End.

Love My Way

There hasn’t been a wedding in the past 25 years of living on this earth Byulyi has attended where they didn’t play a single 80’s song. 

 

There surely had to be some sort of music arithmetic that caused groups of high-pitched squealing 30-something’s ladies and drunk uncles running to the dance floor every time the poorly paid deejay leeways ‘Come On Eileen’ into the already dreadful playlist.

 

Byulyi watched through hazy eyes, the party twirling and shimming on the crowded oak floors. The dinner party she was ushered to sit beside had rushed to the dance floor as soon as the notes to ‘Take On Me’ began to play and they haven’t stopped dancing ever since.

 

Already jaded by the thought of weddings (and especially the reception), Byulyi opted to stay behind and order as much free booze as she could.

 

Four glasses of wine in, and currently sipping on her fifth, Byulyi was more than tipsy. She slouched on a uncomfortable chair, rather unpleasantly with her legs open, and leaned an arm across the top rail the seat beside her. She was glad she opted for a pantsuit so she could at least have some dignity, even though she had already managed to the first two buttons of her dress shirt.

 

The bride bunched her dress at the knees and went in for a comical interpretation for a twerk, and the guests encouraged her with cheers and shouts. Even Byulyi cracked a smile watching her friend go at it on her special day.

 

Though from across the room, Byulyi recognized another ‘friend’. It was hard not to when that said friend was head to toe covered in sequins that sparkle and dazzle when the light hit it just right. She stood out like a sore thumb, possibly even overshadowing the bride.

 

But that was sooo typically ‘friend’. Who was more ‘friend of a friend’ after the years went on and the two grew apart. Byulyi hadn’t even expected to see her tonight since the girl was always doing her own thing now that she was ‘famous’.

 

Sitting lonesome at her table, circled Byulyi finger around her wine glass that whistled a gentle song, barely heard of the music over the speakers. She pondered if it would be imprudent for her to go greet ‘friend’ and maybe catch up? 

 

No. That would be too much. What would she say? ‘Hey, sorry for standing you up in high school? I went out to house party instead.’ Or maybe ‘Hey you! Heard your a big idol now! Can I get your autograph?’

 

Byulyi shook those thoughts out of her head as quickly as they entered. Who was she kidding? That ‘friend’ is better off without Byulyi in her life anyways and who is Byulyi to overstep her boundaries after everything she had put the poor girl through?

 

Finishing off the rest of her wine in one gulp. Byulyi gestured to the waiter, who acknowledged her with a nod and holding up a finger to wait while he took another guests order. 

 

She waited, drumming her fingers against the cheap clothed table, and peaked over once again to the seat across the pond to no avail. Her fixation managed to disappear in thin air and it left her feeling hollow. 

 

Perhaps if she had a way to go back in time and change her mistakes she most definitely would. Only to catch a glimpse of that ‘friends’ infectious bubbly smile once again.

 

The tempo changed on cue, softly playing the opening chords to ‘Time After Time’. The bride and the groom immediately locked into a slow dance with those around them following suit.

 

A figure approached her and she straightened herself up courteously.

 

“Another glass?” The waiter asked. His words posh as if they were said in cursive.

 

Byulyi waved her hand in dismissal, “No, please bring me a water and two ibuprofens I know you’ve got stashed back there.”

 

The waiter quirked his eyebrow but nodded nonetheless and walked away leaving her alone with her thoughts.

 

“.” She muttered, under her breath. “I hate this song.”

 

Someone sat in the chair Byulyi’s arm was draped over and she was caught off guard, quickly removing it and instinctually went to apologize. Though, when she realized who it was she was left breathless. 

 

“It’s not too bad. It could be worse you know.” The brunette winked. Byulyi was taken aback and continued to stare wide-eyed. “Moon Byulyi, surprised to see you here. I didn’t know you believed in commitment.”

 

Ouch — that was definitely a jab straight to the heart.

 

“Yongsun.”

 

“What? Starstruck?” Yongsun teased.

 

So what? Maybe she was? It’s hard not to be when the girl Byulyi had known as an pretty but introverted school girl is now a celebrity with their together better than most people they attended high school with.

 

Byulyi shook her head, coming back to her senses. It must be all the wine in her head making her thoughts all jumbled and nonsensical. Yes, that’s it.

 

“I didn’t know idols were allowed to leave their shackles.” Byulyi responded, a tad more bitter than she intended.

 

“We’re not. I picked the lock.” Yongsun cheekily responded and Byulyi cracked a smile smile. “It’s been a while, how are you?”

 

Byulyi sighed relaxing into her seat, “Good, good. Normal people stuff.”

 

“And what might that intel?” 

 

“Going to the office at the crack of dawn and staring at a computer monitor till your eyes bleed. Nothing you would understand.”

 

“Riiiight.” Yongsun trailed, obviously not impressed. “Is that what you do now? Office lady?”

 

Byulyi hummed in confirmation.

 

“What happened to wanting to become a policewoman?”

 

That reminder slightly came to a shock. Byulyi totally forgot about that dream years ago.

 

“How did you remember that?”

 

“How could I forget? That’s all you could talk about in high school.” Byulyi blushed in remembrance. “Well, before you discovered how much you love alcohol.”

 

The waiter returned, careful not to interrupt their conversation. He carefully set down the glass of water and pain meds Byulyi had ordered on the placemat in front of her. He bowed and went on his way.

 

“Please. I don’t drink nearly as much as I used to.” Byulyi scoffed, taking the two pills in her hands and placing them into . Yongsun watched Byulyi down her water in two gulps. “The only exception being important events.”

 

Yongsun hummed nodding her head, and Byulyi knew the latter didn’t bother to believe her. That’s due to the fact that alcohol was, at one point, more important than a lot of things in her life and that included people.

 

The music had shifted to romantically cheesy to straight up classic 80s workout routine vhs cheesy. The crowd was impeccably keeping up with pace, doing the sprinkler, chicken, and who could forget, the robot.

 

“Hey,” Yongsun muttered tapping Byulyi’s shoulder. Byulyi leaned in, resting her arm on the rial of Yongsun’s chair. “I didn’t think we would ever get a chance to meet again.”

 

Byulyi let out a sigh and made eye contact with the person sitting beside her. Yongsun stared back at her with expectation and it sent a chill down Byulyi’s spine.

 

How after all this time, could someone as talented, beautiful, and amazing as Yongsun, look at her like she was significant. 

 

Byulyi life had been stagnate for years. As the friends and coworkers around her began their lives with new families and careers they loved, Byulyi remained the same. Eating ramen noodles at a corner convenient store at midnight, returning home to her ty studio appointment on the sketchy side of town, no girlfriend, no kids. Stuck.

 

And the look Yongsun gave meant so much. As if destiny or fate or luck, was on her side and finally allowed her to move on from the past. This is an open door to new opportunities and she didn’t want to it up again.

 

“Would you... would you like to dance?”

 

“Are you serious?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Yongsun could hardly repress her smile. Byulyi really felt like she had scored the winning goal.

 

Standing up, Byulyi offered her hand to Yongsun, who accepted it without hesitation. She then led Yongsun to the dance floor and swept Yongsun close. Yongsun enveloped her hands around Byulyi’s neck and leaned her head against her heart. Byulyi held onto Yongsun’s waist, and thanked God this was at least a good 80s song.

 

The attendees passionately sang along to the lyrics holding their partners close and animatedly played air guitars and drums. Even the guests sitting in their seats knew every word to the song. 

The nostalgic tune was ingrained in everyone’s head at this point. Even the baby in its grandmothers lap seemed to know the lyrics, or at least one day they will.

Yongsun squeezed Byulyi tighter against her. Byulyi could’ve sworn she could feel goosebumps against her neck. She gave Yongsun a reassuring on the back to let her know she felt it too. 

 

Time had passed and the two have moved on, but the connection lingered. Byulyi had many regrets. She regrets her decisions and she wished she had realized what she had before she lost it. She was grateful for right now. This moment. Yongsun in her arms, stepping side to side to a beat about hope and dreams. 

 

“I’m sorry I wasn’t the person you hoped I was.”

 

Yongsun pulled back a little to look at Byulyi, shaking her head disapprovingly, “That was so long ago. It doesn’t matter now.”

 

“What can I do to make it up to you?”

 

“First, you gotta stop blaming yourself and don’t feel any pity for me. Second, candle light dinner on you at your choice restaurant.” She finished with a light laugh.

 

“Aren’t you banned from dating or something?” Byulyi joked.

 

“Yeah from dating boys, nobody said anything about girls.” Yongsun winked playfully and Byulyi swooned.

 

“Does Friday night sound good to you?

 

“Absolutely.”

 

They paused, relishing on the blissful reunion. Byulyi’s eyes blinked and landed on Yongsun’s red stained lips. Instinctively, she her lips and leaned down to seal their lips. Their eyes fluttered closed and their bodies pressed together.

 

A squealing bride approached Byulyi and Yongsun breaking them apart with a gasp.  Their eyes shot open, mouths open heaving from the whiplash.

 

“You guys should’ve told me you were a couple! I would’ve sat you together! How embarrassing!”

 

The two blushed barely able to glance at one another. Byulyi scratched the back of her neck out of nervous habit. “It’s all good, uh. Thanks for inviting us. Your wedding is really beautiful.”

 

“Aww,” the bride cooed, pinching Byulyi’s cheek. “I’m starting to think you secretly love weddings.”

 

“You know, I had the exact same thought.” Yongsun interjected.

 

Byulyi’s nose crinkled as she smiled down at Yongsun. “I’m comin around.”

 

At the same moment, Yongsun’s eyes twinkled under her gaze. The bride grinned and excused herself under her breath.

 

“Where were we?” Byulyi asked pulling Yongsun’s body flush against her own.

 

Yongsun smirked and held Byulyi’s warm cheeks in her hands. She brushed her fingers against the soft skin and Byulyi leaned in to the delicate touch of the woman held dear to her heart.

 

She may have broken Yongsun’s heart years ago, and she had internalized the regrettable decision since, but this was the second chance she had been waiting for. And there is no way she was ever letting go

 

Yongsun tilted her face up, biting her lip in anticipation. Her brown orbs were completely captivating and she smelled of vanilla and vodka. 

 

Byulyi’s heart began to race in her chest. Without any doubts, Byulyi leaned down and captured Yongsun’s lips in her own. And she didn’t stop ‘til the worst 80s song began to play. 

 

The safety dance.

 


 

If u can guess what 80s song they slow danced to I’ll add a rated M chapter hdhdhd. Hi I love u all and I really hope u enjoy this nonsensical story. It’s been sitting in my drafts but Love My Way started playing on the radio and I remembered I had this story. 

Ill edit it sometime but ye thank u for reading :)