...

Waiting Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was Friday night and he was exactly where he wanted to be.

 

Kibum sat slouched on the couch, an empty glass of wine in one hand. He is distractedly watching some rerun of a drama on the television as he waits. 

 

He could predict the way Jinki’s dates went by the time he came to his place. Eight o'clock meant that the date had been so bad he hadn't bothered to stick it out. That had only happened once. Ten o'clock signified he had managed to get through dinner, but didn't want to extend the evening any further. Eleven indicated that he had a good time and couldn't wait to rush to Kibum’s to tell him about it. Midnight meant the date had gone poorly and he'd need some time to think afterwards. Later than midnight showed he'd had a fantastic time.

 

Jinki has never slept with someone on the first date. Never. That was just his way, and Kibum appreciated it about him. He respected him, admired him. In fact, he lo-

 

"," he whispered, leaning forward to grab the bottle of wine from the coffee table. He filled his glass and sank back into a slouch.

 

On Friday nights, Kibum made it a habit to sit on his couch and wait for Jinki to come over and tell him about his dates. They are best friends and that's what friends do, right? They wait around for the man they like to describe in painstaking detail how a guy tried to kiss him or how a girl made him laugh. It never failed that Kibum imagined himself causing harm to every single one of them for ever thinking that they will ever be good enough for Jinki. 

 

Ten was his favorite time for Jinki to come to his apartment, not to mention the most common. True, it didn't give him as much time with him as an eight o'clock appearance, but it provided material for discussion and dissection, and Kibum never hesitated to point out the date-of-the-night’s flaws.

 

Kibum was always the most nervous right before eleven, and he often pictured Jinki with his date, laughing and walking hand in hand, the person leaning down to kiss him lightly-

 

Nearing eleven, he would inevitably ask himself why he sat there, torturing himself every week by imagining Jinki with other men or women, but then the latter would appear at his door and he would have his answer.

 

No matter how well the date went, Jinki always came straight to him, and he thought it had to count for something.

 

Typically, Kibum didn't slump on the couch and drink a bottle of wine while he waited. Usually he just made sure he was by the door when the hour marks approached.

 

Today had been brutal, however, so he'd taken dinner in the living room, and afterwards alternated between watching the tv and staring blankly. Every now and then, he'd glance at the clock and sink further into melancholy. It was now ten 'til midnight.

 

He tried to recall just when his feelings for Jinki had turned from friendship to more, but there hadn't been one incident that had done it. He'd just realized one day that he was in love with him and that he had been for quite some time.

 

The friendship had started when they were assigned to work together on an economics project in in university. Jinki was majoring in Political Science, Kibum in Business Administration. Very quickly they had discovered that they have a lot in common - both are very smart and participate in many extracurricular activities-  and proceeded to become best friends as they go through the fun and hard times of being university students. 

 

It has been a year since Kibum graduated, two years since Jinki did, and their friendship had only grown stronger. They also have the same group of friends, having merge their circles as they became almost inseparable during their university days. The only problem was that Kibum has fallen for Jinki, and the older seemed completely oblivious to that fact. 

 

The ringing that echoed through the apartment interrupted his thoughts, and Kibum jumped up from the couch to greet Jinki who, by the looks of it, has changed into a pair of sweatpants and a comfortable hoodie before going to Kibum’s apartment. Taking one look at Jinki’s downcast face, Kibum lead Jinki to the couch where the latter proceeded to lean himself into the other’s awaiting arms.

 

Kibum felt horrible for being so relieved that Jinki’s date had been bad. He wanted to see him happy, but in his moments of weakness, he wanted nothing more than for him to look his way for that happiness.

 

After a few minutes, Jinki gently removed himself from his embrace. Kibum loathed letting him go, but he had no choice. Jinki took a deep breath, sat back on the couch, and pulled his knees to his chest.

 

Kibum knew better than to ask questions until he was ready to talk, so they sat in silence for another few minutes. He stared at the television, now playing a variety show but he paid no attention to it. If Jinki’s date had hurt him or crossed a line he didn't want crossed ... well, he liked to think he would make them pay. But Jinki probably wouldn't let him, so he'd be stuck running the scenario through his mind instead. Though enjoyable, it wouldn't be nearly as fulfilling.

 

"What's wrong with me?" Jinki started in a whisper.

 

The question completely threw Kibum. "What do you mean?"

 

"I have been putting myself through this for twelve weeks. Twelve dates. Don’t my friends know me at all?" he lamented. 

 

Six months ago, Jinki had accepted his friends' pleas to set him up, knowing it would shut them up and at the same time, he might just meet someone. Before that, he’d dated occasionally, but nothing serious had developed-to Kibum’s relief. Then he'd been forced to endure weekly torments, and though some dates had led to seconds, none had progressed any farther.

 

"I ... I don't know what to say," he admitted. "Tonight wasn't good, I take it?"

 

"No!" he exclaimed, distress apparent on his face. "It was someone from Minho’s soccer team, and I really should have known better than to expect an intelligent conversation, but I don't know!" he huffed. "I just finished this book, and even though I knew he wouldn't have read it, we still could have discussed the theme. I was so hoping. After five minutes, I realized I'd rather be here, so you and I could talk about it."

 

Kibum's heart leapt erratically, and he had no idea how to respond. "You're always free to go here." 

 

He wanted to pound his head against the nearest wall; what a lame thing to say.

 

Jinki smiled at him though. "I know. I considered just ditching him and coming over, but I didn't know if you had plans. I didn't want to interrupt anything."

 

There was no way he could admit that he'd been sitting on his couch all night, waiting for him. "I wasn't feeling up to doing anything." Then, for pride's sake, he added, "I would not answer the door if I didn't want anyone to come."

 

Jinki nodded, not looking at him. They passed a few minutes without conversation, until he was ready to talk again.

 

"I made it through dinner," he continued. "But I was so discouraged that I ended the date immediately after and went to Hangang." 

 

Which means that he was truly bothered by this date. Jinki only comes to the Han River alone if he wants to have a clear mind over something that is agonising him. 

 

"I truly thought that at least one of my friends would suggest someone I was at least halfway compatible with." He said with a pout. "I mean, Jonghyun has known me for twelve years and Taemin is my cousin! Surely by now they'd have some idea of the type of person who would complement me."

 

"They're idiots, though," Kibum replied without any hint of malice.

 

"No they’re not,” Jinki chuckled, smiling for the first time since entering Kibum’s apartment. “But ... I expected too much, I suppose," he conceded.

 

"What about the others?" Kibum asked after a few moments.

 

"You know, to Jonghyun’s credit, he tried the hardest. He just picked people who were exactly like me. It was all right, but we didn't have much to talk about, as we tended to either agree on a subject or know nothing about what the other brought up."

 

"So you want someone who disagrees with you?" Kibum wasn't sure if he was asking the right questions.

 

"Well, on some thing, yes!" He hit the cushion beside him for emphasis. "At least someone who's not so closed-minded that they won't even consider another person's point of view. Like when you and I discussed the ongoing trade war we have with Japan. We both started with our own opinions, but I think through our discussion-loud and heated though it was at times-we both learned something from it."

 

Kibum nodded, fondly remembering other intense conversations they'd shared- may it be about politics, fashion, or even about who is the best idol group these days.

 

"And Minho!" he cried, exasperated. "He derived all his inspiration from my ex-boyfriends who coincidentally both played soccer, thinking I would be best suited for a soccer player! He entirely misunderstood the point."

 

One of the ex-boyfriends that Jinki was referring to is Haneul. They briefly dated a couple of months after he and Kibum met and was never the latter’s favorite topic of conversation.

 

"Haneul is smart and interesting, and he didn't let his popularity go to his head. The basis of my affection for him certainly wasn't based on Soccer."

 

"Minho’s a greater idiot," Kibum grumbled. If Jinki kept talking about how great Haneul had been, he feared Jinki might talk himself into going out with him again, so he wanted to keep the attention on Minho. "I’ve been witness to all his dating shenanigans since middle school. I should know this.”

 

Jinki laughed through his frustration. "Oh, but Yoona is a great girl." 

 

"Miracles could happen, I suppose," Kibum mused.

 

Jinki chuckled at that. "Agreed."

 

"And Taemin!" he continued amusedly. "I think he just wants me to get laid. He seems to think that would solve everything.”

 

Kibum disliked this topic even more than Haneul, and couldn't think of anything nice to say. He hated Lee Taemin at that moment.

 

"Taemin sets me up with these really attractive people. I swear, I think he just finds them on the street and asks them to go out with his cousin. They could be as clueless as a post, and he wouldn't care!" Jinki shook her head. "Most of them are, too. It'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter