1. Irish Spring

Trace

Jinki has never thought of this particular aspect of himself as a gift. He is not a synesthete; if anything, he wishes that he had synethesia related to music - something which he thinks could serve him better given how much he loves it. 

There's nothing amazing or fancy about what he has, which is a stronger than normal sense of smell. Plain and simple.

He welcomes a bout of cold (both the illness and the weather) when it comes. At least the smells become muted somewhat.  

"Bless you, hyung," says the cafe's boy Friday, Taemin, after he sneezes for the nth time that morning. The bakery-slash-cafe has yet to open for the day, and he has just stepped in from the cold. 

"Lee Jinki-sshi. Go home. You should not be spreading your germs anywhere," Kibum, the manager, curtly admonishes him.

But Jinki has nowhere else to go. His apartment's building management is having the premises fumigated that morning, and even with the cold and multiple masks muffling everything, the fumes are unbearable.  

Jinki hangs his head in shame and mutters an apology into his mask. He does know better, having been working as a baker for nearly five years, with ten months being at this particular bakery/cafe. But he cannot bear not being at his baking station.

"No need to be so glum, hyung." He is enveloped in a rainy green fragrance before he feels a hand touch his shoulder and looks up to see the barista smiling at him gently. "Take this time to rest. You know Kibum's just looking out for you, too, he's just a bit less sweet about it," he continues in a louder voice toward the direction of the older man.

"Shut up, Choi, and open the doors. If I see you here in the next ten minutes, Lee Jinki, I'm docking your pay." Minho rolls his eyes and ambles away from Jinki as Kibum turns away to head toward the back, presumably to take out the pastries chilling in the fridge and lay them out on display. 

"I'm sorry, sir. I'll come back tomorrow," Jinki addresses the back of the manager's retreating person exiting toward his haven. 

“Don’t bother coming back until you’re better.” He hears when he eventually turns around and approaches the exit.

”Hyung, wait!” That’s odd, Taemin is usually milky honey and ramyeon, if that made sense.

“Kibum-hyung told me to give you this.” Taemin smiles his cheeky smile as he holds out a steaming takeaway cup. 

Jinki is surprised by the gesture. The manager? He murmurs his thanks to Taemin and walks toward the subway station near the cafe, warmed somewhat by the drink in his hands and the aroma of lemon all but drowning out everything else. 

***

 

 

 

Hi. 

So. Um. This is my first attempt (in a long time) to continue beyond the forewords. lol. Sorry for the really short first chapter. While writing, it just occurred to me to make this a chaptered fic. I'll probably still add to the first chapter. Thanks for reading to this point. :D - Liz