Chapter 4

Death begins in rebirth

Chaewon woke up feeling as if she had been hit by a speeding truck. Her whole body ached and she felt as if she hadn’t had enough sleep.

 

“Ugh. What the ?”

 

“You are finally awake!” Minju exclaimed as she closed the door behind her.

 

“What time is it?” Chaewon asked, blinking her eyes repeatedly to eliminate the blurriness.

 

“It’s 3 o’clock,” Minju answered, drying her hair with a towel. “I thought you weren’t going to wake up until tomorrow.”

 

“I feel like I got my beaten.”

 

“You kind of did,” Minju said disapprovingly, hiding the guilt she felt. Maybe she should have just given Eunyoung one pill.

 

“But those got what they deserved,” she said, groaning as she sat up.

 

“Do you have to use such language?” Minju asked, frowning.

 

“This is the way I speak. Take it or leave it.”

 

“You can’t speak that way in front of my mom.”

 

“Ah, that’s right. We were going to see your mom, right?”

 

“We are, but after you take a shower,” Minju said assertively. “And I mean it. You can’t use that language in front of my mom.”

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Chaewon answered dismissively, finding a demanding Minju cute. “Ah, but what clothes am I going to wear?”

 

“We are in your room.”

 

“Alright. And where do I take a shower?”

 

“Well, follow me.”

 

After taking her shower, Chaewon asked Minju for privacy to change into her clothes, promising up and down that she wouldn’t leave without telling her.

 

Now, in the privacy of Eunyoung’s room, she started opening the drawers in her desk, looking for a very specific thing.

 

(“Wow, to what do I owe the honor of having Kim Chaewon in my humble establishment, and with a new face?”

 

“I’m looking to pay some debts,” she answered calmly.

 

“Who even dared to cross the infamous Kim Chaewon?” Inseon asked, smirking obnoxiously as he sat on his leather chair.

 

“Do you have any dirt on the Ravens?”

 

“Uh, uh. You want some info, and I want some gossip. That’s how it works and you know it, Chaewon... or should I call you Shihyun?”

 

“Someone tried to kill me. I don’t know who, but I’m sure they are from the Ravens.”

 

“Ho ho, then does this mean a blood bath?” he moved forward, leaning his elbows on the cheap table. What was the point of a leather chair if the table was going to be of quality, Chaewon could never understand.

 

“This means paying my dues, by whatever means necessary.”

 

“Well, aren’t you an exciting fellow? I do have some gossip on the Ravens, but it’ll cost you.”

 

“The price?” Chaewon asked, crossing her arms.

 

“It’s nothing, really. There is just this small newspaper that has become a nuisance for my business. I need to locate a reporter, and, make her lose her write-up.”

 

“You want me to kill her,” Chaewon stated.

 

“Oh, no. Not at all. That would attract even more attention to us. I just want you to find where she gets her info, and eliminate that source.”

 

“And what is this reporter’s name?”

 

“Eunjin? Eunha? Ah! Eunyoung. Bae Eunyoung.”)

 

Chaewon clicked her tongue. There were no important papers in any drawer, just ty drafts and a love letter. Eugh.

 

Maybe Eunyoung had her drafts in her workplace. She would have to ask later.

 

After trying to leave everything as it had been before she searched, she put on the clothes Minju had chosen for her. Looking at herself in the mirror, she grimaced. Jesus, does this girl have a terrible fashion sense. Well, at the very least it’s Eunyoung and not her who is wearing this .

 

Opening the door to Eunyoung’s room she found Minju waiting for her to be ready, fiddling with her phone.

 

(“How does she look like?”

 

“I don’t know. She is not that public of a person, and I haven’t really done any research.”

 

“And you expect me to find her without any other clue.”

 

“You’re smart. You’ll manage.”)

 

“Let’s go,” Chaewon said, shaking those thoughts out of her head, at least, for a moment.

 

“Remember what I asked,” Minju warned as she drove to the hospital. “Don’t tell her...”

 

“That I’m not Eunyoung, don’t cuss, and don’t talk about her illness at all. Got it,” Chaewon finished, bored out of her mind already. Why had she accepted to do this?

 

“I mean it.”

 

“I heard you,” Chaewon said, irritated at the insistence. “I’m not deaf. I heard you.” Minju’s lips set in a thin line, but said nothing.

 

The trip was filled with a tense silence, probably a product of Chaewon’s outburst, but the latter didn’t care. She just knew she was doing Minju a favor, she would look for Eunyoung’s workplace to find some info on the mole, and she would leave for her own apartment. After that, she wasn’t sure…

 

The doctors seemed to know Eunyoung and Minju well, as evidenced by the friendly greetings they received by doctors and nurses alike. Did they come often?

 

“Remember,” Minju whispered before opening the door to her mom’s hospital room. Chaewon wanted to retort, but Minju entered the room quickly, leaving no room for argument. Chaewon grumbled under her breath, and entered as well.

 

“Oh, Eunyoung!” a woman sitting in a bed exclaimed, opening her arms. Chaewon, not knowing what do, just stood next to Minju.

 

“Ahaha, yeah.” Minju hit her with her elbow. Chaewon turned to look at the woman, who gestured subtly at her mother. What did she want Chaewon to do?

 

Awkwardly walking towards Minju’s mom, she was met with a strong hug.

 

Oof, okay, isn’t this woman ill?

 

Chaewon patted the woman’s back slightly, hoping the embrace would end soon. On the other hand, Minju was cringing, ready to admit that bringing Eunyoung like this was a terrible idea.

 

“I’m so glad you are well. I was afraid you would leave my Minju alone.” The embrace felt never-ending for Chaewon, but she tried relaxing, knowing that she probably was very stiff. It was a gigantic task, as her muscles barely seemed willing to obey her. In any other setting, she would already have wrestled the hugging person to the ground, so this was...

 

“Don’t worry. I won’t leave Minju alone,” she said as naturally as she could, feeling herself internally cringe at her own words.

 

The embrace finally ended, to Chaewon’s relief, but the woman still grabbed her hands, smiling up at her. Chaewon tried smiling, and she hoped it wasn’t a grimace. The woman gasped.

 

“What happened to you? Is this from the accident?”

 

“Uh, yeah. I haven’t completely healed yet, so this is still on my face.” Huh. Now that she thought of it, she had been told by Eunyoung’s mother that she had had a car accident while on the road. If that was the case, where were the injuries? If Eunyoung died, her whole body should’ve suffered something. And yet, she woke up, completely healthy...

 

“Oh, no. I hope they fade in time for the wedding.”

 

“Haha, yeah... Wait...” Chaewon turned to look at Minju, a ‘what the is she talking about?’ etched on her face. Minju just looked at her pleadingly, as if asking her not to say anything. “I hope so, too.”

 

“Are you okay with continuing the wedding? Aren’t you hurt?”

 

“I am not as hurt as I seem.” Chaewon laughed awkwardly. “How have you been?” Minju’s mother smiled.

 

“I’ve been better.”

 

Chaewon didn’t know what to say, but, gratefully, Minju saved her from having to speak.

 

“I knew you were worried about her when you heard about the accident, so I brought her to meet you,” Minju explained, although her explanation felt redundant.

 

“Yes. I am happy that you are doing well,” Minju’s mom said, smiling again. “Now, have you made plans after the wedding? Are you planning on giving me grandchildren soon?” Chaewon almost choked.

 

“Mom, I already told you,” Minju exclaimed exasperatedly, although her expression was that of fondness.

 

“Yes, yes, you want to wait until you are stable, but I don’t know how much time I have left.” Her mom put a hand on her forehead dramatically, making Minju smile, albeit sadly.

 

“Hopefully you’ll be here for a few more years.” Minju’s mother smiled.

 

“Well, enough of that talk. Did you bring the chess board?”

 

“It’s right here,” Minju said, taking a small chessboard out of her purse.

 

“Great! Care to play a game, Eunyoung?”

 

“Me?” Chaewon asked, surprised. She had never played chess. Did that nerdy Eunyoung know how to play chess?

 

She did. That ing nerd knew how to play chess. Minju’s mom was floored at the number of times she managed to win against Chaewon, commenting on her rookie mistakes. Chaewon could only laugh awkwardly, not knowing how to explain how chess champion Eunyoung playing was so . Either way, it wasn’t that bad. She got the hang of it after a few games and managed to make the next games last more than 3 minutes.

 

“You have lost your touch, Eunyoung-ie,” Minju’s mom commented as Chaewon put the pieces back inside the box.

 

“I guess so,” Chaewon said, shrugging her shoulders.

 

“And look, Minnie has fallen asleep.” Chaewon turned around to look and, fair enough, Minju was sprawled on the sofa, her head lolling to the left side.

 

“Yeah, probably got bored of seeing me get my... get beaten by her mom.”

 

“I think she is just stressed,” her mother pointed out, ignoring Chaewon’s attempt at a joke. Chaewon was at a loss on what to answer.

 

“And I know you’ve been stressed, too. I just hope that you both can be a safe home to each other, that you can be there for her and that she can be there for you, too.”

 

“I’m sure that will be the case.” When Chaewon returns to her body and the real Eunyoung comes back.

 

“I really am putting my girl in your hands.” Minju’s mom grabbed both of her hands, squeezing them slightly. “I know you just had an accident, and I know that it must be hard for you, so I want to make sure that you both will be there for each other. After all, that’s what couples do.”

 

Chaewon nodded, not knowing what to say. But it seemed as if Minju’s mom was waiting for something. She was searching for something in her face, making Chaewon squirm uncharacteristically.

 

“Are you...? Were you two fighting before you came here?”

 

“No, not at all,” Chaewon said, but Minju’s mom didn’t seem convinced.

 

“There’s something about your eyes.” Chaewon froze. “Are you having second thoughts?”

 

“No, of course not.” Chaewon wasn’t even sure why she was denying these questions adamantly. All she had to do was just... leave. But there was something about Minju’s mom, an aura that was commanding, even though her voice and expressions were soft. Chaewon was sure that when this woman was healthy, she was a fighter. It reminded her of her own mother.

 

“Tell me the truth,” Minju’s mom demanded softly, but assertively at the same time.

 

“Ah, well, it has been a strange week.”

 

“How so?” Minju’s mom asked. “Don’t worry. I won’t tell Minnie if you don’t want me to.” Chaewon turned to look at Minju, and hoped she wasn’t hearing in case she ed up.

 

“Ah, no, well... Strange things have happened this week, aside from my... accident. I guess I just feel like... I feel fine, ah, but I just feel like I can’t marry Minju like this.”

 

“How so?”

 

“Well, ah, uh, I just feel like I don’t match Minju. She is... I am not a very good person...”

 

“I know sometimes love can be seeing each other in a different light, but it should never be about putting someone in a pedestal. You have your own faults, but Minju has faults, too, and I think you know that better than everyone else. Marriage is a difficult step in any relationship because it’s a compromise that is meant to last, through thick and thin, and everything else. Your faults, Minju’s faults, you both can work on them, together. Don’t look down on yourself.”

 

“Ah, yeah,” Chaewon cocked her head slightly to the side.

 

“Don’t let Minju go. Take care of her, and she’ll take care of you.” Minju’s mom squeezed her hands tightly, which made Chaewon turn to look at her face. Her eyes were determined, and her expression...

 

“Yes, thank you,” Chaewon said, her voice, the softest she had heard it be in years. Well, it probably helped that it was Eunyoung’s voice.

 

That’s right.

 

Minju’s mom thought she was Eunyoung.

 

Chaewon tried breaking free from Minju’s mom’s grip, but the woman held tight.

 

“Promise me,” the woman said. “Promise me you’ll stay together, no matter what.” Chaewon took a deep breath.

 

“I promise.”

--

“Why are you so quiet?” Minju asked as she turned the car on, the rumbling of the car making for a nice background noise for Chaewon.

 

“Ah, it’s nothing.”

 

“Did mom tell you something bad?”

 

“No, no.”

 

“Please, tell me.”

 

“Ah, it’s... It’s nothing.”

 

“Please, I want to know what you are thinking.”

 

“Ah.” Oh, it. “I don’t know. I guess... I don’t know. Your mom kind of... ah, reminded me of my own mother.”

 

“How did...?” Minju stopped. ‘Is she talking as this Chaewon character?’

 

“How did she remind you of her?” Minju asked, forcing herself to indulge Eunyoung in her own fantasies, hoping that, at the very least, Eunyoung could remember something about her life, instead of this made up story.

 

“I don’t know... she just... she was a fighter,” Chaewon finished more confidently. It was far easier to tell a story than to talk feelings. “My mother was always a very harsh woman. When she fell ill, I don’t think I ever saw her weaken, even when her body did.”

 

“Can you tell me more about your mom?” Chaewon was surprised by the request, but decided to oblige, still affected by the previous encounter.

 

“Ah, well. I didn’t quite grow up swimming in money, I guess. We lived in the poorest neighborhood, and well, both my parents worked to support us. My mother was always a very strong woman.” Chaewon smiled slightly. “I remember that the first time I got into a fight she made me clean the tteokbokki cart for a week.”

 

“That sounds hard,” Minju interjected.

 

“It’s not. It’s really not,” Chaewon said, still immersed in memories. “I couldn’t be stopped, though, so she gave up on punishing me after the fifth time. Instead, she told me, ‘You want to fight? Alright, but you better know that you won’t be able to take another path in life.’”

 

“And she let you do it? Just like that?”

 

“Of course not. She expected me to become a boxer, or a taekwondo fighter, or some .” Chaewon shrugged. “She disliked seeing me fight, but she didn’t stop me, often just telling to get a job or go to the free boxing lessons down the street.”

 

“You never went?”

 

“Nah. I liked fighting. I liked the thrill of no rules. Everything goes in street fights.” Minju bit her lip. Eunyoung’s story was incredibly detailed, and none of the things that she said coincided with Eunyoung’s life story at all. When she had called the doctor that morning, the doctor had assured her that false memories were often interwoven with real memories. False memories were more like real memories being distorted. But this, this had nothing to do with Eunyoung.

 

Could she be telling the truth? Could she really not be Eunyoung?

 

No, that’s ridiculous.

 

“So, you and Eunyoung are getting married.” Minju froze, even though she knew this topic would come sooner rather than later.

 

“Yes, we are,” Minju said hesitantly.

 

“And soon?”

 

“Yes. We’re getting married on January 16.”

 

Chaewon whistled. “That’s a month from now.”

 

“It is,” Minju agreed, now in a conflict, not knowing what to say, especially when she heard her mom and Eunyoung’s exchange. Was Eunyoung in that much doubt? Or was she speaking as this Chaewon person? It was starting to make her feel dizzy.

 

“Well, now I have a favor to ask.”

 

“What is it?” Minju asked warily.

 

“Could you take me to this place Uh, it’s Handong Street...”

 

“Handong Street? What do you want to do there?” Handong was part of one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city. It was the subject of legends high school kids told each other and that, inevitably, became something they believed when they grew into adulthood.

 

“Nothing important, just to look for something.”

 

“I can’t let you go there.” Chaewon frowned.

 

“Look, I did this favor for you. I visited your mother. I spent time with her. Now I want my favor to be repaid.”

 

“Is that all my mom is?” Minju asked, hurt. “A favor?” Chaewon looked ate her, surprised at her outburst.

 

“No.”

 

“That’s what you said.”

 

“I know what I said,” Chaewon said, frustrated. “I didn’t mean it like that.”

 

“You know what? If you want to go, go there yourself.”

 

“What?”

 

“Get out of the car,” Minju ordered. Chaewon was about to argue, but froze at the sight of the angry tears on Minju’s eyes.

 

“Fine.” Chaewon opened the door and got out of the car. As soon as the door closed, the car sped into the distance. Chaewon kicked the ground angrily.

 

And she was just trying to be nice.

 

But she wasn’t nice, was she? She had to grudgingly admit that her words had made it sound like she thought Minju’s mom was a charity case.

 

It made her feel angry with herself, too. She had sounded like those snobbish dudes that treated everyone in her neighborhood like pity cases.

 

“Ah, . Why did I even say that?” But she couldn’t stall. She had a job to do, and a revenge to plan. She walked a few steps, but suddenly stopped. There was something inside of her that told her that she couldn’t go on, that she needed to see if Minju was okay.

 

Why did she even care about ing Kim Minju?

 

(“Promise me. Promise me you’ll stay together no matter what.”)

 

“Ah, .”

--

Minju spent over two hours watching movies with her dad while eating ice cream. When he had asked if something was wrong, she hadn’t answered, just asking for some ice cream and a nice rom-com.

 

She was grateful that her dad hadn’t tried to delve and had agreed to spend time with her.

 

Forty minutes into the Notebook, the bell rang, waking her father, who had already fallen asleep at the previous movie.

 

“I’ll get that,” he said, ruffling her hair when she whined.

 

It took a few minutes, but he finally came into the room, turning the light on.

 

“Dad, why are you...?” the words died in at the sight of one Bae Eunyoung standing behind her father.

 

“I’ll leave you two alone,” his dad said, leaving for another room. Minju was sure he would still try to listen in.

 

Minju didn’t say anything, wanting Eunyoung to make the first move. Eunyoung looked unsure, as if she had no idea what she was doing.

 

“Uh, here. I brought this... for you,” she said, extending a lone rose she had been hiding behind her back. Minju’s anger melted at the gesture, but she didn’t let on. She took the flower, but said nothing, wanting to hear her apology.

 

“I, ah, uh... I am sorry for, ah, ... for being a person... I didn’t mean what I said... Your mom is very nice and, ah, well, I don’t know... I... She is not a favor or a charity case or anything...” Minju’s lip twitched.

 

“I guess that, ah, I brought this rose because, ah, this is so stupid... Someone told me you give this if you want forgiveness.”

 

“It’s not stupid,” Minju answered, letting a small smile set on her face. “It’s sweet. Apology accepted.” Minju laughed when Chaewon sighed in relief.

 

“How did you find my house?” Minju asked, walking closer to Eunyoung.

 

“I asked Eunyoung’s parents about it,” Chaewon answered. Minju, although still dizzy and confused about her fiancee’s amnesia, managed to smile at Eunyoung’s answer.

 

“Thank you for trying,” she said, hugging Eunyoung, who froze immediately at the touch.

 

Chaewon wasn’t sure on what to do, as she wasn’t used to physical affection. However, for some reason, she found it easier to relax in Minju’s hold than in Minju’s mother’s. ‘Still, some habits can’t be broken’, she thought as she patted Minju’s back awkwardly.

 

“It’s nothing... I had to make sure you and I were good.” Her words warmed Minju’s heart. It meant that she cared. Eunyoung cared, and that gave her hope.

 

“You want to stay here for the night?” Minju asked, not letting her grip on Eunyoung go.

 

“Ah, no, it’s okay. I have some stuff to do.” Minju frowned.

 

“Such as?”

 

“I have to go to Handong Street?” Chaewon voiced it as a question when she saw Minju’s expression morph into anger.

 

“Why do you want to go there? Do you have a death wish?” Minju said as she let Chaewon go, making the latter feel uncharacteristically empty.

 

“I told you, there’s something I have to look for.”

 

“Then I’ll go with you.”

 

“Hell no.”

 

“Why not?” Minju asked, the warmth in her heart already gone, replaced by agitation. “You wanted me to take you there before, so why not?”

 

“There was daylight,” Chaewon said, matter-of-factly. “And you were supposed to just drop me off.”

 

“And you want to go there? Alone? At night?”

 

“I know how to take care of myself.”

 

“Just yesterday you came into my room battered. Am I supposed to feel comforted by that?”

 

“No, I, just,” Chaewon pinched the bridge of her nose. “Okay, I might come again with my handed to me or maybe not. But nothing more than that.”

 

“Is that supposed to make me feel better?”

 

“Agh, why are you like this?” Chaewon asked in exasperation.

 

“Because I worry, you idiot!” Minju screamed, having already forgotten about her dad being in the adjacent room. Her words gave Chaewon pause, making the latter look at her as if she had grown two heads. “You think it doesn’t hurt me to see you hurting like this?”

 

Chaewon looked as if she was processing Minju’s words. It took a while for her to speak.

 

“I... I am... I guess I’m not used to people worrying about me.”

 

“Well, I do, so stop being reckless and stay here.”

 

“I need to go there.” Minju groaned.

 

“Why are you so stubborn? Fine, but I’ll go with you.” Minju interrupted Chaewon before she could protest. “Try going alone and I won’t forgive you.”

 

“Alright, okay, jeez,” Chaewon said, raising her hands. “But you’ll do as I say. No buts or ifs.” Minju wanted to retort, but decided not to. She didn’t want to have this discussion go on and on.

 

“Okay.”

 

“Okay, then. Grab a coat and let’s go,” Chaewon said.


Hope you liked it...

It'll probably be the last chapter in a while... probably... 

Hit my awkward self in Twitter! @Beks7412