End

His Scents

It was summer and Haein was just sun bathing and reading some random magazines she found. 

 

Wearing her shades, she settled on her blanket that she had prepared for the trip. 

 

"hey. Haein ah come join us!" 

 

Her friend had insisted her to join them in the water ever since they arrived at the beach. They know she can't swim and joking around about it. 

 

"yah. Don't you know she can't swim. Her long legs is of no use. Hahah." 

 

She can't bear them to make fun of her anymore hence she decided to join them in the water. 

 

Since she's tall enough to stand even tho she can't swim so it's fine for her for the first few minutes. 

 

" hey come catch us. Swim here don't just stay still." said one of her friend Nati, while splashing water at Haein. 

 

They swim further than Haein so that she can catch up on them but she didn't. 

 

She decided to stay at the exact same spot for a while since if she go any further she can't stand on her feet anymore because the water level is deeper there.

 

"Haein ah. Let's play ball together. Come here. It's not that deep" 

 

"Fine. Wait. I'll join you guys" 

 

Haein walked towards them and since she doesn't swim she had to step on the seaweed and be careful on her step.

 

Haein was never lucky, her feet got tangled in a seaweed. She seems can't escape it and loses her balance and fall in the water. Sea water entered her nose and she struggled to rise back to the surface. 

 

"yah. How come you fell." Nate wanted to help Haein but Ahra, her other colleagues stopped her from to do so. 

 

"Let her be. Who knows she can learn to swim after this" 

 

Nate hesitated but Ahra blocked her from helping Haein so no one helped her. Some of them were laughing looking at Haein. 

 

 

Haein was struggling to make herself keep floating or atleast held her heads higher than the water level. What she can only see was her so called friends standing not to far from her watching her while laughing.

 

"Its not that deep. Just swim backs here. "

 

Haein finally released her feet from the seaweed but panicked was overwhelming her. Her body felt stiff and she can't move. The waves began to pulls her away from the shores and she falls back into the water. More water enters her nose and mouth. She still had no idea what to do. She close her eyes hoping this was all just a dream and everything will end soon. 

 

Until she felt someone pulling her out of the water

 

Stupid

 

She wants to looks up and see the person whose helping her but she can't manage to open her eyes and her body is too weak to do anything. 

 

 

But she can hear clearly that the man is cursing her 'friends' under his breath. 

 

She felt her body is placed on the sand. Yes finally, no water. He lifted her chin slightly so that the airways wasn't blocked. She could feel her chest beings compressed. He's performing CPR. 

 

After a few times he repeated the chest compression. Her eyes shot open and she coughed out all the water that had entered her body. 

 

Haein could see her friends running toward her and there's a man sat beside her, panting ran out of breath. Tired saving her and doing CPR and everything just to save her life. 

 

 

Haein is one of the well known students in her nursing school. First of all she has good grades. So everyone would love to have group projects with her so that they got higher marks too. Even though other students doesn't help her with the works but she was pleased to do everything because she really enjoyed studying and doing the school works. 

 

But nobody's perfect. Haein can't smell anything. She doesn't remember since when she has lost the ability to smell but till now she can't smell anything. Her life is scent less. 

 

When Haein and her classmates went out for meal she can't relate when they said the smell of the smokey Korean beef was heavenly. 

 

For her everything is tastesles and odourless. So everytime she eats just because she doesn't want to starve. Not because it's tasty.

 

Sometimes when they went shopping for perfume or testing out any products and comparing the scent they asked for her opinion because she was there but then

 

"oops sorry. Forgot that you can't smell. Hahaha" 

 

However she doesn't mind that at all. It's not a crime that she can't smell anything. 

 

But when someone receives flowers and saying that the smell was divine. She can't help but felt jealous. She wishes she could smell it too. 

 

She wants to have an ability to smell too. 

 

 

Her life was scent less, until just now. 

 

 

Haein could sense something different about her. She can feel something or more precisely. She can smell something. A hint of muguet, green apples and melon meets. 

 

There's also a notes of sandalwood and peach for a scent. It is as relaxing as listening to ocean waves crash. She thought maybe its the smell of the ocean. 

 

But nope. She had smelled this scent before. Its a scent of someone she knew. But she had forgot it for a long time. She felt like crying. Fragments of memories came flashing through her minds but she can't pinpoint what is it. 

 

She doesn't realise for how long she have been straddling the man just to smell him better. At a close proximity. 

 

“are you crazy?" Haein already placed her nose closer to his neck by the time he pushed her away roughly. 

 

She finally snapped back to reality and took a closer look at the man that had saved her life. He was wearing a blue swimsuit. His locks were long that he had to push her bangs away or else it will cover his eyes. 

 

He looks really familiar. As if she had met him before. She was certain that she had smell this scent before. 

 

“Can i, smell you?”

 

He chuckled before throwing her a smirk. 

 

"I didn't know that I was that handsome till you felt like eating me." he said and laughed some more. 

 

What a jerk. 

 

Haein let out a sigh. She thought maybe she was just imagining the smell. Maybe It wasn't real. 

 

 

“thank you, for saving my life” she said before standing up and leaves him. 

 

 

He just saw her walking away before his smiles falters. 

 

 

“i promised myself not to help or care for other people, but why the hell did i help you?”

 

 

... 

 

 

That night Haein had a dream. 

 

She was around 7 years old. Her family was having a vacation. Since they know how much Haein loves sea. They decide to have a vacation at a beach not far from their house. 

 

The weather started to turn black indicating rain going to start pouring any seconds now. 

 

"Haein-ah come out of the water it's gonna rain soon" her mother called her trying to get her out of the water.

 

"5 more minutes!" she yelled back and continue playing

 

When she finally decided to go home rain had started pouring. Haein swim faster because the waves suddenly becomes more rough and water level raise higher. As she was swimming she felt her legs having muscle cramps. She can't continue swimming, lose her balance and sink into the water. 

 

She could see her parents screaming calling her name when they can't see her anywhere. She wants to shout back telling them her whereabout but she still having difficulty to floats back to the surface. 

 

The waves brought her away from the shore and she was beginning to lose hope. 

 

Before she saw a man swimming towards her. 

 

From the rain drops she can vividly see the man's face. He reached for her body and carried her in his back. She rested his head on his body

 

 

But few meters from the shore he stopped swimming. 

 

“What’s wrong?” young Haein weakly asked.

 

Worries plastered all over his face. 

 

“Nothing, can you swim?” he asked. 

 

Haein shooked her head, her feet still felt stiff and her body felt weak after struggling to swim for a while. 

 

He take off his safety jacket and put it on her. 

 

"please be safe" he said one last time before pushing her to the shore. 

 

She was brought by waves to the land. 

 

She does not know what happened or what's wrong with him before she saw he was hitted by a big, strong wave and she passed out. 

 

.... 

 

 

“why did i dream of that guy?”

Haein was having her morning coffee by the kitchen island when she suddenly recalls her dreams last night. 

 

The weird thing is, she can remember only one thing. His scent. Even in her dreams she knows his scents. 

She knows it wasn't just a dream. It's her memories. The one she buried too deep that she had almost forgot about it. 

 

She entered her bedroom and searched for something in the drawer of her end tables. She took out a piece of newspaper headline. 

 

'GIRL SAVE FROM DROWN , RESCUER NOT FOUND ' 

 

She takes a closer look of her 7 years old self in the newspaper article. Surprisingly there's also a picture of the man who saved her. 

 

'Nakamoto Kaito' 

 

It's been 15 years and he hasn't yet to be found. His family must be devastated of the news.

 

Haein wondered does his family already move on from the incident. 

 

Only one thing Haein is sure now that her rescuer face looks similar to the guy who just saved her yesterday. 

 

... 

 

Since then, Haein was restless. She wants to know the identity of the person who saved her when she was 7 years old and that day at the beach. Was it the same person? Are they related? 

 

“earth to nurse Lee" Dr Jung brings Haein back to reality. She was standing by the counter. Ready when any doctor need her assistance. 

 

"we got patient with wound on his shoulder. Probably need some stitches and I assigned you to him. Bed 21" Dr Jung gives out his order while he needs to attend to other serious patient. 

 

"alright Doc." Haein nodded and quickly walked to the said bed. 

 

As she approaches the bed he saw a guy groaning in pain with an arrow stucked on his shoulder. It's the person that save her that day. 

 

Looks like fate brought them to meet again. 

 

Haein took a glance at the board reading his names. 

 

“Na Yuta” she muttered it to herself. 

 

"could you please take out this arrow now? It hurts" said Yuta pointing at the arrow. 

 

Haein put down the the files and treated him. 

 

Every time she stands close to him the scent gets stronger. She knows Yuta must've had the connection with the guy form 15 years ago. 

 

 

Because they have the same scent. 

 

 

......

 

Two days later Yuta can be discharge from the hospital. Haein was heading out of the hospital after her night shift. They met at the lobby. 

 

 

“Yuta-“ Haein calls out his name. he stopped walking and turns to see her. 

 

 

“why? you want to smell me again?” asked Yuta showing off his signature smirk. 

 

Haein was embarrassed remembering when she was caught trying to smell him again when he was sleeping few days ago. 

 

She was just scooting closer to smell him but Yuta suddenly wakes up and shove her head away. 

 

She was shocked to be caught red handed trying to smell him again after at the beach. So she quickly left when Yuta had woke up. 

 

 

“i can explain-“ her words however were cut short by Yuta 

 

“you like me right? okay let’s go on a date” said Yuta, smiling. 

 

 

...

 

 

That night they went for a date. 

 

Actually Yuta also have feelings for Haein when he saw Haein was playing with a puppy at the beach. He also saw the whole situation with her friends. How her friends treated her badly and forced her to enter the water. 

 

 

Yuta watch the whole incident when she was drowning. 

 

"the truth is. I want to explain about the incident”

 

" oh you mean your friends? Yeah I think you should find new friends too." yuta was clueless as to what Haein was about to say. 

 

" that I can't deny. But there's something you need to know too."

 

Haein took out the newspaper headline that she had kept and showed it to yuta.

 

Yuta facial expression changed.

 

He reads the headlines and look at the picture of a 7 year old girl. 

 

'Lee Haein' 

 

“so you are- that girl?” asked Yuta looking at Haein. Cold sweats forming on his forehead. His throat suddenly felt dry and having a difficulty to breath. 

 

 

Yuta still can remember it clearly in his mind how his brother Kaito was nowhere to be found after saving a life 7 years old girl 15 years ago. 

 

Yuta was 10. They were playing tags at the beach when it suddenly raining heavily. 

 

"Hyung! Let's go home. Mom and dad will be mad if we catch a cold." Yuta already wanted to sprint home with Kaito before he sees Kaito's attention had diverted into a different direction. 

 

 

“Yuta, go home first. I'll be home later. " said Kaito reaching for a safety jacket and runs towards a couple who's screaming for help. 

 

Yuta stands there. Under the tree while it's raining heavily. Waited for Kaito to come back

 

but he didn't. 

 

 

.... 

 

Yuta immediately stands up heading out of the restaurant he's currently dining. Walked out in the middle of having a date with Haein. 

 

“Why did i always do the same things like you?”

 

Yuta learn archery because of Kaito

 

He played soccer because of Kaito,

 

He always comes to Korea for a holiday because Kaito always likes it here. 

 

A drop of tear fell. 

 

He really love his brother to the level he's learning and loving each things his brother loves to do. 

 

But when it comes to this one thing he doesn't want to follow his brother step.

 

Kaito loves to help people in need.

 

Yuta used to think it was a pleasant thing to do but everything changed after the incident.

 

He lost Kaito because of he being too nice. 

 

Since then, Yuta started to became selfish. 

 

Yuta laughed at himself. 

 

“so now i followed you to save the same girl? but why didn’t i DIE?” he asked himself. 

 

... 

 

 

He really wants to distance himself from Haein but fate made them closer. 

 

A week after their 'date' his wounds reopen and he got an infection on it. 

 

Yuta need to be admitted to the hospital in order to monitor his wounds properly this time and makes sure he recovers. 

 

Haein once again was assigned to him. To do the dressing and makes sure he takes the medications, antibiotics and stuff. 

 

 

Things get awkward after Haein told him about the incident. Yuta doesn't want to talk much about it too because he still hates Haein for making him lose his brother. 

 

Haein does not know how to express her feeling. 

 

To tell him that she was thankful and willing to do anything to repay his brother's kindness. She wanted to show her gratitude for him for everything he had done for her. But how? 

 

Everytime she wants to have a conversation with yuta. He always avoided it and chose not to say anything to her. 

 

For two days Yuta had stayed at hospital. Haein never had a chance to say anything to him. 

 

But fate always had plans for them. 

 

Few weeks later, Haein was walking home from work before she saw a group of childrens were hit by a van. 

 

She doesn't know this but one of the childrens was Na Jaemin, Yuta's younger brother.

 

 

.......

 

"Doctor, how's my brother?" 

 

Yuta had waited in front of the operation room for 3 hours. He got a call from the police station saying his brother had involved in an accident and is currently receiving treatment at Kkum University Hospital. The hospital where he had been receiving treatment when he was injured. The hospital where Haein works. 

 

 

His face clearly showed how much he's worried of Jaemins condition and he cried at the thought of losing his only brother. 

 

 

Few years after they lost Kaito. Jaemin was born. Yuta only has Jaemin by his side. For 15 years Jaemin had been accompanying him. 

 

Jaemin is his Ray of sunshine. If he lost Jaemin his life would turn black and gloomy once again. 

 

"Na Jaemin is stable now. He is lucky to be brought here quickly. Don't worry. Jaemin will be alright."

 

 

The other kids only have mild injuries while Jaemin has rib fractures and close head injury. 

 

Yuta sat beside Jaemin's bed and caress his cheek. A little bruise and bandage wrapped on his head. Jaemin hasn't gain his consciousness and still in anesthesia induced sleep. 

 

Yuta saw Haein running in his direction. 

 

"before I forget. Remember nurse Lee? She was the one who reported the accident and called the ambulance. She's currently at the police station." said Dr. Jung the doctor in charge at the emergency room and treated Jaemin. 

 

“how’s Jaemin?” Haein looks worried and tired. She just ran to the hospital to check on the kids after giving testimonials at the police station as she was the only eye witness of the whole accident. 

 

She stands there besides Yuta. Seeing Jaemin stable condition makes her calm a little. 

 

Yuta didn't say anything and hugged Haein tightly. 

 

“thank you”