It's Not Funny!

Quit Playing With My Heart (2 Shots Story)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Lately, there had been rumors about Kim Jong Kook and his Running Man co-show member Song Ji-hyo being in a love relationship. Though there has never been a solid proof, but with the members and production staffs started to tease between the two, Jong Kook started to feel uncomfortable. Not because he dislikes Ji-hyo, but because he’s afraid that people will finally saw his real feelings towards her.

Yes. He had been keeping his crush at Ji-hyo for many years now. In the past when Gary is still around, he could freely keep his feelings without anyone giving attention. But now, when Gary was no longer around, the focus had turned to him and Ji-hyo, especially since many others had married while Kwang Soo had just declared that he’s in a relationship. The only singles left in the show was him, Ji-hyo, Se-chan and Somin. But because Se-chan and Somin is still considered young, there’s no rush to force them into marriage or see them in a relationship.

With Ji-hyo sometimes play along with all the gossips and teases; it makes it even harder for Jong Kook to hide his feelings. His slightest interaction with Ji-hyo will be highlighted by the members and they will team up teasing him and Ji-hyo. Jong Kook didn’t know how else to protect himself from being too obvious.

For example, in one of the episodes where the male’s photos were combined with female guests and members, Jong Kook had unexpectedly commented that it would be nice if he and Ji-hyo get a daughter since the combination looks pretty. He was stunned by his own words but luckily nobody noticed and made an issue about it. This is the kind of thing that worries him.

And Ji-hyo’s reaction to their gossips didn’t help either. In the episode where they started off with some sort of press conference because of Kwang Soo’s dating news with Lee Sun Bin, when Jong Kook stated that he really wish he could date someone this year, Ji-hyo suddenly interfered hinting Jong Kook that she’s there and available to date him. Not only Jong Kook but everyone was shocked with the sudden comment from Ji-hyo. Despite smiling and thinking that Ji-hyo was just joking, Jong Kook’s heart almost explodes from the teases. And what surprises him was how Ji-hyo acted like it was not a big deal and continues being her natural self as if she never drops the bomb to his heart.

Things were getting harder when in one episode, Se-Chan purposely lose a game so that Ji-hyo could be partnered with Jong Kook. Both Jong Kook and Ji-hyo objected his act but others simply supported Se-Chan. Throughout the game, everyone kept teasing Jong Kook and Ji-hyo. Every tiny interaction will be cheered by the other members and guests as if they were a real couple. Although Ji-hyo played along, joining them with the cheers and all, Jong Kook had to act serious to cover himself. It’s just impossible for him to show his true feelings in front of others. He’s not Gary. He just can’t play along.

Though he tried so hard to cover his feelings, at the end of the show, when they both were announced as winners, they automatically hugged each other happily since they were losing in each game for the whole day. Even when Jae Suk mentioned about it, they didn’t seem to care anymore and just enjoy their victory. Of course for Jong Kook, it was more than that. To win it with someone he secretly love, to see the happiness on Ji-hyo’s face, that was more meaningful than any other prizes.

Things were getting good onwards. Jong Kook had even bravely played his character by calling Ji-hyo ‘yeobo’ (honey) in one episode. Even if it’s just to win the game for himself, his openness had make the whole place burst out with laughter especially for Ji-hyo.

 

With things seems to be good for both of them, Ji-hyo thought their friendship is still the same as before if not any better. Even if she felt something deeper with Jong Kook, she’s a good actress. She knew how to pretend normal. For her, whatever gossips that people threw about them, they were still good friends, close friends. So one day she had asked Jong Kook to come for lunch with her family since they had been asking about him. But Jong Kook answered that he has to attend an event so he can’t make it to Ji-hyo’s. Ji-hyo accepted the reason.

But to her surprise, during the next opening episode of Running Man, So Min blurted that she had asked Jong Kook to have coffee with her and he really came with few of his friends. It was on the same day that Jong Kook said he has an event and couldn’t go to Ji-hyo. While everyone was laughing with the entire story, Ji-hyo suddenly realized that Jong Kook had lied to her. And it’s the first time Jong Kook did that. And for the sake of entertaining Somin? It hurt. It really hurt her. But of course she could hide her frustration well.

After the shoot, all of them decided to have a meal together. Jong Kook offered Ji-hyo to ride his car but Ji-hyo refused and wanna ride with Jae-suk. At the restaurant, when Jong Kook pointed at Ji-hyo there’s a seat next to him, Ji-hyo went to sit next to Jae-suk and Kwang Soo. Jong Kook started to feel that Ji-hyo is trying to avoid him. He secretly texted Ji-hyo and tell her that he’ll send her home but Ji-hyo didn’t reply at all. Jong Kook saw her reading the message but didn’t bother to reply at all. That’s weird. Jong Kook didn’t know what happen between them but he knows he needs to talk to her. So he thought he will make sure that Ji-hyo goes back with him. Except that by the time they were leaving, Ji-hyo had actually left with a taxi. Once again Jong Kook was surprised. He tried to call her but no answer.

“Hyung, is everything okay?” Kwang Soo asked.

“Yeah….It’s just…..How come Ji-hyo took a taxi going home? Why didn’t she ask any of us for a lift?”

“Ohh….She said she’s in a hurry…I didn’t even realized when she took the taxi….”

“Well….that’s weird….”

“Aih hyung…If you’re so worried, just call her…”

“Tried to…But she didn’t answer…..Also another weird thing….”

“What, hyung? Are you suggesting that someone kidnap her?”

“No, silly…..It’s just that, she never ignore my calls this much. I understand if she has shooting, but not during free time like this….”

“Hyung, just give it a time. Maybe she’s busy doing something.”

“In a taxi? Like what?”

“Like….sleeping…..Who knows if she’s sleeping…..You know how she was when she’s sleeping…….Or maybe…..she’s knitting….You know knitting needs to use both hands and fingers…”

Kwang Soo illogical answer only resulted to a hit on his head from Jong Kook.

“Ouchh! Hyung!”

“Can you be serious for once?” Jong Kook asked.

“Aih hyung….If you love Ji-hyo noona so much, you should just confess to her. At least you can show your concern without hiding it from anyone.”

“Mwuh? What are you talking about? Don’t make silly assumption, Kwang Soo ah.”

“Silly? Are you saying that you didn’t have any feelings for her? Really, hyung?”

“I don’t have anything to say to you. Let’s go now. Or do you wanna go back by yourself?”

“A-ni! A-ni! Let’s go, hyung!”

They both ride Jong Kook’s car.

 

Ji-hyo had just sat on her sofa when she received another text message from Jong Kook. She knew she had no right to be angry when Jong Kook decided to meet Somin. But Jong Kook can just tell the truth. Why must he lie? Did their friendship finally start to crumble?

Jong Kook

Ji-hyo

Getting a reply from Ji-hyo, Jong Kook quickly called her with hope that she will answer his call. But Ji-hyo still didn’t answer. Jong Kook wondered if there’s anything wrong that he did towards Ji-hyo but he couldn’t think of any. It is surely a big one since Ji-hyo never gets angry at him like this.

 

The next day of shooting, Jong Kook tried to be friendly with Ji-hyo. But Ji-hyo is still running away from him. Finally Jong Kook decided that he needs to settle everything with Ji-hyo once and for all. So after shooting, he went straight to Ji-hyo’s house before she could reach home.

When Ji-hyo arrived, she was surprised to see Jong Kook in front of her door.

“Oh, oppa! What are you doing here?”

“Waiting for you.”

“Me? Why?” Ji-hyo acted clueless.

“I think, we need to talk.”

“We are talking now……aren’t we?”

“Ji-hyo ah, I think we both realized that you’ve been avoiding me for the past few days.”

“Mwuh? Haha….Oppa, you must be dreaming…..I’m fine….I’m not avoiding you……or anyone….”

“Ji-hyo ah, please…..Can we talk about this inside?”

“No! Why must inside? What if you kill me then?”

Jong Kook burst out in laughter while flicking Ji-hyo’s forehead.

“Arghh, oppa!!”

“Yah! Am I that cruel to you?”

“Who knows?”

“Ji-hyo ah, please………” Jong Kook begged.

“Fine…..”

They both entered the house and took place on the sofa. Jong Kook sat in the middle while Ji-hyo sat at the end of the sofa.

“Why are you sitting so far away from me?”

“Just because……”

Ji-hyo didn’t finish he words. Jong Kook turned sideways to face her.

“So…..let it out….” Jong Kook stated.

“Let….what….out?”

“Ji-hyo ah, I know there’s something that I did that upset you. But I just can’t think what was it. So please tell me so that I can apologize and explain in case you misunderstood anything.”

“……I don’t think…..I misunderstood…….”

“See? It means that there’s something that upset you. Ji-hyo ah, for whatever it was, let me apologize first. Okay? Please know that never in a million years that I wanna upset you with anything. I’m sure it was beyond my sane mind.”

“I don’t think it’s hard to realize when you lied to someone, purposely or not.”

“Lied? Me? What did I lie about? Ji-hyo ah, I’m sure there’s a misunderstanding here. I will never lie to you, Ji-hyo ah.”

“Really? Then I guess you going for a coffee with Somin just happen naturally huh? Was that the event that you mention when you rejected coming for lunch with my family?”

That hit Jong Kook’s mind automatically. He only realized now that he did lie to Ji-hyo when he rejected her invitation. He swiped his face with his own hands feeling ashamed at Ji-hyo.

“Why are you quiet? Coz you did lie right?” Ji-hyo keeps questioning.

“Ji-hyo ah…..I……”

“I get it that everyone loves Somin now. Somin is funny, Somin is cute, Somin this, Somin that…..I get it…..But you don’t have to lie if you really like her that much! Just tell me that you’re going out with her. Why need to lie?”

“No! Ji-hyo ah, that’s not true at all.”

“Which part is not true? That you like Somin? Or that she’s cute? Which part?”

“Ji-hyo ah, I didn’t like Somin the way you think okay? She’s just like a sister to me.”

“Ohh really? Hahah…..funny coz it’s obvious that you like her. You care so much about her. Everything she did was funny for you. And you even lie to me just to go out with her. That’s nothing? Or do you really didn’t see me as your friend anymore, oppa? If you don’t, then I’ll be gladly being as far away from you as possible.”

“No!” Jong Kook suddenly hugged Ji-hyo, shocking her. “Please don’t avoid me anymore, Ji-hyo ah. You are mistaken about the whole thing. Please.”

Ji-hyo still couldn’t reply anything. So Jong Kook continues.

“When you invited me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter