at the end of the seminar. Briefly, Taehyung thought that cults were too intelligent for him and he might find himself in a tight spot when he would end up in situations not covered by Namjoon’s notes.

The seminar started and it started with fear-inducing statistics about unemployment rates, about how many people ended up homeless, about how many people committed suicide as a result of the despair caused by increasing debts and as a result of seeing how hopeless the situation looked. And it was hopeless. Various charts showed the world going to socio-economic hell.

Taehyung caught himself feeling despair grow inside of him. He immediately suppressed it, but he was shocked. Even though he knew this was part of a cult’s propaganda to get people jumping at their offer, he had still been made to feel despair.

               T: Damn… They’re good.

A few of the participants were prompted to share how the economic crisis had impacted them. Of course, since the organizers already had information on each participant, the ones they prompted were the ones with the most relatable and heartbreaking stories. The speakers showed sympathy to them. Then they put the blame on the government and rampant consumerism.

On the topic of consumerism, some participants, including Taehyung, were asked what they had bought the day before. Inevitably, some people said food. The speakers then went into how much food is produced and how much is wasted. Thus, participants were subtly made to feel guilty for having bought what they, apparently, didn’t really need, and for being part of the problem.

The speakers had the body language, the tone and the words of someone who was starting a revolution. This created the corresponding effect within the participants and it was well-timed because, then, the villains were introduced – vanity, greed and gluttony. Examples were given on how these sins manifest – desire to look good, to have expensive things, to have the newest things, to have more than one of the same thing etc. Again guilt was induced so that the participants would feel that the way they were currently living their lives was wrong.

Then, the bomb dropped. The current situation and the current behaviors will lead to an economic collapse within 3 to 4 years that will have drastic consequences. Predictions on how the world would be shaped after the economic collapse made participants shiver and want to do something fast to save themselves.

One side of Taehyung was getting into all of this while the other kept trying to pull him back to a more objective state. Normally, Taehyung didn’t care what the world would end up like, he was still going to do whatever he needed doing to survive. But he just couldn’t help getting riled up by how things were being presented.

Then, the solution was presented. While governments fail their people and politicians greedily stuff their pockets while they still can, while churches ask for money and preach about being good but do nothing for their communities, the New Life Initiative, as an independent organization, aims to help people become self-sufficient and avoid being affected by the evil that they can’t control.

Following that, the speakers further elaborated on the superiority of the New Life Initiative, proposed practices for limiting spending and also subduing sins like vanity, green and gluttony, explained the things participants would learn at the nature retreat, mentioned the option of safe communes that will be free from the effects of economic collapse and closed with an invitation for the participants to talk further with the rest of the organizers present at the event.

Taehyung wobbled into standing position, feeling like he had just come off of some hard drug.

T: Not good… Even if I’m not emotionally vulnerable, my head’s still easy for them to play with. Joon said that mere repetition can be effective in persuasion and a lot of repetition can create a hypnotic state. If I’m like this after just one seminar, if they’ll constantly bombard me with these ideas, am I gonna be able to not turn into a zombie?

Whether or not he would turn into a zombie, Taehyung still wanted to get to Namjoon fast, so he composed himself to act according to his plan and go to a recruiter to talk. He remembered that he and Jungkook had arranged to talk after the seminar, but it seemed like the ex-prisoner and another participant were currently talking to Jungkook, so Taehyung went up to the other recruiter who sat down next to him and asked:

T: “Uhm, excuse me… how did you say I could sign up for that nature retreat?”