End

Elevator

Jongwoon stepped into the elevator, a small plastic bag in his hand.

 

"Hey! Wait for me!"

 

Jongwoon pressed the hold button as the other man ran into the elevator. The man murmured 'thanks' to Jongwoon and nodded his head at him. Jongwoon pressed the number 4 button while the other man pressed the number 13 button. They waited quietly for the elevator to take them to their floors. Both of them had their eyes on the button panel where the red number slowly changing.

 

 

Floor 1...

Floor 2...

Floor 2...

Floor 2...

Floor 2...

Floor 2...

Floor 2...

 

 

After staring at number 2 on the panel for a few minutes, Jongwoon was the first to break the silence.

 

"Weird, I don't remember the distance between floor two and floor three being this far?"

"Unless we're suddenly taken to another dimension, I think the elevator is probably stuck."

 

The other man said as he pressed the 'call' button on the panel. In less than a minute, a cheerful voice came out of a speaker above the panel.

 

"Lee Donghae, as your service!"

"Help, I'm stuck in the elevator with another man."

"Isn't that Kyuhyun voice? And what do you mean by that? Who is the other man?"

"It's me, Hae-ah,"

"Jongwoon hyung! I know that Kyuhyun just got off his work, but what're you doing in this late hour hyung?"

"I couldn't sleep so I went to buy some snack, but that isn't the point now, Hae-ah, get us out of here."

"Well... Sorry hyung, Kyuhyun, but I think you have to wait at least one hour before I can get you guys out... You see, Hyukjae is currently checking and maintaining the elevator system. That's why we cut off the power to prevent any accident. But don't worry! The reserved power is enough to provide you light and ventilation in the elevator! So you only have to wait until Hyukjae is done with his maintenance!"

"You have maintenance yet you didn't tell your tenants about it?"

"Pretty sure that I've already put a written notice on the board this morning. Kyuhyun, you didn't see it?"

"No, I was in a hurry this morning so I didn't check the board."

"...I think I saw it but completely forget about it."

"Hahaha! As expected of Jongwoon hyung! Anyway, just be patient and we'll get you out in no time. Don't do anything inappropriate though! Don't forget that the surveillance camera is still working!"

"..."

"..."

 

Donghae's silly warning made the air between them getting more awkward. Jongwoon pretended to watch the ceiling as Kyuhyun ended the call with a curse. They stood at the farthest corners opposite of each other, pretending that Donghae didn't say any weird stuff.

 

 

Five minutes had passed when Jongwoon broke the silence again.

 

"So... Tough day, huh?"

"Yeah, annoying customers and boring works. You?"

"So-so,"

"I see..."

"..."

"..."

 

 

Another five minutes had passed when Jongwoon broke the silence yet again.

 

"Kyuhyun, right? Nice to meet you, I'm Jongwoon."

"Nice to meet you too, although it'd be better if we didn't meet in such circumstances."

"Couldn't agree more, hahaha,"

"Hahaha,"

"..."

"..."

 

 

In another five minutes, Jongwoon spoke up again.

 

"Do you thi-"

"You're quite a talkative man, aren't you?"

"Sorry for trying to be a friendly neighbor, I guess?"

"I was just kidding. What were you saying again?"

"I said, do you think we'll get out of here in one hour like Donghae said?"

"It depends, if Hyukjae knew that we're stuck in here then yes, we'll get out in one hour. However, if Donghae didn't tell Hyukjae then he'll probably take his time checking the system while doing something else at the same time."

"Ha, exactly my thought."

"Well, yeah, it's a piece of cake to guess that."

"..."

"..."

 

 

 

Another five minutes had passed when Kyuhyun spoke up, much to Jongwoon's surprise.

 

"Wanna play a game?"

"I guess it's better than doing nothing and get bored to death. What game?"

"Just an ordinary rock paper scissors, but the winner gets to ask the loser a question. Since we'll be stuck in here together for a while, might as well get to know each other more, right?"

"Good idea, come, Kai-Bai-Bo!"

"Alright, I win, so what is your occupation?"

"A freelance photographer. Kai-Bai-Bo! Yours?"

"I'm a senior accountant, Bo!"

"Ok, I win, how old are you?"

