It's You

It's You

Music for the story

Everybody is in the office working together on a project. They are all in the meeting room.

"Doori," Hyunwoo says. He hands her a document. "Will you take a look at this for me?"

"Sure," Doori says. She looks at the document. "It looks fine."

The man smiles. "Thank you." He takes his document again.

Doori sneezes.

"Are you okay," Hye Rim asks her. Doori is the closest to this female coworker. "You've been sneezing a lot lately."

"I think I must be catching a cold," Doori says. 

"You're working too hard. Why don't you take a few days off?"

"It's okay. It's not that bad."

Taeyang and Ji Hyeon are sitting next to each other. They are working together, but they are also laughing and playing with each other.

"Will you two lovers stop fooling around and help us work, so we can all go home," Sungwoo the director asks.

"Yes, sir," Ji Hyeon replies. She is smiling widely. 

The sun has set, and everyone is still in the office.

Hyunwoo stretches. "We're finally done," he shouts happily.

Everyone else stretches.

"Let's go out for dinner," Sungwoo suggests. "My treat."

Everyone cheers and starts packing up.

"You guys go ahead," Doori says. "I'm not feeling well, so I'm going to go home."

"Did your cold get worse," Hye Rim asks. "Should I walk you home?"

"It's okay," Doori replies. "Go have fun with the others. I'll be fine."

"Call me if anything happens."

Doori nods her head.

Everyone except Doori is walking and talking about what they should have for dinner.

“Chicken,” Hyunwoo suggests.

“No,” Hye Rim says. “Sushi.”

“Are you kidding me? Sushi is so expensive.”

“Chicken feet and beer,”Ji Hyeon says.

“That sounds good,” Hyunwoo agrees.

“Okay,” Sungwoo says. “Let’s go!”

Taeyang isn’t saying anything. His mind is not with them. 

“Guys,” Taeyang says. “I just remember I have something important to do. Go on without me.”

“Awe,” Hye Rim says.

“Sorry,” Taeyang replies. “I’ll be sure to make it next time.” Taeyang turns around and walks away.

 

Doori is walking home. She is already in her neighborhood. The neighborhood is quiet. The street lamps are on to light up the neighborhood.

Doori coughs into her left hand. She sniffles. Doori hugs herself because she feels cold. 

“Doori,” a man calls. Doori turns around and sees Taeyang running toward her.

“Taeyang,” Doori says. “What are you doing here? Did dinner end early?”

“No,” Taeyang replies. He catches his breath. “I left early. I told them I had something important to do.” He gives her a white plastic bag. “That’s for you. It’ll make your cold better.”

Doori accepts the bag and looks inside the bag. “You left early to buy me medicine? I’m the important thing you had to go to? You didn’t have to. I have medicine at home.”

“This medicine is supposed to be the best cure for colds, and of course. You’re very important. You can’t be sick.”

“Why? Because you don’t want to do my work? Don’t worry. Even if I’m sick, I won’t skip work unless my cold is very bad.”

“No. I wouldn’t mind doing your work,” Taeyang says. “But there’s another reason.”

“What is it?”

Taeyang takes a deep breath. “Let me walk you home.”

“I’m almost home. It’s just right there,” Doori replies.

“Still. I want to walk you the rest of the way.”

“Sure.”

They start walking.

“We’re here,” Doori says.

“Wow,” Taeyang says. “That was fast.”

“I told you my house is right here.”

Doori and Taeyang are standing at the bottom of the steps. 

“Oh yeah,” Doori starts. “What were you going to say back there?”

“Um,” Taeyang finds the right words to say. “I was going to say that there’s another reason why I don’t want you to be sick.”

“What is it?”

“Because I like you.”

“Huh?”

“Seeing you sick makes me worried about you, so quickly get better. It’s the weekend now, so make sure to rest and eat well.”

Doori is still too stunned to say anything.

“Make sure to take two pills before you go to bed,” Taeyang says. He waves to Doori and smiles at her. “Goodnight,” he says.

“Goodnight,” Doori breathes.

She slowly turns around and heads up to her front door. She unlocks it and enters her home. The door closes behind her, and she is finally back to reality.

“Taeyang just confessed to me,” Doori says. “He confessed to me! But isn’t he dating Hye Rim?” She turns around and opens the door. Doori looks at the bottom of the steps, but Taeyang is already gone. "Why did your brain have to go blank at that moment," Doori scolds herself. 

The next day, Doori is still asleep in bed, but she wakes up to a knock on the door. Doori drags herself out of bed and answers the door.

"Were you still sleeping," Taeyang asks. "Sorry. I woke you up didn't I?"

Doori is still drowsy, but she is combing her hair with her fingers.

"I took the medicine you gave me last night, and I'm still drowsy from it," Doori says.

"Go back to sleep," Taeyang says. "I'll come back later."

Doori closes the door and locks it before she crawls back into bed. 

Three hours past. 

Doori is finally up. She washes herself and heads to the kitchen to find food, but there is a knock on the door. Doori answers it.

"You're awake," Taeyang says. "I thought I came too early again."

"I just woke up," Doori replies.

"Have you eaten?"

Doori shakes her head.

"Perfect," Taeyang says. He shows her a white plastic bag. "I bought food."

Doori invites Taeyang in. They are sitting on the dining table. Doori is eating while Taeyang is watching her.

"Did you eat yet," Doori asks.

Taeyang nods his head. "I ate already. How's your cold?"

"I'm not sneezing anymore," Doori replies. "But I have a really sore throat."

"Good thing I bought you soup."

Doori nods her head. "It feels really good, and it tastes very good too."

"I'm glad."

Doori takes a bite.

"Should I stay," Taeyang asks.

Doori looks up surprised.

"Don't get me wrong," Taeyang says. "I just wanted to take care of you. I'll make you lunch and dinner. Am I being weird? I'll just go home."

"Last night," Doori says. "You said you liked me."

Taeyang nods his head. "I do. I'm also not expecting an answer from you. It's okay if you don't like me back, but I will keep liking you no matter what your answer is."

"I thought you were dating Hye Rim."

"Hye Rim? No. We're just coworkers. Who told you that?"

"No one. Everyone in the office just assumes since you two are always so playful with each other."

Taeyang laughs. "No. We're not dating."

"Ahh," Doori says. 

"I'll go home after this and come back tomorrow to check up on you."

"You can stay."

"Huh?"

"I want to taste your food."

Taeyang smiles. "Okay."

Doori starts coughing. 

"Are you okay," Taeyang asks.

"My throat is itchy," Doori says. "Can I have some warm water?"

"Of course."

Taeyang stands up and starts looking around for a cup. Once he finds it, he pours her a warm cup of water.

"Thank you," Doori says. She takes the cup and takes a drink. Doori swallows and coughs. 

"Are you okay," Taeyang asks.

Doori nods her head.

After breakfast, Doori is lying in bed while Taeyang is making lunch.

When lunch is ready, Taeyang calls Doori to eat.

"Did you eat the medicine," Taeyang asks. 

"I'll eat it after this," Doori replies. She takes a bite of the soup that Taeyang made. "Mmm," Doori hums. "It's very flavorful."

"Thank you. I didn't know if you'd like it."

"It's great. Do you cook often?"

Taeyang shakes his head. "This is my fourth time cooking."

"You must be a natural."

"You're flattering me."

Doori takes two pills after lunch. 

Doori and Taeyang are watching tv together. Doori is sitting on the couch while Taeyang is sitting on the ground.

Taeyang laughs as he watches TV.

"That's so funny," Taeyang laughs. "Doori."

He turns around to see Doori sleeping on the couch. Taeyang turns his body toward her and stares at her sleeping face. She looks so peaceful. He raises his hand and puts a strand of hair behind her ear. 

Doori stirs in her sleep. She opens her eyes.

"Sorry," Taeyang says. "Did I wake you?"

"What time is it," Doori asks.

"3:45."

Doori sits up. She still feels groggy.

"Why don't you go sleep in bed," Taeyang says.

"I want water," Doori says.

"Sure."

Taeyang gives Doori a warm cup of water.

Doori stands up and falls on the couch again. She puts her hand to her throbbing head.

"I'll help you," Taeyang says. He helps her up and holds her close to him. They take a step, but Doori falters. Her head falls on Taeyang's shoulder.

"My head feels so heavy," she says.

Taeyang puts his hand behind her knees and carries her to bed. He lies her down and fixes the blanket on her.

Doori immediately falls asleep. When she wakes up, the time is eight. Doori walks to the living room. Taeyang is no longer in the house, but he did make her dinner and left her a note.

"I made dinner," the note starts. "It's on the stove. Heat it up before you eat it. I'll be back in the morning to check up on you. Feel better!"

Doori eats the food Taeyang made.

"Mmm," she hums. "It's great again."

The next day, Taeyang visits Doori again.

They are sitting at the dining room table. This time, the two of them are eating together.

"Do you feel better today," Taeyang asks.

"I do. It's all thanks to the medicine you bought me."

"It's my pleasure."

After breakfast, Doori and Taeyang are watching tv again. Doori is sitting on the couch while Taeyang is on the ground.

“Is your throat still sore,” Taeyang asks Doori.

“Just a little,” Doori replies.

“And you stopped sneezing?”

“Yes.”

“No running nose?”

“Just a little.”

“Should I make you lunch and dinner again?”

“You’re a really good cook.”

“Thank you. Does that mean yes?”

“Yes. Do you want to sit on the couch with me? Isn’t it uncomfortable down there?”

Taeyang joins Doori on the couch.

“What do you want for lunch,” Taeyang asks.

“How about soup again,” Doori suggests. “My throat is telling me it wants soup.”

“Sure.”

During lunch time, Taeyang is making lunch for Doori. Doori is still watching tv. She coughs here and there. At the end, Doori is bored, so she goes in the kitchen.

“Are you almost done,” Doori asks Taeyang. She stands next to him.

“Yes,” Taeyang replies. He is stirring the pot. “Are you hungry?”

“No. I’m just bored.” Doori walks around and empties the trash can. 

“I’ll take it out,” Taeyang says. 

“It’s okay. I got it.” Doori walks outside and throws the trash into the trash bin.

She turns around and feels her head swaying. Doori catches her balance.

“Are you okay,” Taeyang asks. He runs down the stairs and catches Doori’s shoulder.

“Yes,” Doori replies. “I just felt light headed.”

“Let’s go inside. It’s really hot out here maybe that’s why you feel light headed.” Taeyang holds Doori close to him and helps her up the stairs. Taeyang sits Doori down on the couch.

She lies back on the couch.

“I’ll go get you some water,” Taeyang says. He comes back and gives Doori the cup.

She accepts it and drinks from it. “Thank you,” Doori says. 

“You’re welcome. Lunch is ready, do you want some?”

Doori nods her head.

Taeyang gives Doori a bowl. She starts eating.

“Do you feel better,” Taeyang asks.

Doori nods her head. “Thank you. I think you should go home.”

“Why? You don’t want me to be here? I’ll go if you really want me to go.”

“It’s not that. I don’t want you to be sick with me.”

Taeyang smiles. “It’s okay. I’ll be fine.”

“Why don’t you eat?”

“I will.”

Taeyang joins Doori on the couch. They eat together.

“I’ll take your bowl,” Taeyang says after they are done. He washes the bowls and puts them away before he joins her again. “Did you eat your medicine?”

“I did.”

“Want to go to bed? You’ll be drowsy soon.”

Doori relocates to her bed. Taeyang tucks her in. Doori sits up.

“What’s wrong,” Taeyang asks.

“Are you going to leave,” Doori asks.

“After I make you dinner. I’ll be back tomorrow. Should I not come back?”

“No,” Doori says. “You can come back.”

Taeyang sits on the bed.

“Do you not feel uncomfortable with me here,” he asks.

“No,” Doori replies. “I feel comfortable with you here. If I didn’t feel comfortable with you, I wouldn’t let you stay here.”

Taeyang smiles. “I’m glad.” His phone suddenly rings. He sees who is calling him. “Hello,” Taeyang says into the phone. He pauses. “I can’t right now, but I will be able to at six. Okay.” Taeyang hangs up. 

“Who was that,” Doori asks.

“Ji Hyeon,” Taeyang replies.

“What did she want?”

“She wanted to go out to dinner.”

“Do you two go out to dinner often?”

“No. This is our first time going to dinner alone.”

“Taeyang,” Doori says after a pause. “I know you said that there’s nothing going on between you and Ji Hyeon, and I have no right to tell you what to do, but can you not go? I sound totally insane I know, but it makes me jealous to imagine you to be with her.”

“What are you saying?”

“I like you,” Doori pauses. “Very much.”

Doori is trembling. Her heart is pounding, and she is scared to hear Taeyang’s reaction.

“Really,” Taeyang asks.

Doori nods her head.

He feels his world brighten. His heart is exploding. 

“I still like you too,” Taeyang continues. “A lot.”

Doori smiles. She feels shy all of a sudden.

Taeyang is also smiling. He feels so happy that he presses his lips on Doori’s. 

Doori pulls away from the peck. “You’ll catch my cold,” she says.

“That doesn’t matter.”

“We can’t both be sick.”

“Then I’ll take your cold away from you.”

Taeyang caresses the nape of her neck and pulls her in for a kiss. He moves his lips on hers.

Doori feels her heart increasing. Butterflies are swarming in her stomach. She raises her arms and places them on his shoulders. Doori squeezes his shoulders. Slowly, her body is feeling numb.

Taeyang pulls away from the kiss. Then, he gives her a peck on the lips. They open their eyes.

“As much as I’m enjoying this,” Doori says. “I’m so drowsy.”

Taeyang nods his head. “Go ahead and sleep,” he says. “I’ll go make dinner.”

She lies down and immediately falls asleep.

Taeyang fixes the blanket on her. He kisses her on the forehead and leaves the bedroom.

Three hours have gone by. Doori is finally awake. She walks to the living room and sees Taeyang watching tv.

“You’re still here,” Doori asks.

Taeyang nods his head. “How are you feeling?”

“Drowsy.” Doori joins Taeyang on the couch. She lies her head on his shoulder.

“I made dinner,” Taeyang says.

“Why are you still here? I thought you were going to leave after you make dinner.”

“I wanted to be with you for a little longer.”

“How about Ji Hyeon?”

“I told her I couldn’t go.”

“Thank you,” Doori says. She hugs his arm. “For being considerate of me.”

“How can I make my girlfriend jealous?”

“I think I said what I said because I wasn’t sure about your feelings. Sure you confessed to me, but people change. I thought maybe you changed.”

“I would never. I’ll always love you.”

Doori raises her head and looks at Taeyang. 

“Since I know that you love me,” Doori says. “I won’t tell you who you can and can’t hang out with because I trust you.”

“Me too,” Taeyang replies.

They smile at one another.

Taeyang turns his head and sneezes.

“You caught my cold,” Doori says.

“I said I’d take it away from you,” Taeyang replies.

“I’ll take care of you this time.”

Doori puts her arms around Taeyang’s waist and tightly hugs him.

Taeyang hugs her back.