Getting Adjusted

Dog and Cat

Jongdae’s nose crinkled at the new housemate he was going to have to share his human with now. She wasn’t a puppy like Joonmyeon declared this morning. 

“Chen, this is Wendy,” Joonmyeon introduced the dog, who took a delayed moment to react to her name. The cat’s glared crinkled further before he looked up at his human. “She’s going to be your sister from now on.”

“Ewe,” Jongdae refused, before showing a grimace at the dog, and stalking back to the kitchen. 

The cat heard the relieved sigh before he heard her soft voice. “Yeah... figures.”

**

Jongdae’s tail thumped against the couch, frustrated with a row he was knitting. The dog’s tail would thump once in a while as she turned the page of a cookbook, occasionally both would glance at the TV in front of them. She would carefully place a sticky note on a page and flip.

This seemed to be their new routine for the past week since Wendy was ‘rescued’ from the shelter when Joonmyeon was at work. When their human arrived, the cat would try to lean on his body and demand attention, and would bristle when Joonmyeon petted the dog for a moment. To say he was jealous... was an exaggeration. He was furious, hurt, and confused; rather than try to move on like Joonmyeon, he would hope that his human would have some common sense and return the dog. Of course, she hadn’t done anything wrong yet, but he had his hopes. 

“Do you like seafood of any kind?” the dog asked, her pointed ears turned just as she turned her head just slightly up at him. The cat wouldn’t allow her to sit on the couch if Joonmyeon was at work, and it tested his patience that she was leaning against it on the floor. 

“What am I, a stereotype?” he hissed, watching her ears lay against her blonde hair. He saw her frown and look back at the book before flipping the page. Watching her react like that pleased him and helped his mood a bit, however soured when she let out a huff. “What?”

Her shoulders dropped and she paused for a second before shaking her head, clearly calming herself down from whatever she wanted to say. He smirked and muttered ,”That’s right, you better watch what you say.”

His eyes widened when she turned around rather quickly to growl at him over her shoulder. They stared at each other with hard eyes for a moment before she turned back and closed the cookbook, and got up before heading upstairs, tail straight with anger. 

**

Joonmyeon reached the bottom stair before he leaned against teh railing, arms and face crossed at the cat. Feigning innocence, the cat smiled up with a curl of his fluffy grey tail. 

“You’re taking Wendy to the park,” the human demanded. 

Jongdae chuckled, “Yeah... right. And be there with a bunch of dogs? No thanks.”

“You don’t have to socialize with them, but you are going to make sure that she does.”

“I am not playing a socialite for that thing.”

“Fine,” Joonmyeon shrugged before approaching him and taking his knitting out of his hand. “Then I am no longer going to supply you with your knitting, and I’ll buy the cereal you hate instead.”

**

“You clearly don’t like me,” Wendy stated as they walked, with the cat in front and the dog trailing behind.
“Wow, you’re such a detective.”

“Your dislike is unjustified,” the dog continued, watching the cat’s tail fluff in irritated. “I know what happened. It’s been over a year. You do realize I had nothing to do with it, right?”

The cat turned his head and rolled his eyes, “No, but you’re proof he’s moving on.”

“And that’s a bad thing?” she asked, rolling her eyes.

“Of course that’s a bad thing,” the cat scoffed, turning back forwards, “But you would know bad things, huh, being a mutt from the pound.”

Wendy stopped in her steps and it took the cat a few seconds before he realized she wasn’t following him. Turning around, he saw her arms were crossed, ears were pointed down and her tail was stick straight. She was completely glaring at him, obviously irritated by his comment. “At least I wasn’t abandoned in a box in a grocery store parking lot.”

Jongdae’s eye twitched at that low blow and before he could retaliate she stormed off to the alley on her left. 

**

Wendy was thankful that her human lived in a grid neighborhood, making her trek back to the house easy. She entered the backyard by  climbing up the tall wooden fence, cursing when she felt a splinter in her hand and then fell clumsily to the ground when she got over.

“My, my, look what the cat dragged in,” she heard from above her, tensing for a moment. He wasn’t a familiar voice nor smell. 

“Do you have to flirt with every hybrid you know?” Her voice wasn’t familiar either. Wendy got up and looked above her, seeing two cats sitting on two branches in the tall oak tree. She looked to the back porch of her house before looking up at the cats, who were watching her curiously. 

“Um... who are you?” Wendy asked, her tail swayed with the question, unsure if she should be skeptical or happy to see other faces. 

“Neighborhood cats,” the white cat smirked before being swatted by the black cat. “Ow!”

“Friends of Chen,” the black cat smiled down at the dog before she started to slowly descend from the tree, “But you’re definitely a new face... but you smell a bit like that house... are you staying there?”

“Um... yeah... I guess.”

“You guess?”

“Well... Joonmyeon’s my human.. And I guess Chen is the cat I live with.”

“Ah... so you’re the new rescue, huh?” the black cat smiled before holding her hand out to shake the dog’s hand. “I’m Lisa, I live just next door.”

“And I’m the cat of your dreams,” The white cat grinned before Lisa picked up a stick and threw it up at him. 

“Excuse Kai, he’s the kind of stray that likes to flirt and mate with anything that has a tail and legs,” Lisa huffed before looking back at the dog, who looked like a skeptator, just watching and taking it all in. “So... do you enjoy living here? I hope Chen’s treating you well.”

Wendy’s eye roll was very obvious and she crossed her arms. “Not exactly.”

“Well, Chensie has always been the type that didn’t like to share,” Kai nodded before he made a swift jump to the ground. “I should know, he nearly killed me when I took an ice lolly from him when we were kittens.”

“Yeah, but you wouldn’t be the sharing type either if you took your abandonment issues a little more to heart,” Lisa replied before reaching out and wrapping her arm around the dog’s. “Well, on behalf of all the cats, I apologize for Chen’s rudeness and give it a year or two... and he might not just glare at you.”

“He doesn’t hold a grudge that long,” Kai replied. 

“Well then he shouldn’t hold a grudge against her for anything,” she retorted before squeezing the dog’s arm. “It’s okay, hun. If you ever need any gal talk, don’t hesitate to come next door. My human is a writer, and she loves having my friends over.”

“And if you ever need a cat scratch--”

“As long as this pup is my friend,” Lisa glares at the white cat, showing some fangs, “You will see her as a thing you can hump against.”

Kai pouted at the restriction before leaning against the tree, his ear twitching. “Okay... what about Chen. He’s a male that lives with her. Are you gonna bite his head off too?”

“You know he’s on that... thing,” Lisa eyed the dog, who was just standing there, sort of paying attention. “Anyways, he’s a bit of purist... he did hang out with Baekhyun for a bit.”

“Who’s he?” the blond pup chimed in, having heard that name once by an annoyed Joonmyeon. 

“Ah, he used to live next door. He was a champion pure-bred beagle,” Kai tilted his head to the other side of the yard, opposite of Lisa’s home. “He had his tail too high up his , and he and Chen, whenever they were ‘forced’ to go to the park, often stood next to each other and gossiped. His human got a promotion and he had to move into the city.”

“Thank the gods for that,” Lisa smirked before diverting the attention to learn more about the dog. “So... which shelter did you come from?”

“Nah-uh,” Wendy chuckled as she pulled away from the cat and took a step closer to the back porch. “I am not unlocking my tragic backstory for a couple of cats I just met.”

“It’s okay, we’ll get it from Chen,” Kai playfully threatened. 

“Well... I hope your time in the shelter,” Lisa started, realizing it was a touchy subject for the pup, “Doesn’t deter you from making friends. I would love to hang with another female more often; there’s too many male cats around here and often humans keep their dogs on a tight leash.”

Wendy looked up at the black cat. Her ears were long and almost...like they were gonna fall of her head, and her tail was skinny.. Lisa too had blonde hair, but she was taller and skinnier than Wendy, wearing shorts and a crop top whereas Wendy suddenly felt a bit subconscious about herself underneath her t-shirt and capris. She knew she was gaining weight ever since she was adopted, but she couldn’t help but marvel at how pretty Lisa was.

“Well... I guess we can hang out now and then,” Wendy gave a one sided smile before dropping her eyes and looking back at the back porch. “Um... do you want something to drink?”

**

Jongdae’s eyes blinked when he saw his friends sitting at the table and Wendy was pouring them something from the pitcher. “What the hell, you’re taking my friends too?”

Lisa scowled at him before throwing her flip flop at him. “Hey, be nice. She’s being a hostess and offered us a drink after we waited for you for a few hours.”

Jongdae looked at Kai, who shrugged, “Don’t be a man. She’s a cute piece of tail.”

“Says the cat who will rut against anything with a tail and legs,” Jongdae sneered at him, before seeming to gag at the idea that anyone wanted to mate with the dog. “Well if you guys are just here for me then, we can hang outside.”

“We were just outside man, it’s cool in here!” Kai whined, his tail thumping against the legs of the chair. “Anyways, we want to get to know Wendy. Why have you been keeping her secret this whole time, man? And here I thought you were getting it on with some random pup, judging by how your scent changed.”

“Ewe,” Jongdae sneered, heading over to the table and pulling out a chair. “As if I would do that with a dog.” Suddenly, Lisa kicked his chair just as he was sitting, watching him with a triumphant smirk on her face when he looked up at her with a hiss.

“What’s wrong with mating with a dog? Sounds a little bit purist for you, huh?”

“You and Bam Bam don’t count,” Jongdae huffed, his tail fluffing up in irritation. “You guys have smelled like each other since you were a kitten anyways.”

Lisa rolled her eyes before crossing her legs, “You really shouldn’t be so close minded Chen. I bet you wouldn’t be saying this stuff if you go off your meds.”

“I am completely and utterly fine, thank you Lisa,” Jongdae growled, nearly jumping out of his whiskers when Wendy suddenly appeared next to him, giving the two other cats a glass of pink lemonade. He almost forgot she was even there, but her scent was there. “Anyways,there’s no need to talk about such private things.”

“Chen here takes anti- pills!” Kai pointed at the grey cat, grinning like an idiot before Jongdae reached out and swatting at him, pulling the balck cat closer by the tail so he could properly hit him. 

Wendy nodded before she returned back to the counter and set down a glass for her housemate. “I already knew that. Joonmyeon told me, in case I was worried about living with a male cat.”

“Did you know that if he goes even one day off the pill, he gets incredibly aggravated and will seek any piece of tail--”

Jongdae was successful in getting his hands around the cat’s neck before Lisa kicked the grey cat, stopping all action. “Shut up, Kai. Let Chen be, he’s already pissed enough.”

Kai pouted at the command, knowing he was beaten. He looked up to see the pup, who was making a snack for everyone. “Is... she always like a housewife?”

“No,” Wendy said before looking up at the cats. “But if you were hanging out, maybe you want some food?”

Lisa’s tail flickered. “Aren’t you gonna join us?”

Wendy looked over at Jongdae, who wasn’t looking at her, instead burning a spot on the table with a concentrated glare. She gave a half-sadden, half-relieved smile as she cut up the oranges and cheese. “I think Chen wants his turn to socialize, so I’ll just be upstairs in my room.”

“I’m coming with!” Lisa announced as she bounced up and immediately hugged the dog’s arm, practically purring. The dog looked at her with shock; Kai with a happy smirk because that was so Lisa; and Chen with a growing glare. Lisa blinked before flipping the grey cat off. “I haven’t had a female friend in forever, and it’s so obvious someone should be her friend. Don’t you want to be friends?” She pouted at Lisa, and the dog sighed. It didn’t seem like she had much of a choice. 

 

Joonmyeon came home and looked stiffly at the white cat whose feet were on top of the coffee table. He wasn’t exactly Kai’s fan... for a few reasons, despite the cat being persistent on showing the human that he wasn’t the bad kind of stray... despite the fact he kind of was. “Where’s Wendy?”

“Upstairs with Lisa,” Kai responded, knowing Jongdae wasn’t going to give an answer. 

“Oh, Lisa’s here? That’s nice... maybe Lisa’s good influence will help Wendy get a bit more comfortable here,” Joonmyeon said in passing, setting his bag to the side as he went to ruffle Jongdae’s head, who was trying to not enjoy it. It was so uncomfortable to be affectionate towards your human in front of your friends.

“Hey, Suho,” Kai looked up at him with a held tilt, “Aren’t you kind of lonely? Did you get Wendy to not be lonely? If Lisa’s gonna be her friend and I’m Chen’s best friend--

“--like hell you are--”

“--Then shouldn’t you get yourself a human friend too?”

Joonmyeon thought about how he had tried to domesticate Kai since he and Jongdae first became friends, and gave the cat a small smile before also ruffling his head. “I thank you for the concern, Kai, but I have friends. I just like to seperate my social life from my private life.”

“That sounds lonely. You should get a girlfriend.”

Jongdae looked to glare at him, which didn’t match the human’s surprised stare. Kai’s tail flickered before he realized why he was being looked at weirdly. “It’s been a year, Chen!”

Before any conversation could persist, Lisa bounded down the stairs with a quiet Wendy in tow. Unlike the gray cat, Wendy immediately approached Joonmyeon for some head pats. Being the kind human he was, Joonmyeon also gave Lisa a pat on the head.


Well..... i expect mixed reactions. Much Love, iAmKel