The Present

The Gift of Today
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After Ryosuke stepped out of the car, the cab drove away and he instantly fell to his knees. 

 

"You've got to be kidding me..." He uttered, feeling all of his remaining hope seep through his chest. A huge "Closed For Business" sign was placed at the door. The windows had been covered with newspapers from the inside and a huge lock chain hung at the entrance. 

 

Not knowing what to do next and seeing that it was already midnight, Ryosuke needed a place to stay just so he could recollect his thoughts. 

 

The first person he could think of was Daiki but he was living with Rei and Ryosuke knew nothing about this stranger. Therefore, he went with his second choice, Yuto. 

 

"Hey, Yuto." Ryosuke said into the phone once the latter picked up. 

 

"Hey Ryo, what is it?" 

 

"Uhh- Do you mind if I stay the night? It's just that uhh... Mariya and I fought and I need a place to crash at." 

 

"Yeah sure." 

 

"Thanks, what's your address?"

 

"We hang out at my place every month, Ryosuke. You really forgot where I live?" 

 

"I'm just uhhh giving it to my cab driver. He wants the actual address." 

 

"Oh..." Yuto said as Ryosuke sighed in relief. He was glad that Yuto actually believed his excuse.

 

After receiving his address, the two hung up and Ryosuke began walking to Yuto's place. He was glad that his childhood friend had the same address compared to his "real" life. It made the commute a lot easier. 

 

Soon enough, Ryosuke arrived at the building. He climbed one flight of stairs then glanced at the name plate- feeling relieved once more that Yuto was just living by himself. He didn't need another shocker for the rest of the month.

 

"So what happened?" Yuto asked after inviting him in. 

 

"Everything... everything has been going downhill actually.." 

 

"What do you mean?" 

 

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you..." Ryosuke begun but stopped shortly after hearing the doorbell ring. "Are you expecting someone?" He asked.

 

"Yeah, my girlfriend. Perfect timing, actually. I want to introduce her to you.." Yuto told him, nervously chuckling.

 

"EH? You have a girlfriend?" Ryosuke exclaimed nervously. "Do I know who she is?!" He asked, hoping that he answers with the name "Sayuri" who happens to be Yuto's actual girlfriend- well back in Ryosuke's previous life that is.

 

"I'm pretty sure you remember her.." Yuto answered, opening the door to reveal someone all too familiar to him. 

 

Ryosuke's eyes immediately widened after instantly recognizing the short girl at the entrance.

 

"Rio-chan?" 

 

"Hey sweetie." Yuto greeted her, pulling her in for a tight hug. Immediately, Ryosuke stiffened and felt his heart begin to race. He glanced back and forth between his childhood friend and the love of his life, not believing what his eyes were seeing. 

 

"Eh?" Was all he could utter.

 

"Rio-chan and I have been meeting up recently... Then a week ago, we finally decided to date. Funny how fate works huh..." 

 

When Ryosuke refused to reply, Yuto raised an eyebrow and questioned him further. "Hey, are you okay?"

 

"Ye-Yeah.." Ryosuke stuttered, lowering his eyes. He felt his chest tighten and for some reason, he began to feel furious at Yuto. He knew that Yuto couldn't have possibly known that Rio was his in another world but seeing them together broke his heart.

 

"I'm gonna go." Ryosuke said, walking towards the door. 

 

"Eh- Already?" 

 

"Yeah." He replied, passing them by the door. "Take care of her, Yuto... You have no idea how lucky you are..."

 

Before the two of them were able to say anything, Ryosuke quickly slammed the door behind him and made his way down the building.

 

After half an hour of mindless walking, he finally decided to take a seat on a bench by the river. When he made sure that no one was around, he released all of his frustrations out into a loud yell. He then ruffled his hair furiously before punching the seat with his fist, feeling the pain transfer from his heart to his fingers. After a couple of minutes of panicing alone, he finally caught his breath, laid back on the seat, and heavily sighed.

 

"What did I get myself into?" Ryosuke sighed, feeling tears swell up in his eyes. He reminisced the time Rio confessed to him with 1000 balloons and he smiled sadly, remembering that warm feeling he had in his chest when they shared their first kiss together on that same exact day. 

 

His smile vanished when he thought about their most recent argument. It was his fault that he hadn't noticed how stressed she was in the recent months. He remembered talking to Rio about taking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter