chapter 1: has this always been here?

a peculiar little place called byulbit cafe

"Woah... what the hell?" Sanghyuk stopped in his tracks, blinking widely at a shabby looking little shop that he swore hadn't existed until then. Rain poured down on his umbrella, and his friends called for him to hurry up. "Hey, what is that place?" He asked as he caught up to them, making puddles splash beneath his boots. 

"Hasn't that always been there? It's like some cafe that opens in the evening or something. Come on, we're gonna be late!" 

Sanghyuk and his dorm-mates hurried into class, shoulders damp and voices hushed as they rushed to their seats. Unfortunately for Sanghyuk's grades, he was not listening to the professor while the man droned on about some sort of theory that Sanghyuk had likely already read and memorized. There was a piece of paper that said "Help Wanted" on the wall of that shop... I'll check it out tonight. Could do with some part time cash. 

"Han Sanghyuk! Just because you are the top of your class, it doesn't mean you can daydream during class." Sanghyuk sat up straight with a sheepish smile and bowed his head in apology. 

 

7 PM

 

Sanghyuk stood in front of the shabby little shop, noting that the lights were dimly lit inside through the clouded windows. There was a small wall lamp next to the door, and a dark blue plaque with the words "Byulbit Cafe" etched into the surface with gold paint. What a curious place... The fact that he had never noticed it being open during the day was very curious indeed. He heard from his friends that this cafe only operated at night, starting from 6:20 PM. A peculiar time to open it's doors... He gently peeled the "Help Wanted" paper off, took a small breath, and pushed the door open. 

 

"Welcome to Byulbit Cafe." He was greeted by a gentle, deep voice, so deep that it took him off guard and had him looking around wildly until his eyes fell onto a man who had greying hair- no, his hair was dyed in a gradient from black to grey. His face was relatively young, possibly around Sanghyuk's age... a pair of round spectacles rested on his raised nose bridge, complimenting his slightly droopy eyes. Was that eyeliner he saw? "Are you alone?" The deep rumble of the man's voice reminded him that he was here to get a job, and he cleared his throat before introducing himself. 

"I saw that you were hiring? I haven't had much experience as a waiter, but I do learn fast." It was a rather boastful start, but Sanghyuk was not known to be too timid about his own achievements. This in turn caught the bespectacled man off guard, and a smirk crossed his lips. 

"You sound confident. It's a difficult job here, you know." His rumbling voice turned into almost a purr, and he gestured for the younger to follow him. "You'll have to see the owner for that. I'm only a mere waiter. My name is Ravi, by the way." The smirk turned into a small grin, and they stopped in front of another door in the back of the shop. Hyuk looked around in slight confusion, noting that the cafe had been open for almost an hour, yet there were no customers.

"Is business usually slow here?" Ravi raised a brow, looking around them and opened his mouth, only to stop himself and clear his throat.

"No, we have quite a few regulars." Strange answer to Sanghyuk's question, but this entire situation was already strange enough. What could go wrong at a small and cozy cafe? As Ravi raised a fist to knock, a ring glistened in the dim light and caught Sanghyuk's eye. It was silver, quite a noticeable size, with a dark purple jewel encrusted into the metal. Sanghyuk could almost swear there were clouds of lavender and magenta swirling inside it, but before he could ask or take a closer look, the door was creaked open after three gentle knocks. Wait... who opened it? 

"Yes, Ravi? If this is about Hongbin's escaped bodies, I will push you right out of this room--" A tall, slender, and tanned man turned away from a large mirror, his eyes widening in surprise and shoulders tensing warily. "... So I see this will become an interview. Welcome, uhm.." 

"Sanghyuk. Han Sanghyuk." 

"That's much too hard to remember, from now on your name is Hyuk. Welcome to Byulbit Cafe, congratulations, you are now our waiter in training!" A delicate hand reached out and took his own, shaking it energetically. It was a strange feeling since the man's skin felt oddly cold... He felt a shiver run down his spine, some red flags already going off in his head as he blinked in confusion. 

"Hired? I thought we were going to have an interv--" 

"No, no! You're perfectly suitable for this job, I'll get you a uniform, we should have some left that are in your size. Oh, and those shoes simply will not do, you'll have to purchase new--"

"N! He isn't... he's normal." The man called N, which in Sanghyuk's- Hyuk's opinion was a very strange name (not that Ravi's was any different), turned back to face them slowly and his eyebrows furrowed into the smallest hint of a frown. 

"... You're telling me he's a plain old human?" N approached the taller but younger boy and reached to take his chin into a hand, cold fingers squishing Hyuk's cheeks. His face was turned left and right, chin pulled down as the tanned man peered into his confused eyeballs. "Is he capable of seeing our guests?" Ravi shook his head in response, leaning himself lazily against N's desk and yawning. "Well then, that won't do, will it? Hyuk, do you have a strong sixth sense?" Hyuk's confusion turned into bewilderment and he pulled himself abruptly out of N's hand. 

"What do you mean 'seeing our guests'? Sixth sense?!" 

The next moment, N's chilly hand covered his eyes, and he felt a cloudiness fill his head. His legs buckled slightly, stumbling at the sudden dizziness. "W-what are you..." And the next second, all he saw was black as he fell into N's arms, and the last thing he heard was a small hushed chuckle.