001

Reverse-Changeling [Title Pending]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

 

A figure darted out from the shadows, peering from side to side. Seeing that there was nothing in sight, the figure motioned behind them, and another figure stepped from the shadows. This figure glanced behind them at the ring of trees they had emerged from, a gleeful smirk coming to their face. It was just reaching dawn, thin tendrils of color slowly making their way along the horizon, and soon any trace of them would disappear along with the night as the sun rose. The first had a bag strapped to their back, long, thin shapes barely visible through the clothes. The second also had a bag, but it was much bulkier, and the top was open, clearly intentional. The dirt road that they had emerged onto was still damp, it having rained just hours before, so they both took care to cover their tracks as they followed it until it ran into a larger, cement road. It wasn’t long before they reached the first signs of civilization: a bus stop. They stood at the bus stop for no longer than three minutes before a van pulled up to the stop. Both jumped in, and it rolled away, taking away any signs that someone had passed through the area beyond the subtle smell of gasoline.

 

In the distance, if one listened carefully and had the ears to hear, an angry wail could be heard coming from the forest.

 

One year later

 

“Hyori, he needs to be put to sleep,” Sungwoo hissed urgently to his sister, who was carrying a wailing infant boy.

 

“Well do you want to hold him and make him shut up instead? I’m sure it would make GREAT practice for your future family,” the woman bit back. 

 

Sungwoo let out a huff. “Don’t bring up Sunja, it’s already hard enough explaining to her why we’re raising a kid between us.” Sunja was his girlfriend of four years now, and he was ready to propose.

 

Hyori, on the other hand, had no such ties. She’d maintained that the single life was the best life, and she was determined to live it to the fullest. However, raising a child with her brother had not been something she’d counted on.

 

“You already told her why we’re raising Minki instead of his parents, so if she doesn’t like that, then maybe it’s time to rethink things?” she said, an eyebrow raised in question. She’d never had a good opinion of Sunja, but that was more because she barely knew the woman her brother was dating.

 

“She’ll be fine, stop pestering me,” he replied sharply. The baby’s cries had died down, but he was clearly still awake, with no intention of sleeping anytime soon. 

 

“Why isn’t he going to sleep? It’s almost midnight, he’s always tired himself out before this,” Hyori muttered, rocking the infant and patting him, hoping to lull him to sleep.

 

At 11:59pm, Hyori gently laid the child into his crib, fast asleep. Hyori looked over at Sungwoo in relief. As the clock struck midnight, the vague sound of a whistle drifted into the air. Both siblings glanced at the window, their expressions darkening.  It had been a close call.

 

Five years later

 

“Choi Minki, bedtime, turn off the TV!” a female voice called out. The seven-year-old looked up from the TV, pouting. 

 

“But it’s only 8pm! I’m not tired at all!” the boy complained, but obediently turned off the TV and looked back at his aunt.

 

“That’s why you have your warm milk to drink, so that it can help you sleep,” she said, leading him to the kitchen.

 

“Aunt Sunja, I’m too old for milk! I’m not a baby!” he exclaimed. He was at that age where he refused to do anything he was told to, and frankly, it was getting on Sunja’s nerves. Then again, her pregnancy was also making her mood swings vicious these days

 

“Don’t make me get your aunt Hyori,” she threatened. Minki immediately stopped whining. While Aunt Hyori was his favorite person in the whole wide world, she was also really scary when she got mad. He obediently drank his milk and rushed up the stairs to his room.

 

Aunt Sunja had married Uncle Sungwoo about three years ago, but from what Aunt Hyori always said, they’d waited to have kids because they were already raising Minki himself. To this, Minki always

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter