Perhaps, it was just us.

Perhaps, it was just us.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Perhaps it was the way she smiled at you when your eyes met hers for the first time.

 

“Hello, everyone. My name is Kim Minjoo. Nice to meet you all.”

 

Murmurs filled the class as the new girl introduces herself. Yujin couldn't care less though. As usual, she was staring out the window and minding her own business.

 

“Hi! Is it okay if I sit here?”

 

Yujin sighed. ‘Out of all the empty seats, she just had to choose the one beside me', she thought. Yujin turned to tell the girl to sit somewhere else. However, to her surprise, she was met with the prettiest girl she has ever seen. The girl smiled at Yujin, showing off her lovely smile. Yujin noticed the indian dimple too.

 

“S-sure. I don't mind. I'm Ahn Yujin, by the way.”

 

Perhaps it was the way she whines whenever she lost a game.

 

“NO, NO, PLEASE LET ME WIN JUST THIS ONCE!”

 

“Sorry, Minjoo, but I'm not sacrificing my winning streak for you. And…Ahn Yujin wins again!”

 

Minjoo threw the controller onto the couch after losing for the fifth time today. Whining in defeat, she crossed her arms and pouted grumpily. ‘Cute’, Yujin thought. She proceed to take out her phone and snapped a picture of the grumpy girl. Unfortunately, the flash was on.

 

“Yujin! Delete that now!”

 

“No way. You looked so cute.”

 

Yujin wasn’t sure if her eyes were playing tricks on her or that Minjoo is actually blushing. No matter, she held onto her phone and held it up high, tip-toeing just to make sure Minjoo can't get to it.

 

However, instead of trying to reach for the phone, Minjoo hugged Yujin, her face buried in the crook of her neck. This surprised her and brought shades of red on her cheeks. Slowly, Yujin lowered her arms and left them hanging on her sides.

 

“O-Okay, Minjoo. You can let go now. I'll delete the picture.”

 

“Nah. You can keep it. I'm very comfortable like this.”

 

Still hugging the girl, Minjoo looked up into Yujin's eyes. Yujin quickly looked away to hide the embarrassment on her face. After what seemed like a minute but more like years to Yujin, Minjoo finally let go and sat on the couch.

 

“Let me see the picture. If it's cute then I'm posting it on Instagram.”

 

"O-okay."

 

Perhaps it was when she confessed her feelings.

 

“Minjoo? Why are you calling me? It's 2 a.m.”

 

“Can you open your door? It's kinda cold outside.”

 

“What? You're outside? Just… Gimme a minute.”

 

Yujin opened the door to reveal a shivering girl who was hugging tightly onto her jacket. She hurriedly invited her in.

 

“Is everything okay? Why are you here at this hour?”

 

“I'm fine, Yujin. I just… I really need to tell you something.”

 

“Go on. I'm listening.”

 

“Okay. I know this is very sudden but… Here goes. Yujin… I know we've only known each other for like, what, a month? But I really like you and not in a friend way but like, I really like, like you. Being around you makes me happy, even when I'm having a bad day. Seeing you happy also makes me happy somehow and I really don't know why but when I'm around you my heart starts to race and and and I---

 

“Minjoo.”

 

“--oh god. I bet I sound like a weirdo now, huh? I shouldn't have come here. I'm so so sorry for bothering you. Please forget everything that I just said---

 

“Minjoo.”

 

“and again I'm so sorry for bothering you. I'll go now--

 

“Minjoo!”

 

“Huh, what?”

 

“I like, like you too.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Oh? That's it?”

 

“OH! That's great! Fantastic! I mean, um, will you go out on a date with me?” Minjoo asked, staring at Yujin with hopeful eyes. Yujin smiles.

 

"Yes, yes I will."


 

Perhaps it was when she surprised you on your birthday.

 

“Happy Birthday, love!”

 

Yujin was surprised to see that her room was decorated with balloons and banners. She noticed that each balloon had a picture of them stuck to the end of the string. On the wall, there was a huge ‘HAPPY BIRTHDAY YUJIN’ banner with her face edited on it. She walked towards Minjoo and hugged her.

 

“Minjoo… This is really, really beautiful. Thank you for this.”

 

Yujin gave Minjoo a kiss on her cheek as a way of thanking her, making the elder girl smile.

 

“You're welcome, Yujin. But, that's not all. I got you a gift!”

 

“Aw, babe, you didn't have to. This is a great gift already.”

 

“Oh but you're gonna love this. Close your eyes and give me your hands.”

 

“O-Okay.”

 

Yujin felt Minjoo's palm on the back of her hands as she held her hands out towards her girlfriend. Then, she felt Minjoo placing what seems to be a piece of paper on her hands.

 

Yujin opened her eyes.

 

“Did you got me a birthday card? That's so cute.” Yujin said as she opens her eyes. However, it was not a birthday card. Instead, it was two front row tickets to Taeyeon's concert. Yujin immediately squealed.

 

“Oh my god! How did you get this?! I couldn't even get any tickets cause they were sold out within 5 minutes! Minjoo, you're absolutely the best thing that has ever happened in my life!” Yujin exclaimed in excitement, staring and holding onto the tickets as though her life depends on it

 

“I had to buy it from someone else for a higher price, but seeing you this happy, it was definitely worth it.” Minjoo said while smiling as she enjoyed the sight of her excited girlfriend.

 

“I can't believe I'm actually going to witness Kim Taeyeon singing in front of my very eyes. Wait--Isn't the concert today? As in, in a few hours?!!”

 

“Yup. Now that you're done fangirling, hurry up and change or else we'll be late for the concert! ”

 

Perhaps it was then, she fell in love with Kim Minjoo.

 

Throughout the years of dating Kim Minjoo, she noticed a lot about her. The indian dimple on her face when she smiles, how her hand fits perfectly with hers, the way she pouts when she doesn't get what she wants, the way she laughs when she does get what she wants, how her ears turn red when she lies, and amongst many other things.

 

Meeting Kim Minjoo was the best journey of her life. She fell in love with her slowly and all at once. It was like a rollercoaster that just keeps on going higher and higher. Rarely a day goes by without her thinking of Kim Minjoo.

.

.

.

.

.

How did it end up like this?

 

“Minjoo, let's go on a date! We haven't been going out lately ever since you got that new job. Won't it nice to eat out together for once?”

 

“Yujin, I told you that I'd be busy today. We're filming a new scene today and I have to be there. I'm the main character, remember? The movie can't go on without me.”

 

"But it's been so long though… Don't you miss it?"

 

"Of course I do. But I can't skip my work just to go have lunch with you. That's a very irresponsible thing to do."

 

"Ah… Okay then. Maybe next time."

 

"I gotta go now. They're calling me."

 

"Alright… Have fun at work! Bye bye, I ---"

 

The beeping noise ringed in Yujin's ear before she could even finish her sentence.

 

"---love you… "

 

Yujin sighed. She places her phone on the table that she was leaning on and looks out the window. She watches as people go about their day, some adults dressed in business attire having a coffee in a little cafe, kids walking in groups and going in and out of the shopping mall, construction workers taking a smoke break at the side of the road. She decided to take out her laptop and work on the novel that’s she recently started. T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter