(1)

The Missing Piece

Story and cover art created by Kyren_Rayne on AsianFanfics.

Permission has not been given to post elsewhere.

 

"Nayoung!" Hana gently called as she entered their apartment, struggling with the groceries that filled her arms.

She sighed, setting the bags onto the counter.

Hana put away the refrigerated items before wandering into the rest of the house to locate her wife.

"Nayoung," she turned the corner to enter their bedroom.

The taller girl sat in the center of their bed, intensely playing a video game.

"Hey, baby," she said without taking her eyes off the screen, "When'd you get home?"

Hana rolled her eyes.

"A few minutes ago. Could you help me unpack? Sejeong just got back into town, and she's stopping by to drop off some stuff she got for us."

"Sure, babe. I'll meet you in there in a sec."

Hana sighed once more, then retreated to the kitchen.

Soon all of the groceries had been put away, but Nayoung still hadn't joined her.

As she took a seat in a chair at the dining table, she could feel that horrible sensation start to rise into her chest again.

She hadn't quite been able to pinpoint what it was yet, but she knew she had been feeling it more frequently lately, and she didn't like it.

What was it?

Stress from being overwhelmed at work?

Disappointment that she wasn't living the life that she had imagined for herself?

Or jealousy that Sejeong was out traveling the world while she was still stuck in the same town she had grown up in?

Deep down, though, she was almost positive she knew exactly what it was.

Hana glanced down at her hand and began fiddling with the small, gold band surrounding the base of her finger.

Dissatisfaction with her marriage.

She loved Nayoung, or at least she thought she did.

That's why they had gotten married.

But she was no longer the smooth, kindhearted wife who had adored Hana when they were young and dumb.

She had begun paying less and less attention to Hana; playing games during all of her free time, not helping around the house, and she had been absolutely dismissive of Hana's desire to have a child.

She sighed.

It probably wasn't as bad as she made it out to be though.

Nayoung had a stable job, she helped Hana make good friends, and they had an active life.

Things could be worse...

Suddenly there was a rhythmic tapping on the door, pulling Hana from her thoughts, and for that she was thankful.

She hurried to the door, tugging it open to reveal their friend, Sejeong.

"Bora!"

Sejeong trapped Hana in a tight hug.

"Sejeong," the two parted, "How was Paris?"

"Man, Bora, it was like nothing I've seen before. It was absolutely stunning and the lights-"

"Where should I set this stuff, Jeongie?"

A delicate voice cut in from behind the younger girl.

"Oh god, I'm sorry."

Sejeong quickly spun around in the doorway to grab some bags from someone.

Hana stepped to the side, motioning for them to come in, so she could get a better view of the new guest.

"Just set everything on the coffee table. We can go through it there."

Hana watched Sejeong walk in, followed by a short haired girl.

The two were about the same height, at least that's what Hana thought simply from observing the pair from behind.

The new woman was dressed in a long sleeved, black and white striped blouse, accompanied by a pair of tight black pants.

Hana felt her eyes unconsciously begin to trail over the girl's curves which her outfit seemed to cling to ever so attractively.

"Jung Mimi."

The girl her hand out towards Hana, a bright smile on her face.

Hana swallowed hard, taking the girl's hand in hers.

It was soft and warm.

Bora suddenly felt very self conscious of her own clammy palm.

"Ah," Sejeong turned to face them, "This is Mimi, a friend of mine. She's visiting from Bucheon for the Summer."

Realizing that she was still holding Mimi's hand, Hana quickly pulled away.

"Um, nice to meet you. I'm Hana. Well, actually I'm Shin Bora. No, I mean," the black haired girl felt her heart pounding in her chest as she fumbled with her words, "I'm Kim Bora, but people do call me Hana. Some people-"

"Her real name is Shin Bora, she took Nayoung's last name so technically she's Kim Bora now, but we all call her Hana," Sejeong smiled as she stepped between Hana and Mimi, "There. That wasn't so hard, now was it?"

Mimi chuckled softly, causing her new friend's cheeks to flush.

"It's nice to meet you, Hana."

Before Hana had a chance to embarrass herself again, Sejeong clapped her hands, "Nayoung, get your in here! I have gifts from France!"

"Ahh!"

All three girls could hear Nayoung's excited shouting accompanied by her quick footsteps until she joined them in the living room.

"My Sejeongie," Nayoung pulled Sejeong in for a brief hug, "I missed your loud ."

Moving to wrap an arm around Hana, she smiled warmly at Mimi.

Hana involuntarily tensed at Nayoung's touch.

"I'm Nayoung, and I'm sure you've met my lovely wife, Bora."

Mimi bowed politely, an obvious contrast from her behavior with just Sejeong and Hana.

"A pleasure. I'm Jung Mimi, Sejeong's friend."

The tallest girl raised an eyebrow.

"Her friend or her 'friend'?"

Sejeong and Mimi turned to look at each other, their eyebrows furrowing.

Soon they burst into laughter.

"No," Sejeong said between laughs, "Oh god, no. We're definitely just normal friends."

"Don't get me wrong," Mimi turned back to the couple, "Sejeong is wonderful, but she's basically my brother."

"Ooh," Nayoung began before being quickly cut off by the aforementioned girl.

"Shut your mouth, Na. I'm voluntary in the friend zone."

"You're way past the friend zone. She called you her brother!"

Hana couldn't help the giggle that escaped her lips.

Nayoung gently squeezed her wife's shoulder, giving her a quick smile as well.

When she silenced herself, Hana's eyes fell back onto Mimi.

Much to her surprise, she met the other girl's eyes.

Bora immediately shifted her gaze elsewhere, but Mimi held her ground.

Hana cleared , "So um, Sejeong. Do you need help sorting through the stuff you brought?"

"No, no," she shook her head furiously, "You hang back, babe. You have enough to worry with."

Bora smiled.

Sejeong was always so charming without even trying.

It was no wonder that she had people constantly fawning after her.

How Mimi could resist God Sejeong was beyond her.

Even Hana, who genuinely had no romantic interest in Sejeong, couldn't keep her heart from fluttering when the younger girl's casually flirty nature came out.

"To be completely honest," Sejeong began rustling through her bags, "Most of the souvenirs I brought for you guys are edible. The food in France was just too incredible to not share."

She passed a bottle of champagne to Nayoung then continued pulling things out.

The table was soon covered in a variety of sweets, breads, and cheeses.

"Lastly," she turned to Hana and handed her a red beret, "Cliche, I know, but I just thought you'd look too cute in it."

Bora blushed, despite herself.

"You didn't have to," the eldest gave a small bow as she took the hat and carefully placed it onto her head.

"She's right," Nayoung whispered, "You look beautiful."

Her blush deepened, earning a chuckle from Mimi.

"Well," Sejeong said, smiling at the way Nayoung was looking towards her wife, "We should get going. We have reservations. It was nice catching up for a bit though."

"Of course," Bora bowed again, "Thank you for everything, Sejeong."

The outgoing girl ran to the couple and pulled them in for a hug.

"Enjoy your dinner and make sure to stop by again before you leave for your next trip," Nayoung grumbled.

"Ah~," Sejeong pulled away, "You do miss me when I'm gone. You sap."

"I'm going to miss you less now."

The room erupted into laughter.

"Okay, okay," Sejeong settled down, "We'll leave you two alone for real now. I'll see ya' later."

She wrapped her arm around Mimi's shoulder.

"It was lovely meeting you two."

She smiled towards the pair, her eyes lingering on Hana for a bit longer than they should have.

And with that, they left.

Hana shut the door behind them before turning to her wife.

Nayoung was observing the different French items that now sat on their table.

"We should make a little date of this," she turned to Hana with a smile, "Have some champagne and a little romantic dinner."

Bora smiled back softly.

"Okay."

"Good. I'll grab us some glasses."

As Nayoung walked to the kitchen, Hana took a seat on the couch and began fiddling with her wedding ring again.

She suddenly felt extremely guilty for the way she had been looking at Mimi.

Maybe Nayoung wasn't the problem.

Maybe she was just a bad person.

Maybe-

"Are you okay?" Nayoung set a pair of champagne flutes to the table then sat next to Bora, "Your forehead is doing that little crease thing it does when you're thinking."

Hana shook her head, attempting to clear her mind.

"Yeah, no," she reached for the bottle of alcohol that Sejeong had gifted them, "I'm fine."

"Okay."

The girls sat quietly for a moment as Hana filled their cups.

Similarly, Nayoung began silently preparing a few snacks for them.

"Oh look," the younger said, attempting to lighten the mood, "Macarons. They're so pretty."

"Mm," Hana hummed before picking up her glass for a long drink.

Nayoung sighed, grabbing her own flute and taking a sip.

After a brief glance towards her wife, Nayoung stood and walked to their entertainment center.

Hana looked at her, an eyebrow raised.

"What're you-"

Suddenly the room filled with gentle music.

Nayoung turned and reached for the light switch, dimming the lights, then returned to her spot next to Bora.

"Relax," she tilted Hana's face upward with her thumb then connected their lips, "I don't want you worrying about anything right now. Let's just try to have a nice evening."

There was that feeling again.

Why was Nayoung suddenly being so sweet?

Could she tell that Hana had been checking Mimi out?

Why couldn't she just be like this all the time?

Hana wouldn't be in this predicament if she had.

Overwhelmed by her thoughts, Hana quickly swallowed down the rest of her champagne, pulled the beret off her head, then moved to straddle Nayoung's lap.

She pressed a soft kiss to her alcohol-dampened lips before moving to her neck.

"Hey," Nayoung mumbled, turning her head a bit, so Hana had better access to her flesh, "What's the matter?"

"Nothing," Hana responded, a bit gruffer than she had meant.

"Okay."

And that was the end of it.

The drinks were forgotten, and the food went untouched.

Later that night, Nayoung laid in bed watching television as Hana freshened up.

Unbeknownst to her wife, Hana had simply been staring at herself in the bathroom mirror.

She looked at the marks that Nayoung had left on her skin, and found herself wishing that they were Mimi's instead.

She shook her head and sighed, grabbing her toothbrush.

They had met for maybe ten minutes, so why was she captivating Hana's thoughts?

She had decided that it was simply because of the internal conflict that she had been having.

Bora convinced herself that Sejeong could have brought anyone over, and she would have been fantasizing about them.

Her mind was just acting out because she longed for a change.

"Bora, babe, are you coming back? It's cold, I want to cuddle."

Hana could hear the pout in her voice.

Rinsing quickly, she responded, "I'll be out in a minute."

Before going back into the bedroom, she slipped on a thin, pink nightgown and stopped to observe herself in the mirror one final time.

She pressed her index finger to a new hickey that had darkened on her collarbone.

The sight made her chest tighten.

Suddenly unable to stand it any longer, Hana dug around in a drawer for a bandaid.

Upon finding one large enough, she tore open the package and quickly covered the love bite.

The moment it was covered, Hana felt like she could breathe again.

Letting out a puff of air, she turned off the bathroom light and headed back to join Nayoung.

As Bora made her way to bed, she couldn't help the small smile that crept onto her lips.

Her wife was already passed out, her body haphazardly covered by their comforter.

Of course she still loved her wife.

They had been married for years now.

Things just weren't what she wanted at the moment.

Hana settled onto the mattress, her back to Nayoung, and pulled the blanket over herself.

Soon a cold arm came to wrap around her waist.

"Mm, sorry for not waiting," she placed a kiss to Bora's shoulder, "I just got so tired."

"It's okay," she let out a dry laugh, "We had a tiring evening."

"Yeah," Nayoung laughed, but it was cut short, "What's this?"

Her fingers came to trail over the bandaid on Hana's collarbone.

Hana's breath caught in .

"Nothing, it's just...I accidentally scratched myself in the shower."

"Ah," her arm returned to resting on Hana's hip, "I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it," she mumbled.

Hana waited for another reply, but it never came, as her wife had already fallen back asleep.

She let the sound of the television drown out her once again racing thoughts, attempting to get some rest of her own.

“Bora,” her lips were hot against the younger girls, “I’m going to give you what you want.”

“What I want?”

Mimi gripped Hana’s knees, her knuckles white against her skin, and shoved her legs roughly apart.

“What you need.”

“What do I need?” She whispered against Mimi’s mouth.

“I’m going to marry you- you’re going to be my wife and I’m going to take care of you. I’m going to give you a baby and we’ll be a family.”

Hana moved to press her face into her elder’s shoulder, suddenly feeling shy.

She found it embarrassing that the thought of being cared for turned her on more than anything ual.

“And all I need in return is you,” she slid down Bora’s slender body and placed a gentle kiss to her inner thigh, “All of you.”

Hana gasped into the air, her eyes jerking shut and her back arching off of the bed.

She exhaled slowly, her eyes opening to find Mimi again.

Instead, however, she was greeted with Nayoung hovering over the bed, crying.

Her heart was broken.

She had been betrayed.

Hana could see it in her eyes.

The way she stood motionless, the only movement being the tears falling from her eyes.

Hana jolted awake, her body covered in a chilled sweat.

She glanced over to the other side of the bed and found her wife still sleeping.

“,” she sighed as she rubbed her palms over her face.

She closed her eyes, leaning her head back, and tried to clear her thoughts.

To calm herself.

But still only one thing came to mind.

Mimi.

 

-

A/N: Hi guys. Sorry for not posting anything in a while. This is a story that I’ve had saved for a while, but just haven’t really been able to do anything with it. I may or may not update this, but I like it, so I thought I’d share what I have of it so far with you. Hopefully you like it, too. Thanks for reading.