step by step, i follow you

It's Sedimentary, My Love

"What are you doing?" Chanyeol asked, bending his bow legs as Baekhyun was becoming well acquainted with the ground. The boy waved Chanyeol away with his free hand, using the other to dig away at the dirt before he shaking his head furiously and crawling to a new patch.

 

"Baek?" he asked tentatively, the small boy still digging around without a response. "What's-" he began, jumping a bit when Baekhyun suddenly righted himself, a frown on his face as he looked at Chanyeol.

 

"What is it?" he asked, brows furrowed, clearly unhappy with being interrupted.

 

"You're acting weird... I wanted to know what you were doing," Chanyeol said with a pout. "You weren't responding either, I didn't know if you were okay or not."

 

Baekhyun's expression softened. "Oh..."

 

"So what were you doing?"

 

The boy looked around shiftily before gesturing for Chanyeol to come closer. "I'll tell you, but only if you keep it a secret."

 

Chanyeol bit his lip, face serious as he nodded at his friend, hands clasped tightly to his stomach with a soft hum.

 

"Grandpa told me that the rocks in this garden..." he began, looking around to make sure no one was listening in, "are magic."

 

Chanyeol's eyes widened at that as he inhaled, pressing his hands closer to his body. "M-Magic?"

 

Baekhyun nodded. "They can grant you wishes and everything! But only the shiniest and sparkliest rocks will work. Grandma said that those are the ones that were given fairy magic."

 

"Fairies?" he asked, eyes wide.

 

"Shh! Not too loud, or people will hear you, Yoda!"

 

Chanyeol's hand flew up to his mouth to cover it up.

 

"So will you help me look?”

 

The boy nodded furiously and his friend broke out in a toothy grin. “Alright, Yoda. Let’s get us some wishes!”

