Chapter 10

Adept AU - The Fairy Trilogy

“What do they do now? They’re doomed!” Andrea says, trembling as hard as she had earlier.

“We have to help them!” Adele blurts.

“But… what can we do?” Aisha says.

“Where are your friends?” the officer asks.

“Track 12…”

“Alright. If you can push back on these cronies, then head on over there with my group while we help the passengers. Deal?”

“It’s a deal, officer,” Aisha says.

“Oh! Can I ask you to do one thing, officer?” Adele asks.

“What is it, youngster?”

“Could you tell the people outside that we’re okay? I’m Adele, and this is Andrea and Aisha. Our friends Amanda-unnie, Ashley and Ariel are also okay.”

“I’ll do that when I can.”

“Thank you so much, officer!”

As the passengers flee with the officer and some of his group, Team Fire pushes back towards Track 12 with their brigade, dead set on saving Alexa and Ashley from the clutches of that dreaded leader…

-

Alexa and Amanda have now come down the stairs onto the platform. For whatever reason, it’s quiet. Yet, even if there were Scorn grunts, they wouldn’t have seen them thanks to Amanda’s invisibility.

“You’re sure no one can see us, right, unnie?”

“Yup! I’m pretty sure none of the grunts are Light Adepts, because we often can sense one another. I don’t sense any.”

To ensure that Alexa remained invisible with her, Amanda held Alexa’s hand tightly. Alexa is honestly relieved that her big unnie safe and well, and the warmth of her hand helps ease her soul.

“Alright. This is it,” Alexa says softly. “Still looks like it’s deserted around here…”

“Yea… no kidding…”

“Rats… how do we open the door? How did I not think of this?!”

“I could try to open it…”

“You sure you can do it, unnie?”

“Yea. Let me see here…” Amanda then puts her hand out and begins to feel for the inner workings of the lock. It’s a lot harder for her as she’s not an Earth Adept who can immediately latch to the metal framework, so it takes a while for her to begin to move the small pieces.

“Unnie, nothing is happening…”

“Wait! I think I have something…”

Then, there are some small clicks heard from within the door, as if there are some moving metal pieces. Sure enough, after a good while, the door opens like magic.

“Wow… that was exhausting…” Amanda pants.

“I was hoping we could have Ashley-unnie take us under by shadow, but luckily you could solve the lock. Thanks, unnie…” Alexa says.

The two girls sneak their way into the closet. It’s dark and cold, so Amanda allows her free hand to glow. It’s just the two of them.

“Ashley-unnie told me there were these words on the ground. Do you mind if I let go?”

Amanda realizes that this entire time, she’s still been holding Alexa’s hand. “Oh, not at all!”

Alexa shuffles into her pocket, taking out a crumpled piece of paper with the inscriptions that Ashley gave her:

If thou wish to reach the hangar, thou must see the unseen.
If thou wish to seek the armor, thou must root its chamber.
If thou wish to wield the armor, thou must be pure of heart.

Thou must acknowledge light and dark to enter.

“Here, unnie, I think I better explain why I needed you. Ashley-unnie said that these were written on the ground. But I don’t see them.”

Amanda scans the paper. “Hmm… I’ll see what I can do.”

There’s silence. Alexa realizes Amanda is just standing there. “Unnie, what are you…” She then notices Amanda’s irises slowly become a bright cyan color.

“Okay…” Amanda says. “I think there’s different writing… aside from that ‘light and dark’ line.”

“Really? Tell me!” She says, fumbling her pockets to find a pencil. Amanda then reads what she finds:

Lying in darkness leaves riddles to obtain what you seek.
Lying in darkness leaves the way to enter.
Lying in darkness leaves the key to power.

“Anything else?”

“There’s a small hole in the ground over there!”

“…I don’t see it!”

Amanda walks over. “There’s even a ladder! Come here, Alexa.”

Alexa hesitantly trudges to her unnie. Amanda scrunches over to where the hole apparently is. She then takes Alexa’s hand. As soon as Amanda’s hand makes contact, Alexa then suddenly sees the hole and ladder. “Whoa…” This was it.

-

Ashley and the leader have been trading clashes. Neither person has been able to lay a finger on the other, but it’s clear who has really been trying to do so: the leader, still raging with eyes blood-red like her blade, continually swings frantically at her young prey, only for it to dodge or be met by a block.

“You know you won’t be able to stop me! I am superior!”

Ashley doesn’t even offer a response.

The continual buzzes and crashes of their blades ring across the hall. The leader has tried throwing everything: jumping strikes, dark blasts, low sweeps, shadow leaps, everything. Not a scratch.

“WHY WON’T YOU HOLD STILL?!”

As the leader continues to lose her grip on her sanity, Ashley remains as calm as ever. Just as her teacher had taught her…

-

“Ashley! Remember! You are calm and gentle. That is actually your ultimate strength.”

“Why would that be, sensei? I thought our powers relied on our mind…”

“Because a clear, conscious mind allows you to use your abilities with precise control. Yes, a troubled mind usually results in more power, but unhinged power is very dangerous. That would be the easy route, but it is one that hurts everyone around you. And I know how gentle you are. Treasure your strength, Ashley. It is those who stay true to themselves who have truly unlimited potential.”

“But… I don’t ever feel that I am calm, sensei… There’s a lot that I think about… and I have trouble saying how I feel…”

“Well, Ashley, I think that whatever you wish to say to me will stay with me. I won’t tell anyone. Maybe it can help you. You’re very mature for your age, so I think that you’re better than you think you are. Remember that I will always be there for you when you need me.”

-

The leader’s teeth are clenched. Something has to give. She stares into the young prey’s eyes and there isn’t an ounce of fear. There’s something else.

“I sense fear in you… you nearly lost your friend… and my men will crush her when they find her, along with your other putrid friends! YOU WILL ALL DIE BY MY HAND!”

Still, Ashley fails to muster anything. She continues to stare down her opponent. I have to hold her off! I have to keep her here!

“Here? Wait… THE ARMOR!”

The leader frantically scrams to a shadow, but the young twelve-year old beats her to the punch, leaping into the shadow after her and booting her out.

“AAAACCCCKKKK!”

Ashley reignites her sword, letting the deep burgundy blade hum as she readies her defensive stance.

“How… RRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAGGHH!”

-

“Keep pushing!”

Team Fire and the police brigade continue their rescue mission to save Ashley and Alexa. The grunts try to counter with their guns, but they are simply no match for Andrea’s and Aisha’s prowess. Even then, any stragglers get zapped for the brigade to handcuff.

“Alright! Just down those stairs!” Andrea calls.

“Wait. Don’t you think this was a bit too easy?” Adele asks.

“Yea, unnie. Didn’t you think there were too few also?”

Then, to their horrors, an entire swarm of Scorn grunts come in, guns drawn.

“Drop your weapons! Try any funny business and you’ll bite the dust!”

“On the ground!”

“Eat that dirt!”

“Eat the wha-”

“YOU HEARD WHAT HE SAID!”

-

“You sure you want to head back out there?”

“I’m sure. I need to help the others, Alexa. I trust you to figure this out.”

“Alright. Take care out there, unnie.”

Amanda heads back outside. With the light shining from the outside, she reverts to invisibility. As she strolls down the platform, she notices it’s as eerily empty and quiet as it had been just minutes before. She then begins to think about all that has transpired… waking up from that dream with her father, finding out that Ariel has powers, the military is on its way, the three girls rescuing the passengers, Ashley deciding to hold her own against the leader, and Alexa now going to find the armor. Insanity, Amanda says in her head.

Then, a double-beep from her walkie-talkie. Indicative of a direct call from someone rather than a group one.

“Unnie! Andrea-unnie is in trouble! She’s nearby, though! Go up the stairs you came from!”

“Okay, Ariel! I’m on my way!” What could she have gotten herself into?

Still invisible, she slowly trudges up the steps. She then finds a circle of Scorn grunts, all pointing their guns at not only Andrea, but also Adele, Aisha, and some officers. Officers? With Andrea? Adele and Aisha too? Looks like I gotta make my move again…

-

“GAAAAH!”

Aisha lands hard on the ground with a thud.

“A-”

“DON’T MOVE!”

The two 12 year-olds, in horror, can only do as they are told. They’ve lost their gun controller.

“Boss! We have three of the children! We believed they managed to free the hostages!”

“TAKE THEM OUT. NOW.”

Andrea and Adele embrace for the worst.

“Uh… boss? It’s happening again! AAAAAHHHHH!!!”

The guns fire, and Andrea and Adele simultaneously scrunch their spine. The ring in their ears is near deafening, as they quickly cover their ears. It takes them a second to realize that they’re not getting hit by bullets. Once the guns cease, they slowly get up alongside the officers, who grab their pistols. The group finds the guns falling to the ground near what appears to be the corpses of the grunts. Strangely, there’s no blood, yet the bodies are all mangled.

Then, there’s a strange noise coming from a nearby counter. The group quickly turns to the source, only to find nothing. Then, in an instant, a girl appears.

“U-Unnie?!”

“…how?”

“Looks like you guys needed help.”

Andrea and Adele rush to their unnie, the former getting there first. Amanda is taken aback as she struggles to do anything with the two hugging her so tightly. Then she notices the two begin to cry. Uhhhhh…

“I’m so happy you’re okay!” Andrea says with a sniffle.

“We won’t let you get hurt!” Adele says softly.

“I’m fine… honestly!” Amanda says, trying to catch a breath with her lungs crushed. “Could you… let me go? I… can’t… breathe…” She then feels their grip soften as they pull away. “You two…” she says with a sigh as she wipes their tears away. Then she notices Aisha, who’s still not moving and lying on the ground. She quickly clamors over to her where the officers have situated themselves.

“Were any of you certified to give CPR?” an officer asks. The rest shake their heads.

“Let me see her,” Amanda says. The officers step back as she kneels down and cradles Aisha’s head, placing a hand on her forehead, before a glow begins to emanate from that hand.

“Whoa…” an officer mutters.

“Don’t worry. She should be okay,” Amanda says. Within moments, Aisha slowly begins to open her eyes.

“Unnie?” Aisha says before scrambling to get up.

“Aisha… take it easy…” Amanda says calmly.

“But… how did you get here? Are you okay, unnie?”

“Of course I’m okay! Ariel told me to find you!” Amanda says with a smile.

Aisha begins to grin from ear to ear as she hugs her unnie. “I’m so happy to see you…” she then turns around and sees Andrea and Adele sniffling. “Unnie… did you…” she doesn’t finish her sentence as she blurts out laughing. Amanda can’t help but chuckle a bit.

-

KRAAAAAAAAAK!

Ashley continues to hold her ground against a now berserk Scorn leader, sidestepping or dodging anything thrown at her. Of course, she still blocks direct strikes from the sword with her own. She’s honestly surprised that even against a seeming master, she doesn’t have a scratch on her.

Then, amidst a block, a walkie-talkie goes off.

“Boss! We have three of the children! We believed they managed to free the hostages!”

The message sends chills down Ashley’s spine. Oh no…

“TAKE THEM OUT. NOW.” The leader then slowly but eerily grins at Ashley. “It looks like your putrid little friends are now mine… fufufufufu…”

“Uh… boss? It’s happening again! AAAAAHHHHH!!!”

“No…”

In a split second, the leader finds herself moving backward as her sword no longer locked with her prey’s. Then, a sharp pain across her torso. “AAAAAAAACCCCCKKKKK!!!”

-

Alexa reaches the end of the ladder. Turning around, she finds herself in a dimly lit chamber. For some reason, there’s faintly glowing plants everywhere. In the distance is a giant overgrown tomb, which she slowly walks towards. Up close, she finds an old piece of paper.

 

To whom it may concern:

If you have reached this chamber, I figure you have been able to solve my riddles. Here I have placed the Eagle Armor that I have worked on for decades. It is still unfinished but its mechanisms are still far beyond its time. Those who wish to yield it must know that the Icarus System of which I placed in it is capable of harnessing and using energy, while also being able to convert it into either lightning, ice, or fire. This armor was meant to be the prototype of five other armors that would perfect the Icarus system, but alas, I have dedicated too much of my life to this project. I have locked it in this tomb to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands, but seeing as you have found this note, you must pass one final test. As I mentioned in a riddle, "thou must root its chamber". As such, with this final test, you must find the root of it.

Stratos

 

Alexa scans the old paper several times. What on earth? Find the root? As in the root of the test? What could that mean? Standing there in silence, Alexa begins to voice her thoughts. “Stratos had used both light and dark to hide the messages as well as the ladder to the chamber, so it has to tie to elements… but roots deal with someone who can manipulate plants… but how can we do that if no one here can do that?”

Alexa decides to search the chamber. She walks up to a glowing flower, noticing how similar it looks to an Azalea. Then, she notices a ring right under it. It’s a bright emerald green ring that looks like it could fit on her finger. Strangely, it’s not made of minerals… it's entirely metal and simplistic in its look. Out of curiosity, she picks up the ring, and like magic, her hands begin to envelop in a deep viridian aura. “What the heck…” she mutters. “Wait… I can feel the plants…” She then waves her hands as the plants begin to slowly grow and glow brighter, until she suddenly realizes that she’s standing in an underground garden of undiscovered fauna. “Whoa…” The aura around her hands then fade.

Suddenly, it hits her. “Roots…” Scrambling to the tomb, she focuses her mind. “Alright. Let’s see here…” First, she feels for the overgrown shrubs encasing the tomb, and slowly but surely, she commands them to retract into the ground. Then, she begins to feel roots embedded to the frame. Carefully, she begins to retract them and soon, the seal begins to move and break up into pieces that are attached to the roots! “Wha…” When all is said and done, there lays the armor.

As she reaches out, she then notices the ring begin to glow. Realizing this, she places the ring on her finger. Then, the armor begins to glow as an aura slowly engulfs her body from the ring. Her body slowly rises in the air as she subconsciously extends her arms and closes her eyes. The time has come.

-

Now that Alexa has found the armor, what will she do with it in regards to the station? What has happened to the leader? What's left for Amanda and Team Fire to do? Find out next chapter?

-

A/N: Hey, everyone!
So I tried to make Alexa/Yookyung's armor obtaining scene a bit similar to Samus gaining an upgrade in the Metroid Prime series. Also, if anyone knows what the Green Eagle and five other armors are a reference to, do leave a comment making a guess!

I'm also curious as to how many folks remembered there was a fairy in the prologue who controlled plant life...
Also, with Amanda/Chorong surprising/rescuing her dongsaengs, I figured I'd let EunMi go a bit soft dubu there and Aisha/Namjoo to laugh at it. They are children, after all...
Hope y'all have enjoyed a slightly longer chapter this time around.

Playlist: Give it All by Rise Against