singular.

But Chaeyoung was a nice person
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Park Chaeyoung was a nice person. All her life people had been telling her how friendly and helpful she was. In her own humble opinion, she was a good, kind and caring person. So when she went to medical school to become a nurse, it wasn't surprising to anyone - really. She got a job at the city hospital during her final year and stayed once she'd graduated. And she loved it: the people were friendly and the hospital was a state of the art. It really was her dream job.

The only thing she could not get used to, ever, in a million years though, would be the hours she had to work. Because the one and only thing Chaeyoung loved more than her job was her sleep. She didn't think it was unusual. People were supposed to sleep. Although, apparently, nurses were not people and therefore, aren't entitled to the sleep they so dearly deserve.

So as she trudged towards her apartment building in the wee hours of the morning at 2:51, there was one thing and one thing only in her mind: sleep. Her head hadn't felt the softness of her pillow in a little under seventy-three hours. Darn emergency room with all its emergencies.

With as much strength as she could muster, she wrestled with the lobby door of the apartment complex she lived in and nearly fell right onto the tiled floor of the lobby. It wasn't the swankiest of apartment buildings, but the lobby area held the essentials for everyone who lived in there. Their mailboxes, a supply closet that nobody had a key for, two vending machines that only worked when they felt like it, and a hobo asleep in a ball next to said vending machine.

Wait, what?

Every fibre in Chaeyoung’s being was telling her to keep walking. To trudge the twelve flights of stairs up to her own apartment and head straight to bed. To fall into a dreamless sleep and only wake up to pee and possibly eat.

But Chaeyoung was a nice person.

Going against her better judgement, she slowly approached the ball of blanket on the floor. Upon closer inspection, she realized that it was not a hobo. Or else, they were a very well-kept hobo. There was no foul smell and the small part on their body that peeked out of the top of the blanket seemed very clean.

Taking some caution, as she had plenty of experience with the homeless in her line of work, she kneeled down slowly and tapped the bundle on what she hoped was their shoulder. The pile moved a little and mumbled something incoherent, which told Chaeyoung that they were probably a woman.

Chaeyoung tapped them once again, slightly harder to ensure they knew she was there. She almost fell backwards when the form in front of her bolted upright.

"Whuzzah?! What's goin'...-" the person glanced around deliriously, their face showing genuine shock at what had just transpired.

Chaeyoung realized, a little embarrassingly, that the woman sitting in front of her was not a hobo but, in fact, the woman who lived directly above her. Lalisa... Lisa something… Manobal… Manoban… something like that. She didn't know much about the young woman other than the fact that she played music extremely loud at ungodly hours and had a tendency to stomp a lot - probably after her two cats. It didn't matter, though. What Chaeyoung tried to focus on was why her neighbour was sleeping in the lobby of their apartment building at 3 a.m.

"Are you okay? You're asleep in the middle of the lobby."

"Not anymore." Lisa grumbled lowly, shifting her weight a little and fumbling with her pillow.

"Um, okay… May I ask why you're in the lobby bundled up in a blanket like a hobo?"

Lalisa huffed loudly. "Because I can't sleep in my own apartment and tonight is the one night where I need to get a good eight hours of sleep. "

That was more information than Chaeyoung was expecting or, at least, more without any prompting. She nodded slowly and cursed herself when she realized the next question falling from before she could stop it.

"Why can't you sleep in your apartment?"

Lisa gave her a look that told her to go away, but when she realized that Chaeyoung wasn't moving, she sighed heavily before answering. "My roommate is having extremely loud, obnoxious and I know her well enough to know that they won't be quieting down anytime soon. Hence why I'm here." She couldn't help but smirk as Chaeyoung's face went bright red in embarrassment. 

"Oh… I see… That's awkward."

"You have no idea. So, if you'll excuse me, I have sleep to catch up on." Lisa informed her before turning around and placing her head back onto her pillow. She closed her eyes but opened one of them when she felt Chaeyoung still kneeling beside her. "Yes?"

Once again, Chaeyoung internally kicked herself for the words that flowed out of .

But Chaeyoung was a nice person.

"Do you want to crash on my couch?"

Lisa opened her other eye and stared at her. "For real?"

Chaeyoung shrugged in response. "I guess. It may not be too comfortable, but still."

"Uh… Sure. If you don't mind?"

Shaking her head, Chaeyoung stood, feeling her knees crack and her body protest at the movement. She walked up the steps and just assumed the other was following her towards her apartment. It was times like this she despised the fact that this building didn't have a working elevator. Finally, she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter