Chapter One-Magic Shop

A Parallel Universe

"Since the creation of the universe
 Everything was destined" 

Jimin's serendipity is playing in the background whilst Evie and I frantically tap on the five devices we have between us. Today is the day of BTS's concert in Seoul and after missing out on tickets during general sale we were determined to win this competition BIGHIT put out last minute. They are giving out 50 individual tickets to lucky winners who guess the lyrics right and upon hearing this news Evie and I immediately turned our dorm into operation BTS tickets. 

"AHHHHHH JESS!! I GOT IT!!! I WON!!!!!!!"

I cover my ears in pain after Evie screamed on top of her lungs as if she just won 1 million pounds. I quickly did a shushing motion to her afraid that someone is going to complain about our noise whilst desperately refreshing my emails hoping to get the same news as Evie. Of course with my luck, the news I'm waiting for never came. I let out a loud sigh and crashed down on the bed. 

"Sorry Jess, are you okay?" Evie sat on the edge of my bed with a worried and guilt look on her face.

I forced a smiled and said "why do you look so guilty? It's not like you stole my ticket."

It took me a good ten minutes to convince Evie that I'm really okay before she finally agreed to go take a shower and start getting ready. 

"I'm going to quickly pop down to the convenience store and then I'll come back and help you choose an outfit" I said as I start to put my shoes on. Evie gave me a wave in acknowledgment before disappearing into the bathroom. 

--------------

I finished my shopping rather quickly and looked at my watch. Knowing how slow Evie is, she probably haven't finished showering yet. With that in mind I decided to take a walk and to take my mind off not getting tickets. The more I walk around though the more upset I begin to feel and I can feel tears slowly b in my eyes. I chose to come to Seoul for a year abroad just so I can increase my chances of seeing BTS, yet I have missed my chance AGAIN. I sign and laugh a little at myself "I guess this is fate Jess, you're never going to see them, better accept it now."

Just as I am sulking I suddenly come across an unfamiliar shop that I have never encountered before even though I've walked these streets every day for the last six months. The large letters that spelt out 'MAGIC SHOP' catch my eyes immediately and stops me right in my tracks. 

"hmm I wonder what this new shop sells. Its hard not to connect magic shop with BTS, maybe the owner is an Army too?" 

 With that thought in mind I push the doors open and regret my decision almost immediately. The shop was incredibly small and darkly lit. The decorations were vintage looking and the shop had an eerie feeling. I shivered a little and hug myself tight before turning to leave. Whatever this shop is, it definitely have NOTHING to do with BTS.

"No one leaves my shop without me granting them a wish"

A quiet, low voice stops my movement and I turn around nervously. Standing in front of me was a small, old man who had long shoulder length hair squinting his eyes clearly judging me. I couldn't even tell whether he's Korean or not because of the dark room and his hair covering his face but judging by that one sentence he said to me he is definitely fluent in English. 

"I...I'm so..rry...what did you say?" I stuttered these few words out with all the courage I had and waited anxiously for a response. 

"Child, why do you think my shop is called 'Magic Shop?' Not everyone have eyes to see my shop but the few lucky ones that do gets a chance for a wish to be granted." The old man answers in the same low voice with more calmness than any man I have ever heard speak.

My fear ease a bit hearing his claim and I almost gave out a laughter. Who does this man think he is? Genie? pfft granting wishes ey? Even primary school kids don't come with stuff like that anymore. I decided to go along with his story thought just to see what more ridiculous things he is going to come up with.

"Oh? is that so? You can grant me ANYTHING?" I answer back with a tone of mockery.

The man seemed complete unbothered and replied "yes, anything you want. However, with a cost."

"A cost?" This is getting more interesting, I thought.

"Yes, child. You must know by this age that nothing in this world comes for free right?" Now is the man's turn to mock me. 

I get slightly annoyed by his tone and say "what sort of cost?"

"A painful cost, one that you will learn in the future"

"I-"

"So, tell me, what is your wish?" I was just about to say something when the man cuts me off. 

I stay quiet for a while evaluating whether to keep acting with this old man or just turn around and go. I decide to go with the former and say 

"my wish is to meet BTS". I laugh at myself for being so desperate and petty and expected the old man to mock me even more. 

unexpectedly he just stared at me almost as if he's looking in to my soul and nodded. At this very moment a large breeze flew through the windows and blew his hair away from his face. I gasped as I saw his eyes for the first time. The old man's eyes had a entire galaxy in them, bright and blinding. I close my eyes unintentionally unable to face the bright light. When I opened them again the wind has stopped and the old man...has disappeared. 

My heart drops and I rushed out the door in complete fear. I found the nearest bench and started to pant. "what...what did I just experience? Was it all just a dream? Who was that man and where did he go? Was he even human?" I begin to mutter to myself but was shortly interrupted by my phone ringing. 

*Evie*

"Shoot! How long was I in that creepy shop for? I was supposed to help Evie with her concert outfit." I tap my forehead in frustration and quickly pick up the phone.

"OMG! I am so sorry Evie!! I got caught up in...something. I'll be back soon I promise!" I rush to apologise but skipped the whole 'magic shop' encounter. It's not like I'm hiding it from Evie, it's just too weird to believe. I don't even believe it myself.

"Jessica you should be sorry! I have been waiting for my ramen for the past half an hour! your girl is going to die of hunger. You better treat me to something good for dinner." Evie pretend to be angry on the other side of the phone.

"...ramen?!" I am in complete confusion hearing what Evie just said. She never asked me to get ramen AND wasn't she waiting for me to help her choose an outfit?

"Wow best friend, is this your way of getting out of the situation bish? I asked you to buy ramen for me from the convenience store so we can watch Netflix together whilst eating!" Evie claims matter of factly. 

I get even more confused as I reply "watch Netflix with me?? So your not going to BTS anymore? BISH! better give me the ticket then!!" 

"what the hell are you talking about? BTS? tickets? Are you asking me if I've watched the behind the scenes of something?" Now it's Evie that sounds confused.

My heart sinks immediately as I start to get a bad feeling in my stomach. "Evie...do you know a group called Bangtan Sonyeondan?"

"Bangtan what?? Is that a new Kpop group? What is that name though pfffft" Evie laughs over the phone.

Me, on the other side, starts to panic real hard and quickly ushered a goodbye to Evie saying I'll be back soon. Clutching my phone in my hand I asked the nearest person I could find and asked "do you know BTS?"

They looked at me in utter confusion and shakes their head. The person seemed in their early twenties and considering the popularity of BTS, someone this age will definitely know them, especially in Korea. 

I start to type BTS in to the search engines and to my utter dismay nothing related to the seven boys came up. I feel my legs going weak as a quiet, low ominous voice echoes in my head

"But with a cost. A painful cost." 

"Umm...are you okay?" the creepy voice disappears and instead its replaced with a deep, soothing voice with concern. 

I realised that I'm now sat on the floor in the middle of the street. 

"uh..yeah sorry I'm f-" I hastily mutter out some words whilst looking up in embarrassment only to discover a face that was familiar yet strange. I didn't manage to get the whole sentence out as I sat staring at the face in front of me with my jaws wide open. 

Tanned face with glasses, long legs, deep voice and an aura that only Kim Namjoon possesses.