 

~~~~~

 

They ended that day with their pockets filled to the brim with rocks, Chanyeol’s mother scolding him when she saw all the dirt collected on his pants. The boy couldn’t find it within him to care, not when he got to see Baekhyun’s dazzling smile every time they came across a particularly shiny rock.

 

His best friends since diapers, Baekhyun always seemed to have this effect on Chanyeol. The boy could never really explain why, but the more he tried to make sense of it, the less he seemed to care. Baekhyun’s smile was enough to keep him content.

 

It was also Baekhyun’s smile that got him in trouble for stupid things.

 

It was that smile that got Chanyeol to climb one of the taller trees in the park, ripping his pants as the boy scrambled up the trunk to join his friend on a thick branch. It was that smile that got him to take a mint from a restaurant, causing mild panic in the boy before he realized that the mints were complimentary. It was that smile that got him to approach a flighty cat, leaving the both of them covered in scratches that left scars on their hands.

 

Looking back on it all, Chanyeol supposes it’s something they can laugh about comfortably now.

 

They’ve been together for as long as he can remember and he can only hope they’ll stay together for just as long.

 

They walk down their street together, Baekhyun stopping every so often to inspect a rock before straightening up and continuing on his way. He had stopped believing in that kind of magic long after his grandparents passed, but still found himself holding onto that little memory of them.

 

Admittedly, it did hurt Chanyeol a bit on the inside whenever he saw the small boy pick up a rock triumphantly, looking up to the heavens and murmuring something softly before pocketing it, but he supposes if Baekhyun’s happy, that’s all that really matters.

 

The two make it to Baekhyun’s home, though at this point, it might as well have been Chanyeol’s as well. The taller dropped his bag on the foot of Baekhyun’s bed, plopping himself on the comforter as the smaller took off his school blazer, placing it neatly on his chair with a sigh. Chanyeol’s gaze drifts to the windowsill as the smaller changes into comfier clothes, gaze falling on a collection of rocks. He smiles.

 

“Hey Baek?” he calls, the smaller responding with a hum before taking a seat on the bed. Chanyeol reaches into his pocket, producing a beautifully smooth stone, sparkling in the light when held at the right angle. “I found you another one.”

 

Baekhyun smiled as he leaned forward, picking up the rock from Chanyeol’s outstretched palm.

 

“Where’d you get this one?”

 

“I was at the beach with my family over the weekend and I thought it looked nice.”

 

“Thanks, Yeol,” Baekhyun said, clasping his hands around the stone as he held it close to his chest, eyes closed for a moment before he put it on the windowsill with the rest.

 

“What did you wish for?”

 

Baekhyun smiled. “That grandpa and grandma are doing well in heaven. Or wherever they are,” the boy sighed wistfully. “Do you think they’re together?”

 

“If I knew your grandparents, nothing would be able to keep them apart.”

 

Baekhyun chuckled as he lay down on the bed next to Chanyeol. “They were always inseparable, huh?”

 

“You can say that again.”

 

The smaller sighed as the two sat in silence for a moment. “What about you?”

 

“What about me?”

 

“What do you wish for?”

 

“I don’t have any rock to wish on.” Chanyeol said, stretching his arms above his head.

 

“What if you did? What would you wish for?”

 

“Probably to pass my math test.”

 

Baekhyun let out an airy laugh. “Of all the things to wish for, you wish to pass your test? You wouldn’t wish to win the lottery? Or to be able to fly?”

 

“I don’t think you understand, Baek. I’m gonna need some divine intervention to pass that test.”

 

“Or maybe you could just study for it?”

 

Chanyeol rolled over onto his side, long arm stretched across Baekhyun’s stomach as he pulled him closer. “But I’m busy.”

 

“Doing what?”

 

“Spending some time with my bestest best friend in this world.”

 

“Uh-huh. I’m sure Ms. Kwon is gonna love that excuse when you fail.”

 

Chanyeol pouted. “I’m hurt, Baek. It’s almost like you don’t believe in my ability to pass that test.”

 

“That might have to do with the fact that I don’t trust you to pass the test. Hell, you don’t even trust yourself to pass the test,” Baekhyun chuckled, nuzzling into the taller’s embrace. “You’re lucky you give cozy hugs, or else I would’ve thrown you off my bed by now.”

 

“I forget you’re a big scary hapkido master sometimes…”


“I’m not big, scary, or a hapkido master.” Baekhyun said, brows raised in amusement.

 

“You’re big! To… toddlers. And you’re better at hapkido than I am, so to me, you’re a master.”

 

“And what about the scary part?”

 

“Oh, that’s not even an argument, you’re totally scary.”

 

“Excuse you, I’m like, the least scary person around.”

 

“I’d beg to differ.”

 

“Okay, says the one that makes toddlers cry when he walks by the park.”

 

“That’s not my fault! I’m like a walking skyscraper to them, okay? That doesn’t mean I’m a scary person!”

 

“Right, you’re only scary looking. Because that’s definitely much better.”

 

“You know, I’m really glad we see eye-to-eye on this.” Chanyeol laughed. Baekhyun rolled his eyes, smiling nonetheless.

 

“You’re an idiot.”

 

“But I’m your idiot~” Chanyeol reminded him.

 

“Yes, and I’m still eagerly awaiting the day I can pawn you off to the next unsuspecting idiot who happens to come around.”

 

“Aw Baek, you don’t mean that. You lo~ove me!”

 

“Keep telling yourself that, Yoda.” Baekhyun laughed as he pried himself out of Chanyeol’s grasp, sitting up on his bed with a sigh. Chanyeol followed suit, crossing his legs on Baekhyun’s bed as he leaned forward slightly, cocking his head to the side as he watched the smaller stretch before getting on his feet.

 

“Where’re you going, Baek?” he asked as the smaller turned to spare a look at him. “Come back to bed, Baekkie-boo~” he cooed with a large smile, the elder only rolling his eyes at his friend.

 

“Getting away from you,” he said lightly, pulling the chair away from his desk and taking a seat.

 

Chanyeol pouted. “But why? I’m so nice and warm and sweet and cuddly and loveable! I’m like a giant teddy bear!”

 

“Don’t flatter yourself, Yeol,” Baekhyun said with an airy chuckle as he reached into his bag, pulling out his notebook. He rolled his eyes when he saw Chanyeol’s lip jut out a bit more. “I need to study, giant. I actually plan on passing that test tomorrow.”

 

“I’ll pass!” Chanyeol insisted. “I might need a little rock magic, but I’ll be fine!”

 

“Keep telling yourself that, Yoda.” Baekhyun said with a chuckle as he flipped through his textbook, Chanyeol flopping back on the bed with a sigh, tapping a rhythm out on his stomach with his fingers.

 

They sit in a comfortable silence for some time after, Chanyeol tilting his head in Baekhyun’s direction to get a glimpse of the smaller boy, brows furrowed in concentration as he scribbled formulas onto his paper.

 

The giant smiled before turning his attention to the ceiling of the room. The two had known each other for as long as they could remember, been best friends for just as long. Chanyeol raises his hand to his face, inspecting the scar on his palm that ran from the centre down to his wrist. He gave it a small smile before looking back at his friend with a contented sigh.

 

“Do you ever think about all the stupid stuff we’ve done together?” Chanyeol muses, breaking the silence in the room.

 

“You ask that like we’ve ever done anything together that wasn’t stupid.” Baekhyun responded without looking up from his notes.

 

“Hand?” Chanyeol asked, inching a bit closer to where Baekhyun was at his desk, holding out his scarred hand. Baekhyun wordlessly reached out his hand for Chanyeol to see, a matching scar on the smaller boy’s opposite hand, starting at the base of his thumb, extending almost as far as the base of his pinky finger.

 

Chanyeol laced their fingers together silently. “Do you ever regret the stupid stuff we’ve done together?”

 

Baekhyun looked up from his notes for a moment, turning back to Chanyeol with his brows furrowed. “Of course not, you big idiot. What would I have to regret?”

 

Chanyeol shrugged. “That cat did a number on your pretty little hand.”

 

Baekhyun pulled his hand out of Chanyeol’s grasp, earning himself a small whine from the giant. “It did on you too, but do you regret that day we spent together?”

 

“I mean…”

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “We got bandaged up almost immediately after and then grandpa and grandma brought us out for ice cream. I wouldn’t really consider that a bad memory.”

 

“I guess not…”

 

The small boy turned back to his notes with a smile, picking up his pen and spinning it between his fingers. “I like to see it as a reminder of all the dumb things we’ve done as friends. And probably all the dumb things we’re gonna do together when we get older, too.”

 

Chanyeol stared at his friend, feeling his heart thumping dully in his chest. “But what happens when you get a boyfriend and then you love him with all your heart and then there’s no more room for me and then you forget about me?”

 

Baekhyun laughed softly. “I guess I’ll just erase the scar off my hand along with every memory I’ve had before meeting him. I’m not gonna forget about you if I get a boyfriend, dumbo.”

 

“What if he doesn’t want you hanging out around me anymore?”

 

“Then I guess I’m getting myself a new boyfriend.”

 

“But-“

 

Baekhyun hummed as he began scribbling on his papers again. “Not up for discussion, Yeol.”

 

The giant gave the boy a small smile before looking back up at the ceiling, trying to ignore the thumping in his chest.

 