"Just turn 31. Kai-Bai-Bo! And you? How old are you?"

"35, so you have to call me hyung now. Kai-Bai-Bo! Tsk, I lose."

"I'm curious about what Donghae said. What're you doing in this late hours and why did that surprise him?"

"Isn't that two questions? Whatever, I usually go to bed early so I did surprise Donghae tonight."

"I see... So that's the reason why I have never seen you before even though we live in the same building."

"Yeah, we live a totally opposite lifestyle. I guess there's still a bright side of us being stuck in here, haha! Next! Bo! Tsk, I lose again."

"Anything you like?"

"Such a board question, anyway, I like taking photos if that isn't obvious enough, I like coffee, I like movies and has a proud collection of them. I also like turtles! They're such a cool creature!"

 

As Jongwoon said that, he noticed the way Kyuhyun stared at him, his eyes soft and gentle. It made him felt slightly giddy but he quickly shoved it out of his mind.

 

 

 

Before long, one hour had already passed. By that time both Jongwoon and Kyuhyun got to know each other enough to no longer feel awkward. They even moved out of their corners and sat side by side leaning their backs on the wall. Kyuhyun stood up after looking at his wristwatch and went to the button panel.

 

"Hi, Kyuhyun, Jongwoon hyung, are you good?"

"One hour has already passed."

"Oh, you're right. How time flies! Sadly, I have nothing but bad news for you guys..."

"What do you mean, Hae-ah?"

"Hyung, I'm super duper sorry! But something came up during the maintenance and now Hyukjae has to extend the time..."

"Are you kidding us? It's one in the morning now! I'm tired, sleepy, and cold!"

"To be honest, it's hyung's fault for going out on the night of December only in shirt and sweatpants."

"Hey! How should I know that I'll be stuck in the elevator!"

 

As soon as Jongwoon said that, he felt a sudden weight on his shoulders. Turned out Kyuhyun took off his coat and draped it on his shoulders. Again, Jongwoon felt a weird giddy feeling in his chest, his heart also speeding up. While Jongwoon was busy trying to calm his heart down, Kyuhyun had already ended the call with Donghae.

 

"Donghae hyung said that he and Hyukjae hyung will hurry it up and get us out within the next hour."

"Urgh, I hope so, don't wanna spend a night in this cold metal box. By the way, Kyuhyun..."

"Yes, hyung?"

"Thank you for this coat. But are you sure you want to lend it to me? What about you?"

"I'm fine. You seem to need it more than me anyway."

 

Kyuhyun shrugged as if to show that it was no big deal. However, Jongwoon still noticed that the younger man was shivering, albeit very subtle. Feeling both guilty and worried, Jongwoon gathered his courage and suggested something very daring.

 

"You know what, why don't we share it together? I think it's big enough to cover both of us."

"Wouldn't that make you feel uncomfortable? We barely know each other after all."

"Well, I can't being selfish and have the coat all myself."

"Actually you can. Your old and brittle bones can't stand against coldness, right?"

"Yah! I'm not that old! Aish, just shut up and come sit with me!"

 

Kyuhyun chuckled and obediently sat down beside the older man. Jongwoon spread the coat on them. True to his words, the coat was big enough to cover both of them, although they had to sit really close for the coat to do that. With their shoulders and thighs pressing against one another, combining with the coat on them, both men didn't feel cold anymore. In fact, they were so comfortable that Kyuhyun began to yawn while Jongwoon rubbed his eyes. Although they were very sleepy, they knew it wasn't the right place or time to sleep. In order to not doze off, they decided to continue chatting.

 

 

 

How did I end up in this situation?

 

Jongwoon sighed as he internally mourned his numb shoulder and arm. Right now, Kyuhyun had already fallen asleep using his shoulder as a pillow. The younger man dozed off while Jongwoon was telling him about his favorite movie. Sure, he didn't mind lending his shoulder for a while. It was their seating position that made him felt a bit embarrassed. Kyuhyun's right hand was hugging Jongwoon's waist from behind, while his left hand holding Jongwoon's hand firmly. After Kyuhyun found out about his small hands, the younger man wouldn't stop teasing him about them and insisted on holding them, saying that they were very cute. He refused to let Jongwoon's hand go even when he had fallen asleep, and Jongwoon didn't have the heart to disturb the sleeping man so he just let them be. He looked up at the ceiling. His mind wandered off as he thought of tonight's events: uncharacteristically going out in the late-night, meeting Kyuhyun, being stuck in the elevator, getting to know him, feeling more at ease with him to the point of sitting so close like this...

