chapter 1

Accidentally In Love

Yoongi was a gay man. His friends knew this, he knew this, had known it for ages. Heck, in his early years he had thought that he might even be biual but females didn’t really attract his attention that much. Or at all. And everyone around him had noticed that. He never talked much about girls, never really showed interest in them, it was obvious. Well to him anyway. Apparently, his parents were completely clueless. Or just had other plans. 


“So how’s university going?” That’s what his father had asked the second day after he had finally come home for winter break. All of his friends were planning to go home for their holidays, and Yoongi wasn’t really planning to do the same, but what was he supposed to do there alone? So he decided to swallow his pride and finally show up at his parents’ house, with his hands on his pockets, no kind of suitcase or bag with him. He still had some of his old clothes there. Yeah, they would do for a while. 


“Uni is going okay, yeah it’s cool.” He had replied. His father had raised his eyebrows. “Cool, huh? Isn’t it supposed to be a bit hard? Or are you just skipping classes and partying because you’ve choosen an easy major? You do know we spend a lot of money for you and that dumb lifestyle of yours?” His mother who had entered the room at the exact time, bringing a large cake on a plate, looked at her husband disapprovingly. She had put the cake down in the middle of the table and had placed her hands on her hips. “Now, now dear, let’s not jump to conclusions. I’m sure our dear Yoongi is taking his classes very seriously. Plus, it’s not his first year, he’s already used to that life.” Yoongi had sighed, nodding thankfully to his mother and then had turned to his father. 


“Yeah dad, mom is right. Classes are going okay, I’m studying and preparing for all my exams. There’s no need to worry.”


“I sure hope so.” And with that, the conversation about university had ended. But his mother had had other ideas.


“So have you made any new friends there?” He had rolled his eyes as he had brought the plate close to him, trying to focus on eating. “Not really, I’m still friends with the ones I were last year.” His mother’s displeased look had told him that a familiar conversation was about to come. And he wasn’t wrong. 


“So no new girls, huh? There’s not a chance about a girlfriend anytime soon?” Yoongi had pushed his plate aside, clearly annoyed as he spilled the same words he had been saying these past two years. “No, mom there’s no girlfriend.” 


She had shook her head in disappointment. “It would be nice if you found one, I don’t like seeing you so lonely. And you’ll be out of university soon, you’ll need to find a nice girl to settle down and start a family with.” 


“I have time mom, it’s not like I’m old or something. I plan on finishing university and finding a job first, then I can think about girls.” His mother had sighed after that and Yoongi had known that she had given up on that topic. For now. As if to make the situation worse, Yoongi’s father had suddenly asked about someone. Someone he had never thought would be mentioned by his parents. Still surprised, Yoongi has asked his father to repeat his question. 


“Kim Seokjin, I said. He is the son of one of our most important clients. On our last meeting, his father was telling me about how he is studying in the same university as you are. Do you know him?” Yoongi had flinched, knowing very well who his father had been talking about. After all who didn’t know The Kim Seokjin? The perfect rich boy who was good at everything. Adored and loved by many. ‘A real talent’ as teachers often described him. And also a real . They were the same age, in the same year but had different majors. Since they had different majors, that meant they didn’t really have a lot of classes together. And Yoongi was more than thankful for that. The boy was a ‘ing pain in the ’ as he often said. He didn’t care much about him at first, but the other male had developed a sudden hate towards Yoongi and he never could quite understand why. He had never talked to him or did anything to make the other hate him, he basically ignored the other so he was very surprised when the male had started insulting him and throwing snarky comments every time they passed by each other. And Yoongi couldn’t stand that.


“Yeah, I know him,” he had finally replied, “but we aren’t friends.” His father’s expression had been more than disappointed as he had started telling Yoongi about how he needed to become friends with him. 


“Forget about girlfriends, they won’t bring you any good. That Kim boy, he’s the one you should stay close to. Be his friend, his right side man. It would be great to strengthen our bond with the Kims. Don’t let this opportunity pass by. He’s a real gem.” 

‘Yeah of course he is,’ Yoongi had thought sarcastically as he had gotten up and excused himself to go to his room. Even now, here in his home, Seokjin was bothering him and disturbing his quiet life. He heard enough about him at university, he didn’t need for his parents to also become fans of that snotty rich boy. “But you didn’t eat the dessert,” his mother complained, but Yoongi waved his hand dismissively, clearly not in the mood to eat sweets.

Now that he was up in the quietness of his room, he finally felt at ease. Ever since he was a kid, he liked being alone, in his own little space, where no one could bother him. Just him. Him and music. Music made him feel so much, made him go through emotions other than annoyance or boredom, made him experience happiness, creativity, motivation, hope. Music for him was an escape. Being raised in a strict household with successful parents who expected him to be perfect and excel in every part of life, Yoongi couldn’t say he had an easy childhood. But music helped. It made him feel like it was all gonna be okay, he was gonna survive, he would finally be happy. And with that he had managed to get out of their controlling behavior and do something he actually wanted to do, not something they wanted him to do. It had consequences and Yoongi  knew it, so he was prepared to deal with his parents’ fury when he had announced that he was going to major in music and not in law like they would’ve wanted. But it all was worth it.

 
The chill and calming sound of a sad hip hop song and his thoughts were interrupted by his ringtone. He lazily opened his eyes to look at the caller id and groaned. It was his best friend. 

“Sup’ Namjoon,” he finally answered.


“Hey Yoongi, what are you doing?” came the reply from the other line. 


“Oh nothing much, just had a stupid conversation with my lovely parents.” His best friend chuckled as he asked about what the conversation had been this time. “About me getting a girlfriend,” Yoongi pinched the bridge of his nose. 


“Ah, I thought they would’ve noticed by now,” came the reply. Yoongi sighed, he had believed the same thing too, but no, his parents were too oblivious for that. He wasn’t even sure if they would even accept him if he came out, but knowing their tempers and mentality, he thought that it was highly unlikely for them to accept him as a gay man. That was okay, his friends accepted him and that was important for now. He would be okay. 


“Anyway, guess who they were also talking to me about,” said Yoongi as he tried to change the subject a bit. 


“Hm, let me guess... was it Seokjin?” Yoongi’s mouth opened in shock. 


“How the .... how did you even find out about that?” 


There was a long silence and then some unsure words slipped out. “Wait.... what?? I was just kidding. I said that as a joke because of how much you talk about disliking him and I thought that even your parents might’ve found out about him.”

“They have found out about him. Not from me, anyway. He is the son of one of their clients. My dad even told me to befriend him,” Yoongi explained quickly. There was silence again and something that sounded like a chuckle, although Yoongi really didn’t want to believe it.”You know.... that might not be such a bad idea after all.” 


“Oh Namjoon, come on, not you too!”

“Listen, I know how you feel about him, but he’s not such a bad guy after all, he’s a good friend.” Yoongi sighed again, knowing this was going nowhere. He hadn’t thought about being friends with him before - how could he? The boy was rude and seemed full of hate towards him, never missing a chance to insult him, and friendship seemed almost impossible. Yoongi let out a bitter laugh. “Just because he has charmed you with his fake personality, doesn’t mean he will do the same with me. We don’t like each other. That’s it, let’s leave it at that.” Namjoon sighed too, giving up at trying to convince his stubborn friend. “Fine, fine. Are you going to stay there during the rest of the break?”

“I was going to, but they’re as annoying as they used to be before. I’ll probably come back after a few days.” That seemed to calm Namjoon down as he said that he would probably come back to the dorms after a few days too. He wished Yoongi goodnight and hung up and with that, there was silence once again. He decided that it was best to sleep, since he had nothing better to do. As soon as he closed his eyes, he finally felt like he could rest and sleep but the silence was disturbed once again by an unsure knocking. “Come in,” he grumbled as he shoved his face in his pillow, not wanting to have any human contact for a while. It was his mother.

“What did I do now?” he asked sarcastically as his mother sighed and sat down on the edge of his bed.

“Don’t use that tone with me, Yoongi. I’m not one of your little friends,” she said sternly and he found it pointless to respond to that. “I came to tell you something. About what your father said regarding Kim Seokjin. Do what he said. Be his friend and try to get as close to him as you can. It would be very beneficial to us.” So that was what she wanted to talk about.

“And what if I don’t want to do that?” His mother scrunched her nose in disgust as she heard that.

“Then you’ll be really a waste of space. You’re good for nothing. We spent so much money and effort on you while you were growing up but you really turned out to be a failure, a waste. Always doing your stupid little things instead of being useful to us. God, i really wish you weren’t born sometimes. You’re a mistake, that’s all you’ll ever be. If you don’t do what your father asked, then we will do nothing for you. No more paying for your tuition, your university, your apartment, nothing. You’ll earn nothing from us if you keep acting like this. This is the last straw, Yoongi.” Maybe if he was young and stupid, these words would have hurt him a lot, would’ve made him sad, made him want to cry, but he was so used to it. So used to being treated bad by his own parents, that it didn’t even surprise him anymore. Her threats didn’t surprise him either and he was more than determined to not do some kind of stupid thing, only because it would help his parents get richer. Money, it was always about money. Nothing else mattered to his parents, not even their own child. Money came first. He scowled as he abruptly got up from the bed, scaring his mother. He grabbed his phone, his keys and his wallet and turned to face his mother one more time.

“You know what? Do it. Do it all, I don’t care anymore, I’m so done with you and that stupid old man. I’m not doing any kind of favour for you two anytime soon so don’t hope for anything. Like you said, dear mother, this is the last straw.” And with that, he bolted out of the room, running down the large hall and sprinting down the stairs, hoping he wouldn’t run into his father. He made it past the large door and got to his car. He the car as he started driving quickly around the courtyard. When he arrived at the gate, the guard gave him a questioning look but opened it nonetheless. And finally, he was out of that house. He was free. But he knew it wasn’t over like that, his parents didn’t give up easily. It was going to be a long break. Damn that Kim Seokjin.