~~~~~

 

Byun Baekhyun and Park Chanyeol were many things, but they were definitely not dating. Even though Chanyeol really wished they were.

 

The two of them have always been very touchy people, more often opting to lean on one another or lace their hands together than not. Chanyeol likes to think it means a bit more to Baekhyun when they hold hands, as opposed to when the small boy holds hands with any of their other friends, likes to think that, at times, he is the only one that truly matters.

 

He wonders if Baekhyun ever thinks about him as much as he thinks about Baekhyun. If every rock Baekhyun sees reminds him of Chanyeol like it does for the giant.

 

But the number of times Baekhyun has vehemently denied a relationship between the two in front of new friends, the number of times it looked like the sheer idea was nothing short of ridiculous- it was clear that Baekhyun didn’t feel the same way.

 

For now, he can only hope that the smaller will one day reciprocate his feelings. Until then, Chanyeol’s content with being best friends.

 

They walk to school together as they always do, Chanyeol retelling a story animatedly as Baekhyun shifts his glasses out of the way to rub the sleep out of his eyes, much too tired that morning to even bother with his contacts.

 

He smiles as he sees Baekhyun yawn, nodding along tiredly to the giant’s story, more shuffling down the street than he was walking. He let out a soft hum of acknowledgement every few sentences or so, and Chanyeol just wanted to wrap him up in blankets and never let him go.

 

Baekhyun only becomes semi-alert when he spots a nice rock on the ground, bending over to pick it up, inspecting it in his hand before leaving it on the ground, straightening up with another yawn, looking as groggy as ever.

 

They make it to school not long after, Chanyeol walking Baekhyun to his classroom, taking the empty seat in front of the smaller boy as a few other students filed into the room. Baekhyun puts his head on the table, not caring how his glasses shifted uncomfortably on his face.

 

“How late did you sleep last night?” Chanyeol asked, resting his head on one hand. “You look terrible.”

 

“I feel terrible.”

 

“Are you at least ready for the test?”

 

Baekhyun yawned, only offering him a small shrug as his eyelids fluttered shut. Chanyeol bit the inside of his lip, sliding one strap of his backpack off his shoulder to go through its contents. He got to his feet as he pulled out a small strawberry milk carton and a cookie, putting it on the desk before ruffling Baekhyun’s hair.

 

“Eat up, Baek. You need the energy.”

 

Baekhyun only hummed in reply, a sign that he was already half asleep. Chanyeol rolled his eyes with a smile, carefully pulling the smaller’s phone out of his pocket, setting an alarm for a few minutes before class started. He left the device near Baekhyun’s head with a gentle exhale.

 

“What would you do without me?” he asked the unconscious boy softly. Chanyeol stuck his hands in his pocket and turned to leave, stopping in his tracks as his hand grazed a small rock. He pulled it out with a smile, quietly wishing Baekhyun good luck on his test before leaving it on the boy’s desk. He ruffled Baekhyun’s hair once more, watching the boy’s head tilt a little in response before going to his own classroom.

 

~~~~~

 

“You’re so whipped for him,” Jongdae said, sitting comfortably with his legs up on his desk. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d think you two were dating.”

 

“What are you going on about?” Chanyeol asked, eyes narrowing at his friend as he took his seat next to him.

 

“You and Baek. I know you were over at his classroom being all lovey dovey again. Does that boy even know you like him?”

 

“What do you mean ‘again’? We’re never lovey dovey,” Chanyeol said, voice lowering a bit. “He fell asleep anyways, so we didn’t even really get to talk…”

 

Jongdae scoffed. “Whipped.”

 

“Am not.”

 

“So what was it today? Granola bar and some juice?”

 

Chanyeol averted eye contact, pulling his books out of his bag. “It was milk and a cookie.”

 

“Did you leave him a rock?”

 

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “You know I always leave him a rock before a test.”

 

Jongdae whistled. “Touchy, touchy, Park. Calm down Yeollie, it’s not like I’m after your boyfriend or anything.”

 

“He’s not my boyfriend,” Chanyeol muttered almost dejectedly. “We’re just friends.”
 

“Why don’t you change that? Just ask him out. There’s no point in waiting, you know Baek would say yes to you in a heartbeat.”

 

Chanyeol pulled his lips into a tight line, wanting to deny his friend’s claim but unable to get the words out. Jongdae smirked, leaning back in his chair as the classroom door swung open, their teacher’s shrill voice yelling at the boy for having his feet on the desk.

 

Jongdae shrunk back, muttering apologies as he sat back normally in his chair, giving Chanyeol a small glare when the giant tried, and failed, to muffle his laughter.

 

~~~~~

 

They meet up at lunch at their usual table in the cafeteria, lounged as comfortably as they could on the hard plastic chairs. Chanyeol smiled when he saw Baekhyun sipping innocently at the strawberry milk he had left for him that moment.  

 

His eyes met with Jongdae’s knowing ones for a moment, the older smiling mischievously before turning his attention to Baekhyun.

 

“So, how’d your test go?” he asked, taking a bite of his lunch. Baekhyun gave him a smile.

 

“Surprisingly, not that bad! I honestly would’ve slept through it if Yeol didn’t set an alarm on my phone, but I was up on time and I had a good luck rock and a cookie to keep me awake. So I think I at least passed it.”

 

“Wow, how sweet of Chanyeol,” Jongdae said, exaggerating his words. “He’d probably make a great boyfriend. Wouldn’t you agree, Baek?”

 

Chanyeol glared at Jongdae, but his attention was on Baekhyun, who was giving him a strange look. “I mean, yeah, I’m sure he would be,” Baekhyun began before looking back at Chanyeol, tugging lightly on one of his ears. “If someone is open to dating overgrown fairies.”

 

“H-Hey!” Chanyeol sputtered. Baekhyun only laughed.

 

“Calm down, you know I love your overgrown ears, Chanyeol.”

 

Jongdae grinned, focus going back to his lunch as Baekhyun cooed at Chanyeol, causing the tips of the giant’s ears to go red.

 

Sometimes he really hated Jongdae.

 

~~~~~

 

Their senior year of high school was some of the best and worst times for Chanyeol.

 

The general stress of getting good grades to be considered by his top universities was worse than any other stress he had encountered in his high school career, but if there’s anything that made it better, it was Baekhyun. After school study sessions with the smaller, the trips they’d take together to find new places to eat- it made it all worthwhile.

 

Sometimes they’d find themselves in the other’s room at the break of dawn, staring up at the ceiling as they lay side by side in silence.

 

“Do you think we’ll still be friends, even if we don’t make it into the same school?” Baekhyun murmured into the darkness one night. “I don’t know what I’d do if we weren’t still friends.”

 

Chanyeol only smiled, finding Baekhyun’s scarred hand in the dark and giving it a quick squeeze. “You couldn’t get rid of me if you tried.

 

Other times, they’d spend their time together in their school’s library, caught in barely-productive study sessions.

 

“What did you get for question 3?” Chanyeol asked one day as they were seated in their usual spot, textbooks and notes strewn across the table. There was silence between the two for a moment causing the giant to look up from his notes. “Baek?”

 

The smaller boy blinked. “Hmm?”

 

“What did you get for number 3?” Chanyeol asked again, the smaller boy shaking his head and flipping through his notes.

 

“Right, uh…” he mumbled as his finger ran down the page, looking for the answer.

 

“Baek? Are you okay?” Chanyeol asked. “You seem… kinda out of it.”

 

The smaller pursed his lips for a moment before deflating with a sigh, not bothering to come up with excuses. He knows Chanyeol could see right through it if he tried. “You know Sehun, right?”

 

“Is he the one in your homeroom?”

 

“Yeah. He, uh… He asked me out earlier today.”

 

A lump formed in Chanyeol’s throat. “Did he?” he asked, trying not to sound strained. “What did you say?”

 

If Baekhyun noticed anything weird, he didn’t make a show of it. He only spun his pencil between his fingers, staring down at his textbook.

 

“It was a little sudden, so I told him I’d get back to him on it.”

 

Chanyeol couldn’t help the small chuckle that escaped his lips at that, though the lump in his throat showed no signs of disappearing. “You sound like you’re scheduling an appointment more than a potential date.”

 

Baekhyun frowned a bit and Chanyeol felt a pang in his heart. “Yeol, be serious! I’m having a crisis here! I don’t know what to do.”

 

“Do you want to go out with the dude?”

 

Please say no, please say no, please say no-

 

“I mean… I wouldn’t be entirely opposed to it.”

 

.

 

“Then I guess you have your answer then.” Chanyeol said, swallowing hard.
 

“But… I’ve never been on a date before. What if something goes wrong? What if everything goes wrong?”

 

“What would go wrong?”

 

“Maybe I’ll dress badly and he’ll think I’m a slob and hate me! Maybe we’ll eat dinner and I’ll get food stuck in my teeth and he’ll be too nice to say anything so I’ll look like an idiot the entire evening! Maybe- “

 

“Baek, if he’s that superficial to not like you anymore based on what you look like, he’s not worth your time.”

 

“Then… what if he turns out to be an ?”

 

“You don’t need to go on any more dates with him then.”

 

“What if he thinks that I’m the ?”

 

“That would probably require you to, I don’t know, be an ?”

 

Baekhyun looked over at him, opening his mouth to speak but closing it again when he found nothing to say.

 

“There’s no harm in going out with him once. If things work out, then they work out.”

 

“And if they don’t?”
 

Chanyeol ignored the butterflies in his stomach.

 

“Then come back to me.”