Breath

Breath

White ceiling, white walls, white sheets… everything was white. There was a faint rhythmic beeping in the background. I blinked twice to take in my surroundings. I was still in the hospital.

 

I wanted to sit up, but my whole body felt sore. My head was throbbing too.

 

“Hey, take it easy,” a soft voice told me. My head turned towards the beautiful sound. An angel dressed in sapphire blue was walking towards me. Was all this real? How could all these be real? She put down the plastic bag she was carrying on the table beside my bed. She reached out her arms to help me up and I flinched as her fair white hands touched my skin. "Sorry, did I hurt you? Where does it hurt?"

 

In my heart, I wanted to say but had no courage to. The warmth of her touch felt so real. This must be real. 

 

"Kyesin?" I said, my voice low and course.

 

"Yeah? Do you need something?" She smiled.

 

She really is here. “You…” I whispered. With all my strength, I stretched my arms to wrap it around her.

 

“Oh hey, everything alright?” she asked as she rubbed my back.

 

“Yeah,” I said, wiping the tears that just fell. “Everything is good now.”

 

“What’s wrong? Why are you crying? Does something hurt? How are you feeling?” she looked at me worriedly.

 

“My body feels a bit sore, and my head hurts a bit, but it’s manageable.” I took her soft hand in mine. “As long as you’re here, everything is alright.”

 

She squeezed my hand. “Tell me if anything’s wrong, okay? I don’t want any secrets between us again. The last time you hid something from me… nearly destroyed us both.”

 

I nodded. “I’m sorry about that… I just wanted to protect you… I didn’t want to let you see me like this,” I said. “By the way, how did you know I was here?”

 

“Heechul oppa told me,” she answered. “I knew there was something wrong when you broke up with me that night. So I asked him… and after a month of nagging, he finally gave in. He said you looked terrible when he visited you here.”

 

I chuckled a bit. “Yeah… I was… It’s so nice to have you here… I missed you so much,” I said, brushing her face.

 

Her eyebrows furrowed. “Love, I’ve been here for two weeks. Don’t you remember any of that?”

 

“You’ve been here for two weeks?!”

 

She nodded and bit her lip worriedly. “We have to tell your doctor about this. This isn’t good…”

 

I breathed deeply. “Hey, hey, calm down. The doctor said I might have some memory loss with the surgery.”

 

“But Kyu… This is still something we need to report, okay?” she cupped my cheek. “I don’t want to risk anything.”

 

“Okay…” I looked into her pretty hazel eyes. “I don’t know if I have already told you this, but I’m sorry… for Jeju…”

 

She shook her head. “You don’t have to apologize again. I understand.”

 

“I love you so much,” I said. I tried sitting up again to reach her lips despite the soreness I feel.

 

“Let me help you with that,” she laughed. She cupped my face with her hands and pressed her lips on mine.

 

The kiss was amazing - as it always was. But maybe it’s because of everything we’ve been through that this felt special. My fingers found their way to her head, and knotting them on her hair. 

 

When her lips parted with mine, I knew I didn’t want this to end. “One more,” I whispered before pulling her back. I felt tears welling up my eyes as I kissed her. The past few days have been absolutely painful. The surgery was one thing, but the chemo was another. The nauseous feeling and the vomiting… It’s almost unbearable. And I missed this so much - and I love her even more. For her to come here and to still care for me even if I broke her heart, I’m the luckiest man in the world.

 

She smiled at me as our lips parted. “I love you, okay? We’ll get past this. Together.”

 

I nodded. I circled my arms around her. But in a blink of an eye, she was gone. The room was now empty. What happened? “Kyesin?” I called. “Where did you go? Kyesin?” Then I felt the bed shook. I opened my eyes and the room looked different. It was no longer bright, and it was raining outside.

 

“I’m sorry, sir. Did I wake you?” I heard someone asked. “I was adjusting your IV.”

 

My eyes darted to my bedside where a nurse was standing next to my heart monitor. “Where am I?” I said in a weak voice.

 

“Still in the hospital, sir. Do you not remember?” she asked.

 

“Oh… no, no, I remember… Where’s uh… Where’s Kyesin?” I asked.

 

“Sir?”

 

“My girlfriend? Brown hair, fair skin, hazel eyes?” I said.

 

“No one’s with you here, sir,” she told me.

 

“Oh… I must be dreaming then…” I said, sighing.

 

“Everything seems to be fine. I’ll get going, sir. If you need something, please press the button,” she said before bowing and leaving the room.

 

I look at the window outside. The rain was heavily pouring, and so are my tears. Why do I even have to wake up? Why can’t I just stay in that dream forever? I miss her so much…



 

“Hey, hi,” Park Kyesin, who was standing outside Kyuhyun’s hospital bedroom, called the nurse who just went out.

 

“Yes? Oh! Are you Mr. Cho’s girlfriend?” she asked.

 

Kyesin’s eyes welled up with tears again. “Yes… I mean, no… not really.”

 

“Well, he said he dreamt about you,” she said. “I should tell him you’re here.”

 

“No! No, please don’t,” Kyesin said. “How… how is he?”

 

“He’s hanging in there,” she replied. “Why don’t you go inside?”

 

Kyesin shook her head, smiled bitterly and breathed deeply. “I don’t think he wants to see me.” 

 

“Oh, I don’t think so,” she smiled at her. “I think he misses you.” The nurse then walked off to the room next door.

 

Kyesin stood in front of Kyuhyun’s door, wondering if she should turn the knob in front of her or not. She breathed deeply once, closed her eyes, and walked away as she let the tears roll down her face.

 

-----------

Hi everyone! Pls comment your thoughts below :)

I'll try posting new stories or chapters every week.

 

EVERYBODY HERE'S A GOOD SONG

 

The song I'm recommending today is the basis of this drabble - Park Hyoshin's Breath. I especially liked King of Masked Singer Genie's version which you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28jokQnQlm8