 

Maybe, just maybe, but if it's Kyuhyun, then I don't mind being stuck in here for a bit lon-

 

 

 

""D and E to the rescue!""

 

A loud noise from the other side of the door startled Jongwoon and woke Kyuhyun up. Suddenly, the metal door opened revealing a smiling Hyukjae and beaming Donghae. Their rescuers sighed in relief finding them being alright. However, they soon smirked knowingly seeing Jongwoon and Kyuhyun current position. Jongwoon's face instantly heated up while Kyuhyun snarled irritatedly at the duo. He ignored them and went back to sleep on Jongwoon's shoulder while hugging him tighter. Kyuhyun's spoiled action made Jongwoon felt even embarrassed that he didn't dare to look at either Donghae or Hyukjae.

 

"Sorry for disturbing your sweet precious moment, we just want to inform you that the elevator will be back to work now." Hyukjae explained, his smirk still presented on his face.

"Why don't you go to either of your room if you aren't satisfied with times spending together yet?"

 

Donghae laughed happily as he hid behind Hyukjae to avoid Jongwoon's death glare. Hyukjae didn't stop his partner but he also didn't tease the older man any further, seeing that Jongwoon was already as red as a tomato. The duo then wished them goodnight (and good luck from Donghae) as the door slowly closed. Kyuhyun groaned and lazily stretched himself before standing up. After helping to pull Jongwoon up, he pressed the number 13 button and waited patiently as the elevator slowly moved. Jongwoon hid a pang of disappointment as he reached his hand out to press the number 4 button.

 

...Only for Kyuhyun to grab his hand midway to the panel.

 

"What're you doing hyung?"

"I should be the one who asks that! No! It's already past my floor! Great, now I have to waste my time riding the elevator down."

"What nonsense thing you keep blabbing about hyung? You know that you're going to spend a night in my room, right?"

"...What?"

"I'll be honest, after that short nap, I don't think I'll be able to sleep without you now, Jongwoon hyung. Still, I don't want to force you even though I sounded very demanding just now. If all of this makes you feel uncomfortable then you're free to turn me down."

 

As he said that, the elevator came to stop on the 13 floors. Kyuhyun stepped out first. He turned around to look at Jongwoon, his hand reaching out.

 

"Well? Will you go with me?"

 

Jongwoon stared at the outstretching hand. Then, slowly but surely, he also reached his hand out and placed it on Kyuhyun's hand. He stepped out of the elevator to stand beside Kyuhyun. They smiled at each other before walking down the hallway to Kyuhyun's room, their hands intertwining together.

 

 

 

Being stuck in the elevator isn't actually that bad.

 

****************************************

 

At the control room.

 

"So they did spend a night together, ha, I know it! I told you that they would look good together!"

 

Donghae said proudly as he pointed at one of the monitors that had Kyuhyun reaching his hand out to Jongwoon.

 

"Is that the reason why you lied to them despite I had already finished the maintenance within the first hour? So that they have to spend more time together? You're evil, Lee Donghae."

 

Hyukjae shook his head, feeling disbelief as to how his partner could be this scheming.

 

"I prefer genius than that but whatever, I just have to pair them up together since they look like they'll make a great couple. Most importantly, both of them are already in their thirties yet they're still single! How miserable is that! As Jongwoon hyung's cute dongsaeng and Kyuhyun's cool hyung, I have to help them! Actually, I was planning to introduce them to one another this weekend. Who knows fate will have other plan and make them stuck in the elevator together."

 

Donghae smiled brightly as he watched the (soon to be) couple walking hand in hand down the hallway. Although Hyukjae still shook his head at Donghae, his gaze softened as he looked at the monitor.

 

"Well, then we had better make sure that Jongwoon hyung won't ever find out. It'd be a shame if one of us were to die before our eighty-nine dates."

"It's alright. If he did find out and came here to get his revenge, we can just trap him in the elevator with Kyuhyun again."

 

Donghae smirked.