vain

vain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If it were up to Momo, she wished love never existed.

 

 

 

They say love is the most beautiful thing, unless it’s unrequited.

 

 

Momo had caught some feelings along her journey in becoming the biggest girl group in Asia. She hadn’t really expected it, but she and Mina became close. Really close in her opinion. Though, she and Chaeyoung were close as well, with Mina, it was different. There was something about the way she interacted with Momo, she had always clung onto her, in fansigns, at the airport, during V Lives, interviews, even at the dorm. Momo had hoped that Mina feels the same, but here she is, in the bathroom coughing up petals of daisies.

 

She quickly flushed the toilet, getting rid of the daisy petals, hoping that no one would ever find out of what’s going on with her. Damn, this hanahaki disease, she said to herself. And, damn these feelings.

 

 

Tears were about to fall from her eyes, when a knock on the door startled her.

 

 

“Momo-unnie?”

 

 

“A-ah, yes, who is it?” she knew it was Chaeyoung, but she needed to compose herself before she opened the door.

 

 

“It’s your favourite person, ever,” she chuckled, opening the door to let herself in. “Are you okay?”

 

 

“Y-yeah,” No, I’m not. Knowing the person I’m falling for will never feel the same. Her chest tightens.

 

 

She sighed. “No you’re not. Tell me what’s wrong.”

 

 

But, before Momo could answer, she coughed. Petals of daisies scattered all over the bathroom floor. Chaeyoung's eyes widened, so she quickly closed the door behind her and almost let out a shriek.

 

 

“Chae! Please don’t tell the others!” Momo said, panicking, picking up the petals. “I’m okay, really.”

 

 

“No, you're not! I've read about hanahaki disease. We should tell our manager quickly! Or, maybe tell Jihyo-unnie, yeah let's tell her. You could die from this!”

 

 

Momo hugged her. "You're worried, I know. I'm going to be okay, trust me."

 

 

"Stop being stubborn, Momo-unnie!" Chaeyoung was crying. "I don't want you to die! Please, let's just-"

 

 

"No, Chae. I said I'm fine," Momo hugged her tighter. "I can handle it. It's just some damn feelings; it will pass soon."

 

 

“Alright,” Chaeyoung sighed in defeat. She can't fight Momo even if she wanted to; she's too soft for her. “But if it gets worse, I’m telling.”

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

A quiet evening in the dorm and as usual, Chaeyoung and Momo were together in their room. They were watching The End of the F***king World, munching on some potato chips with cans of soda to wash it down.

 

 

“It’s Mina-unnie, isn’t it?” Chaeyoung suddenly asked, and Momo nodded. “I could tell. You were really close especially back in our trainee days.”

 

 

“Not anymore,” Momo said, sadly, her chest tightens. “It ; she’s been so distant with me lately.”

 

 

"Since when?"

 

 

"Ever since we started MoChaeng TV."

 

 

Momo coughed for the first time today, their laps filled with petals of daisies. Chaeyoung stood up immediately, telling her that it was getting worse and that they should tell Jihyo immediately. Momo being stubborn, she refused.

 

 

“I heard surgery isn’t bad. The feelings will disappear if you have them removed.”

 

 

“No, please, Chae,” she pleaded as her chest tightens even more. “Just one more day. If I cough again, alright, we’ll tell Jihyo. Now turn off the lights and help me get rid of these petals before anyone else sees.”

 

 

Chaeyoung obliged, of course she hesitated because this was getting bad, she wanted Momo to get better, but at the same time she just wanted to do whatever Momo pleases.

 

 

Unexpectedly, Sana went in their room, curious on what was the commotion all about, she the lights, shocked expressions were plastered all over their faces, then she screamed, which startled the other members. Jihyo came into the room, panting, and they ended up taking Momo to the hospital.

 

 

“I’m fine, guys,” Momo whined. “I won’t die from this.”

 

 

“Unless that person reciprocates your feelings, you won't," Jihyo sighed, and Momo coughed up again. “Momoring, love is inevitable…”

 

 

“So is death,” she chuckled, which made Dahyun smack Momo on the head. “Ow! I’m just saying! I would rather die than let these feelings fade away.”

 

 

“We prefer the latter,” Jihyo said, firmly.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Momo never liked the smell of hospitals; it made her think about death. The surgery went well, although she needed to be confined in the hospital for a week or two in order for her to heal. Promotions for their upcoming album were pushed back, because the doctor said that she should take it smoothly, which means no stress and work for a while.

 

Chaeyoung decided to stay by her side, while the rest went back to get some food and clothes.

 

 

“How are you feeling?” Chaeyoung asked.

 

 

“Nothing,” Momo answered, truthfully. “I mean, the feelings, they're gone.”

 

 

“That’s good.” Chaeyoung hummed. "Can I ask something?"

 

 

"Shoot."

 

 

"If someone was in love with you, what would they cough up?"

 

 

"I don't wish this on anyone," Momo shivered at the thought. "Chocolate cosmos, maybe?"

 

 

Chaeyoung hummed in response, not knowing what to say. "It's quite unfair, right? All we ever wanted for that person is to feel love, but this is what we get in return; hanahaki."

 

 

The night went on. Chaeyoung was talkative which is why Momo likes her as a friend, on the other hand, Momo was a great listener which made Chaeyoung want to talk even more. She feels very happy sharing her interests with Momo, she was like Chaeyoung’s human diary. After an abrupt silence, Chaeyoung began to speak, again.

 

“I’m sorry,”

 

 

Momo raised her eyebrow in confusion. “For what?”

 

 

“For this,” Chaeyoung got up from the visitors’ seat, and kissed her. She didn’t know if she would keep going or not, because Momo was not responding. As if Momo read her thoughts, she began to reciprocate. The kiss was innocent, but sweet, you could tell Chaeyoung was anticipating this moment.

 

 

"You know," Chaeyoung said as they pulled away. "That was my first kiss."

 

 

"O-oh," Momo blushed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter