Final

Tooth Fairy

“Hmm, these cookies are the best. Especially that double chocolate ones with macadamia nuts in them. Yum!” Little Hyejoo was the corners of her lips while savoring every bite of the cookies in the bag that she was holding. 

 

“Olivia, those cookies are sold out for today, you want more cookies this weekend?” Her mum shuffled her hair softly.

 

“Okay!”

 

If there’s one thing Hyejoo can’t refuse, it’s definitely cookies. No matter what shape or size they take the forms in, she can never reject them. Until one night…

 

---

 

“Mummy, my teeth are aching.”

 

“I think you had too many cookies, that’s why. Let’s go see the doctor tomorrow, dear.”

 

“Will I never get to eat cookies anymore?” Hyejoo was on the verge of tears.

 

“You can still eat it, but not during this time when your teeth are aching. I promise everything will be fine, alright?”

 

---

 

“It seems like her baby teeth are falling out for both reasons. One is her coming-of-age, and the other is eating too many crunchy foods. Anything of that sort?” The dentist talked to the young mother after checking up on the girl’s teeth.

 

“Yes, she’s pretty obsessed with cookies lately.”

 

“Ah, that must be it. But the tooth is shaking pretty hard, it should be falling off pretty soon.”

 

“Thanks, mister!” Hyejoo waved goodbye to the doctor as she left the clinic with her mother. 

 

---

 

“One tooth down, and there’s another one on today’s list.” The tooth fairy flew around the residential area to check for any surprise leftovers that wasn’t added on the list when she left her house. 

 

“Hmm, that’s it. On to my next destination, Valcreek Avenue.”

 

The fairy then flew to the little girl’s house and was quite disturbed by how the lights were still on.

 

“How am I supposed to collect the tooth when she’s still awake?” The fairy checked the profile whose tooth is supposed to be taken away this night.

 

“Whatever, let me just go take a closer look so I can decide whether to ditch this job or not.” 

 

---

 

“You know, darling. You have to switch off the lights so you can get something from the tooth fairy, like money!” The mother hastily put the little girl to bed. 

 

“But I don’t want money, I want cookies!!” She wailed in bed, not willing to retire yet.

 

“You can use the money to get cookies. Now be a good girl and go to sleep kay?”

 

“Hmmph!” 

 

---

 

“So this girl likes cookies huh… Is that why her teeth are dropping?” The fairy almost cracked an audible laugh when she noticed the parent leaving the room. 

 

“Alright kiddo, give me your tooth. Don’t you dare hide it.” The fairy flew close to the little girl and whispered to her ear.

 

“Who are you?” The girl turned to face a fairy dressed in green waving a wand at her. 

 

“I’m who you call a tooth fairy. And I’m here to do my job and collect your tooth. Don’t delay my work hours, please. Now be a good girl and hand over what I want.”

 

“I don’t have it.”

 

“What? But my list here states your name, so it’s clear that you have a loose tooth somewhere around you.”

 

“Then go find it.”

 

“I can’t lift up things heavier than me.”

 

“What if I give you my tooth, what do I get?”

 

“You get money, like a penny or two, if you’re nice. If not, you get nothing.”

 

“...”

 

“Are you ignoring me now? Continue this and you’ll really get nothing.” The fairy tapped her wand on the nearby cabinet impatiently.

 

“I don’t want money, I want cookies.”

 

Seeing how the little girl won’t budge for the next 10 minutes, the fairy gave in and summoned an edible cookie in front of the girl.

 

“You want this, right? Now, can I have th-”

 

“Yayy cookie!! Here you go, as promised.” The girl quickly stuffed the plain cookie into without questions and munched on it while watching the tooth fairy keep her tooth in her small bag. 

 

“So when can I get a free cookie from you next time?” The little girl asked excitedly as she finished on the last cookie crumbs. 

 

“You won’t see me anymore, technically. Children only encounter me once in their lifetime. So it’s been a nice meeting with you, but I have to go now.”

 

“But you’re a nice person.. With wings.” Hyejoo was about to cry for the second time in the night.

 

“..Maybe you’ll get to see me when you’re nice.” The fairy rubbed her chin.

 

“Then can I have your name so that I can call you the next time we meet?”

 

“It’s Chae-won, but feel free to call me Go-won, since I’m one of the classiest fairies out there.” 

 

“Okay, Go-wonnie.”

 

“Have sweet dreams, dear.” The fairy then tucked the girl under her blankets before flying back to her house. 

 

---

 

“Was I being too harsh on her just now? She really looked like she was about to cry when I scolded her for not being cooperative.” The fairy pondered. 

 

“Whatever, at least my job’s done for tonight.” She smiled as she turned her head back to the room of the little